ROX Linux and ROX on OS X and arm linux

Hi

I've just just done some searches on Google for ROX linux, and ROX on
other platforms.

I've not managed to find anything.

Is ROX available for OS X?

Is ROX available for Acorn\Iyonix Arm linux?

Did ROX Linux ever come to anything?

I was a member of the mailing list a while ago, it started off
interesting and then seemed to go off on a tangent then it all went
quiet.

It seemed like an excellent idea, a linux distro structured like RISC
OS.

It would have been an ideal compliment to a RISC OS system, same UI
but different set of applications (probably not quite so consistent as
we are used to though). It could also have been a life boat if RISC OS
were ever to grind to a halt.

Presumably some sorts of common apps (python perhaps) would have been
possible and if RISCOSE or similar were to be developed too, the
possibilities would be even greater.

Do others consider it would have been desirable?

--
Jess                   Iyonix
contact http://jess.itworkshop-nexus.net

In message <729a59544e.jess@itworkshop.invalid>
          Jess <phantasm_39@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've just just done some searches on Google for ROX linux, and ROX on
> other platforms.

These starting points might help.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&q=ROX filer desktop

http://rox.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/

http://rox.sourceforge.net/desktop/static.html

HTH!

--
Ruth Gunstone.

             ruthnews06 (at) cybusmedia
            [period]    co   {stop}   uk

0
room101 (16)
8/11/2006 7:35:28 AM
Why did they change the names of everything:

iconbar -> panel ???
task manager -> rox-session?

Is a shame they've taken the design and made it difficult to use for ex
Acorn users and Gnome/KDE users alike by inventing new nomenclature.

Looks quite good though, think I'll give it another try, tried it a few
years back but it wasn't stable enough to use day to day

Dom

"R Gunstone" <room101@xxx.yy> wrote in message
> In message <729a59544e.jess@itworkshop.invalid>
>          Jess <phantasm_39@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I've just just done some searches on Google for ROX linux, and ROX on
>> other platforms.
>>

> These starting points might help.
>
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&q=ROX filer desktop
>
> http://rox.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/
>
> http://rox.sourceforge.net/desktop/static.html
>
> HTH!
>
> --
> Ruth Gunstone.
>
>             ruthnews06 (at) cybusmedia
>            [period]    co   {stop}   uk

0
domnews (17)
8/11/2006 9:07:36 AM
In article <ebhhec$j71$1$830fa79d@news.demon.co.uk>,
   dom news <domnews@brahms.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Why did they change the names of everything:

> iconbar -> panel ???
> task manager -> rox-session?

> Is a shame they've taken the design and made it difficult to use for ex
> Acorn users and Gnome/KDE users alike by inventing new nomenclature.

> Looks quite good though, think I'll give it another try, tried it a few
> years back but it wasn't stable enough to use day to day

     I've been usiing ROX ever since the first prototypes came out - on
laptop and server machines. The only problems that I have ever had relate
to the version of libgtk which I have installed - often a version or two
behind the one used by the ROX builders.

     Ever since the zero-install system came out, in fact, I have been
using that - which updates itself magically each time you start the machine
or want to use an application after a period of non-use while on-line. You
might like to look at

http://zero-install.sourceforge.net/

                         Keith

--
Sky Development
0

On 11 Aug, dom news wrote in message
  <ebhhec$j71$1$830fa79d@news.demon.co.uk>:

> > In message <729a59544e.jess@itworkshop.invalid>
> >          Jess <phantasm_39@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I've just just done some searches on Google for ROX linux, and ROX
> > > on other platforms.
>
> Why did they change the names of everything:
>
> iconbar -> panel ???
> task manager -> rox-session?
>
> Is a shame they've taken the design and made it difficult to use for ex
> Acorn users and Gnome/KDE users alike by inventing new nomenclature.

Haven't they used standard Gnome nomenclature?  The panel on Gnome is
certainly the closest equivalent to the RISC OS iconbar.  It's a while
since I've used KDE, so I'm not sure what they call it.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

0
news1571 (3486)
8/12/2006 8:15:16 AM
dom news wrote:
> Why did they change the names of everything:
>
> iconbar -> panel ???
> task manager -> rox-session?

ROX-Session doesn't manage tasks, though, only your "session" (your
session is the time between logging in with your name and password and
logging out). The architecture on Linux is a little different:

- The Linux kernel manages processes (tasks) and task switching.

- The session manager deals with setting up the desktop when you log in
(e.g., if you want Edit loaded by default, this is what loads it) and
logging out. Its only similarity to the RISC OS task manager is that
it's the thing you click on when you want to turn off the computer (and
it's a green icon in the bottom right corner with a Ctrl-Shift-F12
short-cut by default ;-).

- A separate application, called "System", shows memory usage of
running applications and lets you quit misbehaving programs, etc.

> Is a shame they've taken the design and made it difficult to use for ex
> Acorn users and Gnome/KDE users alike by inventing new nomenclature.

> Looks quite good though, think I'll give it another try, tried it a few
> years back but it wasn't stable enough to use day to day

It should be stable - please report a bug if it doesn't work.

0
talex5 (5)

Arm, Linux, Arm, Linux, Arm, Linux,,,life of a pure geek!
Arm, Linux, Arm, Linux, Arm, Linux,,,life of a pure geek! --------------------------------------------------------- Can't believe how busy its gotten lately. Its all just ARM, then Linux, then ARM again, then Linux again, then Opencores FPGA SoC with Linux, then Linux, then ARM, then Linux, then ARM, then Linux, all day, all night, and get paid for it too!! Ah the delights of pure geek life!! On 4/17/2012 7:10 PM, 7 wrote: > Arm, Linux, Arm, Linux, Arm, Linux,,,life of a pure geek! > --------------------------------------------------------- > > Can't believe how busy its gotten lately. > > Its all just ARM, then Linux, then ARM again, then Linux again, > then Opencores FPGA SoC with Linux, then Linux, then ARM, then Linux, > then ARM, then Linux, all day, all night, and get paid for it too!! > > Ah the delights of pure geek life!! Get paid for your Linux hobby? I don't think so, little fraud. "Field engineer working in the City installing dealing equipment, developer making windows and SQL applications, optimizing SQL in sales and quotation system (C, C++, VB, .NET), embedded PIC developer (Microchip C) making level 4 switch mode power supplies and hand held electrical test equipment, setting up Apache/PHP Linux servers and security penetrating testing, ethernet packet sniffing with wireshark, travel to China (and stayed there for 2 years) making PCBs and hand held products. General all round technology person ...

LINUX ROX!!!

My Linux is not your Linux

Why linux is linux

I have Linux! I have Linux!

[News] Ubuntu Linux Gets ROX Desktop; Why you Should Leave Windows for Linux
ROX Desktop: Ubuntu integration ,----[ Quote ] | Can we get rid of ROX-Session? It should be possible to integrate ROX | with your existing session manager. In this experiment, I configure a | fresh Ubuntu installation to run ROX, without using ROX-Session. `---- http://rox.sourceforge.net/desktop/node/409 broadband blog on Ubuntu Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Why should you shift to Linux? Windows XP is being retired from early | next year in order not to cannibalise the sales of Windows Vista. This | means that you would have to pay the price for overpriced software and | hardware in order to ...

[News] [Linux] Man Chooses Linux Over Mac OS X, Windows
Which OS for Ruby on Rails development? ,----[ Quote ] | I've had experience using Linux servers (no GUIs), so I figured I | could always drop back to the command line if something broke and | I've had to once or twice during installations. But overall I have | been pleasantly surprised at how civil an experience it has been. `---- http://falkayn.blogspot.com/2007/05/which-os-for-ruby-on-rails-development.html ...

[News] Mac OS X-Like Dock for GNU/Linux Reviewed by Linux.com
KXDocker: More than a task manager ,----[ Quote ] | The basic idea behind Mac OS X's Dock is that when you need an | application, you click on its icon on an on-screen bar, and the | application is launched (if it has not been yet) or switched to | (if it has). Stefano Zingarini has borrowed this concept for | KXDocker, a KDE variation of OS X's Dock (which is also usable | with GNOME and other desktop environments). `---- http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/12/28/1956207&from=rss Related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VekgyKQoTeM&NR http://www.youtube.com/wa...

IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and MAC OS X?
IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and MAC OS X? I set up SAMBA on the LInux machine and the MAC (running the very latest OSX) can copy files to the SAMBA share at lightning speeds. When I try and copy files from the LInux machine to the Mac they take an eternity. So slow in fact I have to kill the process . I would appreciate any thoughts on why that maybe and also if there is a better way to share files (I guess HTTP-FTP would be the most sensible option ). navti wrote: > IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and > MAC O...

linux to linux X-remote login
I'm on host1, trying to use "X -query host2 :2" to get a remote login to host2. I've tried a few different versions of RedHat and Slackware as host1 and host2 to make this work, but I always have the exact same result: I get a fullscreen grey screen with a black X, which I can move with my mouse, but nothing else happens. right/left clicking does nothing. I can bail from that session with ctrl-alt-backspace. I tried various config file settings on the host1 and host2: /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf [xdmcp] Enable=true Since I'm running kde, I found /opt/kde/shar...

Running wish remotely on a Linux machine via X on a local Mac OS X
Hi all, I am trying to run wish (Active Tcl version) on a remote Linux machine, to which I DON'T have root access (hence the Active Tcl local binary installation). But it doesn't work. Can someone help me? Here is what I do I start X on my Mac at home. From an xterm in local X, I log in remotely with "ssh -X". Then I try to run wish remotely and I get the following: (1) levo:~ [0]% export DISPLAY=localhost:11.0 (0) levo:~ [0]% ./ActiveTcl-8.5/bin/tkcon X Error of failed request: BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter) Major opcode of failed request: 18 (X_ChangeProperty) Atom id in failed request: 0xa6 Serial number of failed request: 12 Current serial number in output stream: 15 TIA ! A quick update and forgive the top quote, but it seems to be due to a crappy Mac OS X Darwim thing, and works fine from Ubuntu. -W On Apr 25, 3:07=A0pm, "Webb S." <webb.spra...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi all, > > I am trying to run wish (Active Tcl version) on a remote Linux > machine, to which I DON'T have root access (hence the Active Tcl local > binary installation). > > But it doesn't work. =A0Can someone help me? > > Here is what I do > > I start X on my Mac at home. > > From an xterm in local X, I log in remotely with "ssh -X". > > Then I try to run wish remotely and I get the following: > > (1) levo:~ [0]% export DISPLAY=3Dlocalhost:11.0 > (0) levo:~ [0]% ./ActiveTcl-8....

[News] [Linux] Linux Has Advantage in the Mobile OS World
How Linux morphed from a server to a mobile OS ,----[ Quote ] | When evaluating Linux as a possible OS candidate, it is important to | remember that the Linux "model" for mobile devices is horizontal. That | is, Linux is not presented as a vertically integrated top to bottom | solution for a mobile device supplied by one vendor. | | It's a sharp contrast to the other OS suppliers such as Microsoft | with Windows Mobile, Symbian and PalmSource. These suppliers | support a highly integrated software stack, incorporating not | only an OS but also extensive middleware and application layer | pieces. Arguably the price for such integration is lack of | flexibility and loss of control. `---- http://www.wirelessnetdesignline.com/howto/broadband/199600344;jsessionid=N1IAB5VKZRD0QQSNDLRCKH0CJUNN2JVN http://tinyurl.com/2c3z7z Microsoft taps mobiles for developing world ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft is facing fierce competition from Linux, however, most | notably the One Laptop per Child project to ship low cost | notebooks to schools in developing nations. | | Linux vendor Red Hat unveiled a Global Desktop last week | targeting computers at small and medium sized businesses as | well as governments in third world nations. `---- http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2189936/microsoft-taps-mobile-tech Related: 70 percent of smartphones use Symbian ,----[ Quote ] | At 3GSM it became clear that 70 percent of all smartphones use Symbian. | | Linux accounts for 16.9 perc...

The non-Linux Linux
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd http://www.archhurd.org/ The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and stability, while remaining largely compatible with it. Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel? taka0038@gmail.com wrote: > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd > > http://www.archhurd.org/ > > The Hurd aims to surpass the Unix kernel in functionality, security, and > stability, while remaining largely compatible with it. > > Can this compete with the now Google-backed Linux kernel? Yes. In a...

[News] Linux, Linux, Linux at Acer (Phones and Tablets)

BASIC for OS X / Linux...
I wondering that since YABASIC is open source, would it be possible to update the FLEX/BISON code to closely approximate PB/CC on Linux or (better yet) OS X? I downloaded the Unix source code and purchased a book on lexx/yacc, but I'm pretty sure this is not something for the faint of heart. I'm not pleased with REALbasic and would love to run my existing DOS/Console applications on my Mac and Linux boxes. Since PowerBASIC isn't showing much interest in cross-platform tools, year after year passes and I'm still stuck with only a couple of serious options on ...

Linux VMPlayer under OS X
Greetings! I've read tidbits here and there about running the Linux version of vmware-player under OS X and I was wondering if anyone had more information about that. I need to run Windows on an intel Mac if possible so any help would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance, Scott -- Scott * Scott (2006-03-06): > Greetings! > I've read tidbits here and there about running the Linux version of > vmware-player under OS X and I was wondering if anyone had more information > about that. I need to run Windows on an intel Mac if possible so any help > would be most apprecia...

Linux, linux, you mutter...
Vagrants, scaliwags and bums. That's what you advocates are. Drunk old men, wearing jute pants in the alley. LeeLee Sobiesky looks elegant in this picture: http://www.leeleesobieski.com/pics/lld/lld12.jpg -- Kent East Hill for Bush '04 Death to Kent West Hillians !!! DEATH TO KENT WEST HILL wrote: > > Vagrants, scaliwags and bums. > > That's what you advocates are. > > Drunk old men, wearing jute pants in the alley. > > LeeLee Sobiesky looks elegant in this picture: > > http://www.leeleesobieski.com/pics/lld/lld12.jpg > What is sh...

Is this possible?? (OS X Linux)
Has anyone come up with a way of making any of the linux distributions with KDE or Gnome to look like OS X?? FE wrote: > Has anyone come up with a way of making any of the linux distributions > with KDE or Gnome to look like OS X?? Yes. There was a KDE theme called Aqua. ...

Linux Applications for OS X
Hello. I hear that you can get most Linux applications installed for OS X. Does anybody have any experience with a specific application or set of application that just won't work for OS X? Can you get *anything* Linux-based to run on OS X(aside from some obvious exceptions, like Beryl/compiz GNOME, KDE, etc.)? I am wondering if it is worth trying to install Linux as a dual boot, VM, or whatnot, since it seems that most, if not all applications that are written for Linux, can be ported easily, or already are ported, to OS X. Any insights? On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 13:12:20 +0000, klauer wrote: > Hello. > > I hear that you can get most Linux applications installed for OS X. Does > anybody have any experience with a specific application or set of > application that just won't work for OS X? Can you get *anything* > Linux-based to run on OS X(aside from some obvious exceptions, like > Beryl/compiz GNOME, KDE, etc.)? > > I am wondering if it is worth trying to install Linux as a dual boot, > VM, or whatnot, since it seems that most, if not all applications that > are written for Linux, can be ported easily, or already are ported, to > OS X. > > Any insights? There are apps that will compile under OS X as long as the proper libs and devel libs are present. When I was running OS X on a G3 I compiled a couple of apps (Pan, for one) from a tarball DLed from the Pan page. But I think I was still running them under X, not Aqua. ...

Is Linux better than OS X?
It appears so: http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2436&p=9 In article <brSdnWbYKM4ieT3fRVn-rg@rogers.com>, Tim <mayertj1@no-spam.com> wrote: > It appears so: > > http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2436&p=9 "Workstation, yes; Server, no." Given MySQL's poor performance on OS X Server, I'd not implement a LAMP server on OS X Server. But I've used both platforms as workstations, and I'd rather use OS X for that. So it appears that the question is more complicated than you have room to think about. -- Timberwoof <me at timberwoof dot com> http://www.timberwoof.com If Macintosh is a luxury cruise ship, then Linux is a freighter with wood paneling in the officers' quarters. ...

OS X, Linux, dreaming...
I'm still dreaming of PowerBASIC for other operating systems.... Please, let me have something faster than REALbasic!!! - CSW Scott Wyatt wrote: > I'm still dreaming of PowerBASIC for other operating systems.... > > Please, let me have something faster than REALbasic!!! > > - CSW They may be good OSes but the size of the market says in your dreams. Lou (You will get more replies if you post to alt.lang.powerbasic and to comp.lang.basic.powerbasic. Not all servers carry alt.lang.powerbasic.) Scott Wyatt wrote: >I'm still dre...

[News] [Linux] More Speculations About a Google OS Based on GNU/Linux
Google admits that it is going after Microsoft Office... Is Windows next? ,----[ Quote ] | So that brings us to the obvious question: What about the operating | system? There have been rumors for years about a Google PC and/or | Google OS that was based on Linux and aimed at providing a simple, | intuitive desktop for the masses. Naturally, that Google PC would | primarily be an Internet terminal that features Google's online | applications. `---- http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=465 Still getting slapped for spyware (Dell) and news aggregators... Google stands firm behind N...