OT: How to read an ADFS harddrive under Linux (x86)?

Hi All,

Sorry, this is pretty off topic - but I figured this was the most
likely place to have anyone who knew how this worked!

I've recently started looking into Linux and have Mandrake installed on
my PC. I'd like to transfer the (zipped) contents of my RiscPC harddisc
onto my x86 PC. With some googling I've come across a handful of
references to "being able to read ADFS under Linux", but nothing which
actually tells you how to do it!

I'd be grateful for any pointers.

Thanks a lot,
Adam

news4275 (1182)
6/7/2005 8:58:34 AM
comp.sys.acorn.misc 5707 articles. 0 followers. michael104 (366) is leader. Post Follow

news@snowstone.org.uk wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Sorry, this is pretty off topic - but I figured this was the most
> likely place to have anyone who knew how this worked!
>
> I've recently started looking into Linux and have Mandrake installed on
> my PC. I'd like to transfer the (zipped) contents of my RiscPC harddisc
> onto my x86 PC. With some googling I've come across a handful of
> references to "being able to read ADFS under Linux", but nothing which
> actually tells you how to do it!

First of all, make sure you have ADFS support either in the kernel or as a
module. If you do, then add a line to /etc/fstab along the lines of:

/dev/hdd1   /mnt/adfs   adfs   defaults,ro   0 1

(this line is for connecting the drive as secondary slave, and mounting
at /mnt/adfs). You may need to create the mount directory before rebooting,
I can't remember.

Hope this helps ^_^

Paul

news@snowstone.org.uk wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Sorry, this is pretty off topic - but I figured this was the most
> likely place to have anyone who knew how this worked!
>
> I've recently started looking into Linux and have Mandrake installed on
> my PC. I'd like to transfer the (zipped) contents of my RiscPC harddisc
> onto my x86 PC. With some googling I've come across a handful of
> references to "being able to read ADFS under Linux", but nothing which
> actually tells you how to do it!
>
> I'd be grateful for any pointers.
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Adam
> --
mkdir [mount point]

mount -t adfs /dev/[device name] /[mount point]

eg if the ADFS drive is installed as an IDE slave (hdb) to the Linux
drive (hda), and you want to mount it at "tmp_adfs"

mkdir tmp_adfs

mount -t adfs /dev/hdb1 /tmp_adfs

If it baulks at this, you may not have a block device for hdb1, so will
need to use mknod to create one.  Or you may not have adfs support in
the kernel (it's an option in the install process for Debian, but the
rubric does say "some modules are already present", without identifying
them!).

That's how it works to mount the ADFS partition when following Paul
Vigay's "Armlinux for dummies" instructions, where the kernel obviously
does have ADFS support.

HTH,
Andrew

0
ajw99uk (550)
6/7/2005 1:42:20 PM
Andrew Wickham wrote:
> mkdir [mount point]
>
> mount -t adfs /dev/[device name] /[mount point]
>
> eg if the ADFS drive is installed as an IDE slave (hdb) to the Linux
> drive (hda), and you want to mount it at "tmp_adfs"
>
> mkdir tmp_adfs
>
> mount -t adfs /dev/hdb1 /tmp_adfs

Well, all it did was list the help info for "mount" - didn't actually
say whether it was successful or not, but I guess not!

> If it baulks at this, you may not have a block device for hdb1, so will
> need to use mknod to create one.

How do I do that?

> Or you may not have adfs support in the kernel

How do I tell?

> That's how it works to mount the ADFS partition when following Paul
> Vigay's "Armlinux for dummies" instructions,

Sadly that page seems to have disappeared from Paul's site.

Thanks,
Adam

0
news4275 (1182)
6/7/2005 5:42:25 PM

news@snowstone.org.uk wrote:
> Andrew Wickham wrote:
> > mount -t adfs /dev/hdb1 /tmp_adfs
>
> Well, all it did was list the help info for "mount" - didn't actually
> say whether it was successful or not, but I guess not!

"mount" by itself will show what is currently mounted, so you can
check.

> > If it baulks at this, you may not have a block device for hdb1, so will
> > need to use mknod to create one.
>
> How do I do that?

man mknod - read to sort out which major/minor numbers you need
http://www.linuxcommand.org/man_pages/mknod1.html

cd /dev
mknod [devicename] [b|c] [major] [minor]

b for block device, c for character (eg rhda1)
the "major" and "minor" identify the drive and partition, but I'd be
surprised if there isn't a device hdb1 already.

> > Or you may not have adfs support in the kernel
>
> How do I tell?
Good point - you won't want to reinstall just for this exercise! Try
modinfo, modprobe, insmod for adding modules.

> > That's how it works to mount the ADFS partition when following Paul
> > Vigay's "Armlinux for dummies" instructions,
>
> Sadly that page seems to have disappeared from Paul's site.

Hopefully to reappear on riscos.org in due course, though it's now
rather superseded by Peter Naulls' Debian installation guide.

Rgds,
Andrew

0
ajw99uk (550)
6/8/2005 8:53:32 AM
news@snowstone.org.uk wrote:

> Andrew Wickham wrote:
>> Or you may not have adfs support in the kernel
>
> How do I tell?

Try:

zcat /proc/config.gz | grep ADFS

This will say whether adfs is built-in, a module or not there at all.

Hope this helps ^_^

--
Paul Nolan <onewingedangel$ATtalktalk$DOTnet>
Thanks for the replies Andrew and Paul.

I'm not sure what I was doing wrong before - but I've just had another
go and everything's worked fine. Mandrake does support ADFS :-)

For the benefit of anyone future googlers, I opened a "Konsole" and
typed "su" to get root privileges, then did "mkdir tmp_adfs" then "mount
-t adfs /dev/hdc /tmp_adfs" (I found that it should be "hdc" from the
partition manager section of the "configure your computer" thing)

"mount" then listed my new partition and a few "cd"s and "ls"s confirmed
that everything was there :-)

The new file(?) was only accessible by root though so I couldn't look at
it in the GUI file manager, but I just copied it over using the konsole.

So a good result all round!

Thanks,
Adam

--
Adam Richardson
Carpe Diem
Adam wrote:
> Thanks for the replies Andrew and Paul.
>
> I'm not sure what I was doing wrong before - but I've just had another
> go and everything's worked fine. Mandrake does support ADFS :-)
>
> For the benefit of anyone future googlers, I opened a "Konsole" and
> typed "su" to get root privileges, then did "mkdir tmp_adfs" then "mount
> -t adfs /dev/hdc /tmp_adfs" (I found that it should be "hdc" from the
> partition manager section of the "configure your computer" thing)
>
> "mount" then listed my new partition and a few "cd"s and "ls"s confirmed
> that everything was there :-)
>
> The new file(?) was only accessible by root though so I couldn't look at
> it in the GUI file manager, but I just copied it over using the konsole.

Well, yes as you created /tmp_adfs as root. You could always change the
permissions on it so other users can read/write to it.

chmod 755 /tmp_adfs will give read permissions to all users. chmod 777
/tmp_adfs will give read/write permissions to all users.

> So a good result all round!

Yep. Isn't it nice to be able to just plug your ADFS HD into a Linux
system and have it work almost seamlessly? I almost fell off my chair when
I got it working in ten minutes (including removal and fitting the disc).

--

               http://www.ollieclark.com/acronyms.html
0