54g Wireless - Mac Os 10 and Mac Os X

Hi there,

I have two apple laptops coming into our work network - one is an oldish
IBook with an original Airport card which supports 64bit WEP and the other
is a brand new IBook with 128bit WEP security. Our wireless network router
is a belkin but only allows us to set 64 bit OR 128 bit - is there anyway of
allowing either of these computers onto the network whilst securing it?

Thanks

Wesley

comp.sys.apple2 11066 articles. 3 followers. antoine.vignau (1077) is leader. Post Follow

Blue Wezza wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have two apple laptops coming into our work network - one is an oldish
> IBook with an original Airport card which supports 64bit WEP and the other
> is a brand new IBook with 128bit WEP security. Our wireless network router
> is a belkin but only allows us to set 64 bit OR 128 bit - is there anyway of
> allowing either of these computers onto the network whilst securing it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Wesley

G'day Blue,

comp.sys.apple2 is for discussions relating to the old pre-Macintosh
Apple 2 line of computers (and close relatives) which includes the Apple
1, Apple ][, Apple ][+, Apple ][ europlus, Bell and Howell, Apple //e,
Apple //c, Apple //c+, Apple ///, Apple ///+, and Apple IIGS.

Please try comp.sys.mac instead.

Martin
Thanks Martin, sorry about that!

In article <3bdh26F6gl5tnU1@individual.net>, Blue Wezza
<blue-wezza@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have two apple laptops coming into our work network - one is an oldish
> IBook with an original Airport card which supports 64bit WEP and the other
> is a brand new IBook with 128bit WEP security. Our wireless network router
> is a belkin but only allows us to set 64 bit OR 128 bit - is there anyway of
> allowing either of these computers onto the network whilst securing it?

sure - update the firmware on the airport card and you'll get 128 bit
wep.  if you are running mac os x 10.3 (panther) you will even get wpa
too.

run software update and select all of the airport related items.  you
may want to update the other stuff too.  note that you may need to run
the updater a few times, as some updates require earlier updates.

it is also wise to run disk utility before updating to be sure there
are no major disk problems which can potentially affect system software
changes (and anything else for that matter).
0
nospam59 (11089)
4/4/2005 9:35:51 PM
Blue Wezza <blue-wezza@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I have two apple laptops coming into our work network - one is an oldish
> IBook with an original Airport card which supports 64bit WEP and the other
> is a brand new IBook with 128bit WEP security. Our wireless network router
> is a belkin but only allows us to set 64 bit OR 128 bit - is there anyway of
> allowing either of these computers onto the network whilst securing it?

Upgrade the OS on the older iBook, if necessary, so that it will have a
recent version of the AirPort driver. Any AirPort card can do WEP 128 or
WPA.

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 19:58:09 +0100, in alt.internet.wireless , "Blue
Wezza" <blue-wezza@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I have two apple laptops coming into our work network - one is an oldish
>IBook with an original Airport card which supports 64bit WEP and the other
>is a brand new IBook with 128bit WEP security. Our wireless network router
>is a belkin but only allows us to set 64 bit OR 128 bit - is there anyway of
>allowing either of these computers onto the network whilst securing it?

Yes, use 64-bit on both cards. But remember that WEP is about as
secure as a chocolate safe.

--
Mark McIntyre
markmcintyre (4555)

"Neill Massello" <neillmassello@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Blue Wezza <blue-wezza@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I have two apple laptops coming into our work network - one is an oldish
>> IBook with an original Airport card which supports 64bit WEP and the
>> other
>> is a brand new IBook with 128bit WEP security. Our wireless network
>> router
>> is a belkin but only allows us to set 64 bit OR 128 bit - is there anyway
>> of
>> allowing either of these computers onto the network whilst securing it?
>
> Upgrade the OS on the older iBook, if necessary, so that it will have a
> recent version of the AirPort driver. Any AirPort card can do WEP 128 or
> WPA.

Cheers Mark