We were right

The Amiga One is as good as dead now that even the board supplier has gone
belly-up. That would explain the warranty issues and why dealers and
developers are leaving in droves.

For some insight look here...

http://flyingmice.com/cgi-bin/squidcgi/mbthread.pl/amiga/expand/113458?page=1

(thanks Terry for the link)

0
no-one5 (580)
5/23/2005 9:30:25 PM
comp.sys.amiga.advocacy 450 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Clockmeister wrote:
> The Amiga One is as good as dead now that even the board supplier has
gone
> belly-up. That would explain the warranty issues and why dealers and
> developers are leaving in droves.
>
> For some insight look here...

http://flyingmice.com/cgi-bin/squidcgi/mbthread.pl/amiga/expand/113458?page=1

> (thanks Terry for the link)

Well, for what it's worth the domain "mai.com" is still registered. But
it doesn't look like the site is coming back. I didn't try the phone
number myself, but it wouldn't be any big surprise if they had gone
under.

Meanwhile, OS4 has been in "pre-release" form for a year now.
Apparently some people on AW are clinging to the hopes that OS4 will
eventually wind up somewhere, anywhere. Today I saw a thread on AW
where someone found a "screenshot" of FireFox running on OS4. Turned
out to be a hoax, but how pathetic is that when people get excited
because a basic application like a *web browser* might be available? As
slow as development has been over the past year, and as many projects
have been abandoned, it's pretty clear that OS4 will always be at the
extreme tail-end of the progress curve. Assuming it ever even makes it
out the door, that is. The general unavailability of the A1 hasn't
helped popularize OS4 much either, and that situation sure doesn't seem
to be improving with the disappearence of Mai and the fact that Eyetech
isn't talking.

0
jorkany (162)
5/23/2005 10:29:24 PM
"Clockmeister" <no-one@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> The Amiga One is as good as dead now that even the board supplier has gone
> belly-up. That would explain the warranty issues and why dealers and
> developers are leaving in droves.

Well I haven't read through the whole Moobunny thread so sorry if I've
missed a bit but since then Alan has actually replied (in answering a
different question) on AW.net here:
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12512&forum=14#172355

So he's still alive but he's still staying quiet on the recent AW.net
questions that have been sent to him. Hopefully he will say something soon.
(?)

I don't think it's fair to say that 'developers are leaving in droves' as
that happened in 1993/1994. What we've been left with ever since is the odd
decent hobbyist company and quite a few shits (pardon my French ;)).

In real terms the Amiga has been dead since 1994 and probably a bit before
that with the high point being a staggering 14 years ago at XMas 1991. I
still think Hyperion will eventually release OS4. But with a parent company
that doesn't give a visible toss other than a few 'comforting words' and no
visible business strategy the Amiga's death/hibernation continues and I see
no way out in the current climate. :(

---
Sam

0
nospam21 (19047)
5/24/2005 11:28:54 AM
"Clockmeister" <no-one@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> The Amiga One is as good as dead now that even the board supplier has gone
> belly-up. That would explain the warranty issues and why dealers and
> developers are leaving in droves.
>
> For some insight look here...

As for Mai... Well it would be nice to get some confirmation on that.

---
Sam

0
nospam21 (19047)
5/24/2005 11:50:32 AM
"Sam Smith" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> "Clockmeister" <no-one@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > The Amiga One is as good as dead now that even the board supplier has
gone
> > belly-up. That would explain the warranty issues and why dealers and
> > developers are leaving in droves.
>
> Well I haven't read through the whole Moobunny thread so sorry if I've
> missed a bit but since then Alan has actually replied (in answering a
> different question) on AW.net here:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12512&forum=14#172355

> So he's still alive but he's still staying quiet on the recent AW.net
> questions that have been sent to him. Hopefully he will say something
soon.
> (?)
>

> I don't think it's fair to say that 'developers are leaving in droves' as
> that happened in 1993/1994. What we've been left with ever since is the
odd
> decent hobbyist company and quite a few shits (pardon my French ;)).
>

> In real terms the Amiga has been dead since 1994 and probably a bit before
> that with the high point being a staggering 14 years ago at XMas 1991. I
> still think Hyperion will eventually release OS4. But with a parent
company
> that doesn't give a visible toss other than a few 'comforting words' and
no
> visible business strategy the Amiga's death/hibernation continues and I
see
> no way out in the current climate. :(

What is it with those Amigans who are so easily satisfied with just a few
comforting words when Amiga history shows us that time and time again it's
only meaningless lip service that amount to nothing in any practical sense.

The Amiga is dead, completely and utterly dead.

0
no-one5 (580)
5/24/2005 6:10:57 PM

> What is it with those Amigans who are so easily satisfied with just a few
> comforting words when Amiga history shows us that time and time again it's
> only meaningless lip service that amount to nothing in any practical
> sense.
>
> The Amiga is dead, completely and utterly dead.

Well if you're believing that 'everything is going be just fine' then that's
fair enough. Insanely optimistic it may be but I don't mind someone being
positive about a platform as long as you don't do any harm and don't start
making stuff up.

When people start making stuff up it gets silly and totally unnecessary.

---
Sam

0
nospam21 (19047)