Apple IIe RGB card?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I have an Apple card which is labeled:

A//e Ext. 80 col/RGB (1984 video 7)

This will sound like a dumb question, but is this an RGB card? I don't have
the dongle for it, so I'm not sure. Would this go into the AUX slot?

Does anyone know the pin-outs for this, so that I could have a dongle made
for it? It has 16 pins on the plug.

It also has two dip switches. Does anyone know what those are for?

Thanks.

E.

0
Reply leucoplast1 (22) 9/19/2004 5:05:54 PM

See related articles to this posting

In <S%i3d.10888$wV.8700@attbi_s54> Ernest wrote:
> I have an Apple card which is labeled:
>
> A//e Ext. 80 col/RGB (1984 video 7)
>
> This will sound like a dumb question, but is this an RGB card? I don't
> have the dongle for it, so I'm not sure. Would this go into the AUX
> slot?
>
> Does anyone know the pin-outs for this, so that I could have a dongle
> made for it? It has 16 pins on the plug.
>
> It also has two dip switches. Does anyone know what those are for?
>
> Thanks.
>
> E.

It's the Apple combined 64KB RAM/RGB video card for the Apple IIe
auxilliary slot. I knew Video 7 used to make RGB adapters for the IIc,
but I never knew the IIe card sold under Apple's name was made by Video
7 too.

The card ouputs digital RGB video in the Apple III XRGB format. The
connector it's supposed to have will be a 15-pin D socket, wired the
same as the Apple III. It's designed to drive the AppleColor 100 display.

Switches on RGB cards are generally for setting a single foreground and
a single background colour in text mode, instead of just white on black.
The IIGS lets you do the same thing. However this card is unusual in
that it allows for full software control of the text colours. Each
character can have its own foreground and background colours.
Unfortunately this extended text mode never made it to the IIc, IIGS or
other RGB cards, and I don't know of any software that supports it
except for a demonstration disk that originally came with the card. A
disk image is available from one of the Apple II software archives (
sorry, I can't remember which one I saw it on).

http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

Reply rojaws2 (362) 9/20/2004 11:22:46 AM

"Roger Johnstone" <rojaws@orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
> In <S%i3d.10888$wV.8700@attbi_s54> Ernest wrote:
> > I have an Apple card which is labeled:
> >
> > A//e Ext. 80 col/RGB (1984 video 7)
> >
> > This will sound like a dumb question, but is this an RGB card? I don't
> > have the dongle for it, so I'm not sure. Would this go into the AUX
> > slot?
> >
> > Does anyone know the pin-outs for this, so that I could have a dongle
> > made for it? It has 16 pins on the plug.
> >
> > It also has two dip switches. Does anyone know what those are for?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > E.
>
> It's the Apple combined 64KB RAM/RGB video card for the Apple IIe
> auxilliary slot. I knew Video 7 used to make RGB adapters for the IIc,
> but I never knew the IIe card sold under Apple's name was made by Video
> 7 too.
>
> The card ouputs digital RGB video in the Apple III XRGB format. The
> connector it's supposed to have will be a 15-pin D socket, wired the
> same as the Apple III. It's designed to drive the AppleColor 100 display.
>
> Switches on RGB cards are generally for setting a single foreground and
> a single background colour in text mode, instead of just white on black.
> The IIGS lets you do the same thing. However this card is unusual in
> that it allows for full software control of the text colours. Each
> character can have its own foreground and background colours.
> Unfortunately this extended text mode never made it to the IIc, IIGS or
> other RGB cards, and I don't know of any software that supports it
> except for a demonstration disk that originally came with the card. A
> disk image is available from one of the Apple II software archives (
> sorry, I can't remember which one I saw it on).
>
> --
> Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand
> http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

I had read on one site that video 7 produced the rgb board which apple then
adopted.

Here ia a site with some pinouts .

http://www.apple2.org.za/mirrors/ground.icaen.uiowa.edu/MiscInfo/Video/rgb15pin

0
Reply laine (122) 9/20/2004 2:03:43 PM

Finally!!  That explains it!

I've been looking for that info for quite some time. My first Apple //e had
one of those cards with the Monitor 100. I was wondering for a long time why
I could turn on the 80col card, turn off 80col mode and use aux memory to
set the background color and forground color by writing to the high and low
nibbles of the appropriate bytes in the aux memory text page 1. I really
miss that ability.

"Roger Johnstone" <rojaws@orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
> It's the Apple combined 64KB RAM/RGB video card for the Apple IIe
> auxilliary slot. I knew Video 7 used to make RGB adapters for the IIc,
> but I never knew the IIe card sold under Apple's name was made by Video
> 7 too.
>
> The card ouputs digital RGB video in the Apple III XRGB format. The
> connector it's supposed to have will be a 15-pin D socket, wired the
> same as the Apple III. It's designed to drive the AppleColor 100 display.
>
> Switches on RGB cards are generally for setting a single foreground and
> a single background colour in text mode, instead of just white on black.
> The IIGS lets you do the same thing. However this card is unusual in
> that it allows for full software control of the text colours. Each
> character can have its own foreground and background colours.
> Unfortunately this extended text mode never made it to the IIc, IIGS or
> other RGB cards, and I don't know of any software that supports it
> except for a demonstration disk that originally came with the card. A
> disk image is available from one of the Apple II software archives (
> sorry, I can't remember which one I saw it on).
>
> --
> Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand
> http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/
>   No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?
>
>               Kryten, from the Red Dwarf episode "The Last Day"

0
Reply rk1 (63) 9/20/2004 3:49:06 PM
comp.sys.apple2 10330 articles. 8 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

FS: Video-7 RGB Card, Apple Digital RGB Card, Apple IIe 1 megabyte Card (slinky)
Hello, For sale on evilBay under "capknight" Video-7 RGB Card; http://cgi.ebay.com/Video-7-Analog-RGB-Video-Card-for-the-Apple-IIe_W0QQitemZ280360474804QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4146c958b4&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A10|66%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50 Apple Digital RGB Card; http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Digital-RGB-Video-Card-for-the-Apple-IIe_W0QQitemZ280360475884QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4146c95cec&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A10|66%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50 ...

Looking to sell a few Apple II cards, 4MB RAM for IIgs, RAM + RGB for IIe, Micromodem IIe
Hi, I've liquidated most of my apple II collection on ebay over the past couple years, but have 3 boards left I'm looking for offers on. Please disregard the posted ebay prices, These have been up for sale for a while and I'm willing to sell them for half the posted price or thereabouts. Checkmate MultiRAM RGB RAM / Video card for Apple IIe http://www.apple-iigs.info/doc/fichiers/multiramrgb.pdf http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-IIe-Checkmate-MultiRAM-RGB-RAM-Video-card-1MB-/140431947780?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b2657804 Sequential Systems RAM-GS 4MB RAM for...

FA: Apple IIe RGB card
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5743717005&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT Ends Monday! Vince -- Replica 1 the Apple 1 clone http://home.comcast.net/~vbriel/index.htm Vince Briel wrote: > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5743717005&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT > > Ends Monday! > > Vince Vince, the auction says you're selling off your entire collection???? You're bowing out? :( Hoping to be wrong, Martin Only a slight overstatement, I'm keeping my replica 1 and my first comput...

Wanted RGB card for Apple IIe
It doesn't matter what type of card it is so long as I can still find a monitor to work with it. I miss the days when I had a clean graphics and text display on my Apple //e. I used to have an Extended 80-Column AppleColor card with the old Motorized AppleColor Monitor. I don't necessarily need the same combination, but it would be nice. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance R. King ...

Apple //e's RGB Card To Apple IIgs' RGB Monitor
Folks, I have seen Apple //e's RGB card is connected to Apple IIgs' analog RGB monitor using resistor network as the alternative option because digital RGB monitor is hard to find. Digital CGA monitor is recommended for best fit, but unfortunately, it gives wrong Apple II colors to be true 16 CGA colors. It is what you don't want 16 CGA colors. Resistor network is ideal for Apple IIgs' analog RGB monitor, but it gives true 16 CGA colors!! Are you satisfied? No way. Look at RGBI to 12 bit RGB table below. RGBI RED GREEN BLUE Hex ...

Video7 Apple IIe 64k RGB card disk
Hi, Does anyone have the disk image for this?.=20 There is the disk images for the apple version of this card on Asimov, but = I believe the Video7 disk came with some extra demos. There is also a video= 7 rgb disk image on Asimov, but I think this is for the non 64k version of = the card, eg normal slot version, not the aux slot version. Thanks Rob On Tuesday, 6 May 2014 02:53:59 UTC-6, Rob Justice wrote: > Hi, >=20 >=20 >=20 > Does anyone have the disk image for this?.=20 >=20 >=20 >=20 > There is the disk images for the apple version of th...

Keyzone Spectragram Apple IIe RGB Video Card
I have gotten my hands on this interesting RGB-Card specimen and wanted to know if there is anyone who can give me a hint on how to install it... I have found a Review of the card in the 10/1984 "APPLE USER" Magazine but it does not give very useful details on the installation. Several features of the card are described. https://www.flickr.com/photos/88521483@N03/15287208695/ -Jonas On Friday, September 19, 2014 10:41:36 PM UTC+10, STYNX wrote: > I have gotten my hands on this interesting RGB-Card specimen and wanted to know if there is anyone who can give me a hint on...

Apple IIe extended 80 col. RGB Card to a monitor IIgs
Hello, I am trying to connect an Apple IIe RGB card (from Apple) to an AppleColor RGB monitor (the one of the IIgs) but it doesn't function. I suppose that this card gives out digital TTL RGB levels that the monitor probably won't accpet, am I right ? I have the manual of the card but it doesn't give any technical specs, so I can't say if it's digital or not ... I also have another RGB card (not from Apple) which is working correctly with that monitor, but that has s a completely different layout, hence I suppose it's giving analog output. I've read on a tec...

FA: Apple IIe w/80 Column Card, Super Serial Card, 5.25" Controller Card.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2744426333 ...

FA: UK
The buyer only wanted the LCD, so here's the IIc, plus a Mac LCII with IIe card (Overseas bidders; the IIe card is common in your country but if you really want to bid on this one I will accept the same deal as with the LCD/IIc - your bid includes shipping, but I will only ship the IIe card and cable, not the LC II or the 5.25" drive). Also for non Appley things there is a Cambridge Z88, Amiga A570 CD-ROM unit and a Megadrive. More stuff being added, too. http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZrichardk66 Richard -- RichardK - 1980s in a can. http://www.dmc12.demon.co...

WTB: Video-7 64k RGB or Apple 64k RGB card
Looking for either card, since they appear to be functionally the same. If you have an RGB monitor that works with it, let me know as well. Would like to learn to use the 160x196 16 color RGB video mode as a project, but not willing to pay an arm and a leg for it. Would also be open to trading for it-- have Apple II/IIgs, Amiga, modern PC and Mac hardware. ...

Apple IIe Card
Anyone have one of these they'd be willing to sell? I'd like to add it to my Color Classic. On Oct 13, 1:10=A0am, Brian <bpic...@gmail.com> wrote: > Anyone have one of these they'd be willing to sell? =A0I'd like to add > it to my Color Classic. can you, I was under the impression they only worked with LC models A IIe card works fine in a Color Classic. That's where I keep mine On Oct 13, 3:04=A0pm, Kevin Dady <ke...@hackaday.com> wrote: > On Oct 13, 1:10=A0am, Brian <bpic...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Anyone have one of the...

RGB card for IIe
Hi, I'm considering to buy an RGB/80-columns card for my IIe. Will a card from USA would work for me in my European Apple IIe? I think of the frequencies... My IIe is for 50Hz power and outputs a 50Hz signal for video. Americans use 60Hz for power and video. So would an RGB card from US output 60Hz video in my machine which would be incompatible with a European monitor? If this is a problem, would it be possible to modify the card to 50Hz (by changing a crystal or something like that)? Knut Knut Roll-Lund <kr-lund@nogarbage.online.no> writes: >I'm considering to buy ...

IIe RGB cards
Do these mythical pieces of hardware still exist? I'm having the most rotten luck tracking one down. Preferably, I'd like to find the Extended 80 Column AppleColor Card and a suitable monitor. There were certain little "tricks" I could pull on my Apple when I had one, but it's just not possible with the composite display. I'm hoping that even if I get one of the newer GS RGB type cards and a monitor to go with it, I'll still be able to use the same undocumented features. "Ranando King" <rk@magictouchcorp.com> wrote in message news:410582f3$1_...

Apple IIe Card
Hi everyone, I'm currently searching for an Apple IIe Card for LC Macintoshes. I live in Europe, and the only announce I found is sending to the US only I would like to know if there is someone here that have one to sell and can send it to Europe as they are nearly nonexistent in Europe. I don't expect a boxed version, the card, and the Y cable is the minimum, having the original diskette is even better. I don't now the current price for such a card, but I think that $100- $150 is a good price (without shipping). If someone have one to sell, can you please give me...

FA: Apple II SCSI Card for Apple II Plus, IIe and IIGS
http://xrl.us/SCSIcard ...

anyone know anythign about the Apple 0008247-0003 Supermac Apple IIe Video Card
after 25 years since I owned a Apple IIe. Just picked one up and got re-hooked. much appreciative can not find anything on the internet On Jul 21, 4:55=A0pm, bproul...@bellsouth.net wrote: > =A0after 25 years since I owned a Apple IIe. Just picked one up and got > re-hooked. > > much appreciative can not find anything on the internet You must not be looking in the right place because there is tons of information about the Apple IIe online. What exactly are you needing to know? There are lots of places you can download disk images of old Apple II software. Then there's softw...

FS: APPLE Super Serial Card (SSC) for Apple II, II+, IIe, IIgs
http://xrl.us/AppleSSC ...

More questions of the IIe card (Was dumb question about the IIe card in the mac)
Okay, I got the IIe card installed. I installed the software but I am having some trouble. This type of question might not belong in this group. If it doesn't let me know and I bug the people in that group. :) I printed the manual out for this card and pretty much read it from cover to cover. When you are in IIe mode you can use the OpenApple-Control-Reset to restart the IIe. However as soon as I go in the IIe control panel (mac mode) it restarts the Mac. Do you think there might be a problem with my IIe card or the Mac? Thanks -Lockar "L...

Language Card + Apple IIe
Hello everyone, I have a silly question, does somebody know if a 16k language card works in an Apple IIe, IIc or IIGS? thanks a lot, Marc.- pd: my question is actually more technical, I'm wondering if the /INH signal is always enabled when the LC is activated, or just enabled when $D000-$FFFF are accessed? On Nov 8, 4:08=A0pm, "Marc S. Ressl" <mre...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello everyone, > > I have a silly question, does somebody know if a 16k language card > works in an Apple IIe, IIc or IIGS? It would need to be one of the better-than-app...

Apple iie card in a Mac
Hi, I got recently a Mac LC with a apple iie card. Unfortunately the setup included instead of the UNIDISK 3.5 the "unintelligent" 3.5 disk. The previous owner told me he had this running but I doubt it as all informations I could gather tell you not to connect the other 3.5 drive or you risk damage . Is the guy right and I am just overcautious? After setting up a Apple Share server I was surprised that my IIgs could mount the CD rom on the LC. The access speed is not to bad and I could start the Orca environment from CD rom. When I compare to the prize for the iigs SCSI card on...

RGB adapter for Apple IIe
I have an Apple Made RGB adapter and monitor for the Apple IIe that no website seems to have any information about. RGB. Any help would be appreciated. The monitor has a button that adjusts the tilt of the screen electronically I picked mine up at a thrift store in Chattanooga along with 2 IIe's and 2 duodisks.for about $20 total. I'd appreciate if I could get a copy of the rgb manual It doesn't seem to work with my Infocom Games. Thanks.. "Martin Doherty" <martin.doherty@undisclosed.com> wrote in message news:Os6Qd.33$eV5.127@news.oracle.com... > Sean ...

Apple iie card in an LCIII+
Hello folks. I am running a pretty pimped up LCIII+ system that I'm mighty proud of (actually posting this from the thing with MT-NewsWatcher) and have a iie card installed. Now, I've done plenty of reading up on the use of the card and with all that alongside Mr Finnigan's excellent Apple II guidebook feel ready to dive in. Only issue is that I don't have a compatible floppy drive. Which kinda limits things somewhat... I live in England, you see, and Apple II equipment is thin on the ground to say the least. I do believe, however, that it is possible to use disk i...

what should I expect for an apple IIe card
I have a mac SE, and a apple IIC, I also have a Mac Performa 430 (LC2) so I= am sitting here thinking that maybe I want to ditch the SE and the IIc for= one machine that easily hooks up to my LCD screen (old mitsubushi) slap on= a 5.25 inch drive and condense my collection. A) price, I see them from time to time on ebay for reasonable prices, witho= ut the disk drive cable (which I can make), but how much should I really ex= pect for a card B) how much should I expect to give up for a 5.25 inch apple II floppy driv= e=20 C)serial ports, can I still use ADT to copy images to f...