Detecting whether a specific filetype can be actioned

Hi,

I am writing a small application that will have its manual in text/HTML
format. What I want to be able to do is grey out the HTML option on a menu
if the system does't know about a browser.

What is the easiest way of checking for a browser,especially if one hasn't
been run by the user?

I had thought about checking for the filetypes, but I'm not sure whether
this is such a good idea. If this is the only way how do you read them? Is
it with OS ReadVarvals?

I want to, if possible keep it fairly simple and also not make any
assumptions as to which browsers are on any one system, so don't want to go
checking for runtime variables.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks
John
--
 __  __  __  __      __ ___   _____________________________________________
|__||__)/ __/  \|\ ||_   |   /  Internet access for all RISC OS machines
|  ||  \\__/\__/| \||__  |  /...jpeachey@argonet.co.uk
___________________________/    http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/jpeachey/

0
jpeachey (24)
7/13/2003 5:15:07 PM
comp.sys.acorn.programmer 2499 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In nuus:9b1277114c.john@user.argonet.co.uk,
J Peachey <jpeachey@argonet.co.uk> het getik:
> Hi,
>
> I am writing a small application that will have its manual in
> text/HTML format. What I want to be able to do is grey out the HTML
> option on a menu if the system does't know about a browser.
> What is the easiest way of checking for a browser,especially if one
> hasn't been run by the user?

Speaking totally as a non-(RISC OS) programmer:

Can't you just see if there is a Run type defined for HTML (&FAF , I think)
files?

Something like:

If Alias$RunType_FAF = "" then grey out menu item?

Ciao!

Samuel
--
Samuel Kock
Pretoria, South Africa

0
samuelk (86)
7/14/2003 8:45:34 PM
In message <9b1277114c.john@user.argonet.co.uk>
          J Peachey <jpeachey@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am writing a small application that will have its manual in text/HTML
> format. What I want to be able to do is grey out the HTML option on a menu
> if the system does't know about a browser.
>
> What is the easiest way of checking for a browser,especially if one hasn't
> been run by the user?
>
> I had thought about checking for the filetypes, but I'm not sure whether
> this is such a good idea. If this is the only way how do you read them? Is
> it with OS ReadVarvals?
>
> I want to, if possible keep it fairly simple and also not make any
> assumptions as to which browsers are on any one system, so don't want to go
> checking for runtime variables.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated
>
> Thanks
> John

If the OS variable Alias$@RunType_FAF exists then the system knows how
to run an html file.

From BASIC it would be

SYS XOS_ReadVarVal, "Alias$@RunType_FAF", 0, -1, 0, 4 TO ,,exists%

However, the Strong Help SWI manual entry is significantly different
from that in the Strong Help PRM manual so some experimentation may be
required.

--
Malcolm Boura
http://www.armage.demon.co.uk
   Samuel Kock <samuelk@depsammed.com> wrote:
> In nuus:9b1277114c.john@user.argonet.co.uk,
> J Peachey <jpeachey@argonet.co.uk> het getik:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am writing a small application that will have its manual in
> > text/HTML format. What I want to be able to do is grey out the HTML
> > option on a menu if the system does't know about a browser.
> > What is the easiest way of checking for a browser,especially if one
> > hasn't been run by the user?
>
> Speaking totally as a non-(RISC OS) programmer:
>
> Can't you just see if there is a Run type defined for HTML (&FAF , I think)
> files?

Agreed. In BASIC, that would look something like:

  SYS "XOS_ReadVarVal", "Alias$@RunType_FAF", 0, -1, 0, 0 TO ,, exist%
  IF exist% THEN
    PRINT "We have an HTML viewer of some sort"
  ELSE
    PRINT "No HTML viewer has been seen by the Filer"
  ENDIF

Note: the X SWI call because in this form, this SWI returns the "Buffer
overflow" error, which we ignore.

Steve

--
Steve Revill @ Home
Note: All opinions expressed herein are my own.
          Darren Salt <news@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid> wrote:

> I demand that J Peachey may or may not have written...
>
> > I am writing a small application that will have its manual in text/HTML
> > format. What I want to be able to do is grey out the HTML option on a menu
> > if the system does't know about a browser.
>
> > What is the easiest way of checking for a browser,especially if one hasn't
> > been run by the user?
>
> Check to see if Alias$@RunType_FAF has been defined.
>
> [snip]

Many thanks for all the replies. Quite easy really.
I assume that editors, such as Zap/Stronged should not set up these variables?
As I obviously wouldn't want the pages appearing in an editor.

Thanks

--
 __  __  __  __      __ ___   _____________________________________________
|__||__)/ __/  \|\ ||_   |   /  Internet access for all RISC OS machines
|  ||  \\__/\__/| \||__  |  /...jpeachey@argonet.co.uk
___________________________/    http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/jpeachey/

0
jpeachey (24)
7/16/2003 9:00:10 PM
In message <452f17134c.john@user.argonet.co.uk>
          J Peachey <jpeachey@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <4C12184513%news@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid>
>           Darren Salt <news@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid> wrote:
>
> > I demand that J Peachey may or may not have written...

> > > What is the easiest way of checking for a browser,especially if one
> > > hasn't been run by the user?
> >
> > Check to see if Alias$@RunType_FAF has been defined.
>
> Many thanks for all the replies. Quite easy really.
> I assume that editors, such as Zap/Stronged should not set up these
> variables? As I obviously wouldn't want the pages appearing in an
> editor.

Yes, that is correct. You would notice if they did. It would mean that
html files you double-click on in the Filer would end up in an editor.

A user could decided to set up his editor this way, but then he clearly
wants the editor to be his primary html viewer, so you should let him have
his way.

Martin
Martin Wuerthner       MW Software      martin@invalidMW-software.com
                                        remove "invalid" to reply
martin7551 (398)
7/17/2003 9:34:59 AM
In message <424a5c134c.martin@mw-software.com>
          Martin Wuerthner <martin@invalidMW-software.com.invalid> wrote:

> In message <452f17134c.john@user.argonet.co.uk>
>           J Peachey <jpeachey@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > In message <4C12184513%news@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid>
> >           Darren Salt <news@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > > I demand that J Peachey may or may not have written...

> > > Check to see if Alias$@RunType_FAF has been defined.
> >
> > Many thanks for all the replies. Quite easy really.
> > I assume that editors, such as Zap/Stronged should not set up these
> > variables? As I obviously wouldn't want the pages appearing in an
> > editor.
>
> Yes, that is correct. You would notice if they did. It would mean that
> html files you double-click on in the Filer would end up in an editor.
>
> A user could decided to set up his editor this way, but then he clearly
> wants the editor to be his primary html viewer, so you should let him have
> his way.
>
> Martin
Thanks Martin.

Now that I have it straight in my mind I'll get on and write the code.

Thanks to all who replied
John
--
 __  __  __  __      __ ___   _____________________________________________
|__||__)/ __/  \|\ ||_   |   /  Internet access for all RISC OS machines
|  ||  \\__/\__/| \||__  |  /...jpeachey@argonet.co.uk
___________________________/    http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/jpeachey/

0
jpeachey (24)

Programmers, Programmers, Programmers, ...
As Steve Balmer correctly stated, while making his monkey dance, it is applications and hence programmers that make a platform. The fact though is that if you want to do professional programming, then Linux is the platform for you. I know that this statement will get the heckels up on a lot of trolls in C.O.L.A, but I have a recent experience that proves this. I am currently working for a Windows only house producing a system that receives and transmits around 1000 telegrams per second in each direction on a UDP socket, translates them into a different format and creates a log entry for each ...

Can action query be restricted to specific table?
If I allow users to create a QueryDef by entering an sql statement in a text box, can I restrict that query to a specific table? Is there some way to throw an error based on what table a query attempts to update, or even selects from? > If I allow users to create a QueryDef by entering an sql statement in a text > box, can I restrict that query to a specific table? Is there some way to > throw an error based on what table a query attempts to update, or even > selects from? This seems to work, but other suggestions welcome... Public Function SafeQry(strSql As String, safeTbl As String) As Boolean On Error GoTo HandleErr Dim objRgx As Object Dim db As DAO.Database Dim tdf As DAO.TableDef Dim tdfs As DAO.TableDefs Set db = CurrentDb Set tdfs = db.TableDefs Set objRgx = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp") SafeQry = True For Each tdf In tdfs If tdf.Name <> safeTbl Then objRgx.Pattern = tdf.Name If objRgx.Test(strSql) Then SafeQry = False Exit For End If End If Next Exit_Here: On Error Resume Next Set objRgx = Nothing Set tdf = Nothing Set tdfs = Nothing Set db = Nothing Exit Function HandleErr: Resume Exit_Here End Function ...

How can I detect whether a LabVIEW Dialog box (primitive) is active?
I'm trying to detect when native LabVIEW dialog boxes are active on a local PC from another background LabVIEW VI. When I say native LabVIEW dialog box I mean either the "One (or Two) Button Dialog" primitives on the block diagram functions pallet. Does anyone know a way to do this (ActiveX or some kind of query to the OS maybe)? I noticed that it doesn't show up in the profile window, that might provide a clue. > I'm trying to detect when native LabVIEW dialog boxes are active on a > local PC from another background LabVIEW VI. When I say native > LabVIEW d...

How can I tell whether/which "default action" is occurring in Javascript?
I'm selecting table cell elements in a column by a drag-select type action: mousedown, mouseover, mouseup. Every so often I get a default- action occurring on the mouseover part of the drag-selection action which then stops the selection process but causes problems with the script. I'm not exactly sure which events default action is occurring and wonder whether this could be determined in script. ...

SYS$SPECIFIC and SYS$COMMON not enough?
Basically, the idea is that stuff specific to a given node will be in its SYS$SPECIFIC directory and stuff common to all nodes (satellites or not) booting from the same system disk will be in SYS$COMMON. A good idea as far as it goes, but does it go far enough? In particular, there are two additional categories, which I'll give the obvious names SYS$CLUSTER and SYS$WORLD. SYS$CLUSTER would include stuff common to all nodes in a cluster, i.e. would differ from SYS$COMMON if there is more than one system disk in the cluster. The obvious place for this stuff is somewhere which is not on ANY system disk. SYS$MANAGER:SYLOGICALS.TEMPLATE provides (at least in newer versions of VMS, starting with 7.2 I believe) a list of at least the most common candidates among VMS system files. Add to this procedures to mount disks in a cluster, SYLOGIN.COM etc. (Obviously, I'm thinking of a cluster where as much as possible is shared.) SYS$WORLD, on the other hand, would include stuff which is common to ALL VMS system disks in the world, e.g. the executables used by VMS itself. Obviously, this should be on EVERY system disk. Put another way, the current SYS$COMMON is a mixture of stuff common to all nodes which boot from that disk, stuff common to all VMS systems in the world and, if the stuff is not located somewhere else (pointed to by logicals in the case of VMS system files), stuff common to all nodes in the cluster (perhaps duplicated on more than one system...

Re: SYS$SPECIFIC and SYS$COMMON not enough? #2
> How weird - we did this as a different excercise to do upgrades off > line on the read only stuff, and swap it back in quickly. We also have > a third party product root to keep our own/third party stuff out of > SYS$SYSDEVICE:[VMS$COMMON...] tree, like a "/usr/local...". > > H sh lo sys$sysroot > "SYS$SYSROOT" = "$9$DKA0:[SYS0.]" (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE) > = "SYS$COMMON:" > 1 "SYS$COMMON" = "CLU$COMMON:" (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE) > = "VMS$COMMON:" > = "OUR$COMMON:" > 2 "CLU$COMMON" = "$9$DKA0:[SYS0.CLUCOMMON.]" (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE) > 2 "VMS$COMMON" = "$9$DKA0:[SYS0.SYSCOMMON.]" (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE) > 2 "OUR$COMMON" = "$9$DKA0:[SYS0.OURCOMMON.]" (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE) > > > $! R.P. Young 26-Jun-1991 > $! > $! Added cluster support to our environment by making > $! SYS$COMMON a search list, by including a CLU$COMMON > $! and moving OUR$COMMON from SYS$SYSROOT search list > $! to the SYS$COMMON search list. The CLU$COMMON is > $! required for non buildable cluster specific files > $! such As SYSUAF.DAT. Some questions: Why CLU$COMMON before VMS$COMMON in the search list? Logically, I would think one should first search in SYS$SPECIFIC (as you do), then in VMS$COMMON, then CLU$...

Action detection
How do i move a ball into a hole and will be detected through a series of text? "ET" <et_fka@yahoo.com.sg> wrote in message news:eed25f4.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP... > How do i move a ball into a hole and will be detected through a > series of text? help English "Brett Shoelson" <shoelson@helix.nih.gov> wrote in message news:dTI1c.152$Pp2.343@mencken.net.nih.gov... > > "ET" <et_fka@yahoo.com.sg> wrote in message > news:eed25f4.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP... > > How do i move a ball into a hole and will be detected through a > &...

Detecting Filetypes
Is there a command / code to detect which filetype a file is? I am using BBC BASIC! basically I want to detect if a file is Ogg/MP3/Wave, and use the correct player / Tag detection code. Cheers for any help in advance Michael On 25 Mar 2007 Michael Emerton <MichaelREmerton@_deleteme_hotmail.com> wrote: > Is there a command / code to detect which filetype a file is? > > I am using BBC BASIC! > > basically I want to detect if a file is Ogg/MP3/Wave, and use the > correct player / Tag detection code. SYS "OS_File", filesname$ TO object%,,,,,,filetype% Check object% is 1 to make sure the file exists, then filetype% is valid. For further information see the PRM's or the StrongHelp manuals. ---druck -- The ARM Club Free Software - http://www.armclub.org.uk/free/ The 32bit Conversions Page - http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/ On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 19:58:34 +0000, Michael Emerton wrote: > Is there a command / code to detect which filetype a file is? > > I am using BBC BASIC! > > basically I want to detect if a file is Ogg/MP3/Wave, and use the > correct player / Tag detection code. I don't know of a module callable from Basic that does this, but writing your own code to identify between those three formats wouldn't be difficult. (Perhaps somebody could port UNIX's 'file' command, which can accurately identify many hundreds of file formats from just their contents, and can be asked to spit...

Can I persuade Quark to map specific fonts to specific styles?
I have multiple Stone Sans fonts on my machine now, of different weights and in Italic and Regular styles. Is there any way to tell Quark XPress which font to use for which weight and style? In other words, can I force it to use ITC Stone Sans Medium for plain weight and style, ITC Stone Sans Semi for plain bold, ITC Stone Sans Medium Italic for italic normal weight, and so on? The idea being, of course, that I could use the style buttons to select the appropriate font, instead of explicitly picking the font off a list (which I guess really isn't so bad, but it does have some inconveniences). How does Quark decide how to group fonts together as multiple weights and styles of a single base font in its character dialog box? -- Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly. It's set within the font file, but a good font program will let you change the relationships so that they'll work with the style buttons. Check out the products from FontLab G "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:be14i05subjvv4qim055c675rqcqb49vgk@4ax.com... > I have multiple Stone Sans fonts on my machine now, of different weights > and in Italic and Regular styles. Is there any way to tell Quark XPress > which font to use for which weight and style? In other words, can I > force it to use ITC Stone Sans Medium for plain weight and style, ITC > Stone Sans Semi for plain bold, ITC Stone Sans Medium Italic for ...

config.sys corrupted; can't fix; can't start windows 2000
The computer attempts to open windows 2000 pro and gets hung up with the message that winn config.sus is corrupted. I tried booting from the win 2000 cd-rom and then creating floppy boot disks. The computer won't recognize or run off of these. Rename the Config.sys file in the root directly to ConfigOLD.sys. See if the machine will boot without it for now. Any release of NT should be able to. If you work out for sure that the Config.sys file is faulty, you can go in with your text editor, and troubleshoot it. You will need the base knowledge to work in this file. Jerry G. ======== labogart@juno.com (labogart) wrote in message news:<b8b70ec1.0408220100.5875b5c4@posting.google.com>... > The computer attempts to open windows 2000 pro and gets hung up with > the message that winn config.sus is corrupted. I tried booting from > the win 2000 cd-rom and then creating floppy boot disks. The computer > won't recognize or run off of these. ...

I would like to detect all the keyboard key is okay, but not every key can be detected by using LabVIEW example, keyboard keycode
I would like to detect all the keyboard key is okay, but not every key can be detected by LabVIEW example ( we can use ?basic input demo.vi?to detect normal key?. &nbsp; I want to detect some ?hot key? for example some keys exist in the upper part like ?search key???e-mail key???volumn control key?...etc. They are very often to be watched in some new keyboards, but we still don't know how to detect if their functions are okay. &nbsp; Can we detect&nbsp;signals of these ?hot key?&nbsp;in LabVIEW? We can apply&nbsp;these hot key's functions in XP, so we should detect their signal, I think, but I can't do it. &nbsp; I serach some information about this question, and somebody said we can&nbsp;detect&nbsp;hot key's signal&nbsp;by grabing ?keybode? these hot key feedback. But I don't know how to do these. I can't use VC. So anyone can give me a LabVIEW VI to grab keycode? Or any other solution we can detect all the key on the keyboard, including hot keys? &nbsp; Thanks! Regards, &nbsp; ...

Wishbone Specification in Action
Hi all! I have gone through the WISHBONE Specification for open-core ip SoC. I do understand the detail in there, however, I am lost as to how to implement the standard. I'd like to use the bus a communication framework for a set of softcore-instruments. Anyone with an example of how the specification can be translated into implementation? Thanks! "Gilbates" <nana.asante@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1192725978.602247.25610@q5g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > > Anyone with an example of how the specification can be translated into > implementation? > >...

EARN MONEY FROM YOUR HOME.last week i have earn 2,00,000 DOLLARS . it is a FREE money making programme.ANYONE CAN MAKE IT HERE. it is one of the leading online money making programme.JOIN WIT
EARN MONEY FROM YOUR HOME.last week i have earn 2,00,000 DOLLARS . it is a FREE money making programme.ANYONE CAN MAKE IT HERE. it is one of the leading online money making programme.JOIN WITH THE FREE MONEY MAKING PROGRAMME .the link is below http://jeeva235.blogspot.com/ MAKE MONEY HERE ...

EARN MONEY FROM YOUR HOME.last week i have earn 2,00,000 DOLLARS . it is a FREE money making programme.ANYONE CAN MAKE MONEY HERE. it is one of the leading online money making programme.JOIN WITH T
EARN MONEY FROM YOUR HOME.last week i have earn 2,00,000 DOLLARS . it is a FREE money making programme.ANYONE CAN MAKE MONEY HERE. it is one of the leading online money making programme.JOIN WITH THE FREE MONEY MAKING PROGRAMME .the link is below http://jeeva235.blogspot.com/ MAKE MONEY HERE ...

Detecting whether this is Linux or Windows ?
Is there a way within Tcl to tell whether this is Linux or Windows ? I need to produce something like: if os$ == "windows" then configfile = "c:\windows\config.ini" elseif os$ == "linux" then configfile = "/etc/config.ini" else puts "Damn, I don't know this os !" end endif Please advise. Regards, Mark. -- Mark Hobley 393 Quinton Road West QUINTON Birmingham B32 1QE Telephone: (0121) 247 1596 International: 0044 121 247 1596 Email: markhobley at hotpop dot donottypethisbit com http://markhobley.yi.org/ markhobley@hotpop.deletethisbit.com (Mark Hobley) writes: >Is there a way within Tcl to tell whether this is Linux or Windows ? >I need to produce something like: >if os$ == "windows" then > configfile = "c:\windows\config.ini" >elseif os$ == "linux" then > configfile = "/etc/config.ini" >else > puts "Damn, I don't know this os !" > end >endif Hi Mark, I use code like this: if { $tcl_platform(operating system) == "Darwin" } { set bigbtnfont "Lucinda 12" set modifier Command } else { set bigbtnfont "-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*" set modifier Control } ______________________________________________________________________________ Dr Chris McDona...

Can not detect the DIO signal ???
Hi all,, &nbsp; Help me,, Help me &nbsp; I&nbsp;connected the position detection sensor, load cell&nbsp;&nbsp;to DAQ- PCI6259 via counter input and analog input pins respectively. I used the same power supply for the sensors. I got data aldreadly for both Anolog and Digital Inputs. However, I did not notice that , some time I changed Power supply in level 9 V for both Digital and Analog signals. &nbsp; Now,, I could not get data from Digital Inputs.When i check the input voltalte at pins: &nbsp; 1. ON : Pin 17- Ground : 5V 2. OFF : PIN 17- Grounf : 2V ( It usually is 0V ) &nbsp; Is the problem caused by the much high voltage supplied for DIO??? &nbsp; &nbsp; Please help me &nbsp; Thuong &nbsp; Thank you for your reply. You undestood my problem correctly. It works properly right now due to I changed the power supply to 3 V. &nbsp; I have a question is When the Pulse is OFF (0 V) , the Voltage measured at 2 pin inputs is still near 1.3 V ( The power supply is 3 V) ?? &nbsp; Regards, &nbsp; Thuong &nbsp; &nbsp; ...

Where can I find NIVIUSBK.sys
Hello, I try to generate a driver for my device with NI VISA. But the generated driver wasn=B4t accepted by windows. In the generated *.inf file a file called NIVIUSBK.sys is mentioned. But it seems that this file is not even installed at my computer. I can =B4t find the file. Normally it should be in the System32 folder, but there is nothing. I think that the missing NIVIUSBK.sys is the reason why my driver don =B4t work. So where can I find the NIVIUSBK.sys. Can somebody send my the file? Thanks! Hai Spetznatz, <a href="http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&amp;message.id=151426" target="_blank">http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&amp;message.id=151426</a> Refer this thread for more information. Thank you for your fast answer! But I still don=B4t know where I can find the NiViUsbK.sys. Ok, the Link you sent my says: Quote: "It requires the installation of the NiViUsbK.sys device driver. This driver is installed from the INF file created by using the VISA Driver Development Wizard.!" It seems that VISA generated the file automatically. But the file must be saved somewhere, mustn=B4t? But where? Hai, &nbsp; Go through this link. &nbsp; <a href="http://www.ophiropt.com/laser/download/softwares/utilities.htm" target="_blank">http://www.ophiropt.com/laser/download/softwares/utilities.htm</a> &nbsp; <a href="http://www.ophiropt.co.il/lase...

Detect whether https possible
Is there a way using javascript to detect whether another page from the same domain can be accessed via https? I'd like to implement the following in the page http://www.mysite.com/index.html detect whether https to my site possible if https possible, offer user a link to https://wwww.mysite.com/buy_something.html if https not possible, e.g. because of proxy setting, offer user a paper form to download Pete ...

How can I detect what systemlanguage is running
Thanks "JR" <XXX.X@pandora.XXXX> wrote in message news:z2usb.19852$%67.694386@phobos.telenet-ops.be... > Thanks This should get you started (Paste into a Form): (Things will wrap... Each Debug.Print should be a single line...) -- Dag. '-------------------- Code: Option Explicit DefObj A-Z Private Declare Function GetLocaleInfo Lib "kernel32" Alias "GetLocaleInfoA" ( _ ByVal Locale As Long, _ ByVal LCType As Long, _ ByVal lpLCData As String, _ ByVal cchData As Long _ ) As Long Private Const LANG_NEUTRAL = &H0 Private Const LOCALE_ILANGUAGE = &H1 Private Const LOCALE_SLANGUAGE = &H2 Private Const LOCALE_SENGLANGUAGE = &H1001 Private Const LOCALE_SABBREVLANGNAME = &H3 Private Const LOCALE_SNATIVELANGNAME = &H4 Private Const LOCALE_ICOUNTRY = &H5 Private Const LOCALE_SCOUNTRY = &H6 Private Const LOCALE_SENGCOUNTRY = &H1002 Private Const LOCALE_SABBREVCTRYNAME = &H7 Private Const LOCALE_SNATIVECTRYNAME = &H8 Private Const LOCALE_IDEFAULTLANGUAGE = &H9 Private Const LOCALE_IDEFAULTCOUNTRY = &HA Private Const LOCALE_IDEFAULTCODEPAGE = &HB Private Const LOCALE_IDEFAULTANSICODEPAGE = &H1004 Private Sub Form_Load() Debug.Print "LOCALE_ILANGUAGE:" & vbTab & GetNLSInfo(LANG_NEUTRAL, LOCALE_ILANGUAGE) Debug.Print "LOCALE_SLANGUAGE:" & vbTab & GetNLSInfo(LANG_NEUTRAL, LOCALE_SLANGUAGE) Debug.Print "LOCALE_SE...

How can programmers improve their productivity
I thought I'd start a new thread for this one since it wasn't being a viable subthread of "What makes a (super-)programmer". What are the opinions people here regarding the best ways we can improve our productivity as programmers and be as "super" as each of us is able? On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 18:47:33 +0000, Steve Jorgensen wrote: > What are the opinions people here regarding the best ways we can improve our > productivity as programmers and be as "super" as each of us is able? Read code. Understand the basic idioms/patterns of your language. Think about making your code simple (preferrably before you write it). Write code in small chunks. Minimize the time between code writing and testing. If you have to intersperse a human language with your code, make sure it's grammatical and properly speeled [sic]. Eschew obfuscation. Practice. -- Frank A. Adrian Blue Roof Associates fadrian@blueroofassociates.com http://www.blueroofassociates.com On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 18:47:33 GMT, Steve Jorgensen <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote: >I thought I'd start a new thread for this one since it wasn't being a viable >subthread of "What makes a (super-)programmer". > >What are the opinions people here regarding the best ways we can improve our >productivity as programmers and be as "super" as each of us is able? Here's one item I just thought to insert. I'm sure there's a broader categor...

JMFRegistry can Not detect mywebcam
hi, i have problem with getting my camera detected by JMFRegistry. my camera : Vimicro USB Camera LTI301P the error message: Capture device query unsuccessful! on the console there is: DirectSound Capture Supported = false JavaSound Capture Supported = true JavaSoundAuto: Committed ok and on my code : Vector devices = CaptureDeviceManager.getDeviceList(vidformat); returns null; any one have idea how to solve this? thanx Ala' Eddin ...

can you use variables in actions?
I'm trying to create an action that I intend to run after I'm finished processing a TIF. I want it to save the full sized TIF; convert to sRGB 8bit JPG; save that; resize down to 800 max sides; save for web; resize down to 500 max sides; save that for web. Think I'm ok for most of it, but running into trouble with the filenames where it's "saving as". How do you think this can be done? eg original filename is filename.TIF save full sized jpg as filename.JPG save 800 max as filename-800.JPG save 500 max as filename-500.JPG or something like that. ...

How to detect whether a table exists or not?
Hi SAS users, =0D I have written a macro in SAS. Now on that macro I have facing problem in dealing with missing data in a 2x2 cell. I try to explain my problem in brief. =0D In case of 2x2 tables we can perform McNear test using proc freq (with agree option) and we also can produce output table containing the McNemar p value. Now when there is missing data in a cell of a 2x2 table we can not perform McNear test. On that case the output table containing in McNear P-value does not exist physically.=0D =0D For example:=0D Proc freq data=3Dtable1; Table base*post/agree; Output agree out=...

how to detect whether a proc has exited
How to detect whether a proc has exited inside the same file? e.g. proc loop {count} { puts "count $count" for {set i 1} {$i < $count} {incr i 1} { puts "$i" after 1000 } } set pids [pid [loop 10]] set r [exec kill 0 $pids] puts "pids $pids" puts "r $r" output is: count 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 can not find channel named "" while executing "pid [loop 10]" invoked from within "set pids [pid [loop 10]]" (file "process.tcl" line 42) How to fix the problem? Thanks. I only want to detect whether a procedure (e.g. loop) has finished inside the same file. If the procedure has not finished, then display a "please wait..." message on screen. What should be done? "Gerald W. Lester" <gerald.lester@cox.net> wrote in message news:<clGYa.10125$ug.3178@lakeread01>... > TingChong wrote: > > How to detect whether a proc has exited inside the same file? > > e.g. > > > > proc loop {count} { > > puts "count $count" > > for {set i 1} {$i < $count} {incr i 1} { > > puts "$i" > > after 1000 > > } > > } > > > > set pids [pid [loop 10]] > >... > > can not find channel named "" > > while executing > > "pid [loop 10]" > > invoked from within > > "set pids...

Web resources about - Detecting whether a specific filetype can be actioned - comp.sys.acorn.programmer

Methods of detecting exoplanets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Any planet is an extremely faint light source compared to its parent star . In addition to the intrinsic difficulty of detecting such a faint ...

Detecting unauthorized cross-app resource access on OS X
Last week, Luyi Xing, a Ph.D. student from Indiana University Bloomington and his colleagues released a research paper on several vulnerabilities ...

METAL DETECTING A RARE SAXON COIN OF BURGRED - YouTube
ON A LARGE FORTY ACRE FIELD I MANAGED TO DETECT A RARE SAXON PENNY OF THE MERCIAN KING BURGRED. If you look at the coin close up you will see ...

Gold Coast Suns detecting 'a trickle of respect'
... produce a quarter "as good as we've played" in its first win at Etihad Stadium at the weekend Gold Coast chief executive Travis Auld is detecting ...

Detecting APT Activity with Network Traffic Analysis

Malware-detecting 'sandboxing' technology no silver bullet - Palo Alto, mcafee, trend micro, security ...
The security technology called "sandboxing" aims at detecting malware code by subjecting it to run in a computer-based system of one type of ...

Researchers close to developing a blood test for detecting Alzheimer’s
A team of scientists say they are getting closer to detecting Alzheimer’s antibodies at the preclinical stage, giving patients an opportunity ...

Threat-detecting surveillence cameras among first start-up projects to benefit from local Microsoft Innovation ...
South Australia's start-up support initiatives give funding to system that foils armed hold-ups by locking the shop doors to suspicious people. ...

Detecting APT Activity with Network Traffic Analysis

Shrimp's eyes inspire new cancer-detecting camera
Shrimps' eyes have been revealed as the latest weapon against cancer, with their unique vision set to be adapted to diagnostic cameras.