c programming in linux

I was writing a shell in c programming using linux Suse 9.3 and I need
to builld various command in it like ls, cd, pwd, ps, kill, etc. I have
done most of it but am stuck with ls, it does work but it will not work
with flags, can anyone tell me how to build those in it like -L, -a,
ect.

0
laminsj (1)
11/29/2005 7:29:12 PM
comp.sys.acorn.programmer 2499 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 29 Nov 2005 laminsj@hotmail.com wrote:
> I was writing a shell in c programming using linux Suse 9.3 and I need
> to builld various command in it like ls, cd, pwd, ps, kill, etc. I have
> done most of it but am stuck with ls, it does work but it will not work
> with flags, can anyone tell me how to build those in it like -L, -a,
> ect.

You first step is to post the question to a newsgroup with linux in the name
rather than acorn.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
11/29/2005 9:02:43 PM
druck did utter the following words of wisdom:

> On 29 Nov 2005 laminsj@hotmail.com wrote:
>> I was writing a shell in c programming using linux Suse 9.3 and I need
>> to builld various command in it like ls, cd, pwd, ps, kill, etc. I have
>> done most of it but am stuck with ls, it does work but it will not work
>> with flags, can anyone tell me how to build those in it like -L, -a,
>> ect.
>
> You first step is to post the question to a newsgroup with linux in the name
> rather than acorn.

Um, no. Better off with the words "linux" and "programming" in the name -
I doubt alt.linux.advocacy would appreciate that sort of
question! Actually, comp.unix.programmer is probably the best place to be.

TTFN

Paul

0
paul84 (611)
11/30/2005 4:40:49 PM
On 30 Nov, Paul F. Johnson wrote:

>druck did utter the following words of wisdom:
>
>> On 29 Nov 2005 laminsj@hotmail.com wrote:
>>> I was writing a shell in c programming using linux Suse 9.3 and I need
>>> to builld various command in it like ls, cd, pwd, ps, kill, etc. I have
>>> done most of it but am stuck with ls, it does work but it will not work
>>> with flags, can anyone tell me how to build those in it like -L, -a,
>>> ect.
>>
>> You first step is to post the question to a newsgroup with linux in the name
>> rather than acorn.
>
>Um, no. Better off with the words "linux" and "programming" in the name -
>I doubt alt.linux.advocacy would appreciate that sort of
>question! Actually, comp.unix.programmer is probably the best place to be.

Nah, go for one of the ones that start: microsoft.public ... ;-)

Yours,

Phil L.
--
http://www.philipnet.com/ | http://director.sourceforge.net/
       http://www.windowsadvice.com/blogs/philipnet/

0
nospam8024 (635)
11/30/2005 10:09:49 PM
Philip Ludlam did utter the following words of wisdom:

> On 30 Nov, Paul F. Johnson wrote:
>
>>druck did utter the following words of wisdom:

>>> You first step is to post the question to a newsgroup with linux in the name
>>> rather than acorn.
>>
>>Um, no. Better off with the words "linux" and "programming" in the name -
>>I doubt alt.linux.advocacy would appreciate that sort of
>>question! Actually, comp.unix.programmer is probably the best place to be.
>
> Nah, go for one of the ones that start: microsoft.public ... ;-)

Nope, someone on there is bound to point the poster back here - everyone
knows that VirtualAcorn is actually a linux binding on a BSD subsystem
held together with sellotape and string for Win32 to emulate another OS...
Either that or the clueless gimboids will point the poster to
alt.fan.bill-gates...

TTFN

Paul
0
paul84 (611)

Manual for Acorn Desktop C (repost from c.s.a.programmer)
I've got one set of manuals - well I had the discs as well, but have disposed of them - for Acorn ANSI C release 4. I'm about to dispose of the manuals as well; unless somebody has a use for them. I'm after =A310 to cover carriage and handling. If nobody replies before 1pm, i'll be disposing of them via the trash... Dave ...

US-PA: Radnor-C/C++ Unix/Linux Programmer
************************************************************** JobCircle.com - Careers, Content and Community for Technology professionals in the Northeastern United States! Jobcircle.com provides resume submission, classified searches, eLearning, hundreds of career development articles, tech news, and more to tens of thousands of Technology professionals in your area - visit us today at http://www.jobcircle.com! !!! Voted a TOP 50 Career Web Site in 2002 by CareerXRoads !!! ************************************************************** Job Title: C/C++ Unix/Linux Programm...

Looking for a Dos C or Windows C++ programmer to patch a program
Do you program in C on a Dos or Windows Platform? Can you change the ADT PC or Windows client to run at the higher baud rates that seem to be supported in the source code? I'd settle for one more, 115200 that the SSC supposedly supports. I can send you the source code to try it. Please contact me through our club web site or post a message here. Thankx, Ed http://www.applelinc.org Ed Eastman wrote: > Do you program in C on a Dos or Windows Platform? Can you change the > ADT PC or Windows client to run at the higher baud rates that seem to be > supported in the source code? I'd settle for one more, 115200 that the > SSC supposedly supports. > > I can send you the source code to try it. > > Please contact me through our club web site or post a message here. > > Thankx, > Ed > http://www.applelinc.org Odd the source I have supports up to 256000 but the exe only goes up to 19200 in the dropdown box. Glenn Glenn Jones wrote: > Ed Eastman wrote: > >> Do you program in C on a Dos or Windows Platform? Can you change the >> ADT PC or Windows client to run at the higher baud rates that seem to >> be supported in the source code? I'd settle for one more, 115200 that >> the SSC supposedly supports. >> >> I can send you the source code to try it. >> >> Please contact me through our club web site or post a message here. >> >> Thankx, >&...

How to compile C++ program with templates to pure C or C++ program without templates?
Hi, I heard that debug some C++ templates is very difficult. I'm wondering whether it is possible to compile C++ program with templates to pure C or C++ program without templates? Best wishes, Peng In article <1129128623.514540.179850@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, PengYu.UT@gmail.com <PengYu.UT@gmail.com> wrote: >I heard that debug some C++ templates is very difficult. I'm wondering >whether it is possible to compile C++ program with templates to pure C >or C++ program without templates? The point of using templates is to not do that, since, that's also d...

Compiling a C program through another C program
As "spawnl" executes an exe through C code., similarly how can we compile a C program through another C program (on Windows platform) ? On Sep 28, 8:29 pm, Ajinkya <kaleajin...@gmail.com> wrote: > As "spawnl" executes an exe through C code., similarly how can we > compile a C program through another C program (on Windows platform) ? Command in unix platform will do too... On Sep 28, 10:29 pm, Ajinkya <kaleajin...@gmail.com> wrote: > As "spawnl" executes an exe through C code., similarly how can we > compile a C program through another ...

Linux programming, is there any C++?
I'm kind of new to Linux and I've started downloading applications and installing them. Applications are distributed as source code in a ".tar.gz" file. You unzip the file, navigate to the directory, run "configure", then run "make", then run "make install". Anyway, in all the programs I've seen, there's only ever been .c files, and it looks like only gcc has been invoked. Do people in the Linux community not use C++ and distribute their source in ".tar.gz"? -- Tom�s � h�ilidhe Tomás Ó hÉilidhe wrote: ...

US-NY: New York-UNIX Programming-C++ Programmers Developers-Senior-UNIX / C,
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is a regional job board serving all industries and occupations in the PA, NJ, DE, NY, MD, and DC areas. We offer a regional job board, online learning, and regional job fair events for jobseekers who live in our areas of focus. To Learn More: Job Board: http://www.JobCircle.com?source=ng eLearning: http://www.JobCircle.com/courseware?source=ng Job Fairs: http://JobCircleJobFairs.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: UNIX Programming-C++ Programmers Developers-Senior-UNIX / C, Job Location: NY: New York Pay Rate: Generous+Bonus Job Length: full time Start Date: 2007-05-14 Company Name: WSI Nationwide, Inc Contact: Jay Q. Phone: 212-410-1400 Fax: 212-426-2558 Description: Senior level UNIX C++ Software Developer / Programmer candidates will have exceptional complex problem solving skills (enjoy solving problems) and want to work in a challenging large scale deeply technical environment and have solid UNIX Programming including Shell scripting and UNIX / C / C++ programming experience, an expert in C++ with some UNIX / C programming or expert level UNIX / C with some C++, both with data structures, (financial applications not necessary, any other applications will be acceptable, telecom, pharmaceutical, manufacturing, retail, research applications, etc. compl...

US-NY: New York-UNIX Programming-C++ Programmers Developers-Senior-UNIX / C, #8
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is the largest regional job board in the Mid-Atlantic region, with tens of thousands of job offerings in PA, NJ, DE, MD, NY, and Washington D.C. To learn more, visit http://www.jobcircle.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: UNIX Programming-C++ Programmers Developers-Senior-UNIX / C, Job Location: NY: New York Pay Rate: Generous+Bonus Job Length: full time Start Date: 2009-02-19 Company Name: WSI Nationwide, Inc Contact: Jay Q. Phone: 212-410-1400 Fax: 212-426-2558 Description: Senior level UNIX C++ or UNIX/C Software Developer / Programmer candidates with three years+ of programming experience, an expert in C++ with some UNIX/C programming or expert level UNIX/C with some C++, both with multithreaded systems, (financial applications not necessary, any other applications will be acceptable, telecom, pharmaceutical, manufacturing, retail, research applications, etc. complete training in financial applications will be provided), exceptional problem solving skills with experience in data structures, binary trees, linked lists, static variables, static functions, constructors, destructors, vectors, inline, dynamic memory allocation, TCP/IP, strong analytical skills, and excellent written and verbal communications skills. Any design patterns or financial programming experience a plus. Bright candidates wit...

US-NY: New York-UNIX Programming-C++ Programmers Developers-Senior-UNIX / C, #7
[...]

Is the average IQ of C programmers less than that of C++ programmers?
I have a feeling that their EQ will show to be significantly lower. Feel free to post your IQs and EQs! On Tuesday, March 29, 2011 5:19:46 AM UTC+1, MikeP wrote: > I have a feeling that their EQ will show to be significantly lower. Feel > free to post your IQs and EQs! That would make C a better language for commercial purposes, wouldn't it? When I worked as a programmer, the management attitude was that they didn't want clever code; they wanted code that other staff could maintain and develop as easily as its author, especially after he had gone. On that basis, the lowest-IQ language would be the best of all! -- In message <ae3c092a-4fa2-4d9f-8a26-9665e18b98b6@glegroupsg2000goo.googl egroups.com>, bert <bert.hutchings@btinternet.com> writes >On Tuesday, March 29, 2011 5:19:46 AM UTC+1, MikeP wrote: >> I have a feeling that their EQ will show to be significantly lower. Feel >> free to post your IQs and EQs! > >That would make C a better language for commercial purposes, >wouldn't it? When I worked as a programmer, the management >attitude was that they didn't want clever code; they wanted >code that other staff could maintain and develop as easily >as its author, especially after he had gone. On that basis, >the lowest-IQ language would be the best of all! I couldn't agree more! Clever code is usually an oxymoron. BTW That is why English is the most common language on the planet as ...

C++ for C programmer
I know C, and i want to learn c++. can someone recommend an on-line source? - I also already know javascript. will that help? Thanks. ~M ---- http://www.NovelTracker.com - top ten novels, ranked hourly. On Mar 13, 10:08 am, marywilliams1...@yahoo.com wrote: > I know C, and i want to learn c++. can someone recommend an on-line > source? - I also already know javascript. will that help? See the FAQ: http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-learn-cpp.html I'd suggest you get _Accelerated C++_ by Koenig and Moo. It will teach you the right way from the ground up (and ...

C or C++ program?
I need some advice regarding a coding requirement that may suggest the need for an object oriented solution. The code fragments presented here attempt to solve the problem in C. The problem: Data Packets are received from a socket and consist of 3 elements: the Packet Type, the "Item", and some Data. The Packet type represents either: (1) A Task to be performed on the Item using the supplied Data (2) A Condition that has arisen for the Item (3) A signal to exit A Task triggers a function that executes code based on the Packet's Item and Data. Often the Task will trigger, and must wait for, additional Packets to satisfy certain Conditions before the Task can complete. The number of Conditions and the length of time spent waiting will vary for each Task. In this example, there is a "simple" Task that waits for one condition and a "complex" Task that waits for 2 conditions at different points of processing. In the actual implementation, there would be many more Tasks, some with 3 or more Conditions. Listing 1 represents what I know will not work but illustrates the problem. Listing 2 represents the best way I've come up with to handle this in C. Is Listing 2 a sound approach? Is there a better way in C? Would it be much easier in C++ or another "object oriented" language? Thanks a million! -Kerry ---------- Listing 1: ---------- As Packets are received, the appropriate function is called for processing. During ...

Linux C/C++
Can anyone suggest me a good book to learn C/C++ programming under Linux platform? Magesh wrote: > Can anyone suggest me a good book to learn C/C++ programming under > Linux platform? > Which, C or C++? They are different languages (only one of which is topical here). The platform is probably irrelevant for learning. -- Ian Collins. Magesh wrote: > Can anyone suggest me a good book to learn C/C++ programming under > Linux platform? Do you wish to learn a language or programming for a certain platform? Rui Maciel Magesh wrote: > Can anyone suggest me a good book ...

C/C++ Linux
Hey All, Wondering if anyone can help me. I am working on an assignment for an OS class. The assignment requires that I write code that will create 4 child processes, "producer", "filter1", "filter2", and "consumer". The "producer" will read data from an input text file (line by line), "filter1" will replace all " " with "*", "filter2" will replace all "CAPS" with "LOWERCASES" and the consumer will append the new modified data to a new output text file (this must be done line by line). I am suppose to use pipe() to allow each process to pass data to the next process. The picture is simply straight forward and clear, producer reads a line, passes it to filter1; via pipe, who does his job and then passes the new modified line to filter2; via pipe, who does his job and then passes the new modified line to the consumer, via pipe; who finally outputs the new modified line in a text file. This process is repeated until the input file is completely modified. Very simple, however, I need to specifically use: vfork(), wait(), exit(), and pipe(). I read up on this stuff and it seems straight forward but I am having a difficult time making it all work. Can someone please atleast just give me a hint or some guidance on how I should approach this problem. Thanks, Art Arturo: > Wondering if anyone can help me. I am working on an assignment for an > OS class. Tip: Break...

US-FL-Eglin AFB: SW Engineer, Linux programming w/C++, TSPI, GTK, DIS/HLA exp; C (45285857615)
US-FL-Eglin AFB: SW Engineer, Linux programming w/C++, TSPI, GTK, DIS/HLA exp; C (45285857615) ============================================================================================== Position: SW Engineer Reference: SMC01153 Location: Eglin AFB FL Duration: C-P Skills: 5 + years Software Engineering including Linux programming with C++ in an OpenSource environment with OpenSceneGraph and OpenGL experience required. Telemetry and TSPI date processing, GTK and WxWindows programming and Socket programming. Experience with Object Oriented Analysis and Design (OOAD) with UML. DIS/HLA experience. Please send your current resume in confidence to <staffing@eurosoft-inc.com> ..45285857615. ...

US-FL-Eglin AFB: SW Engineer, Linux programming w/C++, TSPI, GTK, DIS/HLA exp; C (45287657602)
US-FL-Eglin AFB: SW Engineer, Linux programming w/C++, TSPI, GTK, DIS/HLA exp; C (45287657602) ============================================================================================== Position: SW Engineer Reference: SMC01153 Location: Eglin AFB FL Duration: C-P Skills: 5 + years Software Engineering including Linux programming with C++ in an OpenSource environment with OpenSceneGraph and OpenGL experience required. Telemetry and TSPI date processing, GTK and WxWindows programming and Socket progra...

US-FL-Eglin AFB: SW Engineer, Linux programming w/C++, TSPI, GTK, DIS/HLA exp; C (45285557607)
US-FL-Eglin AFB: SW Engineer, Linux programming w/C++, TSPI, GTK, DIS/HLA exp; C (45285557607) ============================================================================================== Position: SW Engineer Reference: SMC01153 Location: Eglin AFB FL Duration: C-P Skills: 5 + years Software Engineering including Linux programming with C++ in an OpenSource environment with OpenSceneGraph and OpenGL experience required. Telemetry and TSPI date processing, GTK and WxWindows programming and Socket programming. Experience with Object Oriented Analysis and Design (OOAD) with UML. DIS/HLA experience. Please send your current resume in confidence to <staffing@eurosoft-inc.com> ..45285557607. ...

US-FL-Elgin AFB: SW Engineer, Linux programming w/C++, TSPI, GTK, DIS/HLA exp; C (45284957637)
US-FL-Elgin AFB: SW Engineer, Linux programming w/C++, TSPI, GTK, DIS/HLA exp; C (45284957637) ============================================================================================== Position: SW Engineer Reference: SMC01153 Location: Elgin AFB FL Duration: C-P Skills: 5 + years Software Engineering including Linux programming with C++ in an OpenSource environment with OpenSceneGraph and OpenGL experience required. Telemetry and TSPI date processing, GTK and WxWindows programming and Socket programming. Experience with Object Oriented Analysis and Design (OOAD) with UML. DIS/HLA experience. Please send your current resume in confidence to <staffing@eurosoft-inc.com> ..45284957637. ...

US-FL-Elgin AFB: SW Engineer, Linux programming w/C++, TSPI, GTK, DIS/HLA exp; C (45284956783)
US-FL-Elgin AFB: SW Engineer, Linux programming w/C++, TSPI, GTK, DIS/HLA exp; C (45284956783) ============================================================================================== Position: SW Engineer Reference: SMC01153 Location: Elgin AFB FL Duration: C-P Skills: 5 + years Software Engineering including Linux programming with C++ in an OpenSource environment with OpenSceneGraph and OpenGL experience required. Telemetry and TSPI date processing, GTK and WxWindows programming and Socket programming. ...

US-FL-Elgin AFB: SW Engineer, Linux programming w/C++, TSPI, GTK, DIS/HLA exp; C (45284956783)
US-FL-Elgin AFB: SW Engineer, Linux programming w/C++, TSPI, GTK, DIS/HLA exp; C (45284956783) ============================================================================================== Position: SW Engineer Reference: SMC01153 Location: Elgin AFB FL Duration: C-P Skills: 5 + years Software Engineering including Linux programming with C++ in an OpenSource environment with OpenSceneGraph and OpenGL experience required. Telemetry and TSPI date processing, GTK and WxWindows programming and Socket progra...

US-FL-Eglin AFB: SW Engineer, Linux programming w/C++, TSPI, GTK, DIS/HLA exp; C (45287957609)
US-FL-Eglin AFB: SW Engineer, Linux programming w/C++, TSPI, GTK, DIS/HLA exp; C (45287957609) ============================================================================================== Position: SW Engineer Reference: SMC01153 Location: Eglin AFB FL Duration: C-P Skills: 5 + years Software Engineering including Linux programming with C++ in an OpenSource environment with OpenSceneGraph and OpenGL experience required. Telemetry and TSPI date processing, GTK and WxWindows programming and Socket programming. ...

US-FL-Eglin AFB: SW Engineer, Linux programming w/C++, TSPI, GTK, DIS/HLA exp; C (45287932428)
US-FL-Eglin AFB: SW Engineer, Linux programming w/C++, TSPI, GTK, DIS/HLA exp; C (45287932428) ============================================================================================== Position: SW Engineer Reference: SMC01153 Location: Eglin AFB FL Duration: C-P Skills: 5 + years Software Engineering including Linux programming with C++ in an OpenSource environment with OpenSceneGraph and OpenGL experience required. Telemetry and TSPI date processing, GTK and WxWindows programming and Socket progra...

US-FL-Eglin AFB: SW Engineer, Linux programming w/C++, TSPI, GTK, DIS/HLA exp; C (45285857615)
US-FL-Eglin AFB: SW Engineer, Linux programming w/C++, TSPI, GTK, DIS/HLA exp; C (45285857615) ============================================================================================== Position: SW Engineer Reference: SMC01153 Location: Eglin AFB FL Duration: C-P Skills: 5 + years Software Engineering including Linux programming with C++ in an OpenSource environment with OpenSceneGraph and OpenGL experience required. Telemetry and TSPI date processing, GTK and WxWindows programming and Socket progra...

US-FL-Eglin AFB: SW Engineer, Linux programming w/C++, TSPI, GTK, DIS/HLA exp; C (45287032427)
US-FL-Eglin AFB: SW Engineer, Linux programming w/C++, TSPI, GTK, DIS/HLA exp; C (45287032427) ============================================================================================== Position: SW Engineer Reference: SMC01153 Location: Eglin AFB FL Duration: C-P Skills: 5 + years Software Engineering including Linux programming with C++ in an OpenSource environment with OpenSceneGraph and OpenGL experience required. Telemetry and TSPI date processing, GTK and WxWindows programming and Socket programming. Experience with Object Oriented Analysis and Design (OOAD) with UML. DIS/HLA experience. Please send your current resume in confidence to <staffing@eurosoft-inc.com> ..45287032427. ...

Web resources about - c programming in linux - comp.sys.acorn.programmer

Mercury (programming language) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
11.07.2 (August 3, 2012 ; 2 months ago ( 2012-08-03 ) ) Mercury is a functional logic programming language geared towards real-world applications. ...

Coding faster than I can tweet — the Harker Programming Invitational
jurvetson posted a photo: We learned that my son’s team was accepted the prior night, but we did not know what the contest was about. The challenge ...

IBM brings Swift to the cloud, releases web framework Kitura written in Apple’s programming language
Only months after Apple officially open-sourced Swift , IBM today is announcing that they are bringing Apple’s Swift programming language to ...

Upfront Report: Scripps to Double Down on Holiday Programming, Halloween Through Christmas
Scripps Network is doubling down on its holiday programming. As part of its pitch to advertisers during the 2016 upfronts, the cable programmer ...

Stephanie Todd Upped to VP Programming at HLN
Stephanie Todd has been promoted to vp of programming at HLN. Todd, who has been with CNN Worldwide more than 20 years, will have oversight ...

3 reasons why Netflix doesn’t release ratings for its original programming
Impressively, Netflix over the past few years has successfully morphed from a company known for mailing out DVDs into a streaming juggernaut ...

New! Tech & Tools: #BlogHer16 Programming Track
I am a self-professed gadget girl. Technology and the tools that help us master technology thrill me as much as my shiny gadgets. This year at ...

Univision Charges AT&T With “Redlining” As Programming Goes Dark On U-Verse
Univision lost access to about 5.6 million U-Verse subscribers last night as the Spanish language broadcast company and AT&T failed to agree ...

Sunday Afternoon ESPN Programming Is Grim
There’s really something to be said for ESPN’s Sunday afternoon programming, when the Worldwide Leader cedes all sports coverage to the broadcast ...

It’s All About The Benjamins: Why Money Needs To Be A Bigger Theme In Our Family Programming
A lot of family sitcoms are missing one major element: a realistic portrayal of money. Here’s why having more financially focused families is ...