Raspberry Pi and RISC OSi

My interest in using a Raspberry Pi has been piqued by a discussion in
another thread. I anticipate having the Pi mounted on the back of my
monitor and connecting to the monitor with an HDMI cable. I should be
able to switch between the Pi and the Windows machine, which is connected
by VGA cable, using the monitor's menu [1]. My wireless logitech keyboard
and mouse should, I hope, be useable with the Pi if I purchase another
dongle to use in a Pi's USB port.

There are several options as to which Pi to buy and plenty of information
on the WWW but, at this point, I am interested in hearing
recommendations, hints and tips from someone already doing this?

Thank you

[1] This switching might be automatic if I only have 1 of the computers
switched on.

Brian Jordan
Virtual RPC-AdjustSA on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
RISC OS 6.20

---

Brian
12/24/2016 12:24:55 PM
comp.sys.acorn.misc 5707 articles. 0 followers. michael104 (366) is leader. Post Follow

The Raspberry Pi 2 Model B is currently considered to be the most compatibl=
e with RISC OS due to ARMv8 issues that exist in the Pi 3. There is an issu=
e that the ARMv7 Pi 2s are now pretty much out of stock and have been repla=
ced by modified cut down ARMv8 models that are similar to the Pi 3 but with=
 Bluetooth and wifi removed, thus less compatible.

However, bizarrely, the Raspberry Pi Zero is actually a better fit as it al=
lows some level of ARMv5 (StrongARM era I believe but am happy to be correc=
ted) compatibility too. And is quicker than the Pi 2 at 1GHz. But it doesn'=
t have an Ethernet port.

There is this though... www.riscosbits.co.uk/zero.htm which adds full-sized=
 USB and the Ethernet port.

(I did ought to declare an interest here though!)...
0
andy
12/24/2016 12:49:08 PM
In article <faaaab00-fabb-4724-9975-d22806ed9522@googlegroups.com>,
   <andy.marks.1970@gmail.com> wrote:

> And is quicker than the Pi 2

The Pi 2 (ARMv7) runs quite happily at 1 GHz if suitably instructed in the
Config/txt file:

        # Commands to set Pi model 2
        # to 1000MHz
        arm_freq=1000

John

--
John Williams, now back in the UK - no attachments to these addresses!
Non-RISC OS posters change user to johnrwilliams or put 'risc' in subject!
On 24/12/2016 12:24, Brian Jordan wrote:
> My interest in using a Raspberry Pi has been piqued by a discussion in
> another thread. I anticipate having the Pi mounted on the back of my
> monitor and connecting to the monitor with an HDMI cable. I should be
> able to switch between the Pi and the Windows machine, which is connected
> by VGA cable, using the monitor's menu [1]

[Snip]

> [1] This switching might be automatic if I only have 1 of the computers
> switched on.

That should be the case.

[Reordered]

> My wireless logitech keyboard
> and mouse should, I hope, be useable with the Pi if I purchase another
> dongle to use in a Pi's USB port.

I don't think you can just get another dongle with a standard wireless
keyboard, they normally only work with the one they come with. A
Bluetooth wireless keyboard can work with more than one device, but you
usually have to re-pair each time.

---druck

0
druck