Colin Ferris Cornwall UK
0
cferris (978)
7/8/2003 10:07:03 AM
comp.sys.acorn.programmer 2499 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In message <bdb3bc0e4c.cferris@cferris.freeuk.com>
          cferris@freeRemoveuk.com.invalid wrote:

> Is it permissable to use
>
> movs r0,r0 to reset the Z flag?

No, because it does not work. This instruction sets Z iff r0 == 0 and
only resets Z if r0 <> 0.

There are many ways to reset the Z flag, for example teq pc,#0 will do.
This changes the N flag, too, but leaves C and V alone.

> and
>
> cmp r0,r0 to reset the V flag?

Yes. If you do not mind changing all the other flags as well (this will
leave you with nCZv).

Martin
Martin Wuerthner       MW Software      martin@invalidMW-software.com
                                        remove "invalid" to reply
martin7551 (398)
7/8/2003 11:45:52 AM
On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 19:14:42 GMT, Alex Waugh <alex@alexwaugh.com>
wrote:

>In message <11c0c50e4c.martin@mw-software.com>
>          Martin Wuerthner <martin@invalidMW-software.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> In message <bdb3bc0e4c.cferris@cferris.freeuk.com>
>>           cferris@freeRemoveuk.com.invalid wrote:
>>
>> > Is it permissable to use
>> >
>> > movs r0,r0 to reset the Z flag?
>>
>> No, because it does not work. This instruction sets Z iff r0 == 0 and
>> only resets Z if r0 <> 0.
>>
>> There are many ways to reset the Z flag, for example teq pc,#0 will do.
>> This changes the N flag, too, but leaves C and V alone.
>
>No, TEQ will set C based on the carry out from the shifter.

Only if the shift is non-zero. For #0 it's zero.

It's a good one to remember because some constants (like
in TEQ rx,#const) will turn out barrel-shifted (e.g. 256)
while others won't (e.g. 128). I.e. the former (possibly
unexpectedly) corrupts (clears in this case) C, while the
latter doesn't.

John Kortink

--

Email    : kortink@inter.nl.net
Homepage : http://www.inter.nl.net/users/J.Kortink

ViewFinder, the high performance graphics card for RISC PC's :
visit http://www.windfall.nl for more details and pricing.

0
kortink (350)
7/8/2003 7:58:40 PM
In message <ar7mgvohnlcd2na5bepn5jipmrksgr60ar@4ax.com>
          John Kortink <kortink@inter.nl.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 19:14:42 GMT, Alex Waugh <alex@alexwaugh.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In message <11c0c50e4c.martin@mw-software.com>
> >          Martin Wuerthner <martin@invalidMW-software.com.invalid> wrote:

> >> No, because it does not work. This instruction sets Z iff r0 == 0 and
> >> only resets Z if r0 <> 0.
> >>
> >> There are many ways to reset the Z flag, for example teq pc,#0 will do.
> >> This changes the N flag, too, but leaves C and V alone.
> >
> >No, TEQ will set C based on the carry out from the shifter.
>
> Only if the shift is non-zero. For #0 it's zero.

So it does, my apologies. The ARM ARM is not very obvious about this
behaviour.

Alex

--
Alex Waugh                                           alex@alexwaugh.com

alex9270 (76)
7/8/2003 9:11:35 PM
John Kortink <kortink@inter.nl.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 19:14:42 GMT, Alex Waugh <alex@alexwaugh.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In message <11c0c50e4c.martin@mw-software.com>
> >          Martin Wuerthner <martin@invalidMW-software.com.invalid> wrote:

> >> No, because it does not work. This instruction sets Z iff r0 == 0 and
> >> only resets Z if r0 <> 0.
> >>
> >> There are many ways to reset the Z flag, for example teq pc,#0 will do.
> >> This changes the N flag, too, but leaves C and V alone.
> >
> >No, TEQ will set C based on the carry out from the shifter.
>
> Only if the shift is non-zero. For #0 it's zero.
>
> It's a good one to remember because some constants (like
> in TEQ rx,#const) will turn out barrel-shifted (e.g. 256)
> while others won't (e.g. 128). I.e. the former (possibly
> unexpectedly) corrupts (clears in this case) C, while the
> latter doesn't.

In the vast majority of cases, but obscene programmers can pervert this ;-)

For example "TEQ rx, #128" can be written as "TEQ rx, #32,30" or "TEQ rx,
#8,28" or "TEQ rx, #2,26" with the difference that the special ones
guarantee to clear C as well as setting N and Z on the basis of the TEQ.

This is a perfectly good encoding of the instruction, but also one which all
good disassemblers will flag up specially or with flashing lights (where
available).  You might just need the carry flag in a known state in some
critical piece of code :)

To explain to those who don't know, the constants in this sort of
instruction are encoded in a total 12 bits.  This cnstant is always encoded
as 8 significant bits with a 4-bit right rotate of an even number of bits
(i.e. the values 0-15 represent 0, 2, 4, 6, 8 ... 30)  For example with "TEQ
rx, #&FC000003" (which sets C), the constant is encoded as "&FF, rotate 6".
Usually a disassembler will reverse the encoding to give you the proper
constant, but they should spot the "non-standard" encodings.

--
Stewart Brodie
On 8 Jul 2003 Matthew Phillips <mnews@sinenomine.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <5ed7ee0e4c.ajw498@caramel.cp15.org>
>           Alex Waugh <alex@alexwaugh.com> wrote:
>
> > In message <11c0c50e4c.martin@mw-software.com>
> >           Martin Wuerthner <martin@invalidMW-software.com.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > > There are many ways to reset the Z flag, for example teq pc,#0 will do.
> > > This changes the N flag, too, but leaves C and V alone.
> >
> > No, TEQ will set C based on the carry out from the shifter. Only V is
> > unaffected.
>
> Page 69 of the Acorn Assembler manual says that for logical operations
> (AND, BIC, EOR, MOV, MVN, ORR, TEQ, TST) the C flag will be unchanged if no
> shifting took place.

Use MSR for setting flags, you might actually have some clue what the
code does 5 minutes later.

---druck

news5843 (7461)
7/10/2003 12:26:36 AM
Martin Wuerthner <martin@invalidMW-software.com.invalid> wrote:

> The interesting thing about FNsetVi(cc%)/FNclearVi(cc%) is that they
> guarantee that cc% still holds after the instruction (apart from the case
> of calling FNsetVi(VC) or FNclearVi(VS), of course - in which case this is
> not possible and an error is generated during assembly).

And of course unless the condition is GE, GT, LT or LE - or are you saying
that the other flags are also manipulated to preserve these conditions?

The most important thing about the macros that we used was that the
resulting flags were identical for both 26-bit and 32-bit expansions
wherever possible.

--
Stewart Brodie
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 12:36:10 +0100, Stewart Brodie
<stewart.brodie@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>John Kortink <kortink@inter.nl.net> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 00:22:02 +0100, Stewart Brodie
>> <stewart.brodie@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>> >[...]
>> >
>> >For example "TEQ rx, #128" can be written as "TEQ rx, #32,30" or "TEQ rx,
>> >#8,28" or "TEQ rx, #2,26" with the difference that the special ones
>> >guarantee to clear C as well as setting N and Z on the basis of the TEQ.
>>
>> Of course, although encoding 4095 with a 'special' shift
>> remains a challenge ... ;-)
>
>You just can't encode it in the 8+4 style constant.

Oops. I meant 255. As in : there's no way of non-zero shifting
that one constant.

John Kortink

--

Email    : kortink@inter.nl.net
Homepage : http://www.inter.nl.net/users/J.Kortink

ViewFinder, the high performance graphics card for RISC PC's :
visit http://www.windfall.nl for more details and pricing.

0
kortink (350)
7/10/2003 12:04:14 PM
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 14:04:14 +0200, John Kortink
<kortink@inter.nl.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 12:36:10 +0100, Stewart Brodie
><stewart.brodie@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>John Kortink <kortink@inter.nl.net> wrote:

>>> Of course, although encoding 4095 with a 'special' shift
>>> remains a challenge ... ;-)
>>
>>You just can't encode it in the 8+4 style constant.
>
>Oops. I meant 255. As in : there's no way of non-zero shifting
>that one constant.

Well, 127 and 254 as well since the shift is a multiple of 2.

John Kortink

--

Email    : kortink@inter.nl.net
Homepage : http://www.inter.nl.net/users/J.Kortink

ViewFinder, the high performance graphics card for RISC PC's :
visit http://www.windfall.nl for more details and pricing.

0
kortink (350)
7/10/2003 12:06:45 PM
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 14:06:45 +0200, John Kortink
<kortink@inter.nl.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 14:04:14 +0200, John Kortink
><kortink@inter.nl.net> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 12:36:10 +0100, Stewart Brodie
>><stewart.brodie@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>>You just can't encode it in the 8+4 style constant.
>>
>>Oops. I meant 255. As in : there's no way of non-zero shifting
>>that one constant.
>
>Well, 127 and 254 as well since the shift is a multiple of 2.

Or anything else with at least two 1's at distance 6 or 7 for
that matter.

;-)

John Kortink

--

Email    : kortink@inter.nl.net
Homepage : http://www.inter.nl.net/users/J.Kortink

ViewFinder, the high performance graphics card for RISC PC's :
visit http://www.windfall.nl for more details and pricing.

0
kortink (350)
7/10/2003 12:12:26 PM
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 15:36:12 +0200, Martin Wuerthner
<martin@invalidMW-software.com.invalid> wrote:

>In message <gemini.3f0d528300517370%stewart.brodie@ntlworld.com>
>          Stewart Brodie <stewart.brodie@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> Martin Wuerthner <martin@invalidMW-software.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> > The interesting thing about FNsetVi(cc%)/FNclearVi(cc%) is that they
>> > guarantee that cc% still holds after the instruction (apart from the case
>> > of calling FNsetVi(VC) or FNclearVi(VS), of course - in which case this is
>> > not possible and an error is generated during assembly).
>>
>> And of course unless the condition is GE, GT, LT or LE - or are you saying
>> that the other flags are also manipulated to preserve these conditions?
>
>Yes, that is the point. The macro setVi(cc%) guarantees two things:
>* V is set
>* cc% still holds
>This can always be done, except when cc% is VC, for obvious reasons.

Interesting. I work with similar macro's as well (altough these
are 'expanded' as a preprocessing step by feeding source through
my library system, rather than generated by a BASIC function) but
I only use them to automatically generate exit code. For every
flag, I specify set, clear, preserve (via a stacked r14 in that
case), or return (i.e. 'as is'). With shorthands for often used
ones (like 'preserve all' or 'return all') and facilities to
elegantly return r0 on errors, etc.. Personally I've never
found it necessary to use similar flag-setting code for things
other than function exits, but I suppose it's a matter of taste.

John Kortink

--

Email    : kortink@inter.nl.net
Homepage : http://www.inter.nl.net/users/J.Kortink

ViewFinder, the high performance graphics card for RISC PC's :
visit http://www.windfall.nl for more details and pricing.

0
kortink (350)
7/10/2003 2:11:20 PM
In message <o2sqgvcab0pdsmme0r9jioms2rhifga1i9@4ax.com>
          John Kortink <kortink@inter.nl.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 15:36:12 +0200, Martin Wuerthner
> <martin@invalidMW-software.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> >In message <gemini.3f0d528300517370%stewart.brodie@ntlworld.com>
> >          Stewart Brodie <stewart.brodie@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> > > And of course unless the condition is GE, GT, LT or LE - or are you
> > > saying that the other flags are also manipulated to preserve these
> > > conditions?
> >
> >Yes, that is the point. The macro setVi(cc%) guarantees two things:
> >* V is set
> >* cc% still holds
> >This can always be done, except when cc% is VC, for obvious reasons.
>
> Interesting. I work with similar macro's as well (altough these
> are 'expanded' as a preprocessing step by feeding source through
> my library system, rather than generated by a BASIC function) but
> I only use them to automatically generate exit code. For every
> flag, I specify set, clear, preserve (via a stacked r14 in that
> case), or return (i.e. 'as is'). With shorthands for often used
> ones (like 'preserve all' or 'return all') and facilities to
> elegantly return r0 on errors, etc.. Personally I've never
> found it necessary to use similar flag-setting code for things
> other than function exits, but I suppose it's a matter of taste.

Yes, I agree that exit macros are really the main purpose and SetVi mainly
works the way it does to allow me to implement the exit macros elegantly,
e.g., FNexitVS(cc%) is SetVi(cc%) followed by FNexit(cc%).

However, I have abandoned flag preservation altogether except in very few
circumstances. It is just too much bother in 32-bit mode. Finding and
fixing all the places that depended on this in the several megabytes of
ArtWorks source code was not fun.

Martin
Martin Wuerthner       MW Software      martin@invalidMW-software.com
                                        remove "invalid" to reply
martin7551 (398)

Programmers, Programmers, Programmers, ...
As Steve Balmer correctly stated, while making his monkey dance, it is applications and hence programmers that make a platform. The fact though is that if you want to do professional programming, then Linux is the platform for you. I know that this statement will get the heckels up on a lot of trolls in C.O.L.A, but I have a recent experience that proves this. I am currently working for a Windows only house producing a system that receives and transmits around 1000 telegrams per second in each direction on a UDP socket, translates them into a different format and creates a log entry for each ...

Help! meshc(x,y,z,v) plot is ignoring the "v" vector
Hey everyone. I was hoping you could help me with getting the contour lines in a simple "v" vector to plot. Below is the code I'm using. Instead of following the level set values in v, meshc just throws it out and plots the default level sets. Also, the function is not plotted above these default contour lines. What is incorrect? [x y] = meshgrid(-1:1,-1:1); z=((y-x).^4) + (12*x*y) - x + y - 3; v=sort([1.3765 -4.7342 0.3484]); meshc(x,y,z,v) Thanks for your help! ...

Derivative of g(z) = Arg(z) and f(z) = Re(z) + Im(z)?
How do I solve a derivative of a complex function Arg(z) or Re(z) + Im(z) by definition? (f(z) - f(w))/(z-w) -> f'(w) as z->w... Marie wrote: > How do I solve a derivative of a complex function Arg(z) or Re(z) + > Im(z) by definition? (f(z) - f(w))/(z-w) -> f'(w) as z->w... Let f(z) = P + I Q be the value of a complex function. I remember that if P is constant and Q variable (or P variable and Q constant) then f can't be complex differentiable because the Cauchy-Riemann conditions can't be met. Hence Arg, Re, Im, Abs are not complex different...

Blackfin Programmable flags
Hi Guys, I am facing some problem in using PF0 on BF531 as input. I want interrupt ( i am using channel A) to be generated when state of PF0 changes from Logic 0 -> Logic 1 and vice versa. This is the configuration iam using configuration. #define RTS_INTERRUPT_CHANNEL PF_A_INT #define RTS_PF_NO 0 #if (RTS_INTERRUPT_CHANNEL == PF_A_INT) #define RTS_MASK_SET_REG FIO_MASKA_S #define RTS_MASK_CLR_REG FIO_MASKA_C #define RTS_INTERRUPT_NUM PF_A_INT #define RTS_INTERRUPT_BIT (1 << 19) #define RTS_MASK_DATA_REG FIO_MASKA_D #else #define RTS_MASK_SET_REG FIO_MASKB_S #d...

How to reset sys.exec_prefix?
Somehow on my linux box I scrood things up and I lost my python path info. If I check sys.exec_prefix or sys.prefix it shows '/usr/local/', where it should show '/usr/'. Is there a config file somewhere that I can change to fix this, or do I need to do a rebuild/reinstall? Hope not. Thanks, B Bryan wrote: > Somehow on my linux box I scrood things up and I lost my python path info. > > If I check sys.exec_prefix or sys.prefix it shows '/usr/local/', where > it should show '/usr/'. > > Is there a config file somewhere that I can change ...

Resetting IOS Flags
I'd be very grateful if anyone could tell me what's wrong with the following code. The line "os.setf( oldflags, ios::basefield);" gives 2 compilation errors: "invalid conversion from 'long int' to 'std::_Ios_Fmtflags'" & "initializing argument 1 of 'std::_Ios_Fmtflags std::ios_base::setf(std::_Ios_Fmtflags,std::_Ios_Fmtflags)" /* * friend output operator * Parameters: * os - output stream to write to * bigi - Big_int to print value of * Return value: * reference to os */ ostream & operator << ( ostream &os, const Big_int & bigi ) { long oldflags = os.setf( ios::hex, ios::basefield); char old_fill = os.fill('0'); bool leading_zero = true; for( int i = bigi.size_ - 1; i >= 0; i-- ) { if ( ! leading_zero ) os.width(8); if ( bigi.number_[i] != 0) leading_zero = false; else if (i != 0 && leading_zero) continue; os << bigi.number_[i]; } os.fill(old_fill); os.setf( oldflags, ios::basefield); return os; } Mark Hinchcliffe ...

Is v$session available to SYS only?
Is this statement only for SYS (oracle 9i): select * from v$session; The SQL Reference doesnt mention this restriction so I just want to double confirm this. "dd" <dd@dd.com> wrote in message news:42531c92$1_2@rain.i-cable.com... > Is this statement only for SYS (oracle 9i): > > select * from v$session; > > The SQL Reference doesnt mention this restriction so I just want to double > confirm this. > > if you have permission to access it you can see it (i.e granted select on it) Thx Dave, But how do we grant on v$session? grant select on v$session to user; complains it is not a fixed table/view! > > > > if you have permission to access it you can see it (i.e granted select on > it) > > dd wrote: > Is this statement only for SYS (oracle 9i): > > select * from v$session; > > The SQL Reference doesnt mention this restriction so I just want to double > confirm this. v$session is actually a synonym for v_$session view. You don't grant permissions on synonyms but objects that they represent. SELECT on v_$session view is by default ONLY granted to sys and system either directly or via select_catalog_role or dba role. Regards /Rauf ...

reset without reset
Well not DSP actually but... Given a clock and set of flip-flops and gates is it possible to produce just one pulse? Flip-flops can start at random state. After a while I came to conclusion that it is not possible. Reasoning: 1) There can be only 2^N states where N is number of flip-flops Then we have two possibilities a) there is a loop. If the system starts at state inside the loop we get repeated sequence. That is many pulses. b) there is no loop. Then there must exist some final state. If the system starts at the final state we get no pulse at all. What do you think ? Actu...

Z flag is different from 0
Hi - I'm running ISC's bind 9.3.0 on Solaris 9. I have two servers (master = and secondard), which support a dozen (+/-) domains. We recently = upgraded our firewall to CheckPoint with thier SmartDefense product. (We = had been running an older Gauntlet firewall) My issue is that SmartDefense is alerting on our outgoing DNS queries, = saying "Bad DNS Headers, Z flag is different from 0". I've looked at = RFC2929, which says: --quote-- 2.1 One Spare Bit? There have been ancient DNS implementations for which the Z bit being on in a query meant that only a response from the primary server for a zone is acceptable. It is believed that current DNS implementations ignore this bit. Assigning a meaning to the Z bit requires an IETF Standards Action. --------- Should I be looking for a way to configure bind to not set the Z flag? = Or is there some other solution to this issue? Thanks in advance. ...

Safari v. Firefox v. Shiira v. Caminoi
Until today I have always come back to Safari. Latest Shiira seems equal. What say you all? -- Tim lance_1012@hotmail.com In article <qKKdndvs4s_i-YbZnZ2dnUVZ_sGdnZ2d@giganews.com>, Tim Lance <lance_1012@hotmail.com> wrote: > Until today I have always come back to Safari. Latest Shiira seems equal. > > What say you all? First impression: Yikes, I hope it handles security well. On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 20:33:50 -0600, Steven Fisher wrote (in article <sdfisher-19713A.18335017032006@shawnews.vs.shawcable.net>): > In article <qKKdndvs4s_i-YbZnZ2dnUVZ_sGdnZ2d...

Reset Problem with my Palm V
Hello, I had a problem with an application on the palm which required a reset. I did the reset, but the palm is now frozen of the palm logo 'Palm Computing Platform' and I cannot do anything and can't even turn it off. I tried reset again, but same thing happens. Would anyone have an idea ? Thanks Hold the reset button for about 10-15 seconds B4 release. If that fails you may need to do a hard reset which is the same reset button and the power button at the same time. When you release the buttons you should get a message on the palm 'erase data yes? no?' use the up button to erase data. This will of course toast all data and add-on apps you have installed. When you hotsync they will all get restored. unless you backed up your data to an SD card then you can restore from that (its quicker). Good luck. "Marc Fayard" <mfayard_nonospam@noos.fr> wrote in message news:3f87f3d0$0$27829$79c14f64@nan-newsreader-01.noos.net... > Hello, > > I had a problem with an application on the palm which required a reset. I > did the reset, but the palm is now frozen of the palm logo 'Palm Computing > Platform' and I cannot do anything and can't even turn it off. I tried reset > again, but same thing happens. > > Would anyone have an idea ? > > Thanks > > "Marc Fayard" mfayard_nonospam@noos.fr wrote: >I did the reset, but the palm is now frozen of the >palm logo 'Palm Computing...

RISCOS/Acorn Eprom programmer
Hi, Does anyone know where I can get an EPROM programmer for a RISCOS 3.11 A5000? Must blow up to 256Kbit bog standard ST EPROMs. Cheers all, - Chris. In message <3fdd0a07$0$10357$fa0fcedb@lovejoy.zen.co.uk> "Chris Smith" <chris@FARPinfinitemonkeys.org.uk> wrote: > Hi, > > Does anyone know where I can get an EPROM programmer for a RISCOS 3.11 > A5000? Must blow up to 256Kbit bog standard ST EPROMs. Did you try IFEL's web site ? I think they were selling one not so long ago <http://users.argonet.co.uk/ifel> (or there abouts) -- J�r�me Mathevet On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 01:10:31 -0000, "Chris Smith" <chris@FARPinfinitemonkeys.org.uk> wrote: >Hi, > >Does anyone know where I can get an EPROM programmer for a RISCOS 3.11 >A5000? Must blow up to 256Kbit bog standard ST EPROMs. What'd you be willing to pay ? John Kortink -- Email : kortink@inter.nl.net Homepage : http://www.inter.nl.net/users/J.Kortink ViewFinder, the high performance graphics card for RISC PC's : visit http://www.windfall.nl for more details and pricing. ...

To Flag or Not To Flag? That is the question....
Hello I am working on a database to track sales reps involved on a sale. I would like to flag the sales rep that initiated the sale but read that creating fields used to flag are not recommended. Can anyone provide a suggestion of another way to track this information? Below is how my db is structured (and thank you Roger from this news group with all your help with creating this structure) tblOrder salesOrderID salesAmount customerName tblOrderRep salesOrderID repID flag (this is the field i was going to add to flag which rep initiated the sale) tblRep repID repName tier upline Thank you in advance for your time and advice. Matt On Oct 14, 3:13=A0pm, spima05 <mspilot...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello > > I am working on a database to track sales reps involved on a sale. I > would like to flag the sales rep that initiated the sale but read that > creating fields used to flag are not recommended. Can anyone provide a > suggestion of another way to track this information? > > Below is how my db is structured (and thank you Roger from this news > group with all your help with creating this structure) > > tblOrder > =A0 =A0salesOrderID > =A0 =A0salesAmount > =A0 =A0customerName > > tblOrderRep > =A0 =A0salesOrderID > =A0 =A0repID > =A0 =A0flag (this is the field i was going to add to flag which rep > initiated the sale) > > tblRep > =A0 =A0repID > =A0 =A0repName > =A0 ...

6502 overflow (V) flag
I came across this article: http://6502.org/tutorials/vflag.html describing the overflow flag, and there's some discussion in there about the SO pin on the 6502 (set overflow). It's interesting to note that: 1) There's a CLV instruction but no corresponding SEV instruction 2) I've written some 6502 code but I haven't found a whole lot of use for the V flag It also raises in my mind some questions: 1) What was Chuck Peddle doing with that SO pin? 2) What does a PET/VIC/C64/C128 do with that pin? 3) Is there any hardware that utilises this feature? Charlie...

Resetting the shell kills Z!
Sir: Whenever I reset the desktop, Z! dies. I see that Z! is a child of the first running copy of PMshell, not the desktop. Other programs that have that parent are not closed when the desktop is reset. What needs to be fixed? -- Bill Thanks a Million! William L. Hartzell wrote: > Sir: > > Whenever I reset the desktop, Z! dies. I see that Z! is a child of the > first running copy of PMshell, not the desktop. Other programs that > have that parent are not closed when the desktop is reset. What needs > to be fixed? XWP or eWP. Regards Chris ...

SYS V messages: permission denied
I don't recall ever getting a permission denied on a message queue that I created before. SuSE Linux 8.2, GNU gcc 3.3 This code calls msgget() then msgsnd(), basically cramming messages into the queue up to the system limit. If I compile and run it as my (non-root) self, I get a permission denied on the msgsnd(). If I run it as root, all is well. I don't get it, although it's probably something simple/stupid. #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <errno.h> #include <fcntl.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include...

Return to BASIC with V flag set
In a recent thread 'A Processor Bug' I think I might have discovered why some of my ARM code used to fail. What will happen if the V flag is set on returning to BASIC, is the apparent Error handled by the Basic Module or will it be handled by my own Basic Error Handler ? Is it ok just to return to BASIC after a SWI has exited with Vset without changing R0, a valid error block ? and, what happens if V is set by accident and R0 is just some random value with no error block ? cheers Jon -- RISC OS Software : http://www.tarazen.demon.co.uk/software/ In message <5a96465e4c.jonkeates@tarazen.demon.co.uk> Jon Keates <jonkeates@tarazen.demon.co.uk> wrote: > In a recent thread 'A Processor Bug' I think I might have > discovered why some of my ARM code used to fail. > > What will happen if the V flag is set on returning to > BASIC, is the apparent Error handled by the Basic Module or > will it be handled by my own Basic Error Handler ? It does the same thing as if a SYS call generated an error. It will call your ON ERROR handler if you have any (and the error number isn't zero, I think), otherwise it will call BASIC's default error handler. > Is it ok just to return to BASIC after a SWI has exited > with Vset without changing R0, a valid error block ? Yes. > and, what happens if V is set by accident and R0 is just > some random value with no error block ? Then you'll get some random error ...

CONTOURF(Z,v) vector contour levels
I have a series of data sets (~10) that needed to be plotted separately using the same contour levels. Some of the data sets range from 0-0.5 and others from 0-15 (so some will look nearly monochromatic). When I try to use the same vector to define the contour levels (v=0:0.1:15), I would expect each colormap to show me the data on a scale from 0 to 15. However two strange things happen: *On the data that does not exceed 2, the contour map automatically sets levels (as contourf(Z,n) where n=length(v)) and the colorbar reads 0 to max(Z). *On the other data sets, the data appears to normal...

How to convert an existing application to a sys v service (daemon)
I have a Java application, to start it I use java -jar myapp.jar To stop it I use CTRL+C. Now I need to convert that application to something that I can start with: /etc/init.d/myapp start And I can stop with: /etc/init.d/myapp stop The problem is all about saving the PID of the process, I think I saw somewhere a recipe for doing this, I don't remember where and I'm not able to find it. I saw that there is a project called [Java Server Wrapper][1], but I look for something free that does not limit memory usage. And I think that this work could be done in a si...

Basic V for the Acorn Archimedes
I=B9m pleased to announce that Basic V for the Acorn Archimedes is the next title to be made available through MagCloud. Scaled up from its original A5 to American Letter size, it's printed in a magazine form then dispatched by MagCloud to anywhere in the US and UK. This book provides a practical guide to programming in BASIC V on the Acorn Archimedes. Assuming a familiarity with the BBC BASIC language in general, it describes the many new commands offered by BASIC V, already acclaimed as one of the best and most structured versions of the language on any micro. An essential aid for all Archimedes users, this book will also appeal to existing BBC BASIC users who wish to be conversant with new features of BASIC V. Topics covered include: Using the colour palette - WHILE, IF and CASE - Use of mouse and pointer - Local error handling - Operations and String Handling - The Assembler - Control Structures - Matrix Operations - Functions and Procedures - Extended graphics commands - Sound - Programming hints & tips If you already have this book in A5 format: it's the same book, just in a larger form so there's possibly no reason to buy it again. Price through MagCloud is $25. As with the First steps with RISC OS book, you can also download it for free viewing on the iPad. Visit http://alligatamedia.magcloud.com/ for details. I have three copies of the original print run available at GBP5.99 each. Email me for details. Dave Holden has an HTML version available...

[9fans] the import/exportfs protocol and a proposed import -z flag
Hello. I am writing to 9fans to solicit discussion (and hopefully consensus) about a proposed patch to import(4) to match the options that currently exist in exportfs(4). I have submitted a patch(1) to sources to be found in sources/patch/importz. The readme and manpages for that patch also explain this issue but based on my discussions with other users in IRC, I would like to submit the topic for community analysis. I am sorry for any inaccuracies, please correct any mistakes. I appreciate all the discuss ion I have had with others already. Summary: currently, the exportfs(4) options -a and -r or -S are incompatible when exportfs is being used as a listener. I propose a simple patch to import to allow import to correctly mount exportfs(4) services that are using these flags. A new flag -z tells import to skip the same part of the protocol (tree request) that exportfs skips when using the -r or -S flags. Example: aux/listen1 tcp!*!9876 /bin/exportfs -a -r /usr/me/authedexport Translated to english, this command says: "listen on port 9876, authenticate clients, and then serve this directory." This is a sensible usage of exportfs. However, neither current import(4) or srv(4) and mount is able to connect to an exportfs run with these options. It creates a protocol variant which is currently unsupported. The same issue exists if you substitute the -S flag (exportfs of a service mount usually from /srv). The proposed patch allows you to use this command t...

zplane
Dear All, Could you please teach me how to use zplane command to draw z domain equatinos, for example z/z-a Thank you very much! if 0<a<? ...

V.90 or V.92
I have a Mini with Tiger and an OEM internal V.92 modem. I've switched to an ISP offering V.92, but connecting still takes approximately 30 seconds. Can Tiger tell me if I'm making a V.92 connection? [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for details. ]] In article <l6idnRlezfbmSsrZnZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d@flxtek.net>, sawney beane <beadle1833@fmail.co.uk> wrote: > I have a Mini with Tiger and an OEM internal V.92 modem. I've switched > to an ISP offering V.92, but connecting still takes approximately 30 > seconds. Can Tiger tell me if I'm making a V.92 connection? Try Applications/Internet Connect -> Menu - Window -> Connection Log Cheers, Darrell -- To reply, substitute .net for .invalid in address, i.e., darrell.usenet5 (at) �telus.net Darrell Greenwood wrote: > [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see > the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for details. ]] > > In article <l6idnRlezfbmSsrZnZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d@flxtek.net>, sawney beane > <beadle1833@fmail.co.uk> wrote: > >> I have a Mini with Tiger and an OEM internal V.92 modem. I've switched >> to an ISP offering V.92, but connecting still takes approximately 30 >> seconds. Can Tiger tell me if I'm making a V.92 connection? > > Try Applications/Internet Connect -> Menu - Windo...

Trying to grok Sys V message queue overflow behavior
RHEL4 / SuSE 9.3 / x86 /proc/sys/kernel/msgmnb = 204800000 /proc/sys/kernel/msgmni = 16 /proc/sys/kernel/msgmax = 8192 Summary: Two processes communicating via IPC (Sys V message queues). Proc_1 msgsnd()'s messages on two discrete message queues. There are only two types of message; one is 88 bytes, the other, 16. One type is exclusively written to Q1, the other is exclusively written to Q2. Proc_2 msgrcv()'s messages from both queues and passes them to another process (Proc_3) via TCP. I get the same behavior regardless of whether Proc_3 is local or remote. What I'm t...

Web resources about - Resetting the Z and V flags - comp.sys.acorn.programmer

Speaker of the House John Boehner on resetting America’s economic foundation - YouTube
Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) delivers his five-point policy vision to reset America’s economy. He discusses how the emerging energy boom in the ...

Neuroscience suggests resetting the clock on 'coming of age'
New techniques for tracking brain growth show radical change extends into at least the mid-20s.

University deregulation: Top-tier institutions call for end to political process, resetting of debate ...
Australia's leading research universities call for a depoliticised process to reset the higher education debate.

Cycle of Life: Resetting L.A.'s Smoking Deaths Billboard
Ushering in the New Year at the Smoking Deaths billboard above Santa Monica Boulevard in West L.A. has become a somewhat morbid yet surprisingly ...

Resetting the net: Snowden and surveillance
One year after Edward Snowden exposed the spying at the NSA, can the internet be re-set?

Resetting Uncle Sam’s Clocks
Allison Schrager wants the US to simplify its time zones: This year, Americans on Eastern Standard Time should set their clocks back one hour ...

Don't Change Your Google Password Before Factory Resetting Your Android Phone - You Might Trip A 72-Hour ...
This isn't a news story, but more of a "public service announcement" about an Android feature not everyone may be aware of. If you've ended up ...

Resetting your DNS cache
Ever find yourself in a situation where a web site is loading on one device and not another? Or, perhaps, you just registered a new domain name ...

Resetting the Astros' roster
Resetting the Astros' roster

Resetting the Philadelphia Eagles' Draft Board
The Philadelphia Eagles have been—and might very well continue to be—very busy in free agency. As a result, their draft board is constantly evolving... ...