Apple II Z80 Card

I have a vintage Apple ][e I picked up on eBay. Over time I have
collected several cards which after cleaning. reseating chips,
cleaning slot lands, etc I have gotten them up and running. Recently I
obtained a Z80 card. The card is very similar to the card that is
shown at this URL:
http://www.apple2clones.com/?q=node/view/222

However there seem to be several minor cosmetic differences. In the
upper left corner, between chip U1 and U4 is a silk-screened number
534-003. To the immediate right of this number (in a different font)
is the number 9309.
Immediately above the U1 chip is the lettering Z80 and at the lower
legt (below chip U3) it says Made in Japan.
The model of the processor chip is: "Goldstar Z8400A PS 9247".

My questions are:
(1) This seems to be "yet another clone 8088/Z80 expansion card" but I
am not sure which slot to insert it into. Some sites say slot 7, some
say slot 5, some say slot 4. Can anybody provide some guidance?
(2) When I use ADP (either the PRO or the DOS) version to make what I
think is a CPM boot disk from a .DSK image, the Apple doesn't boot,
rather it goes to the monitor routine. Can ADP be used to make a CP/M
"master" or boot disk?
(3) I habe looked at several Apple CP/M sites to identofy what I think
is a CP/M "master" or boot disk, but perhape I am mistaken. Can
somebody direct me to a specific CP/M "master" or boot disk?
(4) Can someone poitn me to where an explanation of the settings for
the 4 DIP switches on the board is available?

My system is a Apple ][e with the 80 column expansion board, and SSC
comm board and the floppy disk controller. Using information available
from the FAQs as well as the newsgroups I have been able to make
PRODOS and DOS diskettes, ADP diskettes, and several utility
diskettes, so I know my current "equipment" works (both null-modem
cable, SSC board, Apple ][e and Windows Laptop), so without a hardware
problem, my issue must be either software or "process/procedural", or
perhaps the Z80 card itself.

Any ehlp/guidance will be appreciated.

Ed

0
Ed.Orbea (8)
9/18/2007 1:07:06 AM
comp.sys.apple2 11066 articles. 4 followers. antoine.vignau (1077) is leader. Post Follow

In article <1190077626.506555.235150@22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com>,
Ed.Orbea@gmail.com <Ed.Orbea@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a vintage Apple ][e I picked up on eBay. Over time I have
> collected several cards which after cleaning. reseating chips,
> cleaning slot lands, etc I have gotten them up and running. Recently I
> obtained a Z80 card. The card is very similar to the card that is
> shown at this URL:
> http://www.apple2clones.com/?q=node/view/222
>
> However there seem to be several minor cosmetic differences. In the
> upper left corner, between chip U1 and U4 is a silk-screened number
> 534-003. To the immediate right of this number (in a different font)
> is the number 9309.
> Immediately above the U1 chip is the lettering Z80 and at the lower
> legt (below chip U3) it says Made in Japan.
> The model of the processor chip is: "Goldstar Z8400A PS 9247".
>
> My questions are:
> (1) This seems to be "yet another clone 8088/Z80 expansion card" but I
> am not sure which slot to insert it into. Some sites say slot 7, some
> say slot 5, some say slot 4. Can anybody provide some guidance?

You can use any free slot really (except slot 0, and in a II europlus
also except slot 7), because the boot code scans the slots, looking
for the Z80 card.  Quite often slot 4 is used, mostly because it's
often still free when you have a lot of other cards in your Apple II
(slot 0: language card, slot 1: printer card, slot 2: serial port
card, slot 3: 80-column card, slots 5 and 6: disk controller cards,
slot 7: PAL card).

> (2) When I use ADP (either the PRO or the DOS) version to make what I
> think is a CPM boot disk from a .DSK image, the Apple doesn't boot,
> rather it goes to the monitor routine. Can ADP be used to make a CP/M
> "master" or boot disk?

Dunno .... what's "ADP" ????

> (3) I have looked at several Apple CP/M sites to identofy what I think
> is a CP/M "master" or boot disk, but perhape I am mistaken. Can
> somebody direct me to a specific CP/M "master" or boot disk?

If you list the sites you've looked at, I could point you to some disk
image which seems OK.  Or you could just try them until you find one
which works.  Assuming your Z80 card is a Softcard clone, you should
try disk images of "SoftCard CP/M" or "Apple CP/M", and avoid images
of "AppliCard CP/M" or "CP/M Card CP/M+" - the latter two require
different kinds of Z80 cards.

To test if the disk image is a valid Softcard CP/M boot disk, try to
boot it without any Z80 card in your Apple II - you should then get an
error message saying "CANNOT FIND Z80 SOFTCARD".  If you get that
error message, you know that the boot disk is looking for a softcard.
Now, turn off the power, insert your Z80 card in any slot but slot 0
(and, in an Apple II eurplus, also except slot 7), then boot again.
If your Z80 card really is a SoftCard clone, and if its hardware works
OK, and if all four DIP switches are set in the "off" position, then
CP/M should boot up.

> (4) Can someone poitn me to where an explanation of the settings for
> the 4 DIP switches on the board is available?

The standard setting of these 4 DIP switches is all four in the "off"
position.  They control the hardware behaviour of the Z80 card (e.g.
whether the translation of Z80 addresses to 6502 addresses should be
enabled or not), and you shouldn't fiddle with them unless you really
know what you're doing.  Setting these switches into anything but the
standard position will most likely mean you're not able to run CP/M on
that card - you'd have to run code you write yourself, code which is
adapted to the non-standard setting of the card's DIP switches.

> My system is a Apple ][e with the 80 column expansion board, and SSC
> comm board and the floppy disk controller. Using information available
> from the FAQs as well as the newsgroups I have been able to make
> PRODOS and DOS diskettes, ADP diskettes, and several utility
> diskettes, so I know my current "equipment" works (both null-modem
> cable, SSC board, Apple ][e and Windows Laptop), so without a hardware
> problem, my issue must be either software or "process/procedural", or
> perhaps the Z80 card itself.
>
> Any help/guidance will be appreciated.
>
> Ed
Paul Schlyter,  Grev Turegatan 40,  SE-114 38 Stockholm,  SWEDEN
e-mail:  pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW:     http://stjarnhimlen.se/
0
pausch3 (497)
9/18/2007 7:12:34 AM
Ed.Orbea@gmail.com wrote:

> My questions are:
> (1) This seems to be "yet another clone 8088/Z80 expansion card" but I
> am not sure which slot to insert it into. Some sites say slot 7, some
> say slot 5, some say slot 4. Can anybody provide some guidance?

It's "Yet Another Microsoft Softcard Clone". Paul's response explains the slot
issue quite well.

> (2) When I use ADP (either the PRO or the DOS) version to make what I
> think is a CPM boot disk from a .DSK image, the Apple doesn't boot,
> rather it goes to the monitor routine. Can ADP be used to make a CP/M
> "master" or boot disk?

That's a good question...  I would _think_ that ADP could do just what you are
expecting.  It's possible that the card and/or the image are bad.

> (3) I habe looked at several Apple CP/M sites to identofy what I think
> is a CP/M "master" or boot disk, but perhape I am mistaken. Can
> somebody direct me to a specific CP/M "master" or boot disk?

You can use Microsoft CP/M 2.20B, 2.23 or Applied Engineering CP/AM (any
version).

0
snhirsch (1237)
9/18/2007 11:45:38 AM
Steven Hirsch wrote:

> That's a good question...  I would _think_ that ADP could do just what
> you are expecting.  It's possible that the card and/or the image are bad.

I have used the old DOS 3.3 version of ADP without any issues to make
the CP/M image.

-Alex.
0
alexf (262)
9/19/2007 10:03:22 AM
Alex Freed <alexf@mirrow.com> wrote:

> Steven Hirsch wrote:
> >
> > That's a good question...  I would _think_ that ADP could do just what
> > you are expecting.  It's possible that the card and/or the image are bad.
> >

> I have used the old DOS 3.3 version of ADP without any issues to make
> the CP/M image.
>
> -Alex.
Don't you guys mean ADT? I've never heard of ADP and a google search
turns up nothing Apple II related except this thread...

Regards,
Anthony.
0
alawther (24)
9/19/2007 11:53:27 AM
In article <1i4pdte.c5gow01wivfnoN%alawther@spammenot.mac.com>,
Anthony Lawther <alawther@spammenot.mac.com> wrote:

> Alex Freed <alexf@mirrow.com> wrote:
>
>> Steven Hirsch wrote:
>>
>>> That's a good question...  I would _think_ that ADP could do just what
>>> you are expecting.  It's possible that the card and/or the image are bad.
>>>

>> I have used the old DOS 3.3 version of ADP without any issues to make
>> the CP/M image.
>>
>> -Alex.
>
> Don't you guys mean ADT? I've never heard of ADP and a google search
> turns up nothing Apple II related except this thread...
>
> Regards,
> Anthony.

That explains why I didn't know what ADP was.....  :-)

ADT works fine for transferring CP/M disks too.  I have successfully
transferred Apple CP/M floppies to .DSK images, using ADT and DOS 3.3
sector ordering -- these .DSK images then ran fine on the Apple Oasis
emulator - which afaik is the only Apple II emulator which also
emulates the Z80 softcard.

Paul Schlyter,  Grev Turegatan 40,  SE-114 38 Stockholm,  SWEDEN
e-mail:  pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW:     http://stjarnhimlen.se/
0
pausch3 (497)
9/19/2007 6:42:46 PM
On Sep 19, 2:42 pm, pau...@saaf.se (Paul Schlyter) wrote:
> [...] these .DSK images then ran fine on the Apple Oasis
> emulator - which afaik is the only Apple II emulator which also
> emulates the Z80 softcard.
Nope, Virtual ][ does too.  http://www.virtualii.com/  Maybe you meant
the only emulator running under Windows?

0
schmidtd (1096)
9/19/2007 6:58:15 PM
In article <1190228295.166068.197060@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
schmidtd  <schmidtd@my-deja.com> wrote:

> On Sep 19, 2:42 pm, pau...@saaf.se (Paul Schlyter) wrote:
>> [...] these .DSK images then ran fine on the Apple Oasis
>> emulator - which afaik is the only Apple II emulator which also
>> emulates the Z80 softcard.
>
> Nope, Virtual ][ does too.  http://www.virtualii.com/  Maybe you
> meant the only emulator running under Windows?

Check out:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFAIK#A

afaik = As Far As I Know.  So I meant the only emulator to my
knowledge - thanks for updating me.

Paul Schlyter,  Grev Turegatan 40,  SE-114 38 Stockholm,  SWEDEN
e-mail:  pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW:     http://stjarnhimlen.se/
0
pausch3 (497)
9/19/2007 8:42:56 PM
Thanks for the information. I was able to successfully boot into CP/M.
The problem was two fold:
(a) The Z80 processor needed to be reseated in it's socket
(b) I needed to use the correct (Z80 Softcard) CP/M .DSK file

Once I did these two things and followed the information provided by
the members of this group, I was able to boot into CP/M

Thanks everybody

Ed

0
Ed.Orbea (8)
9/20/2007 1:18:35 AM
Ed.Orbea@gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks for the information. I was able to successfully boot into CP/M.
> The problem was two fold:
> (a) The Z80 processor needed to be reseated in it's socket
> (b) I needed to use the correct (Z80 Softcard) CP/M .DSK file
>
> Once I did these two things and followed the information provided by
> the members of this group, I was able to boot into CP/M
>
> Thanks everybody

And thank you, for reminding us that the socketed chips on expansion
cards also need occasional reseating, just as the socketed chips on
the main board of the Apple II do.

-michael

NadaPong: Network game demo for Apple II computers!
Home page:  http://members.aol.com/MJMahon/

"The wastebasket is our most important design
tool--and it's seriously underused."
0
mjmahon (7061)