Is this right?

Am I right in making these assumptions?

When an application is linked to the shared C library it
calls XSharedCLibrary_LibInitAPCS_32, and this fills
in the stubs (that initially look like lots of MOV PC,#0
instructions) with branches to entry points of code
inside the CLib module.

Branches must be to addresses within + or - 8Mb, there
being only 24 bitsworth of offset in the branch instruction.

Ergo, the CLib module must be stored within 8Mb of the area
in which applications run.

--
Gavin Wraith (gavin@wra1th.plus.com)
Home page: http://www.wra1th.plus.com/

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 13:41:22 +0100, Gavin Wraith wrote:

> Am I right in making these assumptions?
>
> When an application is linked to the shared C library it
> calls XSharedCLibrary_LibInitAPCS_32, and this fills
> in the stubs (that initially look like lots of MOV PC,#0
> instructions) with branches to entry points of code
> inside the CLib module.
>
> Branches must be to addresses within + or - 8Mb, there
> being only 24 bitsworth of offset in the branch instruction.
>
> Ergo, the CLib module must be stored within 8Mb of the area
> in which applications run.

Hmm.  Interesting question.  I always seem to recall them being branches,
but it can't be that simple for precisely the reasons you describe.

Are you sure they're branches, rather than say, a load of LDR PC,
someaddress, where someaddress is near the trampoline and is also filled
in by the Shared C Library?

(I don't have a RISC OS box handy to check.)

B.

0
nntp550 (4244)
10/6/2006 2:36:09 PM
Gavin Wraith wrote:
> Am I right in making these assumptions?
>
> When an application is linked to the shared C library it
> calls XSharedCLibrary_LibInitAPCS_32, and this fills
> in the stubs (that initially look like lots of MOV PC,#0
> instructions) with branches to entry points of code
> inside the CLib module.
>
> Branches must be to addresses within + or - 8Mb, there
> being only 24 bitsworth of offset in the branch instruction.

Instructions are always word aligned. The offset is effectively 26bit,
with the lower 2 bits obtained by left shifting the offset two places.

> Ergo, the CLib module must be stored within 8Mb of the area
> in which applications run.

The real restriction is plus/minus 32Mb.

(Which is only an issue with a 32bit-PC OS)

> --
> Gavin Wraith (gavin@wra1th.plus.com)
> Home page: http://www.wra1th.plus.com/

--
Matthew

In message <1160147073.381903.154100@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>
          "Matthew Wightman" <matthew.wightman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Gavin Wraith wrote:
>> Am I right in making these assumptions?
>>
>> When an application is linked to the shared C library it
>> calls XSharedCLibrary_LibInitAPCS_32, and this fills
>> in the stubs (that initially look like lots of MOV PC,#0
>> instructions) with branches to entry points of code
>> inside the CLib module.
>>
>> Branches must be to addresses within + or - 8Mb, there
>> being only 24 bitsworth of offset in the branch instruction.
>
> Instructions are always word aligned. The offset is effectively 26bit,
> with the lower 2 bits obtained by left shifting the offset two places.

Yes, this means that in 26-bit mode, ANY address can be reached with a
branch from any other address because the program counter only has a
26-bit range, too.

>> Ergo, the CLib module must be stored within 8Mb of the area
>> in which applications run.
>
> The real restriction is plus/minus 32Mb.

It would be if branches were used, but branches are only used in
26-bit mode. In RISC OS 5, the RMA is about 512MB away from
application space, so branches are out of the question. Instead, as
Rob suggested, the instruction LDR PC,xxx is used, which does not have
any range restriction.

Martin
Martin Wuerthner         MW Software      http://www.mw-software.com/
   ArtWorks 2 -- Designing stunning graphics has never been easier
spamtrap@mw-software.com      [replace "spamtrap" by "info" to reply]
0
spamtrap3075 (2307)
10/6/2006 3:40:58 PM
In message <e8b1a0714e.martin@bach.planiverse.com>
          Martin Wuerthner <spamtrap@mw-software.com> wrote:

> It would be if branches were used, but branches are only used in
> 26-bit mode. In RISC OS 5, the RMA is about 512MB away from
> application space, so branches are out of the question. Instead, as
> Rob suggested, the instruction LDR PC,xxx is used, which does not have
> any range restriction.

Thanks, Rob, Matthew, Martin. That clears up two of my
misconceptions.

Another query: has anybody made any other shared libraries (in RISC OS,
of course) apart from the standard C library? Of course, lots of
applications use modules as a resource, but I am thinking of this
business of filling in an array of LDR PC,xxx instructions as a faster
alternative to SWI calls. Has anybody made a tool to take an AOF
file of relocatable code, with no external dependencies except to
the shared C library, and convert it to a shareable library module?

--
Gavin Wraith (gavin@wra1th.plus.com)
Home page: http://www.wra1th.plus.com/
0
gavin4770 (200)
10/6/2006 4:07:18 PM
In message <241ba3714e.wra1th@wra1th.plus.com>
          Gavin Wraith <gavin@wra1th.plus.com> wrote:

> Another query: has anybody made any other shared libraries (in RISC OS,
> of course) apart from the standard C library? Of course, lots of
> applications use modules as a resource, but I am thinking of this
> business of filling in an array of LDR PC,xxx instructions as a faster
> alternative to SWI calls.

It is difficult to come up with a good scenario when that would really
be necessary. In most cases a SWI call is fast enough, most notably in
the case when the called routine does some non-trivial amount of work.
If you really need to call a specific library routine very frequently,
you can add a SWI to the module that returns the address of the
routine. Then, the caller can call it directly without the SWI call
overhead.

> Has anybody made a tool to take an AOF file of relocatable code, with
> no external dependencies except to the shared C library, and convert
> it to a shareable library module?

Not that I know of. If you want fully transparent shared libraries
with fast function calls, I suggest waiting for the ELF-based GCC
toolchain that is under development at the moment. It will do exactly
what you want out of the box.

Martin
Martin Wuerthner         MW Software      http://www.mw-software.com/
   ArtWorks 2 -- Designing stunning graphics has never been easier
spamtrap@mw-software.com      [replace "spamtrap" by "info" to reply]
0
spamtrap3075 (2307)
10/6/2006 6:25:07 PM
On 6 Oct 2006 Martin Wuerthner <spamtrap@mw-software.com> wrote:
> In message <241ba3714e.wra1th@wra1th.plus.com>
>           Gavin Wraith <gavin@wra1th.plus.com> wrote:
>> In message <e8b1a0714e.martin@bach.planiverse.com>
>>           Martin Wuerthner <spamtrap@mw-software.com> wrote:
>> > It would be if branches were used, but branches are only used in
>> > 26-bit mode. In RISC OS 5, the RMA is about 512MB away from
>> > application space, so branches are out of the question. Instead, as
>> > Rob suggested, the instruction LDR PC,xxx is used, which does not have
>> > any range restriction.

It should be noted that the 32bit compatible stubs needs to contain
8 bytes for each entry point rather than 4, to enable it to be filled with
both the LDR PC,[PC,offset] instruction, and the actual routine address
address which that instruction loads.

> > Another query: has anybody made any other shared libraries (in RISC OS,
> > of course) apart from the standard C library? Of course, lots of
> > applications use modules as a resource, but I am thinking of this
> > business of filling in an array of LDR PC,xxx instructions as a faster
> > alternative to SWI calls.
>
> It is difficult to come up with a good scenario when that would really
> be necessary. In most cases a SWI call is fast enough, most notably in
> the case when the called routine does some non-trivial amount of work.

The main advantage is that the code in the shared library then runs in user
mode, rather than SVC mode making any crashes less likely to be fatal. The
library code could also use facilities of the main programs runtime such as
memory allocation for the stack and heap, rather than the rather limited
stack space which is afforded to C code running in SVC mode, and heap taken
from the RMA.

> If you really need to call a specific library routine very frequently,
> you can add a SWI to the module that returns the address of the
> routine. Then, the caller can call it directly without the SWI call
> overhead.

This is done for a few critical assembler routines, but I don't know of much
APCS compatible code which can be called directly by C/C++.

> > Has anybody made a tool to take an AOF file of relocatable code, with
> > no external dependencies except to the shared C library, and convert
> > it to a shareable library module?

Not that I know of. The only really worth while candidates would be something
like UnixLib for the same reason as SCL is. The same sort of stub mechanism
could have been copied and used there, but it probably wasn't consider worth
the effort at the time.

> Not that I know of. If you want fully transparent shared libraries
> with fast function calls, I suggest waiting for the ELF-based GCC
> toolchain that is under development at the moment. It will do exactly
> what you want out of the box.

I've only used the recently released version a little, but it seems to work
well.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
10/6/2006 7:08:44 PM
In message <a2b7b3714e.druck@druck.freeuk.net>
          druck <news@druck.freeuk.com> wrote:

> It should be noted that the 32bit compatible stubs needs to contain
> 8 bytes for each entry point rather than 4, to enable it to be filled
> with both the LDR PC,[PC,offset] instruction, and the actual routine
> address which that instruction loads.

Thanks. I had worked that one out :).

> > It is difficult to come up with a good scenario when that would
> > really be necessary. In most cases a SWI call is fast enough,
> > most notably in the case when the called routine does some
> > non-trivial amount of work.
>
> The main advantage is that the code in the shared library then runs
> in user mode, rather than SVC mode making any crashes less likely to
> be fatal. The library code could also use facilities of the main
> programs runtime such as memory allocation for the stack and heap,
> rather than the rather limited stack space which is afforded to C
> code running in SVC mode, and heap taken from the RMA.

The use I have in mind is the Lua core library and its standard
auxiliary libraries. The idea of Lua is to link it in to other
applications. For example, I did this with PDFLib to produce a
way of scripting PDF files. A previous version of RiscLua I implemented
as a relocatable module, but I reverted to making it an application when
I found problems with error handling in the module version. The Lua
core is very robust for error handling, as embedded software has to be.
So I would keep the outer interpreter of RiscLua, and the libraries that
provide SWI calling, as part of an application, with the safe stuff
provided as a shareable library. My Weave website construction
application uses Lua, so, at least for me, it makes sense to have the
Lua core as a shareable resource.

> > Not that I know of. If you want fully transparent shared libraries
> > with fast function calls, I suggest waiting for the ELF-based GCC
> > toolchain that is under development at the moment. It will do
> > exactly what you want out of the box.
>
> I've only used the recently released version a little, but it seems
> to work well.

I must knuckle down to experiment with it. Most Lua addons, and in fact
the Lua package library, assume that you have dynamic linking.

--
Gavin Wraith (gavin@wra1th.plus.com)
Home page: http://www.wra1th.plus.com/
0
gavin4770 (200)
10/6/2006 9:19:55 PM
On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 22:19:55 +0100, Gavin Wraith wrote:

> I must knuckle down to experiment with it. Most Lua addons, and in fact
> the Lua package library, assume that you have dynamic linking.

Perhaps time to investigate rink?  It's not an implementation of shared
libraries, but it is dynamic linking.  It may solve your problem, but I've
never looked at it closely.  It might be possible to adapt Lua's shared
object loading to use it.  Hey, if it can be adapted to work with Mac OS
X's insane SO system, it can be adapted to use any :)

B.
0
nntp550 (4244)

Programmers, Programmers, Programmers, ...
As Steve Balmer correctly stated, while making his monkey dance, it is applications and hence programmers that make a platform. The fact though is that if you want to do professional programming, then Linux is the platform for you. I know that this statement will get the heckels up on a lot of trolls in C.O.L.A, but I have a recent experience that proves this. I am currently working for a Windows only house producing a system that receives and transmits around 1000 telegrams per second in each direction on a UDP socket, translates them into a different format and creates a log entry for each ...

RISCOS/Acorn Eprom programmer
Hi, Does anyone know where I can get an EPROM programmer for a RISCOS 3.11 A5000? Must blow up to 256Kbit bog standard ST EPROMs. Cheers all, - Chris. In message <3fdd0a07$0$10357$fa0fcedb@lovejoy.zen.co.uk> "Chris Smith" <chris@FARPinfinitemonkeys.org.uk> wrote: > Hi, > > Does anyone know where I can get an EPROM programmer for a RISCOS 3.11 > A5000? Must blow up to 256Kbit bog standard ST EPROMs. Did you try IFEL's web site ? I think they were selling one not so long ago <http://users.argonet.co.uk/ifel> (or there abouts) -- J�r�me Mathevet On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 01:10:31 -0000, "Chris Smith" <chris@FARPinfinitemonkeys.org.uk> wrote: >Hi, > >Does anyone know where I can get an EPROM programmer for a RISCOS 3.11 >A5000? Must blow up to 256Kbit bog standard ST EPROMs. What'd you be willing to pay ? John Kortink -- Email : kortink@inter.nl.net Homepage : http://www.inter.nl.net/users/J.Kortink ViewFinder, the high performance graphics card for RISC PC's : visit http://www.windfall.nl for more details and pricing. ...

The Right Way to Design a Programme
Hello. I'm starting university this year but as a summer project, I've decided to develop quite a big system in Common Lisp. I'm using Common Lisp Object System for all my OO needs. I've realised that if I try to programme it without any previous planning, then I cannot keep consistency. I want to ask of a few methods in engineering the system to be programmed. I heard the Dijkstra said that one should not use visual methods. I am asking this before starting university because I am sure that they'll try to get me to use UML. What are _your_ preferred methods of design? Than...

Right time at the right place.
Hello fellow computer and internet user, Its our time to EARN residual income from the computer repair and internet expensis we have.I don't want to waste important your time, just give me a chance to reveal these honest to goodness "Internet Money Earning Secrets!". Our system is AUTOMATED so you don't have to worry about personal rejection. And, when you do find someone who's really serious about improving their finances, our automated system presents your business opportunity to them, one step at a time. People that have read this same email just 1-2 months ago, are now making the kind of income they knew they were worth! What would you do, and whom would you spend your time with, when you're earning the kind of profits you'd like? It's easy to get started as a FREE member NO OBLIGATION. Just Email me. Ferdinand_arche@yahoo.com with subjext line "Register me for free demo" and please include your: First name: Last Name: Country you represent: And just check your inbox for confirmation. If you don't want the business,you can unsubscribe anytime. Sincerely, Ferdinand Arche ***************************************************************** Note: Just hit reply with " REMOVE" in the subject for no further emails. ...

Microsoft and rights management. right...
What M$ has in store for you. http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/2003/9/25/101437/094 -- Regards, JP "The measure of a man is what he will do while expecting that he will get nothing in return!" Macintosh for productivity. Linux for servers. Palm/Visor for mobility. Windows to feed the Black Hole in your IT budget In article <jpolaski-457F9F.17031301102003@netnews.attbi.com>, Jim Polaski wrote: > What M$ has in store for you. > > http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/2003/9/25/101437/094 Gosh...Microsoft providing what the customers want. How evil of them. -- Evidence Eliminator is worthless. See evidence-eliminator-sucks.com --Tim Smith In article <t7%fb.2706$Qy2.138@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net>, Tim Smith <reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> wrote: > In article <jpolaski-457F9F.17031301102003@netnews.attbi.com>, Jim Polaski > wrote: > > What M$ has in store for you. > > > > http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/2003/9/25/101437/094 > > Gosh...Microsoft providing what the customers want. How evil of them. I hope you had your tongue firmly in cheek when you typed that! <G> I saw this the other day and figure out I'll handle it just like I handle unwanted callers on my phone and spam in my email, only a bit more forcefully. Should I receive one of these idiot secure documents or email, just bounce them right back! But a question arises, if it is 'secure' but only can...

Manual for Acorn Desktop C (repost from c.s.a.programmer)
I've got one set of manuals - well I had the discs as well, but have disposed of them - for Acorn ANSI C release 4. I'm about to dispose of the manuals as well; unless somebody has a use for them. I'm after =A310 to cover carriage and handling. If nobody replies before 1pm, i'll be disposing of them via the trash... Dave ...

sys
Is it OT here to talk about IPC and pipes? Or are all aspects of kernle programming ok here? Bill Bill Cunningham <nospam@nspam.com> wrote: > Is it OT here to talk about IPC and pipes? Or are all aspects of kernle > programming ok here? If you want to discuss how IPC and pipes are implemented in the kernel it's completely ok. But if you're interested in how to use IPC or pipes from a userland program then posting to e.g. comp.unix.programmer or comp.os.linux.development.apps will probably make a lot more sense. R...

sys
computer common oriented http://www.freewebs.com/buildem/ http://amigos.com/go/g904313-pmem ...

work for Calrion programmer (programmer needed)
Hi, we need a Clarion programmer to do some work in Calrion environment (need to fix some things in Clarion database) please e-mail to nick@primedebtsoft.com What kind of things? Is this extensive or just a simple verify app? How much? -- Thanks, John Hamilton POSitive Software Company http://www.gopositive.com "PrimeDebt Soft" <sal@primedebtsoft.com> wrote in message news:f408276d.0307281220.4951036f@posting.google.com... > Hi, > > we need a Clarion programmer to do some work in Calrion environment > (need to fix some things in Clarion database) > > please e-mail to nick@primedebtsoft.com ...

Z1300 Update: InkStop Does Right, but Are They Right?
Well, I hauled the nonfunctioning Lexmark 34/35 "compatibles" back to InkStop this afternoon. Guess Kid Behind the Counter from Saturday must be back in school. His BIg Sister, who sold me the original pair, was back. Only today she was accompanied by Gramps, who I guess runs the place. Both of them repeated Kid's suggestion that I trade in their cartridges for a pair of OEMs, but to their credit and their company's, they didn't hesitate to refund my money when I told them I'd already bought OEMs elsewhere. Anyway, Gramps says they get around 4 per cent ...

The right criticisms for the right OS (and/or its users)
I'm sure everyone will agree that Windows 7 flat-out rocks. No? Well, get a life, then. But yeah, Vista was the Windows Me of NT- based OSes, and now they're quickly putting XP out to pasture, when it's still the most widely used OS, and those are fair criticisms of Microsoft. (Then again, in Vista's case, they would have at some point had to release it - and it never would've gotten good enough until after it was released. That's unfortunately part of the game they were playing, but it was worth it to get past the initial rewrite, and achieve Win7. The NT/2000/XP codebase was indeed too burdened to build on, not that that implies anything about XP or its predecessors, which were part of the gradual transition into modern computing.) But to all the Unix geekwads (and no, that *isn't* a criticism of the software *itself*) who want to attack MS over their OEM licensing (among other ass-pulled-from stuff), just realize that you're wrong. Why are nearly all competitively priced computers only sold with Windows? Well, do you know *anything* about business, or do you just assume that it must be Microsoft's alleged bullying? The OEMs benefit from that licensing. It's called volume. They get discounted, widely usable software, they churn out hundreds of identical machines, people get a bargain - no doubt *cheaper* than offering options would be, for the same hardware. If you don't want the software, it's called formatting. W...

Acorn Publisher / Acorn User / Qercus
By now some people should have received their copy of Qercus - ie issue 268 of Acorn User or vol 10 issue 1 of Acorn Publisher. The additional printing numbers and distribution is new to us so we're not sure how long it will take to get to all subscribers or to be available in the shops. Some bulk mailings to overseas customers may not go until next week. Our experience so far with the database we inherited from Tau Press is that some customers will receive duplicate copies of the magazine whilst others will not receive one at all. We have been working hard to put right as many errors as we could identify but we know there are still some problems remaining. If you receive an extra issue will you please let us know and tell us which reference numbers are on the two (three/four!) labels so that we can put it right for next time. Please don't return any copies - donate duplicates to a friend, library, dentist/doctor's waiting room &c If you don't receive your copy (UK) then please do not let us know until the middle of next week; we have arranged to do *another* sweep of the database after the SW Show and may have sorted out outstanding problems by the time you call. Whilst far-flung Acorn User subscribers should receive their copies faster than before they should give it an extra week at least before reporting non-receipt. For this occasion reminders have been sent separately from the magazine and should have already been received by UK subscribers who n...

com.sys & vcom.sys
It's been a while since I last installed 1.1 and when I did it yesterday I forgot to de-select Ray Gwinn's com drivers. After installation I removed the entries from config.sys and un-remmed com.sys and vcom.sys but they won't load. I checked and it's in c:/os2/boot. What's the cure? :-) Wayne -- While the e-mail address in this post is genuine it is only used as a spamtrap. Any mail sent to me at this address will be considered to be spam and deleted without being read. Wayne wrote: > It's been a while since I last installed 1.1 and when I > did it yesterday I forgot to de-select Ray Gwinn's com > drivers. After installation I removed the entries from > config.sys and un-remmed com.sys and vcom.sys but they > won't load. I checked and it's in c:/os2/boot. What's > the cure? :-) They must come after mouse/vmouse/pointdd device drivers in the config.sys file. Stu/2 On Tuesday 05 Oct 2004 17:06 Stewart Buckingham wrote: >> It's been a while since I last installed 1.1 and when I >> did it yesterday I forgot to de-select Ray Gwinn's com >> drivers. After installation I removed the entries from >> config.sys and un-remmed com.sys and vcom.sys but they >> won't load. I checked and it's in c:/os2/boot. What's >> the cure? :-) > > They must come after mouse/vmouse/pointdd device drivers in the > config.sys file. I believe they are, I checked while I was...

SQLRef
Dear All Software Developers, I am a hardcore programmer who treat programming as a hobby. Recently, I have just created a website (http://www.sqlref.com) to share my knowledge and programming experience and to record down any new tricks that I learned. This website started with SQL info. becaue I think SQL is the most basic but must know thing for all software developers. Eventually, I will make this website covers other topics such as .NET, SQL Server, Oracle, DB2 and so on. I will update it everyday. I think all developers should be able to access the SQL reference / Guide at any time, any place. Thus, I created this website for anybody who need reference on SQL. While you are doing programming and stuck with the SQL syntax, just open you web browser and type http://www.sqlref.com to look for you answer. I guess sqlref.com is easy enought to remember. No registration is required because I am not selling or marketing anything. Just a website for programmers to refer. I hope the website is useful to you all. Enjoy! Warmest Regards, Allen A hardcore programmer using Frontpage to build an ad-ridden site? Nice, real classy. <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="_themes/blends-sql-ref/blen1011.css"><meta name="Microsoft Theme" content="blends-sql-ref 1011"> Thanks for your effort...site almost did not load in Firefox, and loading in FF is probably also a hard-core criterion...I imagine FP is what y...

SYSMAN: No SYS$SCRATCH/SYS$LOGIN ?
$ mc sysman SYSMAN> set env/node=velo %SYSMAN-I-ENV, current command environment: Individual nodes: VELO Username JFMEZEI will be used on nonlocal nodes SYSMAN> do show log sys$scratch %SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node VELO %SHOW-S-NOTRAN, no translation for logical name SYS$SCRATCH SYSMAN> There is also no SYS$LOGIN defined. (VAX 7,3 and Alpha 8.3) What is the reason behind the lack of those logicals ? JF Mezei wrote: > $ mc sysman > SYSMAN> set env/node=velo > %SYSMAN-I-ENV, current command environment: > Individual nodes:...

setuid right without execution rights
Hello, I saw that you can give setuid rights to a file without execution right. What's the point of this ? In article <422d7f6d$0$17144$636a15ce@news.free.fr>, Jeremy <sargon@no-log.org.spamno> wrote: > Hello, > I saw that you can give setuid rights to a file without execution right. > What's the point of this ? What OS are we talking about? The way you talk about this leads me to believe you may not come from a UNIX background. On MacOS X, the chmod man page says (the set-user-ID-on-execution bit) Executable files with this bit set will run w...

what does SHIFT-left-or-right of up-down-left-right do?
Well, I know about shift up-and-down: shift-right ("red" or whatever) up and down on choose-box, HIST, things like that, take the cursor all the way to the beginning or the end. shift-left ("white") on up and down scroll the screen-full up or down (the FIRST such click *stupidly* goes to the final CURRENTLY-ON-SCREEN choice or whatever (meaning TWO double-button-pushes to scroll-down that FIRST time.) What are some of the OTHER possibilities, ie with the left and right arrows? Oh, apparantely undocumented, I've found (via mistaken key-pushes) that RIGHT-arrow will do a SWAP (on stack), and that an UP-arrow gets you into HIST (that HIST is *one nice feature*!) Other tricks with those arrows? Thanks! David David Combs wrote: > Well, I know about shift up-and-down: > > shift-right ("red" or whatever) up and down on > choose-box, HIST, things like that, take the > cursor all the way to the beginning or the end. > > shift-left ("white") on up and down scroll the > screen-full up or down (the FIRST such click > *stupidly* goes to the final CURRENTLY-ON-SCREEN > choice or whatever (meaning TWO double-button-pushes > to scroll-down that FIRST time.) > > > What are some of the OTHER possibilities, ie with the > left and right arrows? > > > Oh, apparantely undocumented,...

com.sys and usbser.sys question
I got a question, for those knowing more about that matter than myself, which shouldn't be hard ;-) Temporarily having 2 phone lines at my disposal, I wanted to put my old modem back to use as a phone number dialer, using the BonusPack PIM Phonebook application. But I had quite some trouble to get my COM1 port to work at all with any comm application. It finally turned out, that COM.SYS has to be loaded before USBSER.SYS, since otherwise USBSER.SYS is hijacking COM1 unnoticed. Now, in the order shown below, it assigns itself to COM6 (if not remed out), but COM1 still d...

SYS$SPECIFIC and SYS$COMMON not enough?
Basically, the idea is that stuff specific to a given node will be in its SYS$SPECIFIC directory and stuff common to all nodes (satellites or not) booting from the same system disk will be in SYS$COMMON. A good idea as far as it goes, but does it go far enough? In particular, there are two additional categories, which I'll give the obvious names SYS$CLUSTER and SYS$WORLD. SYS$CLUSTER would include stuff common to all nodes in a cluster, i.e. would differ from SYS$COMMON if there is more than one system disk in the cluster. The obvious place for this stuff is somewhere which is not on ANY system disk. SYS$MANAGER:SYLOGICALS.TEMPLATE provides (at least in newer versions of VMS, starting with 7.2 I believe) a list of at least the most common candidates among VMS system files. Add to this procedures to mount disks in a cluster, SYLOGIN.COM etc. (Obviously, I'm thinking of a cluster where as much as possible is shared.) SYS$WORLD, on the other hand, would include stuff which is common to ALL VMS system disks in the world, e.g. the executables used by VMS itself. Obviously, this should be on EVERY system disk. Put another way, the current SYS$COMMON is a mixture of stuff common to all nodes which boot from that disk, stuff common to all VMS systems in the world and, if the stuff is not located somewhere else (pointed to by logicals in the case of VMS system files), stuff common to all nodes in the cluster (perhaps duplicated on more than one system...

block the right port on the right ip
hi,i know in some countries, several people share the same ip but different ports, so i think "block ip only" is not appropriate. may we should just block the right port at the right ip.does anybody there agree with me? samplestrategy@gmail.com dixit: > hi,i know in some countries, several people share the same ip but > different ports, In order to share the same physical IP address, you gotta have a router that supports NAT or some other protocol that will translate between public (physical) and virtual (private) IP addresses. So, the rule is, a host...

Right Away, Firefox Looks and Feel Right
<http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/video/> Once again, the Firefox team shows they get the importance of being consistent with an environment... -- [INSERT .SIG HERE] "Snit" <usenet@gallopinginsanity.com> schreef in bericht news:C670316E.38DA1%usenet@gallopinginsanity.com... > <http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/video/> Let's wait for the Kohltard moron to tell you that this video is forged! > > Once again, the Firefox team shows they get the importance of being > consistent with an environment... > Mmm, yes but I like Opera more! On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 21:17:34 -0700, Snit wrote: > <http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/video/> > > Once again, the Firefox team shows they get the importance of being > consistent with an environment... It feels faster than the previous version. At least the Windows version does. I know the Linux version had pre-release memory leaks so who knows if that got fixed before release. Abeel van der Kloothuysen stated in post 4a4b61f2$1@news.x-privat.org on 7/1/09 6:17 AM: > "Snit" <usenet@gallopinginsanity.com> schreef in bericht > news:C670316E.38DA1%usenet@gallopinginsanity.com... >> <http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/video/> > > Let's wait for the Kohltard moron to tell you that this video is forged! LOL! Yes... >> Once again, the Firefox team shows they get the importance of being >> consistent with an...

Acupuncture courses: Right choice for right people
Here I am providing all the details about the acupuncture courses, I hope this will help to all newcomers for finding information on it. Acupuncture and Herbal: The course will cover Chinese anatomy, meridians and points, pathology, pulse reading and analysis, tongue, face, eye and skin diagnosis. Spinal Acupuncture: This is helpful for spinal movement. Advanced Needle Manipulation: This is a unique course specializing in authentic needling techniques with an explanation of correct usage of reinforcing and reducing needling manipulations. Auricular acupuncture and Stress Management: The emphasis of the course falls on the practical application of auricular acupuncture in alcohol and drug rehabilitation. Cosmetic Acupuncture: It is very practically orientated with lots of hands-on training. Acupressure Massage: The emphasis of the course falls on the practical application of acupressure massage as treatment for variety of muscle- skeletal conditions. Sports and Traumatic Injury: The day begins with a theoretical explanation. After applying massage therapy on sport injury. Chinese Herbal Medicine: 2 Year professional Training Diploma Course. Each module will cover 10 Herbs which are similar you will study their differences to understand the feature properties of each medicine Chinese Pulse, Tongue and Face: 1 Year Diploma Course, It helpful for Pulse, Tongue Facial diagnosis. Each module will cover Pulse, Tongue and facial signs to focus attention on a particular syndrom...

free ipods and xbox are RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW !!!
www.customsoftwarezone.com/free Here it is.. The same guys that brought you the free iPods are now giving away free XBox 360s !!! Click my link for 3 FREE items: xbox 360, 60GB photo iPod, and 1GB iPod Shuffle.. www.customsoftwarezone.com/free It's a GREAT deal. Doesn't cost a dime... xbox x box x-box 360 xbox360 x-box360 x box360 iPod IPOD I Pod I-Pod i-pod shuffle photo 60 60G 60GB 1 1G 1GB xbox x box x-box 360 xbox360 x-box360 x box360 iPod IPOD I Pod I-Pod i-pod shuffle photo 60 60G 60GB 1 1G 1GB xbox x box x-box 360 xbox360 x-box360 x box360 iPod IPOD I Pod I-Pod i-pod ...

is this right?
hello! I'm trying to add many images, in the same figure then I try to get the standard deviation & contast.... I began with this: To read in the raw image data, For example, a 640x480 set of 10 images: % f=fopen('filename','rb'); % I=reshape(fread(fp,640*480*10,'uchar'),[640 480 10]); % fclose(f); Now I compute the contrast for a 7x7 region for all 10 files Nf=10; SC=zeros(size(I)); for i=1:Nf, SC(:,:,i)=colfilt(I(:,:,i),[7 7],'sliding',contrast); end Now I get the average the 10 files together SCm=mean(SC,3); why it does nor work, and how I ...

Web resources about - Is this right? - comp.sys.acorn.programmer

Man Is Arrested For Failing To Return VHS Copy Of Freddy Got Fingered
Imagine being one of the avid Tom Green fans who rented Freddy Got Fingered on VHS fourteen years ago and forgot to return the tape, what would ...

Apple-FBI battle is over but Silicon Valley is still preparing for the war
This wasn't the way the fight between Apple and the FBI was supposed to end. This was supposed to be big: the biggest case Silicon Valley has ...

Garry Shandling Dies at 66; Fellow Comedians Laud His Genius
New York Times Garry Shandling Dies at 66; Fellow Comedians Laud His Genius ABC News While Garry Shandling's fellow comedians fought to host ...

Batman V Superman: Interviewer confronts Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill with bad reviews
WHILE it’s expected to have a huge opening weekend in cinemas, the early reviews of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice haven’t exactly been kind. ...

Top Twitter users throw a surprise 10th birthday party — Biz Please No. 10
Twitter celebrated its 10th anniversary this week, and we here at Biz Please wanted to get our favorite microblogging social network platform ...

5 useful Gmail and Google Apps add-ons for Firefox
Chrome may not be your primary browser, but you can still get in on the Google goodness. Firefox’s famous add-on support lets you integrate many ...

Was Adam Johnson really given the right sentence?
Shamed footballer Adam Johnson was handed six years in jail after pleading guilty to sexual grooming and kissing a 15-year-old girl. But questions ...

Ole Miss Student Pleads Guilty To Putting A Noose Around Civil Rights Statue
A former University of Mississippi student could face up to a year in prison after pleading guilty to desecrating a civil rights statue. Austin ...

Explore a massive Google data center in this 360-degree video
Ever wondered how Google manages thousands of petabytes of storage across its services around the world? The answer lies in its state-of-the-art ...

Netflix says it throttles video on AT&T and Verizon to protect viewers
Internet users hate it when their connections are artificially throttled to slow down certain services. One of the most popular services used ...