Don't see RISC OS computer in 'My network places'

Hi,

I've got an XP Home laptop, Iyonix, router/hub and LanMan98.

I can ping both ways.
Laptop's 'Workgroup' name  =  Iyonix's 'Local domain' name.
Laptop folders and Iyonix hard-disc are 'shared'.
LanMan98 gives me access to the laptop from my Iyonix.

But I can't see my Iyonix's shared directories in the laptop's 'My
network places' or 'View workgroup computers'.  Any clues?

(I'll see any replies and will be able to reply on Tuesday.)

Chris Bell.

0
Chris
5/13/2010 8:50:08 PM
comp.sys.acorn.networking 1780 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In message <5116f14253news@highpath.net>
          Chris Bell <news@highpath.net> wrote:

> Hi,

> I've got an XP Home laptop, Iyonix, router/hub and LanMan98.

> I can ping both ways.
> Laptop's 'Workgroup' name  =  Iyonix's 'Local domain' name.
> Laptop folders and Iyonix hard-disc are 'shared'.
> LanMan98 gives me access to the laptop from my Iyonix.

> But I can't see my Iyonix's shared directories in the laptop's 'My
> network places' or 'View workgroup computers'.  Any clues?

> (I'll see any replies and will be able to reply on Tuesday.)

> Chris Bell.

So are you sharing the Iyonix folders via !smbserver , if not then
this is the reason they can't be seen.

--
Using an IYONIX pc and RISC OS 5.16, the thinking person's alternative
operating system to Microsoft Windows.
   Chris Bell <news@highpath.net> wrote:
> Laptop folders and Iyonix hard-disc are 'shared'.

Sharing on an Iyonix or other RISC OS machine will be using ShareFS.
Windows knows nothing about this, although of course running VRPC on
the windows machine will then let you use ShareFS under VRPC.

To share a RISC OS disc directly with windows requires Samba server
or NFS server.

--
Chris .....

0
Chris
5/13/2010 10:47:27 PM
In article <5116f14253news@highpath.net>, Chris Bell
<news@highpath.net> wrote:
> Hi,

> I've got an XP Home laptop, Iyonix, router/hub and LanMan98.

> I can ping both ways. Laptop's 'Workgroup' name  =  Iyonix's
> 'Local domain' name. Laptop folders and Iyonix hard-disc are
> 'shared'. LanMan98 gives me access to the laptop from my
> Iyonix.

You can use the LanMan98 connection both to push files to and to
pull files from the Laptop ...

> But I can't see my Iyonix's shared directories in the laptop's
> 'My network places' or 'View workgroup computers'.  Any clues?

.... but if you really need to do that you need a server on the
Iyonix to push files to the Laptop.  I used to use !SmbServer for
this but now find I can do without it.

Brian.

Brian Carroll, Ripon, N Yorks, UK  briancarroll at f2s dot com
Brian
5/14/2010 10:21:15 AM
On May 13, 11:47=A0pm, Chris Johnson <chrisjohnson+n...@spamcop.net>
wrote:
> In article <5116f14253n...@highpath.net>,
> =A0 =A0Chris Bell <n...@highpath.net> wrote:
>
> > Laptop folders and Iyonix hard-disc are 'shared'.
>
> [snip]
>
> To share a RISC OS disc directly with windows requires Samba server
> or NFS server.

Have you tried MoonFish?
http://www.cp15.org/internet/
0
trevj
5/14/2010 3:15:32 PM

Brian Carroll <bric-nospam@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> You can use the LanMan98 connection both to push files to and to
> pull files from the Laptop ...

Thanks for the help.  I've tried !smbserver without any luck, and have
looked at Moon/SunFish without any understanding.  So I think I'll
simply push and pull files as recommended by Brian!

Chris.

0
Chris
5/19/2010 9:19:30 AM
On 19 May 2010  Chris Bell <news@highpath.net> wrote:

[snip]

> Thanks for the help.  I've tried !smbserver without any luck, and have
> looked at Moon/SunFish without any understanding.  So I think I'll
> simply push and pull files as recommended by Brian!

Like you, I could never make Smbserver work, but there's an excellent
article by Chris Hughes in the Wakefield RISC OS Club's newsletter,
which is now publicly available on http://www.wrocc.org.uk/newsletter/

Look at page 4 of the April, 2010 newsletter. With the help of this, I
got Smbserver working quite easily.

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter, \  /      zfc Yb       \     Prestbury, Cheltenham,  Glos. GL52
Anne    \/ __            __    \                              England.
Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@ormail.co.uk> wrote:

> Like you, I could never make Smbserver work, but there's an excellent
> article by Chris Hughes in the Wakefield RISC OS Club's newsletter,
> which is now publicly available on http://www.wrocc.org.uk/newsletter/

> Look at page 4 of the April, 2010 newsletter. With the help of this,
> I got Smbserver working quite easily.

Thanks Peter - much easier to understand - all set up now, except for
the very last bit...

'Putting it to use' says 'go to Windows Explorer (the filer)'.  Please
tell me where this is!

Thanks,
Chris.

0
Chris
5/19/2010 11:08:24 AM
On 19 May 2010  Chris Bell <news@highpath.net> wrote:

> Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@ormail.co.uk> wrote:

>> Like you, I could never make Smbserver work, but there's an excellent
>> article by Chris Hughes in the Wakefield RISC OS Club's newsletter,
>> which is now publicly available on http://www.wrocc.org.uk/newsletter/

>> Look at page 4 of the April, 2010 newsletter. With the help of this,
>> I got Smbserver working quite easily.

> Thanks Peter - much easier to understand - all set up now, except for
> the very last bit...

> 'Putting it to use' says 'go to Windows Explorer (the filer)'.  Please
> tell me where this is!

Yes, that's the bit where I got stuck for a while! Basically, and
Windows filer window can be formatted to have an address bar at the
top. Yours may have this by default, but mine had to be formatted.
It's not, I think, and intuitive process, and may well be better
explained with screenshots. Let me have a valid e-mail address, and
I'll get in touch off-group. Perhaps not today, though, as I'm going
to be busy.

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter,  \   /                 \     Prestbury, Cheltenham,  Glos. GL52
Anne     \ / __            __  \                              England.
and       / /  \ | | |\ | /  _  \     http://pnyoung.orpheusweb.co.uk
family   /  \__/ \_/ | \| \__/   \______________ pnyoung@ormail.co.uk.
0
Dr
5/19/2010 11:29:48 AM
In message <5119d303c6news@highpath.net>
          Chris Bell <news@highpath.net> wrote:

> Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@ormail.co.uk> wrote:

>> Like you, I could never make Smbserver work, but there's an excellent
>> article by Chris Hughes in the Wakefield RISC OS Club's newsletter,
>> which is now publicly available on http://www.wrocc.org.uk/newsletter/

>> Look at page 4 of the April, 2010 newsletter. With the help of this,
>> I got Smbserver working quite easily.

> Thanks Peter - much easier to understand - all set up now, except for
> the very last bit...

> 'Putting it to use' says 'go to Windows Explorer (the filer)'.  Please
> tell me where this is!

> Thanks,
> Chris.

Hello Chris,

Just double click on a directory and at the top you will see an
address line , just like being in a web browser. Type in there ...
works for me!

--
Dave Wisnia, Leeds, UK

0
David
5/19/2010 11:31:54 AM
Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@ormail.co.uk> wrote:

> Yes, that's the bit where I got stuck for a while! Basically, and
> Windows filer window can be formatted to have an address bar at the
> top. Yours may have this by default, but mine had to be formatted.
> It's not, I think, and intuitive process, and may well be better
> explained with screenshots. Let me have a valid e-mail address, and
> I'll get in touch off-group. Perhaps not today, though, as I'm going
> to be busy.

Replied off-group.

Thank you,
Chris.

0
Chris
5/19/2010 12:27:03 PM
On 19 May 2010  David <dswis@freeuk.com> wrote:

> In message <5119d303c6news@highpath.net>
>           Chris Bell <news@highpath.net> wrote:

>> Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@ormail.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Like you, I could never make Smbserver work, but there's an excellent
>>> article by Chris Hughes in the Wakefield RISC OS Club's newsletter,
>>> which is now publicly available on http://www.wrocc.org.uk/newsletter/

>>> Look at page 4 of the April, 2010 newsletter. With the help of this,
>>> I got Smbserver working quite easily.

>> Thanks Peter - much easier to understand - all set up now, except for
>> the very last bit...

>> 'Putting it to use' says 'go to Windows Explorer (the filer)'.  Please
>> tell me where this is!

>> Thanks,
>> Chris.

> Hello Chris,

> Just double click on a directory and at the top you will see an
> address line , just like being in a web browser. Type in there ...
> works for me!

Ah, but here, when I first set up Smbserver, that address line wasn't
there, and it wasn't east, to me, to get it there!

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter, \  /      zfc Yb       \     Prestbury, Cheltenham,  Glos. GL52
Anne    \/ __            __    \                              England.
and     / /  \ | | |\ | /  _    \      http://pnyoung.orpheusweb.co.uk
family /  \__/ \_/ | \| \__/     \______________ pnyoung@ormail.co.uk
0
Dr
5/19/2010 12:28:14 PM
David <dswis@freeuk.com> wrote:

> Hello Chris,

> Just double click on a directory and at the top you will see an
> address line , just like being in a web browser. Type in there ...
> works for me!

Thanks.  There wasn't an Address Bar, but I've managed to add one (not
particularly intuitive!)

Next problem:
   Windows can't find my shared directory when I type
   '\\chris\ChrTmp' in an Address Bar.

Configuration:
   Windows workgoup = RISC OS local domain
                    = smbserver workgroup
                    = 'Cornant'

   RISC OS host name = smbserver server string
                     = 'Chris'

   smbserver shared directory = 'ChrTmp'
     (and it's path is correctly entered)

Questions:
   Are these names case-sensitive?
   Do I have to edit the Windows 'hosts' files (as per smbserver
     manual) or not (as per WROCC newsletter)?

LanMan98:
   This displays all Windows files, including 'hidden' ones.
   Can this be prevented?

Many thanks,
Chris.

0
Chris
5/19/2010 1:05:45 PM
In message <5119c90ba6news@highpath.net>
          Chris Bell <news@highpath.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the help.  I've tried !smbserver without any luck, and have
> looked at Moon/SunFish without any understanding.

Moonfish is dead easy, and Sunfish just works with nothing to do.

Dave
0
Dave
5/19/2010 7:57:17 PM
On 19 May,
     Dave Higton <davehigton@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> Moonfish is dead easy, and Sunfish just works with nothing to do.

I found sunfish just worked. vvveeeerrrryyyy ssslllloooowwwwllllyyy with the
default settings. Almost enough to give up on. Changed settings to tcp and V4
and what a difference!

--
Brian D
VirtualRPC-AdjustSA
          Dave Higton <davehigton@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> In message <5119c90ba6news@highpath.net>
>           Chris Bell <news@highpath.net> wrote:

>> Thanks for the help.  I've tried !smbserver without any luck, and have
>> looked at Moon/SunFish without any understanding.

> Moonfish is dead easy, and Sunfish just works with nothing to do.

Had always avoided sambaserver as being too complicated, but tried it
last night with the WROC instructions. In scarcely 10 minutes
(including downloading) my Win XP machine could see my RPC files. It's
certainly well worth trying.

Philip.

--
Philip Draper

    Philip@borehamh.demon.co.uk
0
Philip
5/21/2010 9:35:48 AM
Philip Draper <Philip@borehamh.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Had always avoided sambaserver as being too complicated, but tried it
> last night with the WROC instructions. In scarcely 10 minutes
> (including downloading) my Win XP machine could see my RPC files.
> It's certainly well worth trying.

The WOCC instructions make the RISC OS end easy, but my Win XP computer
still won't display my RO files.  And being an XP novice, I can't work
out what to do.

I've noticed that XP sometimes changes the case of names that I've
entered, so am I correct in assuming that they're not case-sensitive?
(ie. Windows workgroup, RISC OS local domain, smbserver workgroup,
smbserver server string, smbserver shared directory.)

Chris.

0
Chris
5/21/2010 10:02:30 AM
In message <511ad4a74anews@highpath.net>
          Chris Bell <news@highpath.net> wrote:

> Philip Draper <Philip@borehamh.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>> Had always avoided sambaserver as being too complicated, but tried it
>> last night with the WROC instructions. In scarcely 10 minutes
>> (including downloading) my Win XP machine could see my RPC files.
>> It's certainly well worth trying.

> The WOCC instructions make the RISC OS end easy, but my Win XP computer
> still won't display my RO files.  And being an XP novice, I can't work
> out what to do.

I'm no XP expert, and had to use the Microsoft help site to work out
what Windows Explorer was. It turns out to be the window you get by
clicking on the Network icon on the desktop. Inside you should find an
icon 'New Network Place'. I clicked on that and my RPC appeared.

Note that I have XP set up so it looks like one of the earlier
versions of Windows (less garish colours and horrible design). So
arrangement of windows may be different (though the files are all the
same).
 Philip.

--
Philip Draper

    Philip@borehamh.demon.co.uk
0
Philip
5/21/2010 12:35:43 PM
On 21 May, Philip Draper wrote in message
    <24aee21a51.Philip@borehamh.demon.co.uk>:

> In message <511ad4a74anews@highpath.net>
>           Chris Bell <news@highpath.net> wrote:
>
> > The WOCC instructions

WROCC?

> > make the RISC OS end easy, but my Win XP computer
> > still won't display my RO files.  And being an XP novice, I can't work
> > out what to do.
>
> I'm no XP expert, and had to use the Microsoft help site to work out what
> Windows Explorer was. It turns out to be the window you get by clicking on
> the Network icon on the desktop.

True, but it would be easier to say that it's the "Filer window" on Windows.
 "Start->My Computer" will get you there much more quickly on a standard XP
system.

> Inside you should find an icon 'New Network Place'. I clicked on that and
> my RPC appeared.

You can do that, but the instructions (and screenshot) given in the article
in The WROCC also work fine.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/
0
Steve
5/21/2010 4:18:56 PM
In message <24aee21a51.Philip@borehamh.demon.co.uk>
          Philip Draper <Philip@borehamh.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <511ad4a74anews@highpath.net>
>           Chris Bell <news@highpath.net> wrote:

>> Philip Draper <Philip@borehamh.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Had always avoided sambaserver as being too complicated, but tried it
>>> last night with the WROC instructions. In scarcely 10 minutes
>>> (including downloading) my Win XP machine could see my RPC files.
>>> It's certainly well worth trying.

>> The WOCC instructions make the RISC OS end easy, but my Win XP computer
>> still won't display my RO files.  And being an XP novice, I can't work
>> out what to do.

> I'm no XP expert, and had to use the Microsoft help site to work out
> what Windows Explorer was. It turns out to be the window you get by
> clicking on the Network icon on the desktop. Inside you should find an
> icon 'New Network Place'. I clicked on that and my RPC appeared.

Windows Explorer (you explorer your files) is the Filer and can be
customised as you wish, similar to some versions of the RISC OS filer.

Internet Explorer = exploring the Internet
Windows Explorer = exploring your files and folders plus if
appropriate your network files/folders

[snip]

--
Chris Hughes
0
          Steve Fryatt <news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:

> On 21 May, Philip Draper wrote in message
>     <24aee21a51.Philip@borehamh.demon.co.uk>:

>> In message <511ad4a74anews@highpath.net>
>>           Chris Bell <news@highpath.net> wrote:
>>
>>> The WOCC instructions

> WROCC?

True - I spotted that after I wrote.

>>> make the RISC OS end easy, but my Win XP computer
>>> still won't display my RO files.  And being an XP novice, I can't work
>>> out what to do.
>>
>> I'm no XP expert, and had to use the Microsoft help site to work out what
>> Windows Explorer was. It turns out to be the window you get by clicking on
>> the Network icon on the desktop.

> True, but it would be easier to say that it's the "Filer window" on Windows.
>  "Start->My Computer" will get you there much more quickly on a standard XP
> system.

I just looked - it doesn't on mine because there is no such entry in
the menu. But I do have 'My Computer (actually renamed) and Network on
my desktop. It is in the latter that the RPC files appeared. I think
'classic Windows' (the pre-XP desktop and windows design which is an
option with XP) has a significantly different menu under Start.

>> Inside you should find an icon 'New Network Place'. I clicked on that and
>> my RPC appeared.

> You can do that, but the instructions (and screenshot) given in the article
> in The WROCC also work fine.

Except it did not explain what Windows Explorer was.

Seriously, though, the message is that sambaserver is easy to set up
and works well.

Philip.

--
Philip Draper

    Philip@borehamh.demon.co.uk
0
Philip
5/23/2010 7:30:55 PM
In message <cfc6f21b51.chris@o2.co.uk>
          Chris Hughes <news@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <24aee21a51.Philip@borehamh.demon.co.uk>
>           Philip Draper <Philip@borehamh.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>> In message <511ad4a74anews@highpath.net>
>>           Chris Bell <news@highpath.net> wrote:

>>> The WOCC instructions make the RISC OS end easy, but my Win XP computer
>>> still won't display my RO files.  And being an XP novice, I can't work
>>> out what to do.

>> I'm no XP expert, and had to use the Microsoft help site to work out
>> what Windows Explorer was. It turns out to be the window you get by
>> clicking on the Network icon on the desktop. Inside you should find an
>> icon 'New Network Place'. I clicked on that and my RPC appeared.

> Windows Explorer (you explorer your files) is the Filer and can be
> customised as you wish, similar to some versions of the RISC OS filer.

> Internet Explorer = exploring the Internet
> Windows Explorer = exploring your files and folders plus if
> appropriate your network files/folders

Although just to confuse things there seems to be a lot of integration
between them. If you type a URL into Windows Explorer it will open a
web page (as will the open and save boxes from most applications),
while typing C:\ in Internet Explorer wil probably display the root of
your hard drive - probably because file permissions might affect the
behaviour.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@adamshome.org.uk
Philip Draper <Philip@borehamh.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Chris Bell <news@highpath.net> wrote:

> > The WOCC instructions make the RISC OS end easy, but my Win XP
> > computer still won't display my RO files.  And being an XP novice,
> > I can't work out what to do.

No good - I've given up.

I've set up SmbServer using the WROCC instructions, but nothing ever
shows up in Windows.  Blahhhh!

Thanks to all who've tried to help me.

> Note that I have XP set up so it looks like one of the earlier
> versions of Windows

Me too.

> (less garish colours and horrible design).

I couldn't agree more.  And I laugh every time I click 'Start' to close
down the computer - I'd change that word to 'Tasks' if I could find it
in a Windows template (it seems much easier to alter silly RISC OS
things).

Chris.

0
Chris
5/25/2010 8:09:20 AM
In article <511cd9a2c5news@highpath.net>,
   Chris Bell <news@highpath.net> wrote:

> And I laugh every time I click 'Start' to close down the
> computer - I'd change that word to 'Tasks' if I could
> find it in a Windows template (it seems much easier to
> alter silly RISC OS things).

I seem to remember asking about this somewhere around here
several years ago, if there was any way to change "Start" to
"Shut Down", which is usually the only thing I use that
button for.

I do not remember ever getting a simple answer - the button
still says "Start".

--
Russell
http://www.russell-hafter-holidays.co.uk
wrote:

> In article <511cd9a2c5news@highpath.net>,
>    Chris Bell <news@highpath.net> wrote:
>
>> And I laugh every time I click 'Start' to close down the
>> computer - I'd change that word to 'Tasks' if I could
>> find it in a Windows template (it seems much easier to
>> alter silly RISC OS things).
>
> I seem to remember asking about this somewhere around here
> several years ago, if there was any way to change "Start" to
> "Shut Down", which is usually the only thing I use that
> button for.
>
> I do not remember ever getting a simple answer - the button
> still says "Start".

I believe it requires an executable to be edited. This means that you
have to keep the number of characters the same. System updates will
probably overwrite it. It is also likely that security systems will
take offense. (I have not seen any mention of it recently, though I
saw how to do it years ago, I suspect the last problem might be to
great for the benefit.)

--
Jess                   Iyonix
0
On 25 May 2010  Chris Bell <news@highpath.net> wrote:

> Philip Draper <Philip@borehamh.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> Chris Bell <news@highpath.net> wrote:

>>> The WOCC instructions make the RISC OS end easy, but my Win XP
>>> computer still won't display my RO files.  And being an XP novice,
>>> I can't work out what to do.

> No good - I've given up.

Honest, this isn't meant to be insulting, but it's based on things
that I've done myself in the past!

You do have Smbserver running on RISC OS at the relevant time, don't
you?

Or do you need to change the firewall settings in Windows?

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter, \  /      zfc Yb       \     Prestbury, Cheltenham,  Glos. GL52
Anne    \/ __            __    \                              England.
and     / /  \ | | |\ | /  _    \      http://pnyoung.orpheusweb.co.uk
family /  \__/ \_/ | \| \__/     \______________ pnyoung@ormail.co.uk
0
Dr
5/25/2010 9:49:02 AM
Russell Hafter News wrote:
> In article <511cd9a2c5news@highpath.net>,
>    Chris Bell <news@highpath.net> wrote:
>
>> And I laugh every time I click 'Start' to close down the
>> computer - I'd change that word to 'Tasks' if I could
>> find it in a Windows template (it seems much easier to
>> alter silly RISC OS things).
>
> I seem to remember asking about this somewhere around here
> several years ago, if there was any way to change "Start" to
> "Shut Down", which is usually the only thing I use that
> button for.
>
> I do not remember ever getting a simple answer - the button
> still says "Start".

You didn't get a simple answer because it's not a simple procedure
to change it. My advice would be to train yourself to read it as
something more appropriate rather than actually changing it. :-)

Here's how to do it on XP:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/change_text_on_xp_start_button1.htm

It involves editing and recompiling explorer.exe and editing the
registry, both of which can cause Bad Things to happen.

Cheers,

Ollie
0
Ollie
5/25/2010 10:23:30 AM
Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@ormail.co.uk> wrote:

> Honest, this isn't meant to be insulting, but it's based on things
> that I've done myself in the past!

I'm not insulted, just irriatated by an operating system which I don't
seem to be able to get to grips with, probably because it assumes I'm a
dim-wit who wants it to control everything for me.

(I love the way I can customise RISC OS machines to work the way *I*
want to work.)

> You do have Smbserver running on RISC OS at the relevant time, don't
> you?

Of course!

> Or do you need to change the firewall settings in Windows?

Maybe - I hadn't thought of that - is that a pretty obvious task to do?

Chris.

0
Chris
5/25/2010 2:56:31 PM
On 25 May 2010  Chris Bell <news@highpath.net> wrote:

> Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@ormail.co.uk> wrote:

>> Honest, this isn't meant to be insulting, but it's based on things
>> that I've done myself in the past!

> I'm not insulted, just irriatated by an operating system which I don't
> seem to be able to get to grips with, probably because it assumes I'm a
> dim-wit who wants it to control everything for me.

> (I love the way I can customise RISC OS machines to work the way *I*
> want to work.)

>> You do have Smbserver running on RISC OS at the relevant time, don't
>> you?

> Of course!

>> Or do you need to change the firewall settings in Windows?

> Maybe - I hadn't thought of that - is that a pretty obvious task to do?

Pass. Over to the experts ...

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter, \  /      zfc Yb       \     Prestbury, Cheltenham,  Glos. GL52
Anne    \/ __            __    \                              England.
and     / /  \ | | |\ | /  _    \      http://pnyoung.orpheusweb.co.uk
family /  \__/ \_/ | \| \__/     \______________ pnyoung@ormail.co.uk
0
Dr
5/25/2010 3:29:32 PM
In message <2cf0011d51.pnyoung@pnyoung.ormail.co.uk>
          Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@ormail.co.uk> wrote:

> On 25 May 2010  Chris Bell <news@highpath.net> wrote:

>> Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@ormail.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Honest, this isn't meant to be insulting, but it's based on things
>>> that I've done myself in the past!

>> I'm not insulted, just irriatated by an operating system which I don't
>> seem to be able to get to grips with, probably because it assumes I'm a
>> dim-wit who wants it to control everything for me.

>> (I love the way I can customise RISC OS machines to work the way *I*
>> want to work.)

>>> You do have Smbserver running on RISC OS at the relevant time, don't
>>> you?

>> Of course!

>>> Or do you need to change the firewall settings in Windows?

>> Maybe - I hadn't thought of that - is that a pretty obvious task to do?

> Pass. Over to the experts ...

You need to tell whatever firewaall you're running that you want to
trust the local network. That's a simple tick box in Zonealarm, which
I use. I seem to remember it's a bit more convoluted for the Windows
firewall. (Don't run more than one firewall by the way.)

It will matter, because in order for Windows to "see" your Smbserver,
it has to receive broadcast messages, and by default, they will be
stopped.

The other requirement is that the workgroup name on both must be the
same. With Windows XP Pro it defaults to WORKGROUP, with XP Home it
defaults to MSHOME. You can change it in WindowsXP by using
right-click on My Computer, selecting properties, then the Computer
Name tab, then Change. You'll need to reboot before it takes effect.

In smbserver, you use configure, smbserver, workgroup.

Without that step, the broadcasts tend to be ignored.

Alan

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@adamshome.org.uk
http://www.nckc.org.uk/
0
Alan
5/25/2010 5:16:25 PM
wrote:

> In article <511cd9a2c5news@highpath.net>,
>    Chris Bell <news@highpath.net> wrote:

>> And I laugh every time I click 'Start' to close down the
>> computer - I'd change that word to 'Tasks' if I could
>> find it in a Windows template (it seems much easier to
>> alter silly RISC OS things).

> I seem to remember asking about this somewhere around here
> several years ago, if there was any way to change "Start" to
> "Shut Down", which is usually the only thing I use that
> button for.

> I do not remember ever getting a simple answer - the button
> still says "Start".

Why not just do ALT-F4 instead of going to Start (note if you still
have applications opne it will close them one at a time first but will
offer a shutdown etc after that)

--
Chris Hughes
0
<news@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> > I do not remember ever getting a simple answer - the
> > button still says "Start".

> Why not just do ALT-F4 instead of going to Start (note if
> you still have applications opne it will close them one
> at a time first but will offer a shutdown etc after that)

Because I did not know about it, so thanks.

That said, I have never been keen on keyboard "shortcuts",
especially ones that combine SHIFT/CTRL/ALT with Function
keys, as I find them all impossible to remember, apart from
SHIFT-CTRL-F12.

I cannot even remember how to open a task window using a key
combination.

--
Russell
http://www.russell-hafter-holidays.co.uk
Russell Hafter Holidays         E-mail to enquiries at our domain
Need a hotel? <http://www.hrs.com/?client=en__blue&customerId=416873103>
0
Russell
5/27/2010 9:22:44 AM
In message <511de80752see.sig@walkingingermany.invalid>
          Russell Hafter News <see.sig@walkingingermany.invalid> wrote:

>In article <ce66df1d51.chris@o2.co.uk>, Chris Hughes
><news@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> > I do not remember ever getting a simple answer - the
>> > button still says "Start".
>
>> Why not just do ALT-F4 instead of going to Start (note if
>> you still have applications opne it will close them one
>> at a time first but will offer a shutdown etc after that)
>
>Because I did not know about it, so thanks.
>
>That said, I have never been keen on keyboard "shortcuts",
>especially ones that combine SHIFT/CTRL/ALT with Function
>keys, as I find them all impossible to remember, apart from
>SHIFT-CTRL-F12.
>
>I cannot even remember how to open a task window using a key
>combination.

CTRL F12.

I use it instead of doing just F12 which gets you the command line.

--
Kev Wells  http://riscos.kevsoft.co.uk/
http://kevsoft.co.uk/   http://kevsoft.co.uk/AleQuest/
<kevinwells@talktalk.net> wrote:

> >I cannot even remember how to open a task window using a
> >key combination.

> CTRL F12.

Sure. I know it is <SOMETHING>+F12, but I cannot remember
what <SOMETHING> is. So, I have to look it up any time I
want it (by clicking on the Acorn icon) and by the time I
have gone there, it is far easier just to move the mouse to
the appropriate part of the menu. In any case, I can never
remember whether ^ is supposed to mean SHIFT or CTRL -
another reason for using the mouse.

No idea why I cannot remember - I have only been using RISC
OS since A5000s were the latest thing.

> I use it instead of doing just F12 which gets you the
> command line.

Yes - and I can remember that one too, but it does not
involve using another key.

--
Russell
http://www.russell-hafter-holidays.co.uk
Russell Hafter Holidays         E-mail to enquiries at our domain
Need a hotel? <http://www.hrs.com/?client=en__blue&customerId=416873103>
0
Russell
5/27/2010 4:26:31 PM
In message <511cd9a2c5news@highpath.net>
          Chris Bell <news@highpath.net> wrote:

> Philip Draper <Philip@borehamh.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> Chris Bell <news@highpath.net> wrote:

>>> The WOCC instructions make the RISC OS end easy, but my Win XP
>>> computer still won't display my RO files.  And being an XP novice,
>>> I can't work out what to do.

> No good - I've given up.

> I've set up SmbServer using the WROCC instructions, but nothing ever
> shows up in Windows.  Blahhhh!

So if you go to the Filer in Windows (windows explorer) and type the
path to your RISC OS computer in the address bar nothing happens. Try
using the IP address of your RISC OS computer instead.

Which Firewall are you using. The built in Windows one, Zone Alarm or
some other one provided by one of the Internet security packages?

--
Chris Hughes
0
Alan Adams <alan@adamshome.org.uk> wrote:

> You need to tell whatever firewaall you're running that you want to
> trust the local network. That's a simple tick box in Zonealarm, which
> I use. I seem to remember it's a bit more convoluted for the Windows
> firewall. (Don't run more than one firewall by the way.)

> It will matter, because in order for Windows to "see" your Smbserver,
> it has to receive broadcast messages, and by default, they will be
> stopped.

Thanks, but no, it's not the firewall - I disabled it but that made no
difference.

> The other requirement is that the workgroup name on both must be the
> same. With Windows XP Pro it defaults to WORKGROUP, with XP Home it
> defaults to MSHOME. You can change it in WindowsXP by using
> right-click on My Computer, selecting properties, then the Computer
> Name tab, then Change. You'll need to reboot before it takes effect.

> In smbserver, you use configure, smbserver, workgroup.

> Without that step, the broadcasts tend to be ignored.

I'll recheck all those things carefull this evening.  Thanks.  Maybe
I'll have to call my home network by M$'s default name after all -
that's one thing I did change, but it's the same on both computers.

I'll report back later.

Thanks,
Chris.

0
Chris
5/28/2010 12:23:09 PM
Chris Hughes <news@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> So if you go to the Filer in Windows (windows explorer) and type the
> path to your RISC OS computer in the address bar nothing happens. Try
> using the IP address of your RISC OS computer instead.

Thanks - I'll try that later and will report back.

> Which Firewall are you using. The built in Windows one, Zone Alarm or
> some other one provided by one of the Internet security packages?

I've tried disabling the Windows firewall to no avail.  It doesn't
appear to be the problem.

Chris.

0
Chris
5/28/2010 12:24:54 PM
In article <2ce91a1c51.Alan.Adams@laptop.adamshome.org.uk>,
   Alan Adams <alan@adamshome.org.uk> wrote:
> Although just to confuse things there seems to be a lot of integration
> between them. If you type a URL into Windows Explorer it will open a
> web page

In your default browser, not in the windows explorer window.

> (as will the open and save boxes from most applications),
> while typing C:\ in Internet Explorer wil probably display the root of
> your hard drive - probably because file permissions might affect the
> behaviour.

Typing C:/ into ChromePlus, it changes to file:///C:/ and opens in the
browser in an FTP kinda display.

/// is pronounced "Tim Berners Lee" by the way. Without him we wouldn't
be wasting all those strokes.  ;-)

0
Tim

OS X
after a bit of reading, it looks like I did a veeeeery shtupid thing... (I'm copying my post to this newsgroup, as the alt.sys.mac.newuser-help group didn't look quite as highly-trafficked...) anyways, here's what I did... ----------------------------------- in an effort to help the owner of a nice shiny new eMac 'clean up' their personal folder, I moved a few items... including the Library folder! it appears.... correct me if I'm wrong... that Mac OS X then created a NEW library... so we restarted it, and all the Quicken data, dialup info, (etc.) was gone... so we ...

'^=' and '~='?

'is not' or '!='
A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements like: if x is not None: and if x != None: Without any context, which one should be preferred? IMHO, the latter is more readable. On 2014-08-18 21:35, ElChino wrote: > A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements > like: > if x is not None: > and > if x != None: > > Without any context, which one should be preferred? > IMHO, the latter is more readable. > "x == y" tells you whether x and y refer to objects that are equal. "x is y&qu...

[News] Computers Could Transform to a 'Network' (Goodbye, 'Desktop')
'The Big Switch': Welcome to the Worldwide Computer ,----[ Quote ] | According to Nicholas Carr, author of The Big Switch and former executive | editor of the Harvard Business Review, the revolution that's coming is based | on the idea that the Internet, a network of computers, is becoming a gigantic | computer itself. Not only will users be able to write programs to run on | this "World Wide Computer," as Carr calls it, but sooner or later, this | system will gain a level of artificial intelligence. `---- http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/reviews/61905.html?w...

I don't see why the pipe program doesn't show up on ps when it 'hangs'
I commented out the waitpid() in the following pipe program.. [cdalten@localhost oakland]$ more pip3.c #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/wait.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <stdio.h> int main(void) { pid_t pid; char line[BUFSIZ]; int fd[2]; char string[] = "hello world\n"; ssize_t n; if (pipe(fd) < 0) { fprintf(stderr, "pipe error\n"); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } if ((pid=fork()) < 0) { fprintf(stderr, "fork error\n"); } else if (pid > 0) { close(fd[0]); printf(&qu...

Can't see samba server 'network path not found'
Hello all - I've installed samba 2.2.6 on a SCO unix box and can access from an XP laptop ok. However, on a Windows 2000 desktop, I can't access the samba server and it doesn't show up in the Network Places folder. I assume that the samba install on the unix box is ok since it can be accessed from the XP laptop. I've been thru alot of previous postings and have tried unencrpyted userid passwd, encrypted passwords, adding the ip address to the lmhosts file. I can ping & ftp between the W2000 & samba machines ok. If I try "net view \\192.168.1.2...

PVCS 5.1.1
We use very old (Intersolv's) PVCS ver. 5.1.1 for MS-DOS. Our archives are stored on a Novell network drive. After we migrated from Win'NT to 'XP and also to a newer Novell file- server, we started experiencing intermittent problems with GET displaying messages like this: Non-Network PVCS Version Manager (get) V5.1.1 for MSDOS Copyright 1985-1993 INTERSOLV, Inc. All rights reserved. get: License notification: user ID not authorized get: warning, license notification: not configured to access network files, And this behavior could start right after the sam...

RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other
> -----Original Message----- > From: JF Mezei [mailto:jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com]=20 > Sent: October 11, 2004 11:45 PM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Re: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions=20 > VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS')=20 > other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other=20 > OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other=20 >=20 > "Main, Kerry" wrote: > > Course, there are many ways to offer differen...

Computer can't 'see' itself
I have three Windows XP Pro computers with SP2 on a peer-to-peer network connected to a DSL router. Two of those computers can see one another and themselves(In Network Neighborhood) but cannot see the third. The third can see the other two but cannot see itself. The two can share files with the third by going through Start>Run>"3rd computer name". Under normal circumstances this condition is not a problem but I now have some software that requires that the third computer 'sees' itself, otherwise it locks the other two out of the software. Anyone know how...

Don't understand: when('foo' and/or 'bar')
Would someone be so kind to explain the following (quotes are for win32 perl): perl -E" $u='foo'; given($u){ when('foo' and 'bar'){say 'f'} default{say 'd'} } " d perl -E" $u='bar'; given($u){ when('foo' and 'bar'){say 'f'} default{say 'd'} } " f perl -E" $u='baz'; given($u){ when('foo' and 'bar'){say 'f'} default{say 'd'} } " d perl -E" $u='foo'; given($u){ when('foo' or 'bar'){say 'f'} default{...

RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS')
> -----Original Message----- > From: Soterro [mailto:soterroatyahoocom@address.hp.com]=20 > Sent: October 11, 2004 9:43 AM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Re: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions=20 > VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS')=20 > other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') >=20 > Main, Kerry wrote: > >>From: John Smith [mailto:a@nonymous.com]=20 > >>You aren't directly to blame for this and I know you'd like=20 > >>to keep your > >>job, but just how many times have you and your colleagues=20 > >>written carly(tm) > >>or curly or GQ Bob about this in the past? > >=20 > > Actually, I work with UNIX, Windows as well as OpenVMS.=20 > You're value to > > any corporation goes up exponentially if you know more than one OS.=20 >=20 > I think JS asked something else: is it so out of this world to think=20 > that the insiders could point their superiors to some things? >=20 > S > And you think perhaps that this does not happen? Course, there are many ways to offer different opinions within a large company, but keep in mind that every OS or platform within a company will always try and say it needs more $'s to promote/enhance itself.=20 Take a big company like IBM - what do you think an AIX field person's chances are of convincing their Mgmt to qui...

Removing the letters 't' 'i' 'x' and 'y'
Im having trouble with figuring out how to write a function which will remove the letters 't' 'i' 'x' and 'y' from any input string in matlab. for example modstr(pixy) should result in ans = 'p' or modstr(picture) should result in ans = 'pcure' if anyone could offer any help or hints i would really appreciate it. Thank You >> modstr=@(s) s(~ismember(s,'tixy')) modstr = @(s)s(~ismember(s,'tixy')) >> modstr('picture') ans = pcure % Bruno ...

'''''''''''''The Running Update/Append Queries Using VBA code Ordeal''''''''''''''
Hello fellow programmers, I am trying to run an append/update query from code, a command button on a form initiates the queries. the format i am using is; _____________________________________________________ SELECT "criteria" FROM "criteria" WHERE "criteria" UPDATE/APPEND "field selections" RecordSource "qryExample" = above text strings" _______________________________________________________________________ When i am running a SELECT query in this manner it works fine with no problems, and accepts the values of specified linked for...

2 PCs don't 'see' each other
I apologise if this has been covered before - I am new to this group. I have 2 PCs about 30 feet apart both running W98SE. I have installed Belkin wireless PCI cards in each and these appear to be OK. I 'believe' I have followed all the instructions both in the manual and web-site but they still don't recognise each other. Net view only sees the one computer and pinging times out. Before you ask, I have disabled the firewall! Any advice or pointers would be much appreciated. -- Rex (RexLast@dsl.pipex.com Rex D Last Somerset UK) More details. Are they net...

AOL 9.0 don't do it just don't . Don't even think of it.
I had 8.0, and it ran fine. I downloaded 9.0 and that was the end of my computer never having a problem. 3 years and no problems. 1 week with AOL 9.0 and I've had 27 error messages , sign offs and other problems. AOL was no help. They can't even admit it has a problem. So I had to REFORMAT MY HARD DRIVE AND INSTALL ALL MY PROGRAMS AND ALL MY SAVED FILES. Needless to say I no longer have AOL at all. Reformat and get rid of it. ...

'''''''''''''The Running Update/Append Queries Using VBA code Ordeal'''''''''''''' #2
Hi, Thanks for ur help there HJ. I know how to do the tasks you specified there. I would like for the update query to use field values from some of the fields on the form (frmInvoices) such as InvoiceNumber, DateFrom, DateTo. My problem is that an append/update query can't find the values in the open Form (frmInvoices) when I specify them as; [Forms]![frmInvoices]![InvoiceNumber] a select query has no problem finding the field values on a form. please help. Aaron Hi Aaron, Could you post the entire code that you are having trouble with? Now it is not possible to see what goes wrong. HJ "Aaron" <aaron@rapid-motion.co.uk> wrote in message news:260d7f40.0408120245.2f3d01f8@posting.google.com... > Hi, > > Thanks for ur help there HJ. > > I know how to do the tasks you specified there. > > I would like for the update query to use field values from some of the > fields on the form (frmInvoices) such as InvoiceNumber, DateFrom, > DateTo. My problem is that an append/update query can't find the > values in the open Form (frmInvoices) when I specify them as; > > [Forms]![frmInvoices]![InvoiceNumber] > > a select query has no problem finding the field values on a form. > > please help. > > Aaron First off, if you are not always using all the parameters specified in your form, then you have to add parameters to your query on the fly. Also, you can't just do something like qdf.SQL = "SE...

if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy not in ('','.') Any shorter ?
Hi, there. =20 I'm just curious if it ever dawned on anybody how to abbreviate this line : if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy not in ('','.')=20 =20 Igor Kurbeko Clinical Programmer Analyst 678 336 4328 ikurbeko@atherogenics.com =20 no brain no pain =20 how about: if not (str_mo in ('','.') or str_da in ('','.') or str_yy in ('','.')) OR if not (missing(str_mo) or missing(str_da) or missing(str_yy)) Eric On 22 Oct 03 21:13:37 GMT, ikurbeko@ATHER...

When CANNOT use 'first'/'rest' in place of 'car'/'cdr'?
If I'm not mistaken, 'first' and 'rest' seem like modern user friendly replacements for 'car' and 'cdr'. Is it true that car and cdr are only in Common LISP to be able to run ancient LISP code? Is there any time I cannot use 'first' and 'rest' instead?/ Chris seberino@spawar.navy.mil wrote: > If I'm not mistaken, 'first' and 'rest' seem like modern user friendly > replacements for 'car' and 'cdr'. > > Is it true that car and cdr are only in Common LISP to be able > to run ancient LISP ...

2 PCs don't 'see' each other #2
Thanks, again, Madhur I can, indeed 'see' the peripheral computer by typing its name in the IE address bar. I tried uninstalling and re-installing network components in the hope of getting Network Neighbourhood back but no luck. Posing the question to the W98 newsgroup has given me the answer - I'd ticked the box in Tweakui! With regard to ICS, MS say that a router is required but I am hoping to avoid this. It may become necessary tho' if the connection is lost when I move the peripheral PC back to its proper room. I'll have a look at those 2 programs you me...

Why do I get 'Can't activate network card' ?
Hi, I have RH8 and I am using Gnome GUI trying to connect to a LAN hub which connects to a router which connects to a cable modem to the web. My other boxes are XP and all are fine on the network and web. At this point I just need to get to the Internet not communicate the win network. When I try to Activate I get the message Can't Activate. This is my latest effort - but its still not getting to the network. with ifconfig I have.. Line 1. Link encap: Ethernet HWaddr 00:60 etc Line 2. UP BROADCAST etc Line 3. RX Pack 1161 errors - rest are 0's Line 4. TX packs all 0's Line...

Can't see my computer in Network Places
I'm having an intermittent problem ever since installing a Windows 2000 peer network. When I look in My Network Places, no computers are displayed (including my own workstation), and I can't access shares that I could see the previous day (even shares on my workstation). I can ping my workstation, but it doesn't show up in the workgroup. This often happens when powering up in the morning, and after I reboot a few times, everything shows up. Any ideas? Thanks, Tom "Tom" <tdwilsonng@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ae755ef4.0310200720.3f8df897@posting....

Can't see my computer in Network Places
I'm having an intermittent problem ever since installing a Windows 2000 peer network. When I look in My Network Places, no computers are displayed (including my own workstation), and I can't access shares that I could see the previous day (even shares on my workstation). I can ping my workstation, but it doesn't show up in the workgroup. This often happens when powering up in the morning, and after I reboot a few times, everything shows up. Any ideas? Thanks, Tom "Tom" <tdwilsonng@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ae755ef4.0310200720.3f8df897@posting....

A function with 'and' , 'not' , 'null' , 'car' and 'cdr'
What's this ? (defun enigma (x) (and (not (null x)) (or (null (car x)) (enigma (cdr x))))) "I suppose I should learn Lisp, but it seems so foreign." - Paul Graham, Nov 1983 On Wed, Oct 07 2015, CAI GENGYANG wrote: > What's this ? > > > (defun enigma (x) > (and (not (null x)) > (or (null (car x)) > (enigma (cdr x))))) Bad taste? It returns T if the list X contains nil as an element. It would be clearer to write (some #'null x). Helmut CAI GENGYANG ...

Re: if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy not in ('','.') Any shorter ?
OR you could use ARRAY data new; set old; array igor $ (*) str_mo str_da str_yr; do over igor; if igor ~in (' ','.') then do; end; run; Prasad Ravi Igor Kurbeko <ikurbeko@ATHEROGENIC To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU S.COM> cc: Sent by: "SAS(r) Subject: if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy ...

Web resources about - Don't see RISC OS computer in 'My network places' - comp.sys.acorn.networking