Standalone Acorn NC - Boot setup?

Hi,

I've recently acquired an Acorn NC (Xemplar), ex school machine. It
was previously on a network and used Citrix MetaFrame to connect to
Windows NT.

I would like to set it up to make some form of use of it on my home
network. Searching google groups I've managed to get as far as
pressing the ALT keys during boot to set the IP address etc. I've also
got TrueGrid NFS Server on my Windows XP machine, with an export which
I've copied the universal boot sequence into (renamed !nfsboot) from
acorn.riscos.com.

When I type nfsboot at the * prompt, it tries to run the boot sequence
but gives an error:
Support for RISC OS version 450 is missing - reinstall !Boot (error
number &0)

Can anybody suggest what I can do from here?

Do I need a different !Boot, or a different setup. Is it going to be
easier to make it boot from Windows machine or from a RiscPC? What is
the most I would be able to achieve without spending lots of money on
server software?

Even if I can get the !nfsboot working, how would I make it run this
when the machine starts up?

Help appreciated,

Matthew.

0
Matthew
12/25/2004 6:58:31 PM
comp.sys.acorn.networking 1780 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Matthew Pye <me@mjpye.net> wrote:
> When I type nfsboot at the * prompt, it tries to run the boot sequence
> but gives an error:
> Support for RISC OS version 450 is missing - reinstall !Boot (error
> number &0)
>
> Can anybody suggest what I can do from here?

That sounds like it's booting off NFS fine: just NCOS claims it's RISC OS
4.5 which Universal Boot sequences don't understand.

> Do I need a different !Boot, or a different setup. Is it going to be
> easier to make it boot from Windows machine or from a RiscPC? What is
> the most I would be able to achieve without spending lots of money on
> server software?

One option would be to hack the boot sequence you have to convince it that
it's running RISC OS 3.6.  Try adding:
*Set Boot$OSVersion 360
after the line
/<Boot$Dir>.Utils.BootVars
in !NFSBoot.!Run

> Even if I can get the !nfsboot working, how would I make it run this
> when the machine starts up?

Is your boot sequence called !NFSBoot?  AFAIR it just boots directly off it
(you /might/ have to *Configure Boot, but I doubt it).  My bootp server has
this in its bootptab:

india:  tc=.subnet115:ha=00.00.A4.11.46.06:bf=/nc

which tells the nc (india) to boot off NFS volume /nc.  My NC is NCOS 0.1,
so maybe slightly different as it doesn't do Alt-Alt configuration, but you
should be able to set up the boot volume somewhere.

You can do most things an A7000 can, with some hassle of loading modules
that the NC doesn't have.  Mine ran for a time as a VNC client: I can send
you my whole directory of stuff that I used when playing with this (it's
23MB as there's lots of junk).

Theo

--
Theo Markettos                 theo@markettos.org.uk
Clare Hall, Cambridge          atm26@cam.ac.uk
<theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>Matthew Pye <me@mjpye.net> wrote:
<snip>
>That sounds like it's booting off NFS fine: just NCOS claims it's RISC OS
>4.5 which Universal Boot sequences don't understand.
>
>> Do I need a different !Boot, or a different setup. Is it going to be
>> easier to make it boot from Windows machine or from a RiscPC? What is
>> the most I would be able to achieve without spending lots of money on
>> server software?
>
>One option would be to hack the boot sequence you have to convince it that
>it's running RISC OS 3.6.  Try adding:
>*Set Boot$OSVersion 360
>after the line
>/<Boot$Dir>.Utils.BootVars
>in !NFSBoot.!Run

OK, now I get to a screen with the VProtect version details at the
bottom and an error box which says "File 'Filer_Boot' not found",
after cancelling this a few times I get a grey screen with nothing
else on it.

>> Even if I can get the !nfsboot working, how would I make it run this
>> when the machine starts up?
>
>Is your boot sequence called !NFSBoot?  AFAIR it just boots directly off it
>(you /might/ have to *Configure Boot, but I doubt it).

When I switch it on, it tries to connect to a share using LanMan, if I
set the boot mount on the ALT screen to be \\server\share it does
connect to that share, but that doesn't appear to support long file
names or file types. Changing the boot mount to /nc causes LanMan to
fail to connect, but does enable NFSBOOT to connect to the nfs export
and run the !NFSBoot app.

In *status I can see that Boot is already set, and FileSystem is
Resources (I don't appear to be able to change this anyway).

Any suggestion as what to do next?

Thanks,

Matthew.

0
Matthew
12/26/2004 2:19:09 PM
On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 14:19:09 +0000, Matthew Pye <me@mjpye.net> wrote:

<snip>
>OK, now I get to a screen with the VProtect version details at the
>bottom and an error box which says "File 'Filer_Boot' not found",
>after cancelling this a few times I get a grey screen with nothing
>else on it.

Following some other advice, I've used !Zap to extract the modules:
Filer
FilerSWIs
ResourceFi

They are now in a directory called Modules
In a directory called Resources I've copied Filer, FilerAct and
ResFiler from Resources.

All this has come from RISC OS 4.02.

I've then created a !NFSBoot obey file, as below:
Set Boot$Dir <Obey$Dir>
Set Boot$Path <Boot$Dir>.
RMLoad <boot$dir>.Modules.FilerSWIs
RMLoad <boot$dir>.Modules.Filer
Set Filer$Path <boot$dir>.Resources.Filer.
RMLoad <boot$dir>.Modules.ResourceFi
Set ResFiler$Path <boot$dir>.Resources.ResFiler.
Desktop

When this runs, I get a grey screen with an error: Sprite doesn't
exist.

I'm now lost again, which sprite might this be refering too?

Cheers,

Matthew.

0
Matthew
12/27/2004 5:17:30 PM
On 27 Dec 2004 Matthew Pye <me@mjpye.net> wrote:
> Following some other advice, I've used !Zap to extract the modules:
> Filer
> FilerSWIs
> ResourceFi
>

> I've then created a !NFSBoot obey file, as below:
> Set Boot$Dir <Obey$Dir>
> Set Boot$Path <Boot$Dir>.
> RMLoad <boot$dir>.Modules.FilerSWIs
> RMLoad <boot$dir>.Modules.Filer
> Set Filer$Path <boot$dir>.Resources.Filer.
> RMLoad <boot$dir>.Modules.ResourceFi
> Set ResFiler$Path <boot$dir>.Resources.ResFiler.
> Desktop
>
> When this runs, I get a grey screen with an error: Sprite doesn't
> exist.
>
> I'm now lost again, which sprite might this be refering too?

Make sure the modules are loading in the order they appear in the ROM.
I suspect ResFiler needs to be before most of the others.

---druck

druck
12/27/2004 6:43:47 PM
druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:
> On 27 Dec 2004 Matthew Pye <me@mjpye.net> wrote:
>> When this runs, I get a grey screen with an error: Sprite doesn't
>> exist.
>>
> Make sure the modules are loading in the order they appear in the ROM.
> I suspect ResFiler needs to be before most of the others.

It's possible it's trying to run some of the built in applications (NCFresco
etc) and failing.  So also try RMKilling particular modules that might be
trying to run.  First try pressing Alt-Break and it may produce a window
saying 'Do you want to exit task 'Haddock'?'.  You can click Yes to attempt
to carry on.  A *RMKill Haddock in the boot sequence in this case will stop
this running in future.  *Modules gives you the list of modules currently
running.

Hope this helps,
Theo