Apple II GS 3 1/2 and 5 1/4 floppy drive: can they be combined?

Hi,

I have some questions if and how to combine 3 1/5 and 5 1/4 inch on the II GS. I
cannot find the answers in the FAQs (which i think are filled with lots os good
info!)

Last week I acquired an Apple II GS with a  3 1/5 and 5 1/4 inch original floppy
drives. ROM 01, 512 KB RAM card, RGB monitor.
Alas no software  nor documents came with this machine.
I do have Apple II, IIe and IIc machines with DOS 3.3 and Prodos 1.x and Apple
Pascal 1.3 and Appleworks 2  on 5 1/4 floppies and those work fine on the II GS
on the 5 1/4.
Ofcourse I need to get some more II GS specific manuals and operating systems
and software. Also the 512K has to become extended to 1 MB (i have enough 41256
IC's to do that)  and the battery is also dead (also easy to replace thanks to
the faq).

Questions:

1. Can 3 1/5 and 5 1/4 inch floppy drives be combned?
2. What OS supports this?
3. Does Apple Pascal support this?

Hans, http://www.hansotten.com
0
nobody1987 (62)
6/8/2004 6:27:53 PM
comp.sys.apple2 11066 articles. 3 followers. antoine.vignau (1077) is leader. Post Follow

> 1. Can 3 1/5 and 5 1/4 inch floppy drives be combned?
>
> 3. Does Apple Pascal support this?

We use Pascal 1.3 with 3.5 and 5.25 inch floppies on a IIGS.

BTW, does anyone know how to write to a Pascal volume (on
floppy) from GS/OS?  We'd like to transfer programs from
HFS floppies to a Pascal volume (better than having to setup
a null-modem cable/terminal emulator session from within
Pascal to import files).

Michael Grigoni
Cybertheque Museum
0
msg1638 (10)
6/8/2004 6:43:37 PM
> 1. Can 3 1/5 and 5 1/4 inch floppy drives be combned?

Yes. The 3,5" drive comes first, the 5,25" drive goes to the 3,5" drive.
I'm not completely sure but I think you can connect upo to four drives
but only two of each kind.

FAQ here: http://home.swbell.net/rubywand/A2FAQs5MAINHALL.html#013

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Hans Otten wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have some questions if and how to combine 3 1/5 and 5 1/4 inch on the
> II GS. I cannot find the answers in the FAQs (which i think are filled
> with lots os good info!)
>
> Last week I acquired an Apple II GS with a 3 1/5 and 5 1/4 inch original
> floppy drives. ROM 01, 512 KB RAM card, RGB monitor.  Alas no software
> nor documents came with this machine. I do have Apple II, IIe and IIc
> machines with DOS 3.3 and Prodos 1.x and Apple Pascal 1.3 and Appleworks
> 2 on 5 1/4 floppies and those work fine on the II GS on the 5 1/4.
> Ofcourse I need to get some more II GS specific manuals and operating
> systems and software. Also the 512K has to become extended to 1 MB (i
> have enough 41256 IC's to do that)  and the battery is also dead (also
> easy to replace thanks to the faq).
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Can 3 1/5 and 5 1/4 inch floppy drives be combned?

Yes; 3.5" drive goes in slot 5, 5.25" in 6.

> 2. What OS supports this?

ProDOS.

> 3. Does Apple Pascal support this?

I have seen Pascal 3.5" disks.

-uso.

0
dosius (43)
6/8/2004 9:16:32 PM
In article <40C608D9.4B2FA7B6@REMOVETHIScybertheque.org>,
 msg <msg@REMOVETHIScybertheque.org> wrote:

> > 1. Can 3 1/5 and 5 1/4 inch floppy drives be combned?
> >
> > 3. Does Apple Pascal support this?
> >

> We use Pascal 1.3 with 3.5 and 5.25 inch floppies on a IIGS.

Just use the FORMATTER.CODE program to format the 3.5" disk. It
gets the boot blocks right.

> BTW, does anyone know how to write to a Pascal volume (on
> floppy) from GS/OS?  We'd like to transfer programs from
> HFS floppies to a Pascal volume (better than having to setup
> a null-modem cable/terminal emulator session from within
> Pascal to import files).
>
> Michael Grigoni
> Cybertheque Museum

Apple's System Utilities 3.1 can copy files to and from ProDOS
and Pascal.

John
----
jmatthews at wright dot edu
www dot wright dot edu/~john.matthews/
0
nospam21 (19047)

Thanks for the answers!, It starts to work now thanks to your advice and the
faq's.
What really helped was the advice first the 3 1/2 and then the 5 1/4 drive.
Also replacing the battery and adding the maximum 1 MB memory on my card helped
to speed up and getting a RAM disk.

Hans, http://www.hansotten.com
0
nobody1987 (62)