reading ADFS floppies from alien hardware

Hi all,

Is there any sensible way to read old ADFS floppies from linux running
on x86 hardware?  ADFS support has been in the kernel for many years,
but I believe that there is a problem driving the floppy disk controller.

TIA

--
Sig goes here...
Peter D.

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 14:57:32 +1000, "Peter D." <psd@c17.home.invalid>
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Is there any sensible way to read old ADFS floppies from linux running
>on x86 hardware?  ADFS support has been in the kernel for many years,
>but I believe that there is a problem driving the floppy disk controller.

Info to be found at :

http://inputplus.co.uk/ralph/#adfs

John Kortink

--

Email    : kortink@inter.nl.net
Homepage : http://www.inter.nl.net/users/J.Kortink

0
kortink (350)
9/6/2006 9:58:15 AM
John Kortink wrote in comp.sys.acorn.misc:

> On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 14:57:32 +1000, "Peter D." <psd@c17.home.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>Is there any sensible way to read old ADFS floppies from linux running
>>on x86 hardware?  ADFS support has been in the kernel for many years,
>>but I believe that there is a problem driving the floppy disk
>>controller.
>
> Info to be found at :
>
> http://inputplus.co.uk/ralph/#adfs

Thanks.  The answer seems to be;  theoretically it should be possible
to just put the floppy in the drive and mount it, but things are never
that simple.

A few years ago I thought that that was going to happen "real soon now",
but it is not that important.  If I was really keen on the idea I could
probably do it myself - eventually.  It will be easier to resurrect some
bits of acorn equipment.

I might look again in another couple of years.  ;-)

--
Sig goes here...
Peter D.