Apple IIe RGB card?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I have an Apple card which is labeled:

A//e Ext. 80 col/RGB (1984 video 7)

This will sound like a dumb question, but is this an RGB card? I don't have
the dongle for it, so I'm not sure. Would this go into the AUX slot?

Does anyone know the pin-outs for this, so that I could have a dongle made
for it? It has 16 pins on the plug.

It also has two dip switches. Does anyone know what those are for?

Thanks.

E.

0
Reply leucoplast1 (22) 9/19/2004 5:05:54 PM

See related articles to this posting

In <S%i3d.10888$wV.8700@attbi_s54> Ernest wrote:
> I have an Apple card which is labeled:
>
> A//e Ext. 80 col/RGB (1984 video 7)
>
> This will sound like a dumb question, but is this an RGB card? I don't
> have the dongle for it, so I'm not sure. Would this go into the AUX
> slot?
>
> Does anyone know the pin-outs for this, so that I could have a dongle
> made for it? It has 16 pins on the plug.
>
> It also has two dip switches. Does anyone know what those are for?
>
> Thanks.
>
> E.

It's the Apple combined 64KB RAM/RGB video card for the Apple IIe
auxilliary slot. I knew Video 7 used to make RGB adapters for the IIc,
but I never knew the IIe card sold under Apple's name was made by Video
7 too.

The card ouputs digital RGB video in the Apple III XRGB format. The
connector it's supposed to have will be a 15-pin D socket, wired the
same as the Apple III. It's designed to drive the AppleColor 100 display.

Switches on RGB cards are generally for setting a single foreground and
a single background colour in text mode, instead of just white on black.
The IIGS lets you do the same thing. However this card is unusual in
that it allows for full software control of the text colours. Each
character can have its own foreground and background colours.
Unfortunately this extended text mode never made it to the IIc, IIGS or
other RGB cards, and I don't know of any software that supports it
except for a demonstration disk that originally came with the card. A
disk image is available from one of the Apple II software archives (
sorry, I can't remember which one I saw it on).

http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

Reply rojaws2 (362) 9/20/2004 11:22:46 AM

"Roger Johnstone" <rojaws@orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
> In <S%i3d.10888$wV.8700@attbi_s54> Ernest wrote:
> > I have an Apple card which is labeled:
> >
> > A//e Ext. 80 col/RGB (1984 video 7)
> >
> > This will sound like a dumb question, but is this an RGB card? I don't
> > have the dongle for it, so I'm not sure. Would this go into the AUX
> > slot?
> >
> > Does anyone know the pin-outs for this, so that I could have a dongle
> > made for it? It has 16 pins on the plug.
> >
> > It also has two dip switches. Does anyone know what those are for?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > E.
>
> It's the Apple combined 64KB RAM/RGB video card for the Apple IIe
> auxilliary slot. I knew Video 7 used to make RGB adapters for the IIc,
> but I never knew the IIe card sold under Apple's name was made by Video
> 7 too.
>
> The card ouputs digital RGB video in the Apple III XRGB format. The
> connector it's supposed to have will be a 15-pin D socket, wired the
> same as the Apple III. It's designed to drive the AppleColor 100 display.
>
> Switches on RGB cards are generally for setting a single foreground and
> a single background colour in text mode, instead of just white on black.
> The IIGS lets you do the same thing. However this card is unusual in
> that it allows for full software control of the text colours. Each
> character can have its own foreground and background colours.
> Unfortunately this extended text mode never made it to the IIc, IIGS or
> other RGB cards, and I don't know of any software that supports it
> except for a demonstration disk that originally came with the card. A
> disk image is available from one of the Apple II software archives (
> sorry, I can't remember which one I saw it on).
>
> --
> Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand
> http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

I had read on one site that video 7 produced the rgb board which apple then
adopted.

Here ia a site with some pinouts .

http://www.apple2.org.za/mirrors/ground.icaen.uiowa.edu/MiscInfo/Video/rgb15pin

0
Reply laine (122) 9/20/2004 2:03:43 PM

Finally!!  That explains it!

I've been looking for that info for quite some time. My first Apple //e had
one of those cards with the Monitor 100. I was wondering for a long time why
I could turn on the 80col card, turn off 80col mode and use aux memory to
set the background color and forground color by writing to the high and low
nibbles of the appropriate bytes in the aux memory text page 1. I really
miss that ability.

"Roger Johnstone" <rojaws@orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
> It's the Apple combined 64KB RAM/RGB video card for the Apple IIe
> auxilliary slot. I knew Video 7 used to make RGB adapters for the IIc,
> but I never knew the IIe card sold under Apple's name was made by Video
> 7 too.
>
> The card ouputs digital RGB video in the Apple III XRGB format. The
> connector it's supposed to have will be a 15-pin D socket, wired the
> same as the Apple III. It's designed to drive the AppleColor 100 display.
>
> Switches on RGB cards are generally for setting a single foreground and
> a single background colour in text mode, instead of just white on black.
> The IIGS lets you do the same thing. However this card is unusual in
> that it allows for full software control of the text colours. Each
> character can have its own foreground and background colours.
> Unfortunately this extended text mode never made it to the IIc, IIGS or
> other RGB cards, and I don't know of any software that supports it
> except for a demonstration disk that originally came with the card. A
> disk image is available from one of the Apple II software archives (
> sorry, I can't remember which one I saw it on).
>
> --
> Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand
> http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/
>   No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?
>
>               Kryten, from the Red Dwarf episode "The Last Day"

0
Reply rk1 (63) 9/20/2004 3:49:06 PM
comp.sys.apple2 9999 articles. 8 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

FS: Video-7 RGB Card, Apple Digital RGB Card, Apple IIe 1 megabyte Card (slinky)
Hello, For sale on evilBay under "capknight" Video-7 RGB Card; http://cgi.ebay.com/Video-7-Analog-RGB-Video-Card-for-the-Apple-IIe_W0QQitemZ280360474804QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4146c958b4&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A10|66%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50 Apple Digital RGB Card; http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Digital-RGB-Video-Card-for-the-Apple-IIe_W0QQitemZ280360475884QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4146c95cec&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A10|66%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50 ...

Looking to sell a few Apple II cards, 4MB RAM for IIgs, RAM + RGB for IIe, Micromodem IIe
Hi, I've liquidated most of my apple II collection on ebay over the past couple years, but have 3 boards left I'm looking for offers on. Please disregard the posted ebay prices, These have been up for sale for a while and I'm willing to sell them for half the posted price or thereabouts. Checkmate MultiRAM RGB RAM / Video card for Apple IIe http://www.apple-iigs.info/doc/fichiers/multiramrgb.pdf http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-IIe-Checkmate-MultiRAM-RGB-RAM-Video-card-1MB-/140431947780?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b2657804 Sequential Systems RAM-GS 4MB RAM for...

Wanted RGB card for Apple IIe
It doesn't matter what type of card it is so long as I can still find a monitor to work with it. I miss the days when I had a clean graphics and text display on my Apple //e. I used to have an Extended 80-Column AppleColor card with the old Motorized AppleColor Monitor. I don't necessarily need the same combination, but it would be nice. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance R. King ...

FA: Apple IIe RGB card
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5743717005&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT Ends Monday! Vince -- Replica 1 the Apple 1 clone http://home.comcast.net/~vbriel/index.htm Vince Briel wrote: > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5743717005&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT > > Ends Monday! > > Vince Vince, the auction says you're selling off your entire collection???? You're bowing out? :( Hoping to be wrong, Martin Only a slight overstatement, I'm keeping my replica 1 and my first comput...

Apple IIe extended 80 col. RGB Card to a monitor IIgs
Hello, I am trying to connect an Apple IIe RGB card (from Apple) to an AppleColor RGB monitor (the one of the IIgs) but it doesn't function. I suppose that this card gives out digital TTL RGB levels that the monitor probably won't accpet, am I right ? I have the manual of the card but it doesn't give any technical specs, so I can't say if it's digital or not ... I also have another RGB card (not from Apple) which is working correctly with that monitor, but that has s a completely different layout, hence I suppose it's giving analog output. I've read on a tec...

Apple //e's RGB Card To Apple IIgs' RGB Monitor
Folks, I have seen Apple //e's RGB card is connected to Apple IIgs' analog RGB monitor using resistor network as the alternative option because digital RGB monitor is hard to find. Digital CGA monitor is recommended for best fit, but unfortunately, it gives wrong Apple II colors to be true 16 CGA colors. It is what you don't want 16 CGA colors. Resistor network is ideal for Apple IIgs' analog RGB monitor, but it gives true 16 CGA colors!! Are you satisfied? No way. Look at RGBI to 12 bit RGB table below. RGBI RED GREEN BLUE Hex ...

FA: Apple IIe w/80 Column Card, Super Serial Card, 5.25" Controller Card.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2744426333 ...

FA: UK
The buyer only wanted the LCD, so here's the IIc, plus a Mac LCII with IIe card (Overseas bidders; the IIe card is common in your country but if you really want to bid on this one I will accept the same deal as with the LCD/IIc - your bid includes shipping, but I will only ship the IIe card and cable, not the LC II or the 5.25" drive). Also for non Appley things there is a Cambridge Z88, Amiga A570 CD-ROM unit and a Megadrive. More stuff being added, too. http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZrichardk66 Richard -- RichardK - 1980s in a can. http://www.dmc12.demon.co...

FA: Apple II SCSI Card for Apple II Plus, IIe and IIGS
http://xrl.us/SCSIcard ...