How to connect a 5.25" drive to a PC and transfer discs!

Hi There

I think this question has been asked before!!!
But i hope someone can help me. A friend of mine and I have dug out our
collection of old 5.25" discs from the CPC era! Together we have about
600-700 'old' 5.25" discs. They seem to be in perfect condition, stored
in a dry cool place for about ehhh... 10 years or more!

It is not an option to get the images directly from a real CPC, because
we are far away from a real CPC!

But we have a 5.25" drive and now the question:

Is there a way to connect the 5.25" to a PC (Windows XP or Linux) and
dump the contents of the discs as .DSK images? What software do we
need?

Hope someone can help!

/Thanks,
CPCLER

0
ams464
8/15/2006 9:16:56 PM
comp.sys.amstrad.8bit 1707 articles. 0 followers. roche182 (635) is leader. Post Follow

Hy,
first of all, which format have the source disk? 2 sided 40 Tracks with 180
KB each side, or double sided 720 Kb 80 Tracks? Amsdos, DDOS (Dobbertin) or
VDOS (vortex)...
Amsdos Disks are easy to copy with an 360KB floppy Drive (40 Tracks). (You
need a pc which can handle 5,25" and 320 KB... Maybe an old 486 or 386...  i
do not know, maybe windows XP can not use this type of Floppy. As i think it
only can handle 3,5"...) Maybe the best is to use an old Pc and MSDos, then
you can use CPDRead to read the Floppys One side by one side...
Its a bit tricky to copy 720KB Disks, cause that was not a standard format
in the MSDos World...
hope this helped a bit
Tolkin

"ams464" <cpcler@spinddizzy.dyndns.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
| Hi There
|
| I think this question has been asked before!!!
| But i hope someone can help me. A friend of mine and I have dug out our
| collection of old 5.25" discs from the CPC era! Together we have about
| 600-700 'old' 5.25" discs. They seem to be in perfect condition, stored
| in a dry cool place for about ehhh... 10 years or more!
|
| It is not an option to get the images directly from a real CPC, because
| we are far away from a real CPC!
|
| But we have a 5.25" drive and now the question:
|
| Is there a way to connect the 5.25" to a PC (Windows XP or Linux) and
| dump the contents of the discs as .DSK images? What software do we
| need?
|
| Hope someone can help!
|
| /Thanks,
| CPCLER

> | Is there a way to connect the 5.25" to a PC (Windows XP or Linux) and
> | dump the contents of the discs as .DSK images? What software do we
> | need?

You can try to read them with CPCdiskXP under windows, or DSKtools under
linux, if they are standard amsdos (others formats may or may not work...)
CPCdiskXP should read any format, but it is untested on 5"1/4 disks...

http://dsktools.berlios.de/
http://www.cpcmania.com/cpcdiskxp/cpcdiskxp.htm
0
PulkoMandy
8/16/2006 8:09:44 AM
PulkoMandy skrev:

> > | Is there a way to connect the 5.25" to a PC (Windows XP or Linux) and
> > | dump the contents of the discs as .DSK images? What software do we
> > | need?
>
> You can try to read them with CPCdiskXP under windows, or DSKtools under
> linux, if they are standard amsdos (others formats may or may not work...)
> CPCdiskXP should read any format, but it is untested on 5"1/4 disks...
>
> http://dsktools.berlios.de/
> http://www.cpcmania.com/cpcdiskxp/cpcdiskxp.htm

Thanks alot for all the suggestions!

I have connected the 5.25" drive to a PC.. And CPCdiskXP does work, but
only partly!

I can only access one side the floppy discs.

I remember on my original 5.25"  drive,which was of german origin, had
a pretty clever switch called a "seitenumshalter". By using the switch
it was not nessecary to turn the floppy disc to access side B and vice
versa!

All the discs are formatted in "standard" AMSDOS.

Does anyone know what i can do to simulate a side switch on the PC!

/Thanks

CPCLER!

0
ams464
8/18/2006 6:51:15 PM
ams464 schrieb:

>> You can try to read them with CPCdiskXP under windows, or DSKtools und=
er
> I have connected the 5.25" drive to a PC.. And CPCdiskXP does work, but=

> only partly!
> I can only access one side the floppy discs.
> Does anyone know what i can do to simulate a side switch on the PC!

Uhm, maybe by using the appropriate option ("Side A", "Side B" or "Side
A+B") of the program?

--=20
Mit freundlichen Gr=FC=DFen
Hauke Hagenhoff
0
Hauke
8/18/2006 9:00:09 PM
> Does anyone know what i can do to simulate a side switch on the PC!

If your drive is a double-sided one, CPCdiskXP should read the other
side. If it doesn't, send a bug report to the programmer :)

The trick on cpc to read the second side on a two-sided drive is to
force the side signal. This is done by connecting pins 3 and 4 on the
cable. I think you can solder a switch directly on the drive if you
don't want to break your cable...

However, if your drive is single-sided, I don't think you can read the
two sides... this would require adding a second index whole on the
disks, to be able to read it even when inserted with the second side up.
0
PulkoMandy