ADFS floppy disc maps

Following various problems with reading E format disc images using some
software I've written, I've reluctantly come to the conclusion that I
need to find good advice and/or decent documentation on ADFS disc maps.

In particular, I'd like to know:

 - What restrictions there are on file numbers in the map? I'd assume
   a maximum value of 0x7fff but can they really get that high? Are any
   values forbidden?

 - How does ADFS search the map for files with a given number? If it's done
   sequentially then how does it deal with spurious non-zero values outside
   file and free space allocations?

Are there any publicly available documents that cover these issues?

David
--
http://www.boddie.org.uk/david/Projects/
0

On 18 Jul 2003 David Boddie <davidb@mcs.st-and.ac.uk> wrote:

> Following various problems with reading E format disc images using some
> software I've written, I've reluctantly come to the conclusion that I
> need to find good advice and/or decent documentation on ADFS disc maps.
>
> In particular, I'd like to know:
>
>  - What restrictions there are on file numbers in the map? I'd assume
>    a maximum value of 0x7fff but can they really get that high? Are any
>    values forbidden?

The maximum file number is determined by the IDLen. 0,1 & 2 are reserved
values and the maximum is (2^IDLen)-1 IDLen has a maximum 15 for E format
hence 0x7fff, but can be up to 19 on RISC OS 4 format.

>  - How does ADFS search the map for files with a given number? If it's done
>    sequentially then how does it deal with spurious non-zero values outside
>    file and free space allocations?

The search starts at the natural zone of map for the ID number.

Start Zone   = ID / IDs_per_zone.

IDs_per_zone = (sector_size*8 - zone_spare) / (IDLen+1)

The first fragment is always the first ID in the start zone, fragments may
occur later in the zone or or in subsequent zones. The search wraps around
at after the last zone and continues up to the start zone.

> Are there any publicly available documents that cover these issues?

The FileCore section in the PRM's, large paracetamol recommended.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
7/18/2003 11:05:45 PM
druck wrote:

> On 18 Jul 2003 David Boddie <davidb@mcs.st-and.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>>  - What restrictions there are on file numbers in the map? I'd assume
>>    a maximum value of 0x7fff but can they really get that high? Are any
>>    values forbidden?
>
> The maximum file number is determined by the IDLen. 0,1 & 2 are reserved
> values and the maximum is (2^IDLen)-1 IDLen has a maximum 15 for E format
> hence 0x7fff, but can be up to 19 on RISC OS 4 format.

I knew about 0, 1 and 2, but was wondering about values like 0x80 or things
like 0xXY00, where 0 < XY < 0x80.

>>  - How does ADFS search the map for files with a given number? If it's
>>  done
>>    sequentially then how does it deal with spurious non-zero values
>>    outside file and free space allocations?
>
> The search starts at the natural zone of map for the ID number.
>
> Start Zone   = ID / IDs_per_zone.
>
> IDs_per_zone = (sector_size*8 - zone_spare) / (IDLen+1)

OK, so the usual places for standard floppy formats. Non-standard formats
can wait.

> The first fragment is always the first ID in the start zone, fragments may
> occur later in the zone or or in subsequent zones. The search wraps around
> at after the last zone and continues up to the start zone.

Great, but I find things like this (apologies for the formatting):

             1  2     3     4
000c:6b20 00 80 2c 80 2d 80 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
000c:6b30 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 80 00 00 00 00
                                           5

(1) Ending of a fragment; (2), (3) fragments; (4) start of some
free space (found from the previous free fragment's offset);
(5) end of the free space fragment?

[Lots of zero bytes]

          6     7     8
000c:6c00 38 00 80 00 9c 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
000c:6c10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

(6) Presumably another fragment; (7) end of that fragment; (8) another
fragment.

How am I supposed to negotiate 5 to get to 6?

In another case, we see a different problem:

000c:7320 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 80 3b 03 00 00 00 80 6e 03
000c:7330 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 80 00 00 00 00

Note the 0x80 byte at 0xc733b which ends the fragment with file number
0x36e.

[Zero bytes]

000c:73f0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
000c:7400 8a 58 95 ec d4 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
000c:7410 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Now, I know that there should be a fragment with file number 0x4d4 and,
presumably, all the stuff at 0xc7400 is just "old" map information.
So, what is supposed to happen in this situation?

>> Are there any publicly available documents that cover these issues?
>
> The FileCore section in the PRM's, large paracetamol recommended.

I was afraid you might say something like that.

--
http://www.boddie.org.uk/david/Projects/
0
davidb (63)
7/18/2003 11:31:10 PM
Hi John,

> What might also help is downloading my app DiscInfo, from
>
> http://web.inter.nl.net/users/J.Kortink/home/software/discinfo/index.htm

On a related note, what's the right way to determine if an 800KB floppy
is D or E format, i.e. old or new map?  I've seen code that assumes old
map is `Hugo' is at offset 0x401, else new map if `Nick' is at 0x801,
but I'm sure that's wrong having seen somewhere that Nick can be used at
0x401.

Cheers,

--
Ralph Corderoy.      http://inputplus.co.uk/ralph/     http://troff.org/
0
Corderoy) wrote:

>Hi John,
>
>> What might also help is downloading my app DiscInfo, from
>>
>> http://web.inter.nl.net/users/J.Kortink/home/software/discinfo/index.htm
>
>On a related note, what's the right way to determine if an 800KB floppy
>is D or E format, i.e. old or new map?

Whether it's 'old' or 'new' can be determined by looking at the
disc record. Most of the 'new' map parameters are zero for old
map discs (simply because they were 'reserved' back then). See
PRM's page 2-202.

John Kortink

--

Email    : kortink@inter.nl.net
Homepage : http://www.inter.nl.net/users/J.Kortink

ViewFinder, the high performance graphics card for RISC PC's :
visit http://www.windfall.nl for more details and pricing.

0
kortink (350)
7/19/2003 1:25:10 PM
John Kortink wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 23:31:10 +0000 (UTC), David Boddie
> <davidb@mcs.st-and.ac.uk> wrote:

> There are no other 'special' IDs. IDs beyond 2 are object
> fragments. All will be revealed once you know how to
> traverse the map correctly (you're not doing that yet).

I'm still learning.

> No, every zone (and there's one starting here, a new zone
> starts at every sector offset) starts with a header of 4
> bytes (followed by a copy of the disc record (the main
> copy is at 0xC00 on the disc), for zone 0 only).

Right. It looks like I haven't been paying enough attention to one of
the documents I have. I was clearly ignoring the details about zones,
confusing them with something else and assuming that there was only one.

> In this case :
>
> (6) is the check byte for the zone (see PRM's 2-201).
> (7) is the offset, in bits, of the first free space fragment
> in this zone, counting from bit 8 of the zone; in this case
> the offset is 0 which means there's no free space to be found
> in this zone. Every free space block 'chains' to the next in
> the zone in the same way (which is why the '1' bit at (7) is
> there, although it's really redundant at that point).

Thanks for this information. The zone headers were really the main
missing ingredient which I had overlooked.

> The allocation bits start at bit 32 of the zone (i.e. at (8)),
> i.e. in this case we have the start (or continuation) of object
> 0x19c right there, with its end not in sight as yet.

Yes. It's interesting to note how easy it is for a human to read the map.

> What might also help is downloading my app DiscInfo, from
>
> http://web.inter.nl.net/users/J.Kortink/home/software/discinfo/index.htm

I'll have to take a look at this.

> Build a log file with it for the disc whose map is to be examined.
> Then you'll have a list of the locations and IDs of all the object
> and free space fragments, which will be useful as a guide.

Thanks for the tip and all the other advice.

David
--
http://www.boddie.org.uk/david/Projects/
0
davidb (63)
7/19/2003 5:20:38 PM
In message <bf9qn0$2k4$1@hercules.btinternet.com>
          David Boddie <davidb@mcs.st-and.ac.uk> wrote:

> Following various problems with reading E format disc images using some
> software I've written, I've reluctantly come to the conclusion that I
> need to find good advice and/or decent documentation on ADFS disc maps.
>
> In particular, I'd like to know:
>
>  - What restrictions there are on file numbers in the map? I'd assume
>    a maximum value of 0x7fff but can they really get that high?

Yes.

My E+ formatted HD contains over 60k [1] objects, which wouldn't be possible
on earlier formats.

[1] Scary...

Dave
0
davehigton (2157)
7/19/2003 8:29:41 PM
On 19 Jul 2003 John Kortink <kortink@inter.nl.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 13:15:41 GMT, ralph@inputplus.co.uk (Ralph Corderoy)
> wrote:
>
>> Hi John,
>>
>>> What might also help is downloading my app DiscInfo, from
>>>
>>> http://web.inter.nl.net/users/J.Kortink/home/software/discinfo/index.htm
>>
>> On a related note, what's the right way to determine if an 800KB floppy is
>> D or E format, i.e. old or new map?
>
> Whether it's 'old' or 'new' can be determined by looking at the
> disc record. Most of the 'new' map parameters are zero for old
> map discs (simply because they were 'reserved' back then). See
> PRM's page 2-202.

Bear in mimd that 800K discs dont have a boot block, and consist of a single
zone, so the map starts at the beginning of the disc and the disc record is
contained in the first sector.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
7/19/2003 9:08:19 PM
Dave Higton wrote:

> My E+ formatted HD contains over 60k [1] objects, which wouldn't be
> possible on earlier formats.
>
> [1] Scary...

It would be even more scary if you had anything approaching that number
of objects on a floppy disc!

--
http://www.boddie.org.uk/david/Projects/
0
davidb (63)
7/19/2003 9:22:52 PM
Hi John,

> > On a related note, what's the right way to determine if an 800KB
> > floppy is D or E format, i.e. old or new map?
>
> Whether it's 'old' or 'new' can be determined by looking at the disc
> record. Most of the 'new' map parameters are zero for old map discs
> (simply because they were 'reserved' back then). See PRM's page 2-202.

I see the disc record layout on 2-204, and have flicked back and forth
around that area.  Do D format floppies have a disc record stored on
them?  I see a new map has a disc record in its map block for zone 0 but
can't spot anything for old maps.

ADFS can't be asked for a disc record because I've a disc image under
another OS, not RO.  So I'm after the same decision making process ADFS
uses in determining whether an 800KB floppy is D or E format.

Sorry if I should have worked it out by now, but I don't see it.

Cheers,

--
Ralph Corderoy.      http://inputplus.co.uk/ralph/     http://troff.org/
0
ralph6281 (150)
7/19/2003 10:27:29 PM
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 22:27:29 GMT, ralph@inputplus.co.uk (Ralph
Corderoy) wrote:

>[...]
>
>I see the disc record layout on 2-204, and have flicked back and forth
>around that area.  Do D format floppies have a disc record stored on
>them?  I see a new map has a disc record in its map block for zone 0 but
>can't spot anything for old maps.
>
>ADFS can't be asked for a disc record because I've a disc image under
>another OS, not RO.  So I'm after the same decision making process ADFS
>uses in determining whether an 800KB floppy is D or E format.

I don't know for sure, but I suppose ADFS recognizes old
map discs by the absence of a disc record in what should
have been zone 0 (the first sector). Easy to recognize,
since disc records for E, E+ and F are basically fixed.

John Kortink

--

Email    : kortink@inter.nl.net
Homepage : http://www.inter.nl.net/users/J.Kortink

ViewFinder, the high performance graphics card for RISC PC's :
visit http://www.windfall.nl for more details and pricing.

0
kortink (350)
7/20/2003 12:24:24 AM
On 20 Jul 2003 ralph@inputplus.co.uk (Ralph Corderoy) wrote:
> I see that E format floppies have a disc record at the normal place in
> zone 0, i.e. starting at byte 4 on the disc.

This isn't the normal place, E floppy discs are very much an exception to the
format. The standard format used for F floppies and harddiscs is to have a
boot record at sector 6, multiple zones and the map in the middle zone.

> But where's the disc record for D format stored?

There isn't one on a floppy. The 512 byte map starts at location zero, and
the root dircectory at &400.

If you are doing anything with disc formats I'd recommend only dealing with
E/F/+ and not bothering with D or anything before, as the format is
completely different, albeit slightly less complex.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
7/20/2003 6:40:57 PM
Hi druck,

> > I see that E format floppies have a disc record at the normal place
> > in zone 0, i.e. starting at byte 4 on the disc.
>
> This isn't the normal place

For an E format floppy it is.  :-)

> E floppy discs are very much an exception to the format.

But my question is only about 800K floppies that are either D or E
format.

> The standard format used for F floppies and harddiscs is to have a
> boot record at sector 6, multiple zones and the map in the middle
> zone.

That's interesting, and I was aware of it after John's pointer, but
happily discarded it.

> > But where's the disc record for D format stored?
>
> There isn't one on a floppy. The 512 byte map starts at location zero,
> and the root dircectory at &400.

That's what I suggested to John;  that only E format stores a disc
record on the floppy, not D.  Perhaps our posts crossed along with our
wires.  :-)

> If you are doing anything with disc formats I'd recommend only dealing
> with E/F/+ and not bothering with D or anything before, as the format
> is completely different, albeit slightly less complex.

That's not an option.  I dislike forcing people to make their existing
useful kit redundant for little reason.  That's a Microsoft habit.  And
in this particular case, the whole raison d'etre is to read floppy disc
images from the past, i.e. S, M, L, D, and E format.

Unless someone who knows from peeking at ADFS can tell us the test it
uses, please, can anyone find fault with

    if disc image length is 800KB:
        if offset 0x401 is `Hugo' or `Nick':
            D format
        else if offset 0x801 is `Nick':
            E format
        else
            unknown format

Cheers,

--
Ralph Corderoy.      http://inputplus.co.uk/ralph/     http://troff.org/
0
ralph6281 (150)

Programmers, Programmers, Programmers, ...
As Steve Balmer correctly stated, while making his monkey dance, it is applications and hence programmers that make a platform. The fact though is that if you want to do professional programming, then Linux is the platform for you. I know that this statement will get the heckels up on a lot of trolls in C.O.L.A, but I have a recent experience that proves this. I am currently working for a Windows only house producing a system that receives and transmits around 1000 telegrams per second in each direction on a UDP socket, translates them into a different format and creates a log entry for each ...

maps maps maps????
Argh!!!! What happened to transparency maps, reflection maps blah blah blah????? (I'm talking about viz renderer / autocad2004 adt). If you can't use transparency maps, then HTF do you create mesh objects (like a grill, railing, mesh with holes)? or even trees? Or 2D people? Billboard and stuff like that? Use the Cutout map under Special Effects. --- stefkeB --- "Henry" <abshhkc@bath.ac.uk> wrote in message news:Xns942BB07D85A90abshhkcbathacuk@138.38.32.81... > Argh!!!! What happened to transparency maps, reflection maps blah blah > blah????? (I'm talking about viz renderer / autocad2004 adt). > > If you can't use transparency maps, then HTF do you create mesh objects > (like a grill, railing, mesh with holes)? or even trees? Or 2D people? > Billboard and stuff like that? > "stefkeB" <stefkeB@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1068214235.60416 @seven.kulnet.kuleuven.ac.be: > Use the Cutout map under Special Effects. > > --- stefkeB --- > > "Henry" <abshhkc@bath.ac.uk> wrote in message > news:Xns942BB07D85A90abshhkcbathacuk@138.38.32.81... >> Argh!!!! What happened to transparency maps, reflection maps blah blah >> blah????? (I'm talking about viz renderer / autocad2004 adt). >> >> If you can't use transparency maps, then HTF do you create mesh objects >> (like a grill, railing, mesh with holes)?...

map that maps to iterators in the same map ?
Hi, I wonder if it's possible to implement something like typedef map<string, T::iterator> T; i.e. to have a map that will resolve keys to iterators in the map of the same type. In my situation, I'll have only one such map and can guarantee that all iterators will remain valid (I'll only add stuff). Do such recursive constructions known to cause problems? I can use pointers instead of iterators, but it will be much uglier. Thanks, Vladimir ...

map of map.
Hi All, I want to create a map of key and another map object (it is another map of key value pairs). I have declared it as map<int, map<short, short>> mpObj; it gives me an error that, "error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of =91map=92 with no type". Does this mean I can not create a map of a map the object? Have I done something wrong? Any pointers to any tutorial? Atul. aTuL ha scritto: > I want to create a map of key and another map object (it is another > map of key value pairs). I have declared it as > map<int, map<short, short>> mpObj; You have to write it like this: map<int, map<short, short> > mpObj; Note that the next version of C++ will fix this problem. -- Christian Hackl aTuL ha scritto: > I want to create a map of key and another map object (it is another > map of key value pairs). I have declared it as > map<int, map<short, short>> mpObj; it gives me an error that, "error: > ISO C++ forbids declaration of �map� with no type". Does this mean I > can not create a map of a map the object? Have I done something wrong? > Any pointers to any tutorial? On second thought, the >> is probably not the cause of this particular error. Have you included <map> and is there a using std::map somewhere? Here's a minimal example that compiles fine: #include <map> int main() { std::map<int, std::map<short, short> > mpObj; } -- Christi...

STL: Map of maps possible, but no multi-map of maps? Workarounds?
It's possible to do this: map<double, map <string, int> > foo; but not this or any other nested variant using multimap: multimap<double, map <string, int> > foo; Any known (or unknown) workarounds? Thanks Marcus Marcus wrote: > It's possible to do this: > > map<double, map <string, int> > foo; > > but not this or any other nested variant using multimap: > > multimap<double, map <string, int> > foo; Works with comeau online 4.3.3, also with g++ 3.4.2 hmmm... you're right, i must have a bug somewhere. gl...

PC floppy discs
Can a PC formatted floppy disc be read ok on a risc pc and vice versa? Thanks, James On 15 Mar 2007 "James S" <james@spamtrap.jcom> wrote: > Can a PC formatted floppy disc be read ok on a risc pc and vice versa? Yes. ---druck -- The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/ The 32bit Conversions Page - http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/ In article <45f88d88$0$8736$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>, James S <james@spamtrap.jcom> wrote: > Can a PC formatted floppy disc be read ok on a risc pc and vice versa? If you look at the menu of the floppy player you'll see it can format DOS discs so can read them. A PC can too. -- *I'm planning to be spontaneous tomorrow * Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound. In message <4ec3b2da31dave@davenoise.co.uk> "Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote: > In article <45f88d88$0$8736$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>, > James S <james@spamtrap.jcom> wrote: >> Can a PC formatted floppy disc be read ok on a risc pc and vice versa? > > If you look at the menu of the floppy player you'll see it can format DOS > discs so can read them. A PC can too. > However, a Windows PC can't read RISC OS format floppies, and tends to get very upset when they're put in. So in summary: |RISC OS Format |...

Some Acorn user discs
Hello, I have a stack of Acorn User discs sitting in my room (about 75) which need shifting. Out of curiosity, are they worth anything to anyone out there? I haven't decided what to do with them yet, but if no one in my immediate circle can find a use for them, perhaps someone else might offer something for them. W.Simpson In article <JMjXc.415$Ch2.349@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>, W.Simpson <simpsons.dot.box@ntlworld.dot.com> wrote: > Hello, > I have a stack of Acorn User discs sitting in my room (about 75) which > need shifting. Out of curiosity, are they worth an...

Floppy Discs Being Destroyed?
Hello, All. Yesterday I encountered a problem with a computer at work. It runs MS-DOS 6.2 . I tried to copy files to various 3.5 floppy discs but kept getting errors. The discs would not read and would not allow reformating. I kept getting "Invalid Media or Track `0' Bad" messages. I ran a virus scanner with signature files only three days old and everything appears to be OK. My DR-DOS laptop could not read the discs either, but it could reformat them. I can take the reformatted discs and copy files to & from them via DR-DOS but if I "FORMAT...

Creating ADF on acorn
Hi Is there a program I can use on a real acorn that makes adf files for use in a acorn emulator on a PC. I've got Impression Style coming in a few days after an auction on ebay and want to install it on the PC. Can remember that there was some protection built in stopping you from installing onto a Acorn and just copying the necessary directory over. Thanks. Rich --- avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean. Virus Database (VPS): 0635-4, 01/09/2006 Tested on: 02/09/2006 11:18:24 avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2006 ALWIL Software. http://www.avast.com On 2 Sep 2006, Rich <richdo...

Emotions on floppy disc
Dear Group, does anyone have a copy of Emotions on floppy disc that they'd sell me? My Acorn (RiscPC600) doesn't have CD, so I can't use the modern version. I used to have it, but it wouldn't load. I was sent a patch and played until the levels got juddery (lack of memory?). Later I took the game off, but couldn't put it back. And then I lost it. Brilliant game, please help. Andrew In message <1149078530.312342.297090@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com> "andrew" <andrew@robinson9000.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: > Dear Group, ...

How to render vertex map, normal map and color map
Hello everyone! I'm trying to achieve 3D reconstruction using MS Kinect sensor. I've already got the Vertex Map, Normal Map and Color Map from raw depth map and RGB image. Now I'm wondering how to render these maps(vertex map, normal map and color map) using opengl. Looking forward to your help! Thanks in advance. On Friday, 11 May 2012 05:20:18 UTC+2, Yuan Gao wrote: > Hello everyone! > I'm trying to achieve 3D reconstruction using MS Kinect sensor. > I've already got the Vertex Map, Normal Map and Color Map from raw > depth map and RGB image. > Now I'...

Floppy controller I/O mapping
Hi, one question. The floppy controller must (or suggested to) be mapped to a specific I/O address for cp/m compatibility? thanks. Il 01/02/2011 0:09, Telespalla Bob ha scritto: > Hi, one question. > The floppy controller must (or suggested to) be mapped to a specific I/O > address for cp/m compatibility? > > thanks. in details, I would want to interface the uPD765 with Z80 thanks again. In <4d474125$0$19267$4fafbaef@reader2.news.tin.it> Telespalla Bob <leditapaolo.75@dalnasoalice.it> writes: > The floppy controller must (or suggested to) be mapped to a ...

Help, Map of map

ADF Images and RAM discs
Hi - I'm looking for a way to write an ADF image into the RAM disk of my Amiga 500 (with a 1MB trapdoor expansion) using serial transfer from my PC. The ADF image is 901,120 bytes in size I believe, so it's easy to overload the RAM disk. I want to get the image there in one piece, although I know it's possible to write half of an ADF image, write to the first 40 tracks of the Amiga floppy, then send the other half of the ADF and write the final tracks. This is very cumbersome so I'm trying to find a better way. Is it possible to send an entire ADF to an Amiga ...

ADFS, IDE and Hard Discs...
Hi, As I understood, fixed drives using IDE were in effect factory sectored? If so how does Filecore/ADFS see them, as IDEFS doesn't seem to be documented in the PRM. I know I can't connect an ST506 type drive into a PC as, the PC wouldn't recognise it? On a reated note I'm assuming that Acorn CD's are at least ISO compatible? Alex usenet@gfarlie.demon.co.uk wrote: > Hi, > As I understood, fixed drives using IDE were in effect factory > sectored? By and large. > If so how does Filecore/ADFS see them, as IDEFS doesn't seem to be > documented > in the PRM. You seem to have problems placing your question marks - this is a question, but the following statement isn't. No, IDEFS (there's more than one of it) is a 3rd party filing system. If by "see them", you mean how does a drive get queried for its size - by raw ATA commands to get standard drive parameters. > I know I can't connect an ST506 type drive into a PC as, the PC > wouldn't recognise it? I agree. Besides, I'm not even sure they use the same cable. > On a reated note I'm assuming that Acorn CD's are at least ISO > compatible? There's no such thing as "Acorn CDs". However, the ISO format does have an extension for RISC OS filetypes, although that isn't used too much. Better to have proper mapping from the filename extension. Peter Naulls wrote: > usenet@gfarlie.demon.co.uk wrote: > >...

Floppy Disc Drive Woes
Hello all, It's been such a long time since I needed my floppy drive that I was surprised it didn't work. Nevermind, I thought, I have a spare one in an old RPC. I tested it and it works in the old machine. So I put the the old floppy drive into my Kinetic Risc PC and it didn't work either. Gives lots of disc errors and is not reliable. In fact, both floppy drives work in the old RPC and neither works in the Kinetic Risc PC! Both computers use RO 4, the Kinetic RO4.03. I even swapped the ribbon cable from the working computer. All advice gratefully accepted. All the best, Art -- Art Robb Luthier Lutes & Guitars, Plans, Repairs & Restorations Email art@art-robb.co.uk Website www.art-robb.co.uk On 5 Dec 2006 Art Robb <art@art-robb.co.uk> wrote: > It's been such a long time since I needed my floppy drive that I was > surprised it didn't work. > > Nevermind, I thought, I have a spare one in an old RPC. I tested it > and it works in the old machine. > > So I put the the old floppy drive into my Kinetic Risc PC and it > didn't work either. Gives lots of disc errors and is not reliable. > > In fact, both floppy drives work in the old RPC and neither works in > the Kinetic Risc PC! Both computers use RO 4, the Kinetic RO4.03. Do both drives work in the other RPC? Check the floppy drive power connector, as its a small plug and wires can come lose after many inse...

Reading ADFS floppies on Linux
Has anyone tried reading ADFS floppies on Linux, or more specifically Fedora Core? I've tried mount -t adfs /dev/fd0 /etc/floppy but the adfs file type seems unsupported - even though the docs indicate the type ADFS is supported by mount. Ian. In message <1170953348.259140.87460@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com> dna-7e6g@iximail.com wrote: > Has anyone tried reading ADFS floppies on Linux, or more > specifically Fedora Core? > > I've tried > > mount -t adfs /dev/fd0 /etc/floppy > > but the adfs file type seems unsupported - even though > the docs indicate the type ADFS is supported by mount. > > Ian. > Is the adfs kernel-module existing and loaded? Try "modprobe adfs" and then see if it works. -- Ask me about GPG-Key. (As in: "Ask me about Loom", LucasArts�) dna-7e6g@iximail.com wrote: > Has anyone tried reading ADFS floppies on Linux, or more > specifically Fedora Core? Not recently, but there are two problems here. One is reading the data off the floppy, and the other is understanding the FileCore (ADFS) filesystem. The latter is supported by the 'adfs' module (and also someone posted here recently about a FUSE filesystem that can understand ADFS images). The first is a problem because lots of hardware is expecting DOS sector numbering (512 byte sectors, numbered starting from 1) whereas ADFS sectors are 1024 bytes starting from 0. I think Linux should be capable...

RISCOS/Acorn Eprom programmer
Hi, Does anyone know where I can get an EPROM programmer for a RISCOS 3.11 A5000? Must blow up to 256Kbit bog standard ST EPROMs. Cheers all, - Chris. In message <3fdd0a07$0$10357$fa0fcedb@lovejoy.zen.co.uk> "Chris Smith" <chris@FARPinfinitemonkeys.org.uk> wrote: > Hi, > > Does anyone know where I can get an EPROM programmer for a RISCOS 3.11 > A5000? Must blow up to 256Kbit bog standard ST EPROMs. Did you try IFEL's web site ? I think they were selling one not so long ago <http://users.argonet.co.uk/ifel> (or there abouts) -- J�r�me Mathevet On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 01:10:31 -0000, "Chris Smith" <chris@FARPinfinitemonkeys.org.uk> wrote: >Hi, > >Does anyone know where I can get an EPROM programmer for a RISCOS 3.11 >A5000? Must blow up to 256Kbit bog standard ST EPROMs. What'd you be willing to pay ? John Kortink -- Email : kortink@inter.nl.net Homepage : http://www.inter.nl.net/users/J.Kortink ViewFinder, the high performance graphics card for RISC PC's : visit http://www.windfall.nl for more details and pricing. ...

Disc Map loading on Adjust
Hi Guys in adjust with large discs (say 40 gig), the first disc access causes the map? to be loaded in. this is a lengthy procedure.. any way of getting it to not do this? I am ok with lengthy lookups as I am only loading a file every 3 minuets, and I am not searching for it (provided in a play list) basically I want startup times to be as quick as possible.. I do know that getting a smaller disc / formatting it smaller will speed it up but I need the space. I am assuming its a CMOS setting? Cheers! In article <uy8Qh.566$r4.18@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>, Michael Emerton <MichaelREmerton@_deleteme_hotmail.com> wrote: > I am ok with lengthy lookups as I am only loading a file every 3 > minuets I thought you were making a car player, not equipping a ballroom! John -- John Williams, Wirral, Merseyside, UK - no attachments to these addresses! Non-RISC OS posters change user to johnrwilliams or put 'risc' in subject for reliable contact! Who is John Williams? http://www.picindex.info/author/ On 2-Apr-2007, Michael Emerton <MichaelREmerton@_deleteme_hotmail.com> wrote: > Hi Guys > > in adjust with large discs (say 40 gig), the first disc access causes > the map? to be loaded in. > > this is a lengthy procedure.. > any way of getting it to not do this? No, because it must load the map as it mounts the disc, so if you want it to mount the disc.... However, I suspect you used the default (smallest) LFAU offered ...

map within map
Is there any problem in using of map as declared below? map<int, map<int, float>> test; Cleber [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ] [ comp.lang.c++.moderated. First time posters: Do this! ] Cleber wrote: > Is there any problem in using of map as declared below? > > map<int, map<int, float>> test; Yes, the syntax is wrong as the '>>' is interpreted as shift operator - use '> >' instead. Further, you need the std:: of course and the header <map>. Uli [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ] [ comp.lang.c++.moderated. First time posters: Do this! ] Cleber wrote: > Is there any problem in using of map as declared below? > > map<int, map<int, float>> test; There is a problem: The missing space between the two trailing > characters (which is otherwise interpreted as >>). So correct way is map<int, map<int, float> > test; Greetings from Bremen, Daniel Kr�gler [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ] [ comp.lang.c++.moderated. First time posters: Do this! ] ----- Original Message ----- From: "Cleber" <cleberc@gmail.com> Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++.moderated To: <Usenet> Sent: Friday, August 26, 2005 3:11 PM Subject: map within map > Is there any problem in using of map as declared below? > > map<int, map<int, float...

How to implement a map of maps?
Hi! I am trying to implement a map of maps like this: typedef map<string, map<string, string> > stringMap; stringMap myMap; This does not work and I get the following compiler error: --- /usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/3.4.6/../../../../include/c++/3.4.6/ bits/stl_pair.h: In constructor `std::pair<_T1, _T2>::pair(const std::pair<_U1, _U2>&) [with _U1 = char*, _U2 = char*, _T1 = const std::string, _T2 = std::map<std::string, std::string, std::less<std::string>, std::allocator<std::pair<const std::string, std::string> > >]': src/png.cpp...

[SOT] Map, map, who's got the right map?
This from the "GUI gone weird" department. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/7493757.stm is an interactive BBC map for the olympic venue which will show up later this or early next month. The behavior upon grabbing and moving the map with the mouse is particularly interesting, and not exactly correct. In Google Maps, the grab function is pretty much as one might expect; one grabs, moves the mouse cursor, and the map moves, keeping the point grabbed underneath the cursor, as far as it can. Very reasonable behavior. Not so in the above map; I'm not even sure I can char...

Cumana Floppy Disc Drive Fault
hi, I have a twin, double sided 40/80 track Cumana Disc drive on my Master which has been in happy use for years. Drive 0 now refuses to format, verify or *mount (in ADFS) The floppy discs check out ok as they can still be read and written in Drive 1. Are these drive still serviceable by anyone? Or are there common problems that I may be able to have a look at myself? Any ideas? Cheers Tim In article <bvmr2c$d9d$1@titan.btinternet.com>, Tim Vickerstaff <URL:mailto:Tim.J.Vickerstaff@.MISSING-HOST-NAME.> wrote: > hi, > > I have a twin, double sided 40/80 track Cumana Disc drive on my Master which > has been in happy use for years. Drive 0 now refuses to format, verify or > *mount (in ADFS) > > The floppy discs check out ok as they can still be read and written in Drive > 1. > > Are these drive still serviceable by anyone? Or are there common problems > that I may be able to have a look at myself? We can repair or replace most BBC B/Master items including disc drives. The cheapest option would be picking some up at a car boot sale, but they only appear the week after you've made an alternative arrangement:-) Chris Evans -- CJE Micro's / NCS / Fourth Dimension 'RISC OS Specialists' Telephone: (01903) 523222 Fax: (01903) 523679 chris@cjemicros.co.uk http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/ 78 Brighton Road, Worthing, West Sussex, BN11 2EN, UK. ...

1.6mb adfs disc images
this may well be in the wrong group, but I cant think of anywhere better to put it... Apologies if its in the wrong place. Does anyone know where I could download a 1.6 mb HD Floppy Disc Image for use with an emulator like Virtual Acorn or Red Squirril? I know I can get software to create a disc image, but since I dont have a disc formatted in ADFS, and I have no way of getting one at the moment, I was hoping I could download an image. Many thanks Jon On 21 Jan 2006 "Jon Dallimore" <dallimoj@coventry.ac.uk> wrote: > this may well be in the wrong group, but I cant think of anywhere > better to put it... Apologies if its in the wrong place. > > Does anyone know where I could download a 1.6 mb HD Floppy Disc Image > for use with an emulator like Virtual Acorn or Red Squirril? > > I know I can get software to create a disc image, but since I dont have > a disc formatted in ADFS, and I have no way of getting one at the > moment, I was hoping I could download an image. A disc image is a file containing the contents of a particular floppy disc. As you neither have a disc, or mention what you want on it, I don't see how we can help. ---druck -- The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/ The 32bit Conversions Page - http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/ > On 21 Jan 2006 "Jon Dallimore" <dallimoj@coventry.ac.uk> wrote: > > Does anyone know where I could download a 1.6 mb HD Floppy Disc Im...

Web resources about - ADFS floppy disc maps - comp.sys.acorn.programmer

Floppy disk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A floppy disk , or diskette , is a disk storage medium composed of a disk of thin and flexible magnetic storage medium, sealed in a rectangular ...

Floppy Polar Penguin Birdie Dash on the App Store on iTunes
Get Floppy Polar Penguin Birdie Dash on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

USB Floppy - a set on Flickr
... itself was stuffed into something the size of a stack of business cards, and my thought was to try and cram those same innards into a floppy ...

Doctor Who Theme on eight floppy drives - YouTube
Support me on Patreon! - http://www.patreon.com/MrSolidSnake745 I've been extremely busy the last month or so. First my computer died on me, ...

Why so many domesticated mammals have floppy ears
Take a look at several domesticated mammal species and you might spot a number of similarities between them, including those cute floppy ears. ...

'He was floppy, like he was dead'
'He was floppy, like he was dead'

George Bailey says yellow wide-brimmed floppy hat will be as iconic as baggy green
George Bailey has declared the canary yellow wide-brimmed floppy hat is here to stay and believes it could even become as iconic as the baggy ...

YouTube - Musical Floppy Drives - Computerphile
Veröffentlicht am 24.05.2013 Floppy disk drives make sweet music, well, tuneful noises anyway. You might have seen them on YouTube before, but ...

$259 Smartphone receipt printer? Can I get a smartphone Floppy Drive too?!
This ‘Little Printer’ thing is making the rounds today (right). It is a cute $259 (plus $30 shipping to US) Cloud printer that prints on a receipt-size ...

Adventures in Floppy Disk Transfers
... you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it? The same might be said for technology. One day I was saving files to floppy ...