f



Best BBC Micro/Acorn Archimedes emulator?

My Dad used to own these computers in his school and all his favourite
old games and apps were on them.

I'm using BeebEm at the moment, but it has some issues. The sound
glitches terribly on 11k - which tends to sound better since it's
filtered like synths are meant to be. The fullscreen mode is also
awkward, not having a proper key combination that toggles it. Also,
the "screen modes" almost always tend to be too dark - some kind of
colour/brightness adjust is needed. Wouldn't mind a palette editor.
I'm playing Ravenskull and it just looks hideous with colours.
Lowering the saturation in general would help as those old monitors
tending not to be this glaring which is how they could get away and
why they picked those colours.

If there's an emu that can use BeebEm's savestate format(or a
converter) that would be great.

It's very upsetting the relative lack of Acorn resources these days! I
wish there was an active messageboard to chat about the "good ol'
days".

0
wetflame (9)
10/20/2007 8:36:42 PM
comp.sys.acorn.misc 5707 articles. 0 followers. michael104 (366) is leader. Post Follow

10 Replies
663 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 53

In message <1192912602.096092.187180@z24g2000prh.googlegroups.com>
          I Am Not A Rhombus <wetflame@gmail.com> wrote:

> My Dad used to own these computers in his school and all his favourite
> old games and apps were on them.

> I'm using BeebEm at the moment, but it has some issues. The sound
> glitches terribly on 11k - which tends to sound better since it's
> filtered like synths are meant to be. The fullscreen mode is also
> awkward, not having a proper key combination that toggles it. Also,
> the "screen modes" almost always tend to be too dark - some kind of
> colour/brightness adjust is needed. Wouldn't mind a palette editor.
> I'm playing Ravenskull and it just looks hideous with colours.
> Lowering the saturation in general would help as those old monitors
> tending not to be this glaring which is how they could get away and
> why they picked those colours.

> If there's an emu that can use BeebEm's savestate format(or a
> converter) that would be great.

> It's very upsetting the relative lack of Acorn resources these days! I
> wish there was an active messageboard to chat about the "good ol'
> days".

There is Virtual Acorn http://www.virtualacorn.co.uk .  This enables 
you to run RISC OS software under full RISC OS emulation on a  Windows 
or MAC computer.

Alternatively you could always purchase a second hand machine.
APDL, http://www.apdl.co.uk usually have some in stock as do CJE 
micros www.cjemicros.co.uk .  Price depends on machine.  You can also 
Ebay, http://search.ebay.co.uk/risc-os .

Regards
-- 
Paul Stewart -  Far Bletchley, Milton Keynes, England.
(msn:sa110@hotmail.com)

Be Bold.  Dare To Be Different.  Use RISC OS (http://www.riscos.com).
It's blue and from outta town - The A9home 
(http://www.advantage6.co.uk/A9hsplash.html).
A9home Compatibility page - 
(http://www.phawfaux.co.uk/a9home/compatibility.asp).
0
paulstewart (757)
10/20/2007 9:01:23 PM
Hi,

In the subject you asked about "BBC Micro/Archimedes" emulators but the
body of your post looks like you're just interested in BBCs - is that
right?


> It's very upsetting the relative lack of Acorn resources these days! I
> wish there was an active messageboard to chat about the "good ol'
> days".

You should read the telegraph ;)

They've got a selection of links for retro-beeb stuff:
http://tinyurl.com/22zetg 

Adam

-- 
Adam Richardson          Carpe Diem
http://www.snowstone.org.uk/riscos/
0
news4275 (1182)
10/20/2007 9:06:29 PM
In message <1192912602.096092.187180@z24g2000prh.googlegroups.com>
          I Am Not A Rhombus <wetflame@gmail.com> wrote:

> My Dad used to own these computers in his school and all his favourite
> old games and apps were on them.

> I'm using BeebEm at the moment, but it has some issues. The sound
> glitches terribly on 11k - which tends to sound better since it's
> filtered like synths are meant to be. The fullscreen mode is also
> awkward, not having a proper key combination that toggles it. Also,
> the "screen modes" almost always tend to be too dark - some kind of
> colour/brightness adjust is needed. Wouldn't mind a palette editor.
> I'm playing Ravenskull and it just looks hideous with colours.
> Lowering the saturation in general would help as those old monitors
> tending not to be this glaring which is how they could get away and
> why they picked those colours.

> If there's an emu that can use BeebEm's savestate format(or a
> converter) that would be great.

> It's very upsetting the relative lack of Acorn resources these days! I
> wish there was an active messageboard to chat about the "good ol'
> days".

www.stairwaytohell.com a BBC Micro site has an active forum on there where you can chat about the good old days of the BBC.

Matthew




-- 

 Message sent from an IYONIX www.iyonix.com
 Using RISC OS 5 : RISC OS Open Ltd www.riscosopen.co.uk
 
0
mt65 (154)
10/21/2007 9:32:59 AM
On 21 Oct 2007 Matthew Thompson <mt@REMOVETHISred-squirrel.com> wrote:
> www.stairwaytohell.com a BBC Micro site has an active forum on there
> where you can chat about the good old days of the BBC.

A prime example of pointless use of javascript to dynamically build a 
frameset. That copy of Adobe PageMill needs to be inserted where the 
sun dont shine.

---druck

-- 
The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/
The 32bit Conversions Page - http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/
0
news5843 (7461)
10/21/2007 10:38:05 AM
In message <3a9f36354f.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
          druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:

> On 21 Oct 2007 Matthew Thompson <mt@REMOVETHISred-squirrel.com> wrote:
>> www.stairwaytohell.com a BBC Micro site has an active forum on there
>> where you can chat about the good old days of the BBC.

> A prime example of pointless use of javascript to dynamically build a
> frameset. That copy of Adobe PageMill needs to be inserted where the
> sun dont shine.

Totally agree, it's a brilliant website, but a nightmare to use under 
RISC OS, totally blank under NetSurf and Oregano 2 always crashes!

Matthew




-- 

 Message sent from an IYONIX www.iyonix.com
 Using RISC OS 5 : RISC OS Open Ltd www.riscosopen.co.uk
 
0
mt65 (154)
10/21/2007 1:19:07 PM
In message <af5d45354f.MThompson@mt.riscos.org>
          Matthew Thompson <mt@REMOVETHISred-squirrel.com> wrote:

> In message <3a9f36354f.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
>           druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
> 
>> On 21 Oct 2007 Matthew Thompson <mt@REMOVETHISred-squirrel.com> wrote:
>>> www.stairwaytohell.com a BBC Micro site has an active forum on there
>>> where you can chat about the good old days of the BBC.
> 
>> A prime example of pointless use of javascript to dynamically build a
>> frameset. That copy of Adobe PageMill needs to be inserted where the
>> sun dont shine.
> 
> Totally agree, it's a brilliant website, but a nightmare to use under
> RISC OS, totally blank under NetSurf and Oregano 2 always crashes!
> 
DaveM does know about it.

Andrew


-- 

0
10/21/2007 4:46:36 PM
Matthew Thompson <mt@REMOVETHISred-squirrel.com> wrote:

> In message <3a9f36354f.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
>           druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
> 
> > On 21 Oct 2007 Matthew Thompson <mt@REMOVETHISred-squirrel.com> wrote:
> >> www.stairwaytohell.com a BBC Micro site has an active forum on there
> >> where you can chat about the good old days of the BBC.
> 
> > A prime example of pointless use of javascript to dynamically build a
> > frameset. That copy of Adobe PageMill needs to be inserted where the
> > sun dont shine.
> 
> Totally agree, it's a brilliant website, but a nightmare to use under 
> RISC OS, totally blank under NetSurf and Oregano 2 always crashes!
> 
Oregano 1 works perfectly on it (if you have it) and I guess Firefox would
work.
Under Windows, any reasonably competant browser works even going as far back
as Netscape Navigator 4!

Cheers!

-- 
Graham
Website - http://www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk
0
thedoctor3 (634)
10/21/2007 7:19:40 PM
On 21 Oct 2007 fwibbler <thedoctor@thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk> 
wrote:
> Matthew Thompson <mt@REMOVETHISred-squirrel.com> wrote:
>> In message <3a9f36354f.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
>>           druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
>> 
>>> On 21 Oct 2007 Matthew Thompson <mt@REMOVETHISred-squirrel.com> wrote:
>>>> www.stairwaytohell.com a BBC Micro site has an active forum on there
>>>> where you can chat about the good old days of the BBC.
>> 
>>> A prime example of pointless use of javascript to dynamically build a
>>> frameset. That copy of Adobe PageMill needs to be inserted where the
>>> sun dont shine.
>> 
>> Totally agree, it's a brilliant website, but a nightmare to use under
>> RISC OS, totally blank under NetSurf and Oregano 2 always crashes!
>> 
> Oregano 1 works perfectly on it (if you have it) and I guess Firefox would
> work. Under Windows, any reasonably competant browser works even going
> as far back as Netscape Navigator 4!

Try it with scripting turned off, as most sensible corporations now 
mandate in their Internet security policies. Using javascript to 
dynamically create non changing framesets is utterly pointless, and 
just serves to lock people out of the site.

---druck

-- 
The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/
The 32bit Conversions Page - http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/
0
news5843 (7461)
10/21/2007 7:40:26 PM
Hi, only just spotted this thread ...

druck wrote:
> On 21 Oct 2007 fwibbler <thedoctor@thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk>
> wrote:
> > Matthew Thompson <mt@REMOVETHISred-squirrel.com> wrote:
> >> In message <3a9f36354f.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
> >>           druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>> On 21 Oct 2007 Matthew Thompson <mt@REMOVETHISred-squirrel.com> wrote:
> >>>> www.stairwaytohell.com a BBC Micro site has an active forum on there
> >>>> where you can chat about the good old days of the BBC.
> >>
> >>> A prime example of pointless use of javascript to dynamically build a
> >>> frameset. That copy of Adobe PageMill needs to be inserted where the
> >>> sun dont shine.
> >>
> >> Totally agree, it's a brilliant website, but a nightmare to use under
> >> RISC OS, totally blank under NetSurf and Oregano 2 always crashes!
> >>
> > Oregano 1 works perfectly on it (if you have it) and I guess Firefox would
> > work. Under Windows, any reasonably competant browser works even going
> > as far back as Netscape Navigator 4!

Ok, I've added a 'No Javascript' link to the Entrance page (bottom-
right), which redirects you to a 'standard' HTML Frameset.

Does this workaround address the problem(s) with NetSurf and Oregano
2?

> Using javascript to
> dynamically create non changing framesets is utterly pointless

The purpose of the JS code is to relocate a page within its Frameset
if opened in isolation.

If you know of a non-JS/RISC OS-friendly way of achieving this (that
doesn't involve recoding the whole site) then I'm all ears.

--
Dave.
0
davem6766 (3)
12/1/2007 1:47:38 PM
In message <22b59356-14bb-4b75-8585-1f8d1a08bc7d@s8g2000prg.googlegrou 
ps.com>
          davem@ntlworld.com wrote:

> Hi, only just spotted this thread ...
> 
> druck wrote:
>> On 21 Oct 2007 fwibbler <thedoctor@thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>> > Matthew Thompson <mt@REMOVETHISred-squirrel.com> wrote:
>> >> In message <3a9f36354f.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
>> >>           druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
>> >>
>> >>> On 21 Oct 2007 Matthew Thompson <mt@REMOVETHISred-squirrel.com> wrote:
>> >>>> www.stairwaytohell.com a BBC Micro site has an active forum on there
>> >>>> where you can chat about the good old days of the BBC.
>> >>
>> >>> A prime example of pointless use of javascript to dynamically build a
>> >>> frameset. That copy of Adobe PageMill needs to be inserted where the
>> >>> sun dont shine.
>> >>
>> >> Totally agree, it's a brilliant website, but a nightmare to use under
>> >> RISC OS, totally blank under NetSurf and Oregano 2 always crashes!
>> >>
>> > Oregano 1 works perfectly on it (if you have it) and I guess Firefox would
>> > work. Under Windows, any reasonably competant browser works even going
>> > as far back as Netscape Navigator 4!
> 
> Ok, I've added a 'No Javascript' link to the Entrance page (bottom-
> right), which redirects you to a 'standard' HTML Frameset.
> 
> Does this workaround address the problem(s) with NetSurf and Oregano
> 2?
> 
Yes with Netsurf although O2 might crash for separate reasons. Thanks 
very much.

Andrew

-- 

0
12/2/2007 3:21:55 PM
Reply: