f



csa.misc

*plonk*

100+ messages a day of complete and utter shit just isn't worth it.

Peter
0
marutan (79)
5/12/2008 11:02:14 AM
comp.sys.acorn.misc 5707 articles. 0 followers. michael104 (366) is leader. Post Follow

12 Replies
307 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 52

On Mon, 12 May 2008 04:02:14 -0700, Peter Howkins wrote:

> *plonk*
> 
> 100+ messages a day of complete and utter shit just isn't worth it.

Are you referring to the whole, or a specific subset? ;-)

B.
0
nntp550 (4244)
5/12/2008 11:05:57 AM
In article
<0c3b3ac0-0bea-4b62-a6b0-a8361074c46a@8g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
   Peter Howkins <marutan@gmail.com> wrote:
> *plonk*

> 100+ messages a day of complete and utter shit just isn't worth it.

Might I suggest using Newshound and using the following filters:-

# group	subject		from		     bytes	lines	msg-id	ref's	     x-posts	amount
*		     *		      *cperson* 	*	    *	    *	     *	         *	      none
*		     *		      *		        *	    *	    *	     *cperson* 	*	      none

Where 'cperson' is the person you whose original posts or replies to
their posts you don't want to read.

Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your point of view, it cuts
down the postings to a dribble.

-- 
Barry A.
To reply by email:- barry d o t allen a t talktalk d o t net
Replace the d o t and a t by the usual.
0
evanallen1 (351)
5/12/2008 11:18:25 AM
In a dim and distant universe <4f9e48d8bfevanallen@onetel.net.uk.invalid>,
   Barry Allen (news) <evanallen@onetel.net.uk.invalid> enlightened us
thusly:
> Might I suggest using Newshound and using the following filters:-

> # group	subject		from		     bytes	lines	msg-id	ref's	     x-posts	amount
> *		     *		      *cperson* 	*	    *	    *	     *	         *	      none
> *		     *		      *		        *	    *	    *	     *cperson* 	*	      none

> Where 'cperson' is the person you whose original posts or replies to
> their posts you don't want to read.

Thanks for that. Very useful. I may add that to the FAQ for future
reference. :-)

Paul

-- 
Life, the Universe, RISC OS Help and Everything - http://www.vigay.com/
Share and discuss ideas or chat about the above - http://forum.vigay.com/
Quality Internet Services, Broadband & Hosting  - www.orpheusinternet.co.uk/
0
5/12/2008 12:14:38 PM
In article <4f9e48d8bfevanallen@onetel.net.uk.invalid>,
 "Barry Allen (news)" <evanallen@onetel.net.uk.invalid> wrote:

> In article
> <0c3b3ac0-0bea-4b62-a6b0-a8361074c46a@8g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
>    Peter Howkins <marutan@gmail.com> wrote:
> > *plonk*
> 
> > 100+ messages a day of complete and utter shit just isn't worth it.
> 
> Might I suggest using Newshound and using the following filters:-
> 
> # group	subject		from		     bytes	lines	msg-id	ref's	     x-posts	amount
> *		     *		      *cperson* 	*	    *	    *	     *	         *	      none
> *		     *		      *		        *	    *	    *	     *cperson* 	*	      none
> 
> Where 'cperson' is the person you whose original posts or replies to
> their posts you don't want to read.

If you only wish to remove direct replies to this 'cperson' then having
*     *     *     *     *     *     *cperson>     *     none
(tabs between each field rather than 5 real spaces) would enable you to 
still read some threads to which 'cperson' had 'contributed' earlier on 
but may [1] now have become worth reading.

For the References line, you need to bear in mind that it will need to 
include something contained within the Message-ID provided by 'cperson' 
so if they post from a publication's domain also you may wish to include 
*qpublication* (as in Joe Q Public, obviously). This will also apply to 
the from header.

Messenger Pro or other news readers may make it easier to create a 
suitable rule to either mark as read via a scoring rule (but still 
downloading it) or, in the case of other news readers, make it easy to 
not download them without having to use a text editor.

I do not think Google Groups offers this facility (but have not looked) 
so one would need to use a 'proper' news reader but could then usefully 
filter out googlegroups postings (from which a large portion of usenet 
spam originates)
 
> Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your point of view, it cuts
> down the postings to a dribble.

Though one is likely to perceive an improved signal-to-noise ratio.

[1] For small values of may - perhaps closer to february.
-- 
Andy Wingate <URL:http://www.sparse.net>
I'm not nearly as think as you confused I am.
0
andy8-5 (13)
5/12/2008 1:31:55 PM
On May 12, 12:18 pm, "Barry Allen (news)"
<evanal...@onetel.net.uk.invalid> wrote:

> Might I suggest using Newshound and using the following filters:-
>
> # group subject         from                 bytes      lines   msg-id  ref's        x-posts    amount
> *                    *                *cperson*         *           *       *        *           *            none
> *                    *                *                 *           *       *        *cperson*  *             none

> Where 'cperson' is the person you whose original posts or replies to
> their posts you don't want to read.

> Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your point of view, it cuts
> down the postings to a dribble.

Hooray! I didn't have to post the 'how to filter with Newshound' thing
this time!
0
spam5752 (1717)
5/12/2008 2:25:05 PM
In a dim and distant universe
<406ac6f9-dc56-4455-a29a-c1efd43bf463@b1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
   VinceH <spam@softrock.co.uk> enlightened us thusly:

> Hooray! I didn't have to post the 'how to filter with Newshound' thing
> this time!

I assume it's working ok, as I've only received three messages to csa.*
this afternoon. :-)

Paul

-- 
Life, the Universe, RISC OS Help and Everything - http://www.vigay.com/
Share and discuss ideas or chat about the above - http://forum.vigay.com/
Quality Internet Services, Broadband & Hosting  - www.orpheusinternet.co.uk/
0
5/12/2008 3:51:56 PM
In message <4f9e61e344invalid-email-address@invalid-domain.co.uk>
  Paul Vigay <invalid-email-address@invalid-domain.co.uk> wrote:

>In a dim and distant universe
><406ac6f9-dc56-4455-a29a-c1efd43bf463@b1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
>   VinceH <spam@softrock.co.uk> enlightened us thusly:
>
>> Hooray! I didn't have to post the 'how to filter with Newshound' thing
>> this time!
>
>I assume it's working ok, as I've only received three messages to csa.*
>this afternoon. :-)

That might depend on when the afternoon is deemed to have started, but
is very quiet. There should be 7 posts in this thread, not including
this one.

csa.misc is also set up on Gemini here with equivalent filters, that is
unwanted source and follow ups. The filtered stuff goes to the waste
basket, which has little in it and no follow ups.

Working quite nicely then. Starve the troll.

-- 
David Pitt

Using a Castle Iyonix running RISC OS 5.13.
0
pittdj1 (162)
5/12/2008 5:54:19 PM
In article <96176d9e4f.pittdj+@iyonix.home>,
   David Pitt <pittdj@pittdj.co.uk> wrote:
> csa.misc is also set up on Gemini here with equivalent filters, that is
> unwanted source and follow ups. The filtered stuff goes to the waste
> basket, which has little in it and no follow ups.

> Working quite nicely then. Starve the troll.

Th chief troll gets filtered into a box of his own. It has a seven day expiry
and currently contains 153 posts, in case anyone is interested ;-)

-- 
Stuart Winsor

For Barn dances and folk evenings in the Coventry and Warwickshire area
See: http://www.barndance.org.uk
0
Spambin (1454)
5/12/2008 10:09:45 PM
In a dim and distant universe <4f9e847a4dSpambin@argonet.co.uk>,
   Stuart <Spambin@argonet.co.uk> enlightened us thusly:

> Th chief troll gets filtered into a box of his own. It has a seven day
> expiry and currently contains 153 posts, in case anyone is interested ;-)

After his recent idiocy I've setup Newshound filtering to remove him and
any threads he's participating in - and I think I've only received about 10
csa.* news postings since lunchtime! :-)

Paul

-- 
Life, the Universe, RISC OS Help and Everything - http://www.vigay.com/
Share and discuss ideas or chat about the above - http://forum.vigay.com/
Quality Internet Services, Broadband & Hosting  - www.orpheusinternet.co.uk/
0
5/12/2008 10:36:36 PM
In article <4f9e847a4dSpambin@argonet.co.uk>, Stuart
<Spambin@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> Th chief troll gets filtered into a box of his own. It has a seven day
> expiry and currently contains 153 posts, in case anyone is interested ;-)

No.

John

-- 
John Williams, Brittany, Northern France - no attachments to these addresses!
Non-RISC OS posters change user to johnrwilliams or put 'risc' in subject
for reliable contact! Who is John Williams? http://www.picindex.info/author/ 
Somewhere nice to stay in Brittany? http://petit.four.free.fr/visitors/locate
0
UCEbin (2771)
5/13/2008 5:59:05 AM
In article <4f9eaf7222UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk>,
   John Williams (News) <UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <4f9e847a4dSpambin@argonet.co.uk>, Stuart
> <Spambin@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> > Th chief troll gets filtered into a box of his own. It has a seven day
> > expiry and currently contains 153 posts, in case anyone is interested ;-)

> No.

I thought not :-)

-- 
Stuart Winsor

For Barn dances and folk evenings in the Coventry and Warwickshire area
See: http://www.barndance.org.uk
0
Spambin (1454)
5/13/2008 7:53:34 AM
In message <4f9e48d8bfevanallen@onetel.net.uk.invalid>
  "Barry Allen (news)" <evanallen@onetel.net.uk.invalid> wrote:

>In article
><0c3b3ac0-0bea-4b62-a6b0-a8361074c46a@8g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
>   Peter Howkins <marutan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> *plonk*
>
>> 100+ messages a day of complete and utter shit just isn't worth it.
>
>Might I suggest using Newshound and using the following filters:-
>
># group	subject		from		     bytes	lines	msg-id	ref's	     x-posts	amount
>*		     *		      *cperson* 	*	    *	    *	     *	         *	      none
>*		     *		      *		        *	    *	    *	     *cperson* 	*	      none
>
>Where 'cperson' is the person you whose original posts or replies to
>their posts you don't want to read.

It might be a good idea to add 'qercus' filters, two posts from Qercus
Editor have just appeared in my Waste Basket.

-- 
David Pitt

Using a Castle Iyonix running RISC OS 5.13.
0
pittdj1 (162)
5/13/2008 5:07:58 PM
Reply: