CompatiBoot: a new fast loader

CompatiBoot is a fast loader for single file games. Compared to the
plethora of other fast loaders, it offers these unique advantages:

* works in all emulators, including those with "enhanced disk speed"
mode
* uses a standard DOS 3.3 disk catalog, compatible with all disk
utilities (including modern ones like CiderPress)
* boots from any slot, not just slot 6
* can be launched from a ProDOS hard drive with DOS 3.3 launcher
* compatible with the CFFA3000 card

To use CompatiBoot, just copy your favorite (single file, binary) game
to a blank CompatiBoot disk. That's it! CompatiBoot reads the DOS 3.3
catalog and automatically loads the file. There are no menus to
navigate, no "maker" programs to fuss with.

Here is a blank CompatiBoot disk image: http://bb2k.net/download/CompatiBoot/
Since the disk has no files to load, CompatiBoot will display its
built-in help file instead.

Here are some sample CompatiBoot disk images with games we like:
http://bb2k.net/download/CompatiBoot/samples/

On a real Apple II (and most emulators), CompatiBoot can load a 139-
sector game in 4 seconds. (By comparison: in AppleWin's "authentic
disk speed" mode, the same game loads in 25 seconds under ProntoDOS
and 82 seconds under standard DOS 3.3.) In AppleWin's "enhanced disk
speed" mode, CompatiBoot is essentially instantaneous.

The CompatiBoot code and help text is contained in track 0. All our
code is dedicated to the public domain.

Raven
0
c700.club (6)
9/12/2011 4:00:11 AM
comp.sys.apple2 11066 articles. 4 followers. antoine.vignau (1077) is leader. Post Follow

Interesting project, thanks for that.
What are the requirements and limits of CompatiBoot? In terms of RAM
for instance.

Moon Patrol is not a single boot program. You have either removed the
title page or the lunar base page.

Antoine
"Antoine Vignau" <antoine.vignau@laposte.net> wrote in message
> Interesting project, thanks for that.
> What are the requirements and limits of CompatiBoot? In terms of RAM
> for instance.
>
> Moon Patrol is not a single boot program. You have either removed the
> title page or the lunar base page.
>
> Antoine

The title page is there, Antoine.  It's a crack.  I have that
one on another loader disk that loads multi-games, not just one.

If they can make CompatiBoot so it can load more than one, and
from a ProDOS image, then I will praise it.  Otherwise, speed

"MAN!, I got no time, I need to load this game quick!"   LOL

Bill

0
willy46pa (2246)
9/12/2011 1:58:51 PM
On Sep 12, 12:27=A0am, Antoine Vignau <antoine.vig...@laposte.net>
wrote:
> Interesting project, thanks for that.
> What are the requirements and limits of CompatiBoot? In terms of RAM
> for instance.

It does not use the language card or any auxiliary memory. It was
tested (under emulation) on an Apple II, II+, unenhanced //e,
enhanced //e, and IIgs. On the II and II+ it auto-converts its help
text to uppercase, but otherwise functions identically. The loader
itself is loaded into pages $BA-$BE, and at various points during

Raven
0
c700.club (6)
9/12/2011 3:21:46 PM
On Sep 12, 9:58=A0am, "Bill Garber" <willy4...@comcast.net> wrote:
> If they can make CompatiBoot so it can load more than one, and
> from a ProDOS image, then I will praise it.

You're going to love our upcoming project.

Raven
0
c700.club (6)
9/12/2011 3:22:49 PM
C700 Club wrote:
> CompatiBoot is a fast loader for single file games. Compared to the
> plethora of other fast loaders, it offers these unique advantages:
>
> * works in all emulators, including those with "enhanced disk speed"
> mode
> * uses a standard DOS 3.3 disk catalog, compatible with all disk
> utilities (including modern ones like CiderPress)
> * boots from any slot, not just slot 6
> * can be launched from a ProDOS hard drive with DOS 3.3 launcher
> * compatible with the CFFA3000 card
>
> To use CompatiBoot, just copy your favorite (single file, binary) game
> to a blank CompatiBoot disk. That's it! CompatiBoot reads the DOS 3.3
> catalog and automatically loads the file. There are no menus to
> navigate, no "maker" programs to fuss with.
>
> Here is a blank CompatiBoot disk image: http://bb2k.net/download/CompatiBoot/
> Since the disk has no files to load, CompatiBoot will display its
> built-in help file instead.
>
> Here are some sample CompatiBoot disk images with games we like:
> http://bb2k.net/download/CompatiBoot/samples/

Very cute directory listing!  ;-)

-michael

NadaNet 3.1 for Apple II parallel computing!
Home page:  http://home.comcast.net/~mjmahon/

"The wastebasket is our most important design
tool--and it's seriously underused."
0
mjmahon (7061)
9/12/2011 11:31:07 PM
On Sep 11, 10:00=A0pm, C700 Club <c700.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> CompatiBoot is a fast loader for single file games. Compared to the
> plethora of other fast loaders, it offers these unique advantages:
>
> * works in all emulators, including those with "enhanced disk speed"
> mode
> * uses a standard DOS 3.3 disk catalog, compatible with all disk
> utilities (including modern ones like CiderPress)
> * boots from any slot, not just slot 6
> * can be launched from a ProDOS hard drive with DOS 3.3 launcher
> * compatible with the CFFA3000 card
>
> To use CompatiBoot, just copy your favorite (single file, binary) game
> to a blank CompatiBoot disk. That's it! CompatiBoot reads the DOS 3.3
> catalog and automatically loads the file. There are no menus to
> navigate, no "maker" programs to fuss with.
>
> Here is a blank CompatiBoot disk image:http://bb2k.net/download/CompatiBo=
ot/
> Since the disk has no files to load, CompatiBoot will display its
> built-in help file instead.
>
> Here are some sample CompatiBoot disk images with games we like:http://bb=
2k.net/download/CompatiBoot/samples/

> On a real Apple II (and most emulators), CompatiBoot can load a 139-
> sector game in 4 seconds. (By comparison: in AppleWin's "authentic
> disk speed" mode, the same game loads in 25 seconds under ProntoDOS
> and 82 seconds under standard DOS 3.3.) In AppleWin's "enhanced disk
> speed" mode, CompatiBoot is essentially instantaneous.
>
> The CompatiBoot code and help text is contained in track 0. All our
> code is dedicated to the public domain.
>
> Raven

Well over here at the other end, at the C100 Club, we are still using
tape.  We will be releasing soon a way to transfer C programs via tape
to the Apple I via Dropbox and an iPhone.  Stay tuned.  :-)
0
datajerk (376)
9/13/2011 1:47:11 AM
On 09/12/2011 06:31 PM, Michael J. Mahon wrote:

>> Here are some sample CompatiBoot disk images with games we like:
>> http://bb2k.net/download/CompatiBoot/samples/
>
> Very cute directory listing! ;-)

Is that a font or a bitmap? If so is the font available?

Cheers,
Mike T

On Sep 13, 1:24=A0pm, BluPhoenyx <bluphoe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/12/2011 06:31 PM, Michael J. Mahon wrote:
>

> >> Here are some sample CompatiBoot disk images with games we like:
> >>http://bb2k.net/download/CompatiBoot/samples/
>
> > Very cute directory listing! ;-)
>
> Is that a font or a bitmap? If so is the font available?
>
> Cheers,
> Mike T

Links to other retro fonts:

http://jerkwerks.com/misc/PrintChar21.ttf (40 col II)
http://jerkwerks.com/misc/PRNumber3.ttf (80 col II)
http://damieng.com/blog/2011/02/20/typography-in-8-bits-system-fonts
http://damieng.com/blog/2011/03/27/typography-in-16-bits-system-fonts

Example use:  http://jerkwerks.com/bbs-get-your-retro-on/

Example web pages (single source, easy to read, right click and save/

http://jerkwerks.com/misc/apple_int_pi.html (40 col)
http://jerkwerks.com/misc/apple_forth_pi.html (80 col)

0
datajerk (376)
9/13/2011 7:48:21 PM
On Sep 13, 1:48=A0pm, Egan Ford <dataj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Very cute directory listing! ;-)
>
> > Is that a font or a bitmap? If so is the font available?
>
> > Cheers,
> > Mike T
>
> Links to other retro fonts:
>
> http://jerkwerks.com/misc/PrintChar21.ttf(40 col II)http://jerkwerks.com/=
misc/PRNumber3.ttf(80 col II)http://damieng.com/blog/2011/02/20/typography-=
in-8-bits-system-fontshttp://damieng.com/blog/2011/03/27/typography-in-16-b=
its-system-fonts

> Example use: =A0http://jerkwerks.com/bbs-get-your-retro-on/
>
> Example web pages (single source, easy to read, right click and save/
>
> http://jerkwerks.com/misc/apple_int_pi.html(40 col)http://jerkwerks.com/m=
isc/apple_forth_pi.html(80 col)

I actually like the font from http://bb2k.net/download/CompatiBoot/samples/
better.  You can get them here: http://www.thugdome.com/software_a2f.html