apple iie with question about the duo disk drive and connecting it

Hi I have and Apple IIe computer and I also have a duo twin disk
drive, but with no original cable for it, Their is no power cable
attachment so I can only quess that the power comes via the connection
cable to the apple.

On my apple iie I have a disk drive port but the socket is smaller
than the one on the duo.

I have found a couple of ribbon cables which connect to the duo but
the other end is smaller on the apple pc - I know this is a drive port
as I have another single disk drive and it works on this port.

Is the duo drive a serial drive and requires a serial card? and not
the drive card in the apple pc ? I have a serial card which has two
bank of dip switches on it and the cables do fit on both ends but the
drive does nothing. do I need to change the dip switches or is this
not the right card to use and cable?

If you know I would be grateful as I want to see if the drive works.

Many thanks
Tim

Australia
0
info1412 (1)
1/4/2004 1:32:46 AM
comp.sys.apple2 11066 articles. 4 followers. antoine.vignau (1077) is leader. Post Follow

digitalplaytime (info@digitalplaytime.com.au) wrote:
[...]

You need a DuoDisk drive cable, unfortunately.

The DuoDisk plugs into the 19-pin disk drive connector, which, in a ][e,
would be attached to a controller card in one of the slots, probably Slot
#6.  It's the same controller card that works with any Apple 5.25" drive
except the Disk ][ (and it can be made to work with the Disk ][ if you
change the connectors around).  And yes, the drive is powered by the
interface.

If you're lucky, someone else here can give you the pinouts of that cable.
 I don't think I have any DuoDisk cables around here to check.....

--Dave Althoff, ][.
--
    /*\        _       _               _    *** Happy New Year!!! ***
   /###\      /X\     /X\_      _     /X\__      _     _        _____
:
[...]
: #6.  It's the same controller card that works with any Apple
5.25" drive
: except the Disk ][ (and it can be made to work with the
Disk ][ if you
: change the connectors around).  And yes, the drive is powered
by the
: interface.
:
: If you're lucky, someone else here can give you the pinouts of
that cable.
:  I don't think I have any DuoDisk cables around here to
check.....

Here is the Duodisk cable pinout:

II just checkd the pinout on a Duodisk cable.  The numbers for
the
pins are inside the plug by the pins, but I'll draw them for you.

DB 19 looking at the end of the cable:

    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  10
    o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o
      o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o
     11   12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19

DB 25 looking at the end of the cable:  (x = no pin)

     1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10  11  12  13
     x   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   x
       o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   x   o   o   x
      14  15   16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25

DB 19   DB 25

1       2
2       4
3       9  & 21
4       10 & 14
5       23
6       7
7       19
8       20
9       8
10      12
11      15
12      16
13      17
14      18
15      5
16      24
17      11
18      3
19      6

If you'd like, I can attempt to make you a cable.
I have 2 drives here to test it on. We'll discuss
the monetary part via email.

--

Bill @ GarberStreet Enterprizez };-)
Web Site - http://garberstreet.netfirms.com