Diasy Chaining Apple 5.25" Drive and Unidisk 5.25" Drive

Is it ok to daisy chain a Apple 5.25" Drive and a Unidisk 5.25" Drive?
Also, other than the color, is there a difference between the two?

0
tempest (350)
1/11/2006 5:20:14 AM
comp.sys.apple2 11066 articles. 4 followers. antoine.vignau (1077) is leader. Post Follow

Tempest wrote:
> Is it ok to daisy chain a Apple 5.25" Drive and a Unidisk 5.25" Drive?
> Also, other than the color, is there a difference between the two?

No functional difference that I know of.

-michael

Music synthesis for 8-bit Apple II's!
Home page:  http://members.aol.com/MJMahon/

"The wastebasket is our most important design
tool--and it is seriously underused."
0
mjmahon (7061)
1/11/2006 8:19:55 AM
Tempest wrote:
> Is it ok to daisy chain a Apple 5.25" Drive and a Unidisk 5.25" Drive?
> Also, other than the color, is there a difference between the two?

I seem to recall that only the newer drive works on the IIgs ROM03
motherboard. A change to the SmartPort protocol means that even 5.25"
drives need to be slightly smarter.

0
mcs6502 (519)
1/11/2006 1:38:14 PM
Yes I think I ran into that problem on my ROM 03 IIgs.  I didn't know
about the issue at the time, but now it makes sense.  Thankfully I'm
using a ROM 01 IIgs now so it shouldn't be an issue.

So if I wanted to have 2 3.5" drives and 2 5.25" drives hooked up (well
an Apple 5.25 drive and a unidisk 5.25 technically), how would I go
about it?  Do I plug one 3.5" drive into the smartport, then the other
3.5" drive into that one, then the two 5.25" drives into the 3.5"?  I
want the 5.25's to boot first then the 3.5's.

0
tempest (350)
1/11/2006 3:05:48 PM
Tempest wrote:
> So if I wanted to have 2 3.5" drives and 2 5.25" drives hooked up (well
> an Apple 5.25 drive and a unidisk 5.25 technically), how would I go
> about it?  Do I plug one 3.5" drive into the smartport, then the other
> 3.5" drive into that one, then the two 5.25" drives into the 3.5"?  I
> want the 5.25's to boot first then the 3.5's.

Correct (well technically you cannot plug two 5.25" drives into the
3.5, you plug one into the other and then plug the 1st 5.25 into the
3.5). The full daisy chain order is:

IIGS
Apple 3.5 #1
Apple 3.5 #2
UniDisk 3.5 #1
UniDisk 3.5 #2
UniDisk 3.5 #3
UniDisk 3.5 #4
Apple/UniDisk 5.25 #1
Apple/UniDisk 5.25 #2

You can omit any drives you do not have and you should limit the chain
to no more than 4 drives in total. Setting the Control panel to Scan
rather than a particular slot will cause the 1st 5.25 (S6,D1) to
attempt to boot followed by the 1st 3.5 (S5,D1).

0
mcs6502 (519)