Boot file for Acorn RISC OS 3.6

I'm trying to get a RISC PC working which had no hard disc.
I have put in an old hard disc, and reformatted it, and the icon
appears on the icon bar. I can open the disc window. I have called it
IDEDisc4.

When I boot the computer I get "Message from Desktop":
Machine startup has not completed successfully: 'Disc Drive not known'

I have configured "Drive 4". I need to get the computer to recognise
the disc drive. How do I do that?

Having done that, I need a !Boot file to run. Where can I get one from?

Alan Griffin

0
ajg1 (372)
6/10/2009 6:16:47 PM
comp.sys.acorn.misc 5707 articles. 0 followers. michael104 (366) is leader. Post Follow

On Jun 10, 7:16=A0pm, Alan Griffin <a...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm trying to get a RISC PC working which had no hard disc.
> I have put in an old hard disc, and reformatted it, and the icon
> appears on the icon bar. I can open the disc window. I have called it
> IDEDisc4.
>
> When I boot the computer I get "Message from Desktop":
> Machine startup has not completed successfully: 'Disc Drive not known'
>
> I have configured "Drive 4". I need to get the computer to recognise
> the disc drive. How do I do that?

Guess: Make sure you've configured the appropriate filesystem?

IIRC: http://acorn.riscos.com/riscos/releases/UniBoot/

--
Matthew Wightman

> <matthew.wightman@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Jun 10, 7:16 pm, Alan Griffin <a...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> > Having done that, I need a !Boot file to run. Where can I get one from?
>
> IIRC: http://acorn.riscos.com/riscos/releases/UniBoot/

Slight change of subject...does this UnitBoot work by copying the
appropriate files to the Choices, Resources, etc. folders, or does it just
load what it needs for the OS being used?

The reason I'm asking is that I want to use the same !Boot structure for
RedSquirrel, in which I have RiscOS 2, 3.11, 3.70, 4.02, and 4.39.

Cheers,

Gerald.

0
gerald (33)
6/11/2009 8:35:09 AM
In article <5069568222ajg@argonet.co.uk>, Alan Griffin
<ajg@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm trying to get a RISC PC working which had no hard disc. I
> have put in an old hard disc, and reformatted it, and the icon
> appears on the icon bar. I can open the disc window. I have
> called it IDEDisc4.

> When I boot the computer I get "Message from Desktop": Machine
> startup has not completed successfully: 'Disc Drive not known'

> I have configured "Drive 4". I need to get the computer to
> recognise the disc drive. How do I do that?

Have you set the hard disc to be bootable during the re-format?
To find out switch on with the keypad '*' held down, which should
put you at the *-prompt.  Enter '.' or 'cat' and see at the top
what Option is set: it should be 'Option 2 (Run)'.  If it is not,
enter 'Opt 4,2' and try '.' again.

Brian.

Brian Carroll, Ripon, N Yorks, UK  briancarroll at f2s dot com
bric-nospam (871)
6/11/2009 8:37:44 AM
In article <5069568222ajg@argonet.co.uk>,
   Alan Griffin <ajg@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm trying to get a RISC PC working which had no hard disc.
> I have put in an old hard disc, and reformatted it, and the icon
> appears on the icon bar. I can open the disc window. I have called it
> IDEDisc4.

Didn't it come up already named HardDisc4? But perhaps that is applied in
the formatting.

> When I boot the computer I get "Message from Desktop":
> Machine startup has not completed successfully: 'Disc Drive not known'

This can happen when you change the name.

> I have configured "Drive 4". I need to get the computer to recognise
> the disc drive. How do I do that?

That tells it which HD to boot from, IIRC. But if it can't find a Boot
file, you'll get an error message. Have you configured IDEDiscs 1? Press
F12 and type status to check.

> Having done that, I need a !Boot file to run. Where can I get one from?

I've never had 3.6 because this is an SA machine - but I think originally
the basics came on a few floppies. But there are universal Boot
applications that can be used with it. Do a Google on RISC OS Boot.

--
*Why do they put Braille on the drive-through bank machines?

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
0
dave137 (3026)
6/11/2009 8:58:03 AM
In article
   matthew.wightman@gmail.com <matthew.wightman@gmail.com> wrote:
> > When I boot the computer I get "Message from Desktop": Machine
> > startup has not completed successfully: 'Disc Drive not known'
> >
> > I have configured "Drive 4". I need to get the computer to recognise
> > the disc drive. How do I do that?

> Guess: Make sure you've configured the appropriate filesystem?

Good guess. I'd forgotten to configure the file system to IDEFS!

Thank you all for your suggestions and help.

I found an old copy of the boot file in the recesses of my own RISC PC,
and have now got the machine to Boot up - except -

I'm getting an error message: "Message from Repeat: Directory
'Filer_Boot' not found"

I can't find how to get rid of it. I've looked in all the files in
"Repeat". Can anybody suggest the cause?

Alan Griffin

0
ajg1 (372)
6/11/2009 9:28:10 AM
In article <5069a9f290ajg@argonet.co.uk>,
   Alan Griffin <ajg@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm getting an error message: "Message from Repeat: Directory
> 'Filer_Boot' not found"

> I can't find how to get rid of it. I've looked in all the files in
> "Repeat". Can anybody suggest the cause?

I've managed to get rid of the error.
I put in the old RISC OS 3.7 chips which I took out of my machine when
I upgraded to 4.02, and ran the upgrade software, and the machine now
boots up perfectly with no errors!

Alan Griffin

0
ajg1 (372)