Filer_opendir

I have noticed an intetresting behaviour of Filer_Opendir.

Accouring to the PRM it always opens a directory fully on-screen. This
is true the first time the command is executed. However if the command
is repeated (i.e. when the directory is already displayed) the
directory moves to the coordinates in the command, even if that is
partly or entirely off-screen.

Changing screen mode brings them back on-screen fortunately.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@adamshome.org.uk

Alan Adams, on 11 Oct, wrote:

> I have noticed an intetresting behaviour of Filer_Opendir.
>
> Accouring to the PRM it always opens a directory fully on-screen. This is
> true the first time the command is executed. However if the command is
> repeated (i.e. when the directory is already displayed) the directory
> moves to the coordinates in the command, even if that is partly or
> entirely off-screen.

That does sound like a bug. It happens on both OS5.23 and OS4.39. (Normally
Windows are configured not to go off screen here which evades the issue.)

> Changing screen mode brings them back on-screen fortunately.

A Filer_CloseDir helps.

--
David Pitt
0
   Alan Adams <alan@adamshome.org.uk> wrote:

> Accouring to the PRM it always opens a directory fully on-screen.
> This is true the first time the command is executed. However if
> the command is repeated (i.e. when the directory is already
> displayed) the directory moves to the coordinates in the command,
> even if that is partly or entirely off-screen.

I have noticed that simply double clicking on a directory in a filer
window will often open the directory partly off screen. Seems to be
related to the file path getting longer in the title bar as you go
down the directory tree.

--
Chris Johnson
0
On 11/10/2016 16:44, David Pitt wrote:
> Alan Adams, on 11 Oct, wrote:
>
>> I have noticed an intetresting behaviour of Filer_Opendir.
>>
>> Accouring to the PRM it always opens a directory fully on-screen. This is
>> true the first time the command is executed. However if the command is
>> repeated (i.e. when the directory is already displayed) the directory
>> moves to the coordinates in the command, even if that is partly or
>> entirely off-screen.
>
> That does sound like a bug. It happens on both OS5.23 and OS4.39. (Normally
> Windows are configured not to go off screen here which evades the issue.)

No, sounds like the intended behaviour. The window position is only
checked for being on screen when the window is first opened, after that
it can be moved off screen (if the appropriate Window manager
configuration is set), just as if the user moved it with the mouse.

>> Changing screen mode brings them back on-screen fortunately.

Again, the intended behaviour to stop you loosing windows off screen
when you change to a smaller screen mode.

!Workspace which hides windows which aren't on the current workspace in
off screen locations, has to force them all back off whenever there is a
mode change.

---druck

0
druck
10/11/2016 5:47:52 PM
Druck  wrote on 11 Oct:
> !Workspace which hides windows which aren't on the current workspace
> in off screen locations, has to force them all back off whenever there
> is a mode change.

I always have Workspace on the iconbar, and am often thankful that its
menu includes "Fetch window".

--
Jim Nagel                        www.archivemag.co.uk
>> "from" address is genuine but will change.  website has current one.
|| See you at the show?  www.wakefieldshow.org.uk  April 16
0
Jim
10/21/2016 11:15:53 AM
Alan Adams  wrote on 11 Oct:
> I have noticed an intetresting behaviour of Filer_Opendir. ...

While on the subject of Filer_opendir, I wish that its various
switches (for small icons, sort by date etc etc) also included one to
correspond to CTRL-doubleclicking a directory:

i.e., to open the directory WITHOUT executing any !boot files that the
directory might contain.

Other than this one item, filer_opendir offers a comprehensive match
for mouse-clicks on directories, so I'm surprised by the omission.