ADFS, IDE and Hard Discs...

Hi,
As I understood,  fixed drives using IDE were in effect factory
sectored?

If so how does Filecore/ADFS see them, as IDEFS doesn't seem to be
documented
in the PRM.

I know I can't connect an ST506 type drive into a PC as, the PC
wouldn't recognise it?

On a reated note I'm assuming that Acorn CD's are at least ISO
compatible?

Alex

0
usenet7 (106)
4/26/2006 7:52:10 PM
comp.sys.acorn.programmer 2499 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

usenet@gfarlie.demon.co.uk wrote:
> Hi,
> As I understood,  fixed drives using IDE were in effect factory
> sectored?

By and large.

> If so how does Filecore/ADFS see them, as IDEFS doesn't seem to be
> documented
> in the PRM.

You seem to have problems placing your question marks - this is
a question, but the following statement isn't.  No, IDEFS
(there's more than one of it) is a 3rd party filing system.  If
by "see them", you mean how does a drive get queried for its
size - by raw ATA commands to get standard drive parameters.

> I know I can't connect an ST506 type drive into a PC as, the PC
> wouldn't recognise it?

I agree.  Besides, I'm not even sure they use the same cable.

> On a reated note I'm assuming that Acorn CD's are at least ISO
> compatible?

There's no such thing as "Acorn CDs".  However, the ISO format
does have an extension for RISC OS filetypes, although that
isn't used too much.  Better to have proper mapping from the
filename extension.

0
peter4500 (2516)
4/26/2006 8:17:30 PM
Peter Naulls wrote:
> usenet@gfarlie.demon.co.uk wrote:
> > Hi,
> > As I understood,  fixed drives using IDE were in effect factory
> > sectored?
>
> By and large.
>
> > If so how does Filecore/ADFS see them, as IDEFS doesn't seem to be
> > documented
> > in the PRM.
>
> You seem to have problems placing your question marks - this is
> a question, but the following statement isn't.  No, IDEFS
> (there's more than one of it) is a 3rd party filing system.  If
> by "see them", you mean how does a drive get queried for its
> size - by raw ATA commands to get standard drive parameters.

Thats good.
I was asking in connection with some thoughts about writing a
recogniser
for ADFS in ReactOS(a 'free' NT like OS) (Assuming there IS a
recogniser
in Linux.)

If the sector type isn't a 26K one does ADFS use whats on the disc
or does it do a logical map? I.E Maps biger sectors to smaller logical
blocks?

>From reading the PRM, It would seem ADFS is usally the first partion,
and I'm not aware of it having a partion description code like DOS FAT
types do...

If theres is a 'documented' way of putting ADFS as the non primary
partion and recognising it on ATA drive, I'd like to know :-)

Decoding a bootblock should be straightforward.

Thanks in advance...

> > On a reated note I'm assuming that Acorn CD's are at least ISO
> > compatible?
>
> There's no such thing as "Acorn CDs".  However, the ISO format
> does have an extension for RISC OS filetypes, although that
> isn't used too much.  Better to have proper mapping from the
> filename extension.

IIRC Virtual Acorn implments it?

0
usenet7 (106)
4/26/2006 10:05:43 PM
Peter Naulls wrote:
> usenet@gfarlie.demon.co.uk wrote:
> > Hi,
> > As I understood,  fixed drives using IDE were in effect factory
> > sectored?
>
> By and large.
>
> > If so how does Filecore/ADFS see them, as IDEFS doesn't seem to be
> > documented
> > in the PRM.
>
> You seem to have problems placing your question marks - this is
> a question, but the following statement isn't.  No, IDEFS
> (there's more than one of it) is a 3rd party filing system.  If
> by "see them", you mean how does a drive get queried for its
> size - by raw ATA commands to get standard drive parameters.

Thats good.
I was asking in connection with some thoughts about writing a
recogniser
for ADFS in ReactOS(a 'free' NT like OS) (Assuming there IS a
recogniser
in Linux.)

If the sector type isn't a 26K one does ADFS use whats on the disc
or does it do a logical map? I.E Maps biger sectors to smaller logical
blocks?

>From reading the PRM, It would seem ADFS is usally the first partion,
and I'm not aware of it having a partion description code like DOS FAT
types do...

If theres is a 'documented' way of putting ADFS as the non primary
partion and recognising it on ATA drive, I'd like to know :-)

Decoding a bootblock should be straightforward.

Thanks in advance...

> > On a reated note I'm assuming that Acorn CD's are at least ISO
> > compatible?
>
> There's no such thing as "Acorn CDs".  However, the ISO format
> does have an extension for RISC OS filetypes, although that
> isn't used too much.  Better to have proper mapping from the
> filename extension.

IIRC Virtual Acorn implments it?

0
usenet7 (106)
4/26/2006 10:06:10 PM
usenet@gfarlie.demon.co.uk wrote:

> If theres is a 'documented' way of putting ADFS as the non primary
> partion and recognising it on ATA drive, I'd like to know :-)
>
> Decoding a bootblock should be straightforward.
>
> Thanks in advance...

Recognizing ADFS and other RISC OS partitioning mechanisms is
straightforward, but it's not really what you're expecting,
since it's nothing like FAT partitioning.

I recommend looking at the sources of the acorn-fdisk program
which can be found in Debian.

0
peter4500 (2516)
4/26/2006 10:19:26 PM
usenet@gfarlie.demon.co.uk wrote:

> If theres is a 'documented' way of putting ADFS as the non primary
> partion and recognising it on ATA drive, I'd like to know :-)
>
> Decoding a bootblock should be straightforward.

Partitions aren't done in the same way as they are on a PC, and FWIG
different manufacturers do different things (I've certainly never had to
deal with "primary" and "non-primary" partitions on standard RISC OS
hardware).

There isn't a recommended way to see if it's FileCore - RMFS (and
another FS I've written) reads sector 6, and sees if there is a RISC OS
bootblock at the end of it (offset &1c0, to be precise). If it is, it'll
make it explicitly FileCore; if it isn't, it hands it off to DOSFS.

However, I'd imagine that most fixed disc systems just assume that it's
been formatted correctly (hence why different manufacturers do different
things - users are unlikely to switch HDs between machines).
--
Jason Tribbeck

newsmaster9@tribbeck.com - 20K download limit - anything larger won't
be received.
0
newsmaster9 (144)
4/26/2006 10:23:01 PM
In message <1146089143.540059.145880@t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
usenet@gfarlie.demon.co.uk wrote:

> I was asking in connection with some thoughts about writing a recogniser
> for ADFS in ReactOS(a 'free' NT like OS) (Assuming there IS a recogniser
> in Linux.)

If it helps, there's an existing open source way of accessing ADFS discs.
See this thread for a starting point: http://tinyurl.com/p3ajp

Adam

--
Adam Richardson          Carpe Diem
http://www.snowstone.org.uk/riscos/
Adam wrote:
> In message <1146089143.540059.145880@t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> usenet@gfarlie.demon.co.uk wrote:
>
> > I was asking in connection with some thoughts about writing a recogniser
> > for ADFS in ReactOS(a 'free' NT like OS) (Assuming there IS a recogniser
> > in Linux.)
>
> If it helps, there's an existing open source way of accessing ADFS discs.
> See this thread for a starting point: http://tinyurl.com/p3ajp
>
> Adam
It does, if the sources are available...

0
usenet7 (106)
4/27/2006 9:28:01 AM
Jason Tribbeck wrote:
> usenet@gfarlie.demon.co.uk wrote:
>
> > If theres is a 'documented' way of putting ADFS as the non primary
> > partion and recognising it on ATA drive, I'd like to know :-)
> >
> > Decoding a bootblock should be straightforward.
>
> Partitions aren't done in the same way as they are on a PC, and FWIG
> different manufacturers do different things (I've certainly never had to
> deal with "primary" and "non-primary" partitions on standard RISC OS
> hardware).
>
> There isn't a recommended way to see if it's FileCore - RMFS (and
> another FS I've written) reads sector 6, and sees if there is a RISC OS
> bootblock at the end of it (offset &1c0, to be precise). If it is, it'll
> make it explicitly FileCore; if it isn't, it hands it off to DOSFS.

OK. Is there a 'magic' number that can be searched for?

> However, I'd imagine that most fixed disc systems just assume that it's
> been formatted correctly (hence why different manufacturers do different
> things - users are unlikely to switch HDs between machines).
> --
> Jason Tribbeck

True, and as stated previosuly ATA drives tend to be 'factory' sectored
whihc
for PC usally means 512 byte sectors. I'm assuming ADFS uses a form of
Logical addressing instead of direct CHS logic to find things like the
bootblock
and uses that to build the full params.

0
usenet7 (106)
4/27/2006 9:35:08 AM
In message <1146130081.331213.115100@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>
          usenet@gfarlie.demon.co.uk wrote:

> Adam wrote:
> > In message <1146089143.540059.145880@t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> > usenet@gfarlie.demon.co.uk wrote:
> >
> > > I was asking in connection with some thoughts about writing a recogniser
> > > for ADFS in ReactOS(a 'free' NT like OS) (Assuming there IS a recogniser
> > > in Linux.)
> >
> > If it helps, there's an existing open source way of accessing ADFS discs.
> > See this thread for a starting point: http://tinyurl.com/p3ajp
> >
> > Adam
> It does, if the sources are available...

....well, if you'd made an effort to look, you'd see that this in fact
refers to the Linux kernel support.  I don't think there is a probably
getting sources to that.  But as I said earlier, you are probably better
off looking at acorn-fdisk:

http://packages.debian.org/stable/base/acorn-fdisk

--
Peter Naulls - peter@chocky.org        | http://www.chocky.org/
RISC OS Community Wiki - add your own content   | http://www.riscos.info/
usenet@gfarlie.demon.co.uk wrote:

> OK. Is there a 'magic' number that can be searched for?

No; not really. ISTR it looks at the bootblock to see if it appears sane
(like sector size and so forth).

> True, and as stated previosuly ATA drives tend to be 'factory' sectored
> whihc
> for PC usally means 512 byte sectors. I'm assuming ADFS uses a form of
> Logical addressing instead of direct CHS logic to find things like the
> bootblock
> and uses that to build the full params.

They're always the same sector size - I don't know of any modern hard
drive system that you can change the sector sizes (certainly not SCSI
nor ATA [ST-506 may have that level of control; I've never had to deal
with them]). They're all fixed sizes, and you just tell it which
sector(s) you want to read, and it provides them.

IDEFS uses both LBA and CHS depending on what the drive supports. LBA is
much easier to deal with (it'll try LBA first, and then CHS). I wouldn't
really bother supporting CHS any more - too much hassle.

The bootblock is /always/ located at the end of sector 6. The root
directory information is calculated from values in the bootblock, but
tends to be towards the centre of the logical space.
--
Jason Tribbeck

newsmaster9@tribbeck.com - 20K download limit - anything larger won't
be received.
0
newsmaster9 (144)
4/28/2006 7:00:18 PM
On 28 Apr 2006 Jason Tribbeck <newsmaster9@tribbeck.com> wrote:
> usenet@gfarlie.demon.co.uk wrote:
>
> > OK. Is there a 'magic' number that can be searched for?
>
> No; not really. ISTR it looks at the bootblock to see if it appears sane
> (like sector size and so forth).

The way I do it in DiscKnight, is to read boot block from sector 6 with
contains a disc record. I check if the values contained in it are sensible,
and if so use then calculate the location of the disc map, the first secotor
of which contains another copy of the disc record. If they both match (minus
a couple of fields such as the name which differs), then its pretty likely
you are looking at a FileCore disc.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
4/28/2006 8:13:48 PM
druck wrote:
> On 28 Apr 2006 Jason Tribbeck <newsmaster9@tribbeck.com> wrote:
> > usenet@gfarlie.demon.co.uk wrote:
> >
> > > OK. Is there a 'magic' number that can be searched for?
> >
> > No; not really. ISTR it looks at the bootblock to see if it appears sane
> > (like sector size and so forth).
>
> The way I do it in DiscKnight, is to read boot block from sector 6 with
> contains a disc record. I check if the values contained in it are sensible,
> and if so use then calculate the location of the disc map, the first secotor
> of which contains another copy of the disc record. If they both match (minus
> a couple of fields such as the name which differs), then its pretty likely
> you are looking at a FileCore disc.
>
> ---druck

OK, It's just the PRM makes refernece to it being on Sector 12,
which implied 256 sectors.

Now to code the above in C, and build a Windows style IO_CTRL wrapper
round it for ReactOS:-(

BTW If anyone here is intrested in porting ReactOS to RiscPC or Iyonix
architecture....

0
usenet7 (106)
4/28/2006 8:42:38 PM
In message <1146256958.145393.164090@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>
          usenet@gfarlie.demon.co.uk wrote:

> OK, It's just the PRM makes refernece to it being on Sector 12,
> which implied 256 sectors.
>
> Now to code the above in C, and build a Windows style IO_CTRL wrapper
> round it for ReactOS:-(
>
> BTW If anyone here is intrested in porting ReactOS to RiscPC or Iyonix
> architecture....

....then they'll need a year or two at least, and for it to be
meaningful, you'd need to be able to run existing x86 applications
(rather than new applications which are recompiled), which means an
emulator - the result would be very slow.

And that's not counting the work you'd have to do on drivers and
toolchains.  I think if you want to work on ReactOS, you should get
suitable hardware - it's certainly cheap enough.

If the question were over another open source OS, for which everything
could be natively compiled, then the answer might be different.  Linux
and NetBSD of course have been done, but there's things like OpenBeOS,
although I'm not certain how many of its applications could be compiled
for ARM.

--
Peter Naulls - peter@chocky.org        | http://www.chocky.org/
RISC OS Community Wiki - add your own content   | http://www.riscos.info/
0
peter4500 (2516)

Add IDE hard disc to VxWoks
I conneted a IDE hard disc to my PC_104,and the bios can detect the hard disc,but the VxWorks can't! How can I config the VxWorks to solve this question? How can I set the parameter"IDE_INT_VEC"? Is there anybody can help me? Hi, Are you writing IDE driver? I am writing IDE driver for the sandisc CF card. When I am trying to build the BSP with INCLUDE_ATA, it expect following import parameters. IMPORT ATA_TYPE ataTypes [ATA_MAX_CTRLS][ATA_MAX_DRIVES]; IMPORT ATA_RESOURCE ataResources [ATA_MAX_CTRLS]; Do I need to provide these parameters? Should I read the card register...

Freebie: Original Acorn 210Mb Hard Disc
In the course of helping a disabled friend to clear out a lot of old Acorn kit I have acquired one of the original 210Mb hard discs that were fitted to some Risc PCs. It is now formatted F+ (long file names) and contains the rudiments of a RISC OS 4.02 installation. I could re-format it to F (as original) which would leave it empty. I have given it a long run on a Risc PC; it checks out OK with DiscKnight and *Verify produces no defects. Does anyone want this drive for the cost of postage? Email me at the address below. Brian. -- ______________________________________________________________ Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK bric at f2s dot com ______________________________________________________________ On 12 Sep 2007 Brian Carroll <bric-nospam@argonet.co.uk> wrote: > In the course of helping a disabled friend to clear out a lot of > old Acorn kit I have acquired one of the original 210Mb hard > discs that were fitted to some Risc PCs. It is now formatted F+ > (long file names) and contains the rudiments of a RISC OS 4.02 > installation. I could re-format it to F (as original) which > would leave it empty. I have given it a long run on a Risc PC; > it checks out OK with DiscKnight and *Verify produces no > defects. These drives are so far past their expected lifetime, don't rely on them continuing to function. ---druck -- The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/ The 32bit Conversions Page ...

booting from CF-Card as IDE hard disc
Hi there! Has anyone done this successfully? My setup: - Atari Falcon - IDE44<->CF-Slot (pure wiring) adapter - SanDisk 128 MB Compact Flash Card HDDriver 8.1 installed successfully, as on any hard disc before. The "card disc" is fully functional. BUT: I am not able to boot from the card disc, have to load HDDriver from floppy though it is installed on card disc drive "C". I guess there is something with the TOS boot routines that makes them unable to recognise the card disc. Maybe I should try another CF-Card brand? Or do I have ...

Programmers, Programmers, Programmers, ...
As Steve Balmer correctly stated, while making his monkey dance, it is applications and hence programmers that make a platform. The fact though is that if you want to do professional programming, then Linux is the platform for you. I know that this statement will get the heckels up on a lot of trolls in C.O.L.A, but I have a recent experience that proves this. I am currently working for a Windows only house producing a system that receives and transmits around 1000 telegrams per second in each direction on a UDP socket, translates them into a different format and creates a log entry for each ...

Free: 2 Small IDE Hard Discs
I shall be donating 2 small hard discs to the Charity Stall at Wakefield on Saturday; both Fujitsu; re-formatted to RISC OS 'E'; !DiscKnight tested. One is 2GB, the other is 6GB and very suitable for older machines, though I have used them until 18 months ago in RiscPCs. If anyone wants either or both of these please let me know (see email address in signature) and I will put your name on them. Brian. -- ______________________________________________________________ Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK bric at f2s dot com ______________________________________________________________ On 09 May, bric-nospam@argonet.co.uk wrote: > I shall be donating 2 small hard discs to the Charity Stall at > Wakefield on Saturday; ... I also have a 17" IDEK Vision Master monitor that I bought from a loving Acorn user for a spare some years ago but have hardly used. It almost killed me getting it from my storage space and I cannot face putting it back :-( I have given the monitor a good long run on a RiscPC and it looks as good as ever. It comes with manual and original mains and data cables, but no packing. If anyone who is going to Wakefield by car and would like this monitor, please let me know beforehand by email (see signature). The charity stall cannot accept it but I would be pleased if the recipient made a small donation in cash. Unless I have a definite bid it will have to go to the Ripon dump. What a shame! Brian. -- _______________________...

IBM IDE hard disc is not recognized any more. Changing jumper ???
Some weeks ago one of my IBM EIDE hard disc starts to make some odd noises. So I decided to format it again. When I tried that operation from Win2000 the hard disc refuses to work any longer. So I decided to do that from DOS with the low level format tool or even try to inspect the hard disc with the Drive Fitness tool of IBM. Unfortuantely the hard disc is not accessible any more at boot time. It is not recognized by the hardware during the boot process. I tried it in another computer - without success. So is there something like a workaround like changing the jumper to modes like the one ...

Adding IDE hard drive on 2nd IDE channel
I have a GigaByte KT400 M/B where the primary drive and CD-ROM are on the first IDE controller. I would like to add a 2nd hard drive to the other ob-board controller (master). When I run mkdev hd and select add hard disk to IDE controller I get the following: Ctrl Num 0, Drive 1: No such device. I am using SCO 5.0.6. Output from /var/adm/messages: %kernel - - - rel=3.2v5.0.6 kid=2000-07-27 %cpu - - - unit=1 family=6 type=AMD gtAthlon %cpuid - - - unit=1 vend=AuthenticAMD tfms=0:6:8:1 %amd - - - unit=1 family=7 model=8 step=1 %fpu - 13 - unit=1 type=80387-compatible...

Hard Discs
I have two hard drives in my Iyonix and am going to replace the second (slave) drive. It boots from :4. I have backed it up elsewhere but when I removed the drive (:5) from the machine it started up to the desktop but said that it couldn't find a drive. I have now replaced drive :5 and the machine is OK. I have looked in configure but can't find where you tell the machine it only has one drive now. Although I could leave the drive in situ till my new one arrives I really want it out so it can replace an ailing drive in my partners PC. My question is twofold - firstly where do you configure the number of hard drives, configure discs only allows you to change floppy, CD and SCSI drives and mine are both IDE; and secondly will the same problem arise when I eventually take it out and replace it with a new drive as that won't yet be formatted. JayCee In message <395577804d.jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: > I have two hard drives in my Iyonix and am going to replace the second > (slave) drive. It boots from :4. > > I have backed it up elsewhere but when I removed the drive (:5) from > the machine it started up to the desktop but said that it couldn't > find a drive. > > I have now replaced drive :5 and the machine is OK. > > I have looked in configure but can't find where you tell the machine > it only has one drive now. > > Although I co...

Multiple 2.5" IDE laptop hard drives on one IDE channel?
I'm currently in the process of building a system out of spare parts. I'd like to use several laptop drives in this system, since I already have them, they're small (in case size), and they're far more quiet than the old desktop drives I have. The problem I've run into is that the only IDE to laptop IDE adapters I've found cost $10 or more and only work with one drive. What I was hoping to find was a way to hook up two of these drives to a single IDE port on my motherboard. Any suggestions? Thanks, Jeff -- Remove "no" and "spam"...

Creating ADF on acorn
Hi Is there a program I can use on a real acorn that makes adf files for use in a acorn emulator on a PC. I've got Impression Style coming in a few days after an auction on ebay and want to install it on the PC. Can remember that there was some protection built in stopping you from installing onto a Acorn and just copying the necessary directory over. Thanks. Rich --- avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean. Virus Database (VPS): 0635-4, 01/09/2006 Tested on: 02/09/2006 11:18:24 avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2006 ALWIL Software. http://www.avast.com On 2 Sep 2006, Rich <richdo...

Hard disc sick?
Hello, Don't know if this is a hardware issue or if it's just s/ware causing unnescessary concern. My HD verifys 100% perfect but I have recently strarted getting disc error messages when I load MPro. Nothing seems to get corrupted and everything works fine once I've clicked OK on all the errors but obviously I don't want to miss a warning sign that my HD's about to expire. I'm thinking it could well be hardware as also it keeps on re-initialising during use, certainly never used to park the heads after periods of inactivity which is what it appears to be doing now. Any one any thoughts? Pity there isn't a SATA podule available, I've got an 80GB SATA drive with about 3 hrs. use on it just sitting in a box. Also when I've got some money I'll be looking out for a new IDE podule as that Simtec one just isn't doing the job, am only getting onboard IDE performance levels out of it - think it's simply not working with DMA. If any one has a decent IDE card for sale I'd be interested to hear from them. Cheers, Mike.... -- Michael Hambley - mike@armpowered.co.uk http://www.armpowered.co.uk - My little corner of the web. http://www.dispose-it.co.uk - IT disposal/recycling & data destruction. http://www.ecoputers.co.uk - New and refurbished computers, peripherals etc. In message <7d2abf644d.Michael@armpowered.co.uk> Michael Hambley <mike@armpowered.co.uk> wrote: > expire. I'm thinking it c...

FS: Hard discs
If anyone is interested, I've got hold of a bunch of hard discs. They're Fujitsu units, MPD3043AT, 4.3GB capacity. Ideal to give yourself a bit more space. Offers to the return address on here. Note that my mailbox is filtering quite hard at the moment, so mails headed Technical anything, among a lot of other words, will get binned. I've got pukka boxes too, so mailing is no problem. Cheers Mike -- Michael Gilbert: in his own write OK, so there's the Trident in Bangor In article <ant2019271cb9GWx@riscpc.local>, Michael Gilbert <URL:mailto:mgilbert@eclipse.co.uk> wrote: > .... Note > that my mailbox is filtering quite hard at the moment, so mails > headed Technical anything, among a lot of other words, will get binned. I quite understand, but I did smile, I thought you worked in Technical support:-) That would be one of reducing your workload;-) Chris Evans -- CJE Micro's / NCS / Fourth Dimension 'RISC OS Specialists' Telephone: (01903) 523222 Fax: (01903) 523679 chris@cjemicros.co.uk http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/ 78 Brighton Road, Worthing, West Sussex, BN11 2EN, UK. In article <ant221229b49pErr@client.cjemicros.co.uk>, Chris Evans <URL:mailto:chris@cjemicros.co.uk> wrote: > In article <ant2019271cb9GWx@riscpc.local>, Michael Gilbert > <URL:mailto:mgilbert@eclipse.co.uk> wrote: > > > .... Note > > that my mailbox is filtering quite hard...

More hard disc woes
After all the difficulties I recently had -- but never solved -- getting a 120 GB disc recognised on a RISC OS 4 RiscPC, I've now tried another brand-new disc. This one is 80 GB (a size that is known to be usable on RO 4), and I haven't run HForm or similar tools on it as it came "ready to use" and I don't want to risk rendering it completely unusable. Once again it is not recognised, suggesting that there is something fundamentally wrong here. The 40 GB it replaced worked fine as slave to the 16 GB, the 40 GB is now the master and the 80 is jumpered as slave, so it's really rather puzzling! When I had the same problem with the 120 GB I also tried having it as the master with no slave and that made no difference, so I haven't tried that this time (I really don't fancy stripping down to the motherboard level again!) and strongly feel that it would change nothing. I ran DiscKnight to get some basic info, and the results (below) are intriguing, though I am no expert and do not know why it turns up this result. The number 219 keeps popping up, but I don't know what that signifies if anything. I am hoping that at least one of the experts here will read the report and immediately recignise something very silly that can easily be corrected. If not, I now have *two* spare hard discs(!) DiscKnight 1.40 (28-Dec-2002) [32bit] Serial no. 21300084 Arguments: -v -t -s ADFS 5 Boot block - Boot Record Number of Tracks : 0 Number of...

Hard Disc format
I have just formatted a Maxtor 250Gb drive on my Iyonix but Free tells me it only has 128Gb of space on it - is this a imitation of the Iyonix or have I overlooked something, I just accepted the defaults that HForm gave me. JayCee JayCee wrote: > I have just formatted a Maxtor 250Gb drive on my Iyonix but Free tells > me it only has 128Gb of space on it - is this a imitation of the > Iyonix or have I overlooked something, I just accepted the defaults > that HForm gave me. ADFS (and HForm) carry a physical limitation of 128Gb. Drives >128Gb use feature sets not used on smaller drives, so the ADFS module needs to support that. Whilst the API for Filecore on RISC OS 5 has been designed to support 256Gb, I'm not aware of that restriction being lifted from ADFS. Select also currently formats and uses drives up to 128Gb on ADFS. Best wishes, Drew On 2 Jul 2005 JayCee <jaycee@jstp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: > I have just formatted a Maxtor 250Gb drive on my Iyonix but Free tells > me it only has 128Gb of space on it - is this a imitation of the > Iyonix or have I overlooked something, I just accepted the defaults > that HForm gave me. Use DiscKnight's verbose display to see what size you've actually formatted it to. ---druck -- The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/ The 32bit Conversions Page - http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/ In message <284027844d.druck@druck.freeuk.net> dr...

Hard disc scratch
My teenage son has a habit of restarting his laptop when the system (frequently) hangs by removing the battery. Now there appears to be a problem on the hard disc. Durning the execution of Scandisk, the scan reaches around 86% and then stops. It just stays there until the system is rebooted. We can get the machine to operate by rebooting and bypassing scandisk. But certain operations, e.g. trying to delete a particular file, cause the system to hang. I guess the cause is that there is some kind of scratch on the disc when he removed the battery once too often. But I am surprised that Scandisk can't overcome this. Anyone know of any utility that can perhaps put the bad sectors into an "envelope" so that they are simply ignored by the system ? Salvador Freemanson wrote: > My teenage son has a habit of restarting his laptop when the system > (frequently) hangs by removing the battery. > > Now there appears to be a problem on the hard disc. > Durning the execution of Scandisk, the scan reaches around 86% and > then stops. It just stays there until the system is rebooted. > > We can get the machine to operate by rebooting and bypassing scandisk. > But certain operations, e.g. trying to delete a particular file, cause > the system to hang. > > I guess the cause is that there is some kind of scratch on the disc > when he removed the battery once too often. But I am surprised that > Scandisk can't overcome this. ...

IDE, IDEFS and ADFS
Realization has dawned on me that I am muddled in my thinking about IDE and IDEFS and ADFS. Can a drive be IDE at the same time as being ADFS? So far in my RiscPC, any drives have been plugged into the sockets on the motherboard. Are these IDE ports? The machine has a Unipod with physically identical sockets. These, I presume, are IDE ports. Am I correct in thinking that these sockets will require using Simtec�IDEFS instead of ADFS? If so, in what way does the difference come into play -- is it to do with the formatting of the disc, or what? I want to take a spare (quiet) drive from the Iyonix and use it on the RiscPC. This drive says "ADFS::Castle.$..." in the titlebar of all its directory windows. Will there be problems if I plug it into the Unipod? Will access be slowed down somehow? Part of my confusing possibly stems from my current (noisy) boot drive on the RiscPC registering itself in every directory titlebar as "ADFS::IDEdrive4.$..." (I bought it from APDL; Dave Holden says the name IDEdrive4 is what he gave it when he formatted it.) According to Wikipedia: The terms "integrated drive electronics" (IDE), "enhanced IDE" and "EIDE" have come to be used interchangeably with ATA (now Parallel ATA, or PATA). -- Jim Nagel www.archivemag.co.uk >> "from" address is genuine but will change. website has current o...

Hard disc dying?
Today the hard disc on the A5000 at the Wandle Industrial Museum (which is, not, I may add, an exhibit!) displayed worrying behaviour, spontaneously spinning down in the middle of print spooling and then failing to spin up at all when the computer was re-started, causing it to hang for a long time mid-boot and when the hard disc icon was clicked upon. I took the top off the machine and tried unplugging and reseating the power supply lead to the hard disc, which was all I could think of, and the machine did then start up properly the next time I tried it, but I don't know if this was a coincidence or not. The computer is due to be 'upgraded' to a Windows machine in the next few months and I was relying on being able to process the data into a lowest-common-denominator form for transfer, e.g. CSV, HTML, plain text etc. I have a spare hard disc of suitable size (albeit of similar age to the original). Is the defect likely to be in the power supply from the motherboard or in the disc mechanism? i.e. will replacing the hard disc improve reliability or not? There is only 58Mb used space on the disc at present, some of which is unnecessary software -- for example, DigitalCD on a machine where the sound doesn't work -- and I am hoping that I can probably keep the old hard disc running for long enough to copy the data across if required. -- Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie == We prefer to speak evil of ourselves than not speak of oursel...

Failed hard disc
The main hard disc in my RiscPC seems to have given up. It threw up a disc error (which may have been 5, sadly I didn't write it down) and now all I'm getting is "Disc not found...". Attempts to access it just result in the machine freezing for long periods of time and it makes the occasional unhappy crunching noise when powered up. I'm assuming it's dead, though if anyone has any suggestions as to troubleshooting methods I'd be interested... The main question is: as it's still on the motherboard IDE interface, are there any compatibility issues that I need to be aware of when buying a replacement? The machine runs 4.02 or Select 3, so the LFAU problem isn't an issue, but will any modern disc "just work"? The FAQ seems a bit out of date in this respect. -- Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/ In message <2ac633d44c.steve@helvellyn.stevefryatt.org.uk> Steve Fryatt <news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote: [snip] > The main question is: as it's still on the motherboard IDE interface, are > there any compatibility issues that I need to be aware of when buying a > replacement? The machine runs 4.02 or Select 3, so the LFAU problem > isn't an issue, but will any modern disc "just work"? The FAQ seems a > bit out of date in this respect. I am running a Maxtor Diamond +9 (Calypso) for over 15 month now without any trouble. It is connected to the inter...

My hard disc locked
I've got two hard discs, one is for my system and one is for the data.( both of them are in NTFS format) few days ago, my system went down and I wanted to install format and install windows98 to drive C.(I used XP before) Unluckily, I can't install Windows 98 into Drive C(looks like it's not competitible w/ NTFS) So I installed XP afterwerds. After that, My Drive D turned to RAW format, I can't open drive D's data. The windows said that I haven't format the D drive ant when I use the fdisk, it can't identify my drive D's format. There are twenty-something giabytes of IMPORTENT DATA. Plz help me! On 19 Feb 2004 02:18:34 -0800, antony617hk@yahoo.com.hk (antony617) wrote: >I've got two hard discs, one is for my system and one is for the >data.( both of them are in NTFS format) >few days ago, my system went down and I wanted to install format and >install windows98 to drive C.(I used XP before) >Unluckily, I can't install Windows 98 into Drive C(looks like it's not >competitible w/ NTFS) >So I installed XP afterwerds. After that, My Drive D turned to RAW >format, I can't open drive D's data. The windows said that I haven't >format the D drive ant when I use the fdisk, it can't identify my >drive D's format. >There are twenty-something giabytes of IMPORTENT DATA. >Plz help me! I found this in a different group: ---------------------------------------------- >Bednarek <mb a...

Replacement Hard Disc
I have a RISC PC 600 with RISC OS 3.6. The current hard disc appears to have failed with hard errors. I have been unable to find out what the maximum hard disc size that I can fit is - I've been unable to run HForm (I've tried several versions) with a 40Gb HD. So, some questions: What is the maximum size HD that I can add with the current OS and what version of HForm would I use? Can I just add some spare 3.7 ROMs I have and would it make any difference? Where can I get a very small HD if the answer to the above is less than about 18Gb (the smallest I can make available)? What upgrades would make sense in this situation? Thanking you in advance. John Haines In article <4cc4b35ec8jhaines@argonet.co.uk>, John Haines <jhaines@argonet.co.uk> wrote: > Where can I get a very small HD if the answer to the above is less than > about 18Gb (the smallest I can make available)? > What upgrades would make sense in this situation? One answer might be an IDE card. Those can allow you to partition a larger disc so you have several all within the 3.6 maximum. IIRC. -- *I'm not your type. I'm not inflatable. Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound. On 25 Jun 2004 John Haines <jhaines@argonet.co.uk> wrote: > I have a RISC PC 600 with RISC OS 3.6. The current hard disc appears to > have failed with hard errors. I have been unable to find out what the &...

Hard disc recovery
I had a somewhat strange experience today with a hard drive. Some months ago I decided to upgrade the hard drive on my PC from 100GB to 160GB. The drives were formatted to NTFS. I used the now spare 100GB drive in my Risc PC, initialising it with my Unipod, where it has been used since February this year. As the 100GB was a bit over the top and the PC again needed more space, I reverted the Risc PC to its original 10GB drive and put the 100GB drive - still with all the Risc PC stuff on it - back into the PC, as a slave to the other drive. When I turned the PC on, it went into a half hour ...

A3010 Hard disc
Hi. Know this is a tall order but does anyone have an IDE interface for the A3010 which I could use to connect a hard disc to the machine? Also, I need a user port on the expansion card. I dont need a hard disc, I have two in an A7000 and I could take one for this. Know it wont fit, but neatness doesnt really matter. I just need the inteface. Alternatively does anyone have an expansion card of any sort whatsoever for an A7000 with a user port on it? I really dont care what it is so long as theres a user port (for an external control box I want to get working for a model railway). If anyone has one they dont want could they email me? Dallimoj@coventry.ac.uk Would prefer an email as I wont have a chance to check the group for a while. A freebie would be great (I would pay postage etc) but otherwise email me with a price and I'll consider it. Cant pay too much tho Im a poor skivvy student!! :-) Many thanks in advance Jon Dallimore On 22-Jun-2005, "Jon Dallimore" <dallimoj@coventry.ac.uk> wrote: > Know this is a tall order but does anyone have an IDE interface for > the A3010 which I could use to connect a hard disc to the machine? > Also, I need a user port on the expansion card. I dont need a hard > disc, I have two in an A7000 and I could take one for this. Know it > wont fit, but neatness doesnt really matter. I just need the > inteface. > > Alternatively does anyone have an expansion card of any sort > whatsoever for an...

SCSI Hard Disc
My Seagate SCSI HD hasn't run up and the tally light is pulsing. Disappeared off setup, too. Is it toast - or is their anything I can try? Luckily I only use it for temporary audio files so nothing important on it. I ran a test on it just the other day and it reported ok. Perhaps coincidence? -- *There's no place like www.home.com * Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound. In article <4d1b9717e5dave@davenoise.co.uk>, Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote: > My Seagate SCSI HD hasn't run up and the tally light is > pulsing. Disappeared off setup, too. Is it toast - or is their > anything I can try? ... Is it reported as present when you do *Devices? Brian. -- ______________________________________________________________ Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK bric at f2s dot com ______________________________________________________________ In article <4d1c16edfcbric-nospam@argonet.co.uk>, Brian Carroll <bric-nospam@argonet.co.uk> wrote: > > My Seagate SCSI HD hasn't run up and the tally light is > > pulsing. Disappeared off setup, too. Is it toast - or is their > > anything I can try? ... > Is it reported as present when you do *Devices? No. -- *I yell because I care Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound. In article &...

Hard Disc on Iyonix
The hard disc on my Iyonix has started to produce 'Disc error 13 at ...' messages. I need to purchase a replacement drive of the same or similar type so that I can have them both connected at the same time to copy stuff from the original to the new drive. What is it that I should purchase please? DIscKnight gives the map a clean bill so I'll do nothing to the existing HDD until I've copied it all off (and made a backup first). On 14 May 2012, svrsig <chris@svrsig.org> wrote: [snip] > DIscKnight gives the map a clean bill so I'll do nothing to the > existing HDD until I've copied it all off (and made a backup first). Disknight checks the directory structure. To find disc errors you need to *verify Tony In article <c3faca44-e161-43e6-95db-4d378cfba496@3g2000vbx.googlegroups.com>, svrsig <chris@svrsig.org> wrote: > The hard disc on my Iyonix has started to produce 'Disc error 13 > at ...' messages. I need to purchase a replacement drive of the same > or similar type so that I can have them both connected at the same > time to copy stuff from the original to the new drive. What is it that > I should purchase please? This type of error may also be due to the power supply going off. -- Chris Johnson Chris Johnson <chrisjohnson+news@spamcop.net> wrote: > In article > <c3faca44-e161-43e6-95db-4d378cfba496@3g2000vbx.googlegroups.com>, > svrsig <chris@svrsig.org> wrote...

Web resources about - ADFS, IDE and Hard Discs... - comp.sys.acorn.programmer

Flying disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... the sport, see Ultimate (sport) . For the amusement ride, see Frisbee (ride) . For the type of UFO, see Flying saucer . The shape of the disc, ...

Next-gen Ultra HD Blu-ray discs probably won’t be cracked for a while
DVDFab, a software tool for ripping and decrypting DVDs and Blu-ray discs, will not be upgraded to support newer Ultra HD (4K) Blu-ray discs. ...

Eternal 5D nanostructured glass optical discs hold 360TB of data and last billions of years
... needs may be met by a new invention from the University of Southampton. Not only can its newly announced Eternal 5D nanostructured glass discs ...

PEARS cover Everclear's "Chemical Smile," Black Tusk contribute b-side to flexi-disc series
We recently posted a ripping track off New Orleans melodic hardcore band PEARS' upcoming album for Fat Wreck Chords, and now they've released ...

4K Blu-ray discs on sale early at Best Buy
Despite an official release date of March 2016, one of America's largest retailers has begun selling the next-generation discs early.

Discs of Vaughn: Tales from the Borderlands gets a physical edition
... The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us . Now, Tales from the Borderlands gets that treatment. 2K Games announced today that a physical disc-based ...

Wire cage supports disc-shaped diffuser in Front's Plane lamp
Thin metal strands support the circular diffuser and strip of LEDs in these lamps by Stockholm studio Front for Swedish brand Zero

'5D' discs can store data until well after the sun burns out
Researchers at the University of Southampton's Optical Research Center announced on Tuesday that they've perfected a technique that can record ...

Microsoft Was Right, Video Game Discs Are Stupid
Yesterday, I got my hard copy of The Division. Two and a half hours after putting the disc in, I was playing the game. With discs taking almost ...

Xbox 360 scratched discs: Why the U.S. Supreme Court will hear the case, a decade later
... Court agreed on Friday to review a lawsuit between Microsoft and Xbox 360 users who allege that a defect in the console caused their game discs ...