f



Installation of Impression Publisher Fonts Fail Using the 'Font Install 1.03' Software

After installing Impression Publisher I am unable to install any of
the (default) Fonts included with this application.
Some Impression Publisher functions refuse to start because the
default fonts cannot be found.

The fonts on the disc may not be accessed directly ... it appears that
the default fonts must be unpacked and installed by the font
installation program included with Impression Publisher - Font Install
1.03
When attempting to use Font Install 1.03 the application reports that
the system is "Out of Memory" - yet the task manager advises that in
excess of 160,000Kbytes are available (free).  RISC OS 4.37 (11 Aug
2003)/RISC OS Select 3i3 is installed on the RISC PC.  It seems that
the Impression Publisher Font Install program does not correctly
interact with RISC OS 4.37; judging by the instructions the Font
Install program expects RISC OS 3.11 or earlier.

I have tried setting the font cache parameters FontSize, FontMax and
SystemSize to their maximum ... however (after a re-boot) this has no
effect.

I have also tried moving nearly all installed fonts to another
directory (so that they cannot be 'seen' by either RISC OS or the Font
Install program) - only 6 fonts remain installed (after performing a
font rescan & re-boot) ... however the Font Install 1.03 application
continues to report that the system is "Out of Memory" ...

.... does anyone know how the default Impression Publisher fonts may be
installed?

0
aph1 (23)
12/15/2007 6:07:45 PM
comp.sys.acorn.misc 5707 articles. 0 followers. michael104 (366) is leader. Post Follow

8 Replies
927 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 32

On 15 Dec, aph1@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

> After installing Impression Publisher I am unable to install any of
> the (default) Fonts included with this application.

[snip]

> When attempting to use Font Install 1.03 the application reports that
> the system is "Out of Memory" - yet the task manager advises that in
> excess of 160,000Kbytes are available (free).

[snip]

Your problem is that you actually have too much free memory. The Font 
Install program won't work unless you have less than 28MB of free RAM.

To get round this, create a RAM disc big enough to leave less than 
28MB free RAM, and run the installer again.
-- 
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Isn't it strange that the same people that laugh at gypsy fortune
tellers take economists seriously?
0
12/15/2007 6:32:41 PM
On Dec 15, 6:32 pm, Brian Howlett <news-spamt...@brianhowlett.me.uk>
wrote:
> On 15 Dec, a...@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
>
> > After installing Impression Publisher I am unable to install any of
> > the (default) Fonts included with this application.
>
> [snip]
>
> > When attempting to use Font Install 1.03 the application reports that
> > the system is "Out of Memory" - yet the task manager advises that in
> > excess of 160,000Kbytes are available (free).
>
> [snip]
>
> Your problem is that you actually have too much free memory. The Font
> Install program won't work unless you have less than 28MB of free RAM.
>
> To get round this, create a RAM disc big enough to leave less than
> 28MB free RAM, and run the installer again.
> --
> Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
> -----------------------------------------------------------------
> Isn't it strange that the same people that laugh at gypsy fortune
> tellers take economists seriously?

Thanks for the information ... I would never have guessed that having
too much memory was the problem ... that's a new one on me!

Font Install 1.03 worked straight-away once there was less than 28MB
free RAM.

Although the Font Install program added the fonts to the
system.resources.!fonts for some reason the new fonts were not picked
up by the operating system straight away ... all kinds of error
messages were generated by the RISC OS font filing system - which at
first refused to perform a re-scan generating an error message
instead.  After a couple of re-boots I eventually got the new fonts to
be accepted by copying them out  of system.resources.!fonts and then
re-adding them using the RISC OS system 'font merge' facility.
I have had difficulties with the font management facilities before on
RISC OS 4.37 ... I think it contains one or more bugs ...

Thanks again for your help.

Peter Hamlin.
0
aph1 (23)
12/15/2007 8:12:26 PM
On 15 Dec, aph1@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

[snip]

> Although the Font Install program added the fonts to the
> system.resources.!fonts for some reason the new fonts were not picked
> up by the operating system straight away ... all kinds of error
> messages were generated by the RISC OS font filing system - which at
> first refused to perform a re-scan generating an error message
> instead.  After a couple of re-boots I eventually got the new fonts to
> be accepted by copying them out  of system.resources.!fonts and then
> re-adding them using the RISC OS system 'font merge' facility. I have
> had difficulties with the font management facilities before on RISC OS
> 4.37 ... I think it contains one or more bugs ...

I think that's the one that's fixed by deleting the Messages1 file 
inside !Fonts

> Thanks again for your help.

San Fairy Ann ;)
-- 
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
-------------------------------------------------------------
People who live in glass houses should undress in the dark...
0
12/16/2007 10:30:13 AM
On Dec 16, 10:30 am, Brian Howlett <news-spamt...@brianhowlett.me.uk>
wrote:
>
> I think that's the one that's fixed by deleting the Messages1 file
> inside !Fonts
>
Ah ... so that was the cause ... while trying to get the fonts from
Impression's font installer program to be recognised by the OS, I
moved the Messages1 file out of the system.resources.!fonts directory
as it was hopelessly out of sync with the fonts actually present in
the !Fonts folder.  Upon performing a re-sync or re-boot  I expected
the OS to detect that this file was missing and to re-create it to
correctly list the contents within the !Fonts directory ... however
the OS has not done this ... since this file seems to serve no purpose
it has been placed it in the Recycler bin.

Thanks for the Info.

Peter Hamlin.
0
aph1 (23)
12/16/2007 6:01:17 PM
I have just received another e-mail saying that I shouldn't have run
the Font Installer as it contains old versions of Homerton, Trinity
etc that will cause problems and that the Font Installer program also
installs other nasty bits and pieces in !Fonts ...

.... I must admit that I did overwrite my original versions of these
fonts with the font information from Impression ... do I need to
restore my original versions of Homerton, Trinity etc?

Advice?

0
aph1 (23)
12/16/2007 6:10:03 PM
On 16 Dec 2007 as I do recall,
          aph1@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

> I have just received another e-mail saying that I shouldn't have run
> the Font Installer as it contains old versions of Homerton, Trinity
> etc that will cause problems and that the Font Installer program also
> installs other nasty bits and pieces in !Fonts ...
> 
> ... I must admit that I did overwrite my original versions of these
> fonts with the font information from Impression ... do I need to
> restore my original versions of Homerton, Trinity etc?
> 
> Advice?
> 
They'll still be in ROM.   Just get rid of the ones on disc.

-- 
Harriet Bazley                     ==  Loyaulte me lie ==

Positive: Mistaken at the top of one's voice.
0
bazley (1305)
12/17/2007 9:11:24 PM
Further to all the input to this posting the issue has no been
resolved ... thank-you everyone who replied for your help.

Peter Hamlin.
0
aph1 (23)
12/23/2007 7:34:20 PM
On 23 Dec, 19:34, a...@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

[Start of Snip]

> Further to all the input to this posting the issue has no been
> resolved ... thank-you everyone who replied for your help.
>
> Peter Hamlin.

[End of Snip]

The above should have read:

"Further to all the input to this posting the issue has been
resolved ... thank-you everyone who replied for your help."

....finger trouble - sorry.

Peter Hamlin.
0
aph1 (23)
12/23/2007 7:37:33 PM
Reply: