Apple IIe RGB card?

I have an Apple card which is labeled:

A//e Ext. 80 col/RGB (1984 video 7)

This will sound like a dumb question, but is this an RGB card? I don't have
the dongle for it, so I'm not sure. Would this go into the AUX slot?

Does anyone know the pin-outs for this, so that I could have a dongle made
for it? It has 16 pins on the plug.

It also has two dip switches. Does anyone know what those are for?

Thanks.

E.

comp.sys.apple2 10598 articles. 0 followers. antoine.vignau (1077) is leader. Post Follow

In <S%i3d.10888$wV.8700@attbi_s54> Ernest wrote:
> I have an Apple card which is labeled:
>
> A//e Ext. 80 col/RGB (1984 video 7)
>
> This will sound like a dumb question, but is this an RGB card? I don't
> have the dongle for it, so I'm not sure. Would this go into the AUX
> slot?
>
> Does anyone know the pin-outs for this, so that I could have a dongle
> made for it? It has 16 pins on the plug.
>
> It also has two dip switches. Does anyone know what those are for?
>
> Thanks.
>
> E.

It's the Apple combined 64KB RAM/RGB video card for the Apple IIe
auxilliary slot. I knew Video 7 used to make RGB adapters for the IIc,
but I never knew the IIe card sold under Apple's name was made by Video
7 too.

The card ouputs digital RGB video in the Apple III XRGB format. The
connector it's supposed to have will be a 15-pin D socket, wired the
same as the Apple III. It's designed to drive the AppleColor 100 display.

Switches on RGB cards are generally for setting a single foreground and
a single background colour in text mode, instead of just white on black.
The IIGS lets you do the same thing. However this card is unusual in
that it allows for full software control of the text colours. Each
character can have its own foreground and background colours.
Unfortunately this extended text mode never made it to the IIc, IIGS or
other RGB cards, and I don't know of any software that supports it
except for a demonstration disk that originally came with the card. A
disk image is available from one of the Apple II software archives (
sorry, I can't remember which one I saw it on).

http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

rojaws2 (362)
9/20/2004 11:22:46 AM
"Roger Johnstone" <rojaws@orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
> In <S%i3d.10888$wV.8700@attbi_s54> Ernest wrote:
> > I have an Apple card which is labeled:
> >
> > A//e Ext. 80 col/RGB (1984 video 7)
> >
> > This will sound like a dumb question, but is this an RGB card? I don't
> > have the dongle for it, so I'm not sure. Would this go into the AUX
> > slot?
> >
> > Does anyone know the pin-outs for this, so that I could have a dongle
> > made for it? It has 16 pins on the plug.
> >
> > It also has two dip switches. Does anyone know what those are for?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > E.
>
> It's the Apple combined 64KB RAM/RGB video card for the Apple IIe
> auxilliary slot. I knew Video 7 used to make RGB adapters for the IIc,
> but I never knew the IIe card sold under Apple's name was made by Video
> 7 too.
>
> The card ouputs digital RGB video in the Apple III XRGB format. The
> connector it's supposed to have will be a 15-pin D socket, wired the
> same as the Apple III. It's designed to drive the AppleColor 100 display.
>
> Switches on RGB cards are generally for setting a single foreground and
> a single background colour in text mode, instead of just white on black.
> The IIGS lets you do the same thing. However this card is unusual in
> that it allows for full software control of the text colours. Each
> character can have its own foreground and background colours.
> Unfortunately this extended text mode never made it to the IIc, IIGS or
> other RGB cards, and I don't know of any software that supports it
> except for a demonstration disk that originally came with the card. A
> disk image is available from one of the Apple II software archives (
> sorry, I can't remember which one I saw it on).
>
> --
> Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand
> http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

I had read on one site that video 7 produced the rgb board which apple then
adopted.

Here ia a site with some pinouts .

http://www.apple2.org.za/mirrors/ground.icaen.uiowa.edu/MiscInfo/Video/rgb15pin

0
laine (122)
9/20/2004 2:03:43 PM
Finally!!  That explains it!

I've been looking for that info for quite some time. My first Apple //e had
one of those cards with the Monitor 100. I was wondering for a long time why
I could turn on the 80col card, turn off 80col mode and use aux memory to
set the background color and forground color by writing to the high and low
nibbles of the appropriate bytes in the aux memory text page 1. I really
miss that ability.

"Roger Johnstone" <rojaws@orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
> It's the Apple combined 64KB RAM/RGB video card for the Apple IIe
> auxilliary slot. I knew Video 7 used to make RGB adapters for the IIc,
> but I never knew the IIe card sold under Apple's name was made by Video
> 7 too.
>
> The card ouputs digital RGB video in the Apple III XRGB format. The
> connector it's supposed to have will be a 15-pin D socket, wired the
> same as the Apple III. It's designed to drive the AppleColor 100 display.
>
> Switches on RGB cards are generally for setting a single foreground and
> a single background colour in text mode, instead of just white on black.
> The IIGS lets you do the same thing. However this card is unusual in
> that it allows for full software control of the text colours. Each
> character can have its own foreground and background colours.
> Unfortunately this extended text mode never made it to the IIc, IIGS or
> other RGB cards, and I don't know of any software that supports it
> except for a demonstration disk that originally came with the card. A
> disk image is available from one of the Apple II software archives (
> sorry, I can't remember which one I saw it on).
>
> --
> Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand
> http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/
>   No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?
>
>               Kryten, from the Red Dwarf episode "The Last Day"

0
rk1 (63)

APPLE AIRPORT DRM CRACKED
We here you go... A perfect example of just how good DRM works on a piece of consumer hardware... The APPLE AIRPORT that a streams music to you stereo using ITUNES DRM has been cracked. In fact, there's a windows utility with sourcecode, free for download, that allows anyone to stream there favorite music files (NOT just iTunes encrypted music files) from your personal computer to your family stereo. Without a doubt, other platforms are soon to follow. How long has the airport been on the market place? And what good is DRM going to be anyways? -- ***********************************...

Sleazy Apple sued again!
"Just works" has been replaced by "Always broke". http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/05/15/apple-iphone-button-lawsuit/?source=yahoo_quote Woman buys an iPhone 4. Fifteen months later the power button stops working. She calls AT&T (T). They send her to Apple (AAPL). She works her way up and down the customer service chain and gets tough love at every turn: Her warranty expired three months ago. She has two choices. Pay for repair ($149 plus shipping) or buy new phone. She goes to the Internet. Finds a thread on Apple's community support site with hu...

RGB, NTSC, SECAM resolution!!!
Hey, hows everyone in the tech world! I am trying to get my head around all these different types of tv, and graphics like CGA and VGA. The problem is, I understand how CGA is 320x200, vga is 640 x 480 etc, so what is: RGB NTSC SECAM in terms of this resolution?? I can't figure it out. Can anyone help me please? What do you mean with RGB, that makes no sense in the list. Do you mean PAL, which is 720x576? Television resolutions are always fussy, as most are interlaced (half the resolution) and not all cathode ray tubes display the whole part of an image. NTSC has less lines, but refresh...

Apple is finished
Truthfully - there will be no one like THE STEVE. Cook & Co. are now going to do things THEIR way -and THEIR way is not THE STEVE'S way. My crystal ball says: "I see kitchen appliances in Apple future." >"Redjak" wrote in message news:j6isbd$idc$1@dont-email.me... >Truthfully - there will be no one like THE STEVE. >Cook & Co. are now going to do things THEIR way -and THEIR way is not >THE STEVE'S way. >My crystal ball says: "I see kitchen appliances in Apple future." It looks like the ...

(HP50G)Is it Possible tue see files on an SD card using the Connectivity Software
I have finally been able to connect to my HP50G reliably using version 2.3 Build 2439 of the Connectivity Software. It is much easier to move files around,create directories,delete files,etc than it is to use the onboard File Manager. I am not always so careful in placing similar programs or data in subject created directories or sub-directories. Is it possible to use the software to access the files on the SD card in the same way? If not, I would humbly suggest that this feature be added in any future iterations of the software. Harold A Climer Dept.Of Physics,Geology,and Astronomy...

IBM 00F3927 HAMMER DRIVER CARD P/N: 00F3927 auction
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1246&item=6744836790< Must be to drive a printer. -- Reply to ohland@charter.net On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 08:44:43 -0500, Louis Ohland <nullnvoid@charter.net> wrote: >>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1246&item=6744836790 Yup a 6262, band printer. 132 character line at something like 120 LPM. There may have been a faster model. Definately a low rent chatterbox to a guy who worked on 4248s or 3800s gfretw...@aol.com wrote: > On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 08:44:43 -0500, Louis ...

Apple stole iBooks?
Yep! http://techcrunch.com/2010/01/27/think-ibooks-looks-familiar-youre-not-the-only-one/ Apple is up to their old Xerox thievery. In article <7222c295-80df-4342-8c24-00e4af5a8549@k10g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, MuahMan <muahman@gmail.com> wrote: > Yep! > > http://techcrunch.com/2010/01/27/think-ibooks-looks-familiar-youre-not-the-onl > y-one/ > > > Apple is up to their old Xerox thievery. Funny. The man who created Delicious Library disagrees: �But the thing about iBooks is, it�s a book-reader. So, of course they looked aro...

[News] [Rival] Apple and Microsoft Draconian Licensing Backfires

Dual-Link AGP Card? #2
Anybody know of a dual-link AGP card that supports direct x 9? I would prefer a NVIDIA card but I'm willing to consider ATI. Also is it asking to much for the card to passively cooled, I don't game and the only reason I need direct x 9 is for windows vista. In article <43d62b9e$0$3737$6d36acad@titian.nntpserver.com>, Kyonn Gowans says... > Anybody know of a dual-link AGP card that supports direct x 9? I would > prefer a NVIDIA card but I'm willing to consider ATI. Also is it asking to > much for the card to passively cooled, I don't game and the only reason I...

apple mac app store more megalomania
links from the former apple downloads pages are being redirected to the mac app store where all downloads are controlled, registered, recorded and databased on the path to Lion (Mac looks like iOS) all apps available (maybe only) from the app store for mac, iphone, ipod etc. loss of freeware shareware - all paid apps from mac app store just speculation, other opinions and facts welcome In article <4d4eee52$0$23760$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>, opinion <opinion@opine.net> wrote: > links from the former apple downloads pages are being redirected to the > mac a...

Answers from Steve Jobs at Apple's Shareholder Meeting

More Apple ineptitude
http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20060320081708678 Apple should stick to iPods. In article <jveUf.116252$Mh4.111672@fe02.news.easynews.com>, Stew <antwun@yahoo.com> wrote: > http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20060320081708678 You should stick to Windows NG's, like comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy There, you'd be wanted. -- Yours, Tom Tom Bates wrote: > In article <jveUf.116252$Mh4.111672@fe02.news.easynews.com>, > Stew <antwun@yahoo.com> wrote: > >> http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20060320081708678 > >...

Apple CPM manual collection
I have the following Apple CPM Manual Collection. Copies not originals. Any ideas of who these would be of historical or academic interest ? 1) Microsoft CP/M Reference Manual Microsoft Softcard Microsoft Consumer Products 400 108th Ave NE Suite 200 Bellevue WA 98004 imagine in one suite on the 2nd floor humble beginnings 2) Microsoft TASC Compiler Manual Microsoft TASC The Applesoft Compiler same address but with phone number ( 206) 454-1315 maybe its Bill's now Catalog No 2222 Part No. 20F22 as if they had 2000 other products 3)Apple II ProDos Reference Manual 4) Apple II Dos ...

teh G5, 64 bit computing,Intel/AMD, M$ and Apple
From ars.technica on the need for 64-bit computing. In the past, the marketplace focused on "processor speed" as the yardstick. Is the new measure the measure of "64 bit computing, the OS and apps" they ask? If nothing else, a pretty good read on perhaps everybody in the comsumer space. http://www.arstechnica.com/etc/mac/index.html -- Jim Polaski "The measure of a man is what he will do knowing he will get nothing in return." In article <jpolaski-F6AF9A.11500218022004@netnews.comcast.net>, Jim Polaski <jpolaski@NOync.net> wrote: > From a...

Computer system with automatic adapter card setup
5,329,634 http://www.uspto.gov/patft/index.html A computer adapter card (204) includes a plurality of setup registers (224-226) for receiving setup parameters during initialization of the computer system. Each of the setup registers of an adapter card is accessed at the same address as the corresponding setup register of all other adapter cards in the system. The adapter card is designed to be connected to a computer bus (201) that does not include individual setup lines for each of the adapter cards in the system. To select an individual adapter card, each adapter card inclu...

transfering apple II basic files to Apple
Hi! How do I send Apple Basic files back to the Apple to be saved on a 5.25" disk? Thanks! John John <johnisripp@charter.net> wrote: > Hi! How do I send Apple Basic files back to the Apple to be saved on a > 5.25" disk? What format are they in now? If you have them on a disk image in an emulator, you can move the disk image back to the Apple II with the usual set of tools (see the c.s.a2 FAQ for URLs). -- Send mail to fadden@fadden.com (Andy McFadden) - http://www.fadden.com/ CD-Recordable FAQ - http://www.cdrfaq.org/ CiderPress Apple II archive utility for Wi...

Apple COO chats about iPhone
worth glancing over. the main gem is WiFi is going to be the method most people will use to surf / connect with an iPhone... not 3G. By AppleInsider Staff Published: 04:00 PM EST Speaking at the Goldman Sachs Technology Investment Symposium this week, Apple's second in command Tim Cook talked at length about the upcoming iPhone, revealing some of the methodology that went into the product's development as well as the executive decisions that lead to the company's partnership with Cingular. The 45 minute Q&A session was recorded and made available as a streaming QuickTi...

How Appl could crush Dell?
http://apcmag.com/5359/how_apple_could_crush_dell_better_windows_pcs (Certainly one fellow's opinion.) -- Jim "Jim Polaski" <jpolaski@NOync.net> wrote in message news:jpolaski-328119.10150918022007@comcast.dca.giganews.com... > http://apcmag.com/5359/how_apple_could_crush_dell_better_windows_pcs > > (Certainly one fellow's opinion.) Yea Apple's only chance to compete is to stop making hardware-unique Macs and make PCs like they're doing now. Oh and they can let them run Windows too. Apple can cash in on Windows' massive popularity. ...

Apple IIe floppies to ssd images
Hi, I have a pile of old 128k Apple prodos and dos3.3 disks. I would like to get these converted over to ssd images to run in an Apple 2 emulator. There are about 20 disks. I don't know whether they are still readable. They have been in storage for quite a while. I am in Sydney, Australia, but would be prepared to send the disks overseas and pay a modest fee if it got the job done. - Bernard D. ozstarguyatgmail On 12/1/14 8:55 PM, bjdee wrote: > I am in Sydney, Australia, but would be prepared to send the disks overseas and pay a modest fee if it got the job done. >...

what apple is this?
Hello, I need an identification of this Apple whose label has been lost. http://pagesperso-orange.fr/gtello/whatapple1.jpg http://pagesperso-orange.fr/gtello/whatapple2.jpg Thanks! Guillaume. Guillaume Tello <houten.van@wanadoo.fr> wrote: > I need an identification of this Apple whose label has been lost. > > http://pagesperso-orange.fr/gtello/whatapple1.jpg > http://pagesperso-orange.fr/gtello/whatapple2.jpg That isn't a genuine Apple ][. It is a clone of some kind. The general shape of the case and the layout of the main part of the keyboard are similar to a...

Apple Loses Appeal in Japanese Click Wheel Infringement Case,,50. Patently Legal
http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2014/04/apple-loses-appeal-in-japanese-click-wheel-infringement-case.html -- Harry On 5/21/2014 7:49 PM, Harry Mudd wrote: > http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2014/04/apple-loses-appeal-in-japanese-click-wheel-infringement-case.html > So Apple is a patent thief too, eh? -- Harry So if Samsung "won" by having to pay Apple over $100 million. Does that mean Apple "won" even bigger by only having to pay $3 million ? On 2014-05-21 23:49:53 +0000, Harry Mudd said: > http://www.patentlyapple.com/pat...

good apple 2 emulator
I am new to this forum and am looking for a good link to a apple 2 emulator and site with some classic apple 2 games like lode runner, conan the barbarian, moon patrol, montezuma's revenge, transavania Hi Below some links OK. I use Oasis...nice but don't work with XP Have a nice day Jean Pierre http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/4414/ http://www.tomcharlesworth.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ http://www.zip.com.au/~alexm/faq/ "SiK_cHoDe" <sik_chode@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:niRZb.70053$Wa.37531@news-server.bigpond.net.au... > I am ne...

Apple the #1 brand
From Brandjunkies. http://brandchannel.com/start1.asp?fa_id=415 -- Jim ...

[News] [Rival] Apple's Long Road (Lesser-Known) Failures

Fedora Core 6 supports my 7+ year old ATI TV Wonder Card
I've been using Fedora Core 6 for 2 weeks now (this is my first-ever installation of Linux). My biggest worry was driver support, but in the end, there was really nothing to worry about. When I bought a new PC 4 years ago with WinXP, I transferred my ATI TV Wonder Card that I had on my old Win95 machine. Now, this card worked great in Win95 (P1-233 MHz machine), but yet worked like CRAP on WinXP with more advanced hardware (p4-2.2 GHz). I would get a blue screen of death inside of 5 minutes of watching TV. Yesterday, I decide to start a program that came with Fedora called tvti...