ADF Images and RAM discs

Hi - I'm looking for a way to write an ADF image into the RAM disk of my
Amiga 500 (with a 1MB trapdoor expansion) using serial transfer from my PC.
The ADF image is 901,120 bytes in size I believe, so it's easy to overload
the RAM disk.

I want to get the image there in one piece, although I know it's possible to
write half of an ADF image, write to the first 40 tracks of the Amiga
floppy, then send the other half of the ADF and write the final tracks.
This is very cumbersome so I'm trying to find a better way.

Is it possible to send an entire ADF to an Amiga 500 with only 1MB memory?
I'd guess I would need a boot disc with an *extremely* stripped-down version
of Workbench, and the Transdisk or Transwarp utility and some type of very
basic terminal program on the disk as well.

I've tried to purchase an Amiga 500 with 2MB RAM but so far have failed.  My
last attempt was to buy and install a Supra 500rx RAM module to hopefully
get 2 MB of memory for a larger RAM drive but it appears that this RAM
module doesn't work.

Nate Brazil

0
natebrazil
5/18/2005 2:44:40 PM
comp.sys.amiga.misc 1963 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

<natebrazil@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi - I'm looking for a way to write an ADF image into the RAM disk of my
> Amiga 500 (with a 1MB trapdoor expansion) using serial transfer from my
PC.
> The ADF image is 901,120 bytes in size I believe, so it's easy to overload
> the RAM disk.
>
> I want to get the image there in one piece, although I know it's possible
> write half of an ADF image, write to the first 40 tracks of the Amiga
> floppy, then send the other half of the ADF and write the final tracks.
> This is very cumbersome so I'm trying to find a better way.
>
> Is it possible to send an entire ADF to an Amiga 500 with only 1MB memory?
> I'd guess I would need a boot disc with an *extremely* stripped-down
version
> of Workbench, and the Transdisk or Transwarp utility and some type of very
> basic terminal program on the disk as well.
>
> I've tried to purchase an Amiga 500 with 2MB RAM but so far have failed.
My
> last attempt was to buy and install a Supra 500rx RAM module to hopefully
> get 2 MB of memory for a larger RAM drive but it appears that this RAM
> module doesn't work.
>
> Nate Brazil

As an alternative; you could DMS the adf on your PC, making it much smaller
(I did this within Winuae), then put the dms file on a 720k PC disk, along
with the DMS program; then take it over to the amiga, and undms the disk
image directly to an amiga disk .

0
Colin
5/18/2005 3:45:25 PM
"Colin" <colmac14@gmail.com> wrote in message

> <natebrazil@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi - I'm looking for a way to write an ADF image into the RAM disk of my
> > Amiga 500 (with a 1MB trapdoor expansion) using serial transfer from my
> PC.
> > The ADF image is 901,120 bytes in size I believe, so it's easy to
overload
> > the RAM disk.
> >
> > I want to get the image there in one piece, although I know it's
possible
> > write half of an ADF image, write to the first 40 tracks of the Amiga
> > floppy, then send the other half of the ADF and write the final tracks.
> > This is very cumbersome so I'm trying to find a better way.
> >
> > Is it possible to send an entire ADF to an Amiga 500 with only 1MB
memory?
> > I'd guess I would need a boot disc with an *extremely* stripped-down
> version
> > of Workbench, and the Transdisk or Transwarp utility and some type of
very
> > basic terminal program on the disk as well.
> >
> > I've tried to purchase an Amiga 500 with 2MB RAM but so far have failed.
> My
> > last attempt was to buy and install a Supra 500rx RAM module to
hopefully
> > get 2 MB of memory for a larger RAM drive but it appears that this RAM
> > module doesn't work.
> >
> > Nate Brazil
> >

> As an alternative; you could DMS the adf on your PC, making it much
smaller
> (I did this within Winuae), then put the dms file on a 720k PC disk, along
> with the DMS program; then take it over to the amiga, and undms the disk
> image directly to an amiga disk .

Or; as you`ve got a serial (null-modem) cable, amiga explorer would suit ya
needs.
http://www.amigaforever.com/ae/

0
Colin
5/18/2005 4:54:11 PM
"Colin" <colmac14@gmail.com> wrote in message

> <natebrazil@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi - I'm looking for a way to write an ADF image into the RAM disk of my
> > Amiga 500 (with a 1MB trapdoor expansion) using serial transfer from my
> PC.
> > The ADF image is 901,120 bytes in size I believe, so it's easy to
overload
> > the RAM disk.
> >
> > I want to get the image there in one piece, although I know it's
possible
> > write half of an ADF image, write to the first 40 tracks of the Amiga
> > floppy, then send the other half of the ADF and write the final tracks.
> > This is very cumbersome so I'm trying to find a better way.
> >
> > Is it possible to send an entire ADF to an Amiga 500 with only 1MB
memory?
> > I'd guess I would need a boot disc with an *extremely* stripped-down
> version
> > of Workbench, and the Transdisk or Transwarp utility and some type of
very
> > basic terminal program on the disk as well.
> >
> > I've tried to purchase an Amiga 500 with 2MB RAM but so far have failed.
> My
> > last attempt was to buy and install a Supra 500rx RAM module to
hopefully
> > get 2 MB of memory for a larger RAM drive but it appears that this RAM
> > module doesn't work.
> >
> > Nate Brazil
> >

> As an alternative; you could DMS the adf on your PC, making it much
smaller
> (I did this within Winuae), then put the dms file on a 720k PC disk, along
> with the DMS program; then take it over to the amiga, and undms the disk
> image directly to an amiga disk .

http://www.amigaforever.com/ae/
http://download.cloanto.com/download/amigaforever/aesetup.exe

0
Colin
5/18/2005 5:12:22 PM

> "Colin" <colmac14@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> <natebrazil@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi - I'm looking for a way to write an ADF image into the RAM disk of
>> > my
>> > Amiga 500 (with a 1MB trapdoor expansion) using serial transfer from my
>> PC.
>> > The ADF image is 901,120 bytes in size I believe, so it's easy to
> overload
>> > the RAM disk.
>> >
>> > I want to get the image there in one piece, although I know it's
> possible
>> > write half of an ADF image, write to the first 40 tracks of the Amiga
>> > floppy, then send the other half of the ADF and write the final tracks.
>> > This is very cumbersome so I'm trying to find a better way.
>> >
>> > Is it possible to send an entire ADF to an Amiga 500 with only 1MB
> memory?
>> > I'd guess I would need a boot disc with an *extremely* stripped-down
>> version
>> > of Workbench, and the Transdisk or Transwarp utility and some type of
> very
>> > basic terminal program on the disk as well.
>> >
>> > I've tried to purchase an Amiga 500 with 2MB RAM but so far have
>> > failed.
>> My
>> > last attempt was to buy and install a Supra 500rx RAM module to
> hopefully
>> > get 2 MB of memory for a larger RAM drive but it appears that this RAM
>> > module doesn't work.
>> >
>> > Nate Brazil
>> >

>> As an alternative; you could DMS the adf on your PC, making it much
> smaller
>> (I did this within Winuae), then put the dms file on a 720k PC disk,
>> along
>> with the DMS program; then take it over to the amiga, and undms the disk
>> image directly to an amiga disk .
>>

> http://www.amigaforever.com/ae/
> http://download.cloanto.com/download/amigaforever/aesetup.exe

I think Amiga Explorer may just be what I'm looking for!  I'll try the free
demo tonight to make sure my cable will work with the software.

I've thought about trying this emulator.  One problem I've had with
emulators so far is that the OS they emulate runs a bit slower than my
standard Amiga.  This is especially noticable when I play the game "Robocod
II".  I'd love to find an emulator that makes a speed difference
unnoticable.  Until then, I'll make sure to always have a true Amiga 500
around...

0
natebrazil
5/18/2005 6:43:18 PM
<natebrazil@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi - I'm looking for a way to write an ADF image into the RAM disk of my
> Amiga 500 (with a 1MB trapdoor expansion) using serial transfer from my PC.
> The ADF image is 901,120 bytes in size I believe, so it's easy to overload
> the RAM disk.
>
> I want to get the image there in one piece, although I know it's possible to
> write half of an ADF image, write to the first 40 tracks of the Amiga
> floppy, then send the other half of the ADF and write the final tracks.
> This is very cumbersome so I'm trying to find a better way.
<snip>

Why not write it directly to the disk?  You could use flat-handler
(Aminet: disk/misc/flat1_3.lzh) and then save the image to FLAT:DF0
instead of a file in RAM:.

--
Ben Hutchings
Computers are not intelligent.	They only think they are.

> "Colin" <colmac14@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Colin" <colmac14@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> <natebrazil@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> PC.
> > overload

> > possible

> > memory?
> >> version
> > very

> >> My
> > hopefully
RAM

> >> As an alternative; you could DMS the adf on your PC, making it much
> > smaller
> >> (I did this within Winuae), then put the dms file on a 720k PC disk,
> >> along
> >> with the DMS program; then take it over to the amiga, and undms the
disk
> >> image directly to an amiga disk .
> >>

> > http://www.amigaforever.com/ae/
> > http://download.cloanto.com/download/amigaforever/aesetup.exe
> >

> I think Amiga Explorer may just be what I'm looking for!  I'll try the
free
> demo tonight to make sure my cable will work with the software.

Make sure that you set the com port speeds the same, and you shouldn`t have
a problem.
For Windows, go into control panel/system/device manager/ports/com2 (or
com1; whichever port you`ve got the cable connected to), and set it`s port
speed to 115200 (instead of it`s default 9600), and flow control to hardware
(rts/cts).
For windows amiga explorer, set your port, port speed to 19200 and hardware.

For the Amiga go into it`s serial preferences, and set the port speed to
it`s maximum (31250, I think), and hardware (rts/cts)

> I've thought about trying this emulator.  One problem I've had with
> emulators so far is that the OS they emulate runs a bit slower than my
> standard Amiga.  This is especially noticable when I play the game
"Robocod
> II".  I'd love to find an emulator that makes a speed difference
> unnoticable.  Until then, I'll make sure to always have a true Amiga 500
> around...

It`s not an emulator, but can be bought as part of the `amiga forever`
package.

If you want close to real amiga performance in emulation, try Dosuae.
I`ve done this with a bootable CD, and found that there`s no noticeable
difference from a real amiga

0
Colin
5/19/2005 4:43:36 AM
<natebrazil@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I've thought about trying this emulator.  One problem I've had with
> emulators so far is that the OS they emulate runs a bit slower than my
> standard Amiga.  This is especially noticable when I play the game
> "Robocod II".  I'd love to find an emulator that makes a speed difference
> unnoticable.  Until then, I'll make sure to always have a true Amiga 500
> around...

Yeah. It's still always better to play on a 'real' A500 but the latest
version of WinUAE on a 3.2GHz PIV is very impressive it really has become
much better over the past few revisions. But if you have the real thing why
bother? ;)

---
Sam

0
Sam
5/19/2005 2:32:33 PM
Another option would be to mount the RAD disk, copy your workbench and
program over to that, boot from RAD, stick a blank floppy in the drive and
tranfer to that.

Other options include:
Buy a second floppy disk drive. (They are real cheap)
buy an A590 (They arnt so cheap but they are cool and 80MB seems a lot on an
A500 ;)
buy an A570 and burn a CD on the PC (This is also a cool upgrade for the
A500)
LHA compress the ADF file and then copy it over. (Or zip if you wanted)
copy over FAT95 and install that to your workbench floppy, then just stick
the file on a PC 720Kb floppy disk. (Zipped)

There are probably lots more that I didnt mention but hey

0
Oliver

!Image
Hi, A minor new release of !ShortCut, a short cut creator for any application is now available along with a refreshed version of !Image an ADFS floppy disc image writer. Both available from <URL:http://www.archez.co.uk/> Cheers, Matt -- n.g.boalch@durham.ac.uk, Backup Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.announce. Submissions to csaa@owlart.net Related mail to csaa-request@owlart.net ...

Getting Amiga disc images back to Amiga floppy.
I've been given a rather unused A500. Unfortunately there is no software for it, I do on the other hand, have thousands of floppies at home, but considering I'm in NI and my floppies are in England, I'm in a spot of bother. Is there a relatively easy way of getting the images to Amiga floppy, just to test it out? I'm using a laptop, so i'm limited on the types of connections I can use. TIA Pagaggle On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 18:46:33 +0100, "Foul 'ol Ron" <Underthebridge@Morpork.com> wrote: >I've been given a rather unused A...

Create ADF disc images
I've been looking for something to create/read/write to ADF disc images directly, ie. without having to mess about with floppies. Do we have such a thing? -- Stewart Goldwater http://www.janus.freeserve.co.uk/ In article <nb70-2-0.20060126.212925.62@ntlworld.com>, nwsgrp@ntlworld.com says... > I've been looking for something to create/read/write to ADF disc > images directly, ie. without having to mess about with floppies. > Do we have such a thing? I used !Copier (from our very own Dave Holden) to copy discs for use on Red Squirrel. I'm pretty sure it was fre...

ADF Disc imaging tools...
I already know of ADF Imager and as far as it goes it's a great tool. Currently though, to get software to run on my actual A7000+ HDD. I have to first write the image to a floppy and then copy the files to the hard drive in the normal way. This is workable, if just a little long-winded, for 1.6M (F) format HD floppy images. The problem comes when I'm trying to transfer data from 800k (D/E) or older ADFS 3.5" formats. This comes down to the fact that all floppies are pre- formatted to 1.44M (DOS) and the fact that my A7000+ seems to be having trouble "down formatting" th...

Copying an adf file into RAM disc?
I try to use Red Squirrel (0.6) on Windows XP, but I can't seem to mount an adf file. Does anyone have a pointer to a working adf file? Or does know what RS wants to see? The file size seems right. I was thinking of writing a program that copies the adf file in hostfs to RAM disc so I can see what is wrong with it. I dropped it already in !Edit, and it seems ok. However, it has been ages since I did programming in BBC Basic, so if anyone has a snippet that opens a file and copies it to RAM disc... TIA, John -- John MexIT: http://johnbokma.com/mexit/ ...

1.6mb adfs disc images
this may well be in the wrong group, but I cant think of anywhere better to put it... Apologies if its in the wrong place. Does anyone know where I could download a 1.6 mb HD Floppy Disc Image for use with an emulator like Virtual Acorn or Red Squirril? I know I can get software to create a disc image, but since I dont have a disc formatted in ADFS, and I have no way of getting one at the moment, I was hoping I could download an image. Many thanks Jon On 21 Jan 2006 "Jon Dallimore" <dallimoj@coventry.ac.uk> wrote: > this may well be in the wrong group, but I cant think ...

Boot disc / msdos / with ram disc
Hi, I need a simple msdos boot disc, which also creates a ram drive accessible on the dos prompt. Can somebody give me a hint to good resource on the net or explain the steps to go thourgh? Fritz You can load Microsoft's Ramdrive.sys from Config.sys or the much better Xmsdsk.exe from Autoexec.bat. Run commands from Autoexec.bat to copy file you need to the ramdisk, set the appropriate Path and Comspec variables and you can then remove the floppy and run DOS from the ramdisk. You might find a DOS7.1 (Win98) floppy image at bootdisk.com that will do this for you. Fritz Bay...

DVD-RAM stopped recognising DVD-RAM discs
Dear all, I have a problem with my LG DVD-RAM drive model GSA-4040B which I cannot resolve ... about 6 months ago I bought the drive, installed it and everything worked fine. But last week the drive started causing problems without any sort of warning and no obvious reason. All the sudden it does not recognise DVD-RAMs anymore .... and comes up with the error message "Please insert a disc into drive:" when you click on the drive in Explorer. I have tried uninstalling the driver and re-installing it but that did not change anything. The drive still seems to be able to read an...

Importing 3" MicroDesign3 discs into disc images for Joyce?
Anyone had any luck reading real MicroDesign3 PCW discs into images for Joyce? My PCW was a 3" one, so I can't put the disc in a physical floppy drive on my PC and point Joyce at it. Instead, I'm using a serial link with the LibDsk remote backend and AUXDPCW.COM on the actual PCW to create (E)DSK files. By and large, this works quite well (if slowly). However, I haven't had any joy transferring Creative Technology program discs such as MicroDesign3; when run in Joyce, they just say "Illegal/Faulty Disc". I've tried imaging working discs and the origin...

FTP is not working with rom image, but working with ram image... MPC852???
Hello, I'm working on a custom board based on mpc852. I added the code below to test the using of ftp on vxworks. iam("vxworks","vxworks"); netDevCreate("ohm:","192.0.1.59",1); dataFd = open("ohm:myfile.txt",O_RDONLY,0); if (dataFd == NULL) logMsg("Cannot open \n",0,0,0,0,0,0); while ((num = read (dataFd, buf, sizeof (buf))) > 0); Then I used visionICE to load the ram image to the target. As I espect, everything works fine. But the problem comes when I build the same code with rom_copy parameter. ...

Boot hangs at TESTCFG.SYS or APM.SYS on Athlon64 with 1GB RAM
I know Daniela's recommendations to remove both drivers and did that. The system runs well but I'm not sure what depends on TESTCFG.SYS driver. I tried several combinations of both drivers to prevent the hang at boot without success. I suspect both are trying to query the same system data. If I remove only TESTCFG.SYS and keep APM it hangs at APM.SYS. Several versions of APM have been tested, including the latest one 10.139. It is really strange to me, that when I remove the second 512MB everything is fine. Both drivers load and APM suspend and shutdown (switched off) wor...

FA: Amiga 500 Dataflyer! adds Hard drive and 8megs of ram to your AMiga 500
This is a great deal on an Dataflyer 500 upgrade for the Amiga 500. Plug it in and instantly your Amiga 500 will boot from a hard drive and have 8megs of fast ram! Low price of just 15 dollars! In great condition, selling because of a move I must get rid of my Commodore collection. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8781334218&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1 Get your bids in today because auction end's early SATURDAY morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ----------------------------------------------------------- Dataflyer 500, this add'...

spectral image from elevation image image
Dear friends, I have an elevation satellite image that each pixel in this image has elevation value. For example, if we select one pixe (e.g. image(10,10)= 1300 m) which is the elevation value for this pixel location. I need to convert this elevation image into spectral image so that each pixel will have a spectral value (RGB value). I would apprecaite any comments or suggestions regarding this. Best regards Nadir ...

Drive Image 7 - first go at Image direct to DVD+RW is now a coaster after I cancelled
Hi I realise this is primarily an HDD ng but hoping that someone can steer me in the right direction. Just installed DI7 today and tried out the novelty of burning directly to DVD+RW. After 4hours it had done just 20%. Realising that I was looking at 10hrs+ for a write and verify I decided to cancel the backup. Now I find that I am unable to erase the partially burned data on the DVD. I have Nero6. After selecting ERASE disc I get a message saying "This disc is not rewritable and therefore cannot be erased". Now I can cope with the occasional CD-R coaster. Bu...

Web resources about - ADF Images and RAM discs - comp.sys.amiga.misc

Twist Image
At Twist Image, we connect brands to people and people to brands. Let us show you what we mean.

Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Images - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wikipedia contains millions of illustrative images and other electronic media . This page gives a very brief overview of how images are used ...

'Images show possible Burundi mass graves'
NPR 'Images show possible Burundi mass graves' SBS Amnesty International says satellite images show what may be five mass graves in Burundi, ...

3D video render shows LG G5 based on leaked design images
In late February, LG will unveil the LG G5 during a special media event in Barcelona, Spain, but the web is buzzing with leaks already . Continue ...

Stunning images show Martian labyrinth in vivid detail
Plateaus, trenches and landslides from the Noctis Labyrinthus region on Mars are clearly visible in a newly released image from the Mars Express ...

Tom Hiddleston Strips in New High-Rise Images - Collider
Check out a collection of new images and a new poster for Sightseers director Ben Wheatley's satire High-Rise, featuring a scantily-dressed Tom ...

Cruz's Image Among Republicans Sinks in Recent Days
Ted Cruz's net favorable rating among Republicans has dropped from as positive as +48 less than a month ago to +32. Donald Trump's image is steadier, ...

There's Something Very Strange in This New Image of Comet 67P
... view of comet 67P, but astronomers right here on Earth are following the famous space rock’s trek across the solar system too. In the image ...