HELP! Need to Back up Apple 2e Floppies to 2006 PC's

Anyone able to tell me about the process needing to take place in order
for this to happen? where i can find the materials needed? the steps to
take?

a friend wants to back up their old floppies to a newer medium IE cd
rom

anyone wanting to contact me directly should do so at
fantasticreality@aol.com

thanks!

0
hewletttp (2)
7/6/2006 3:17:39 AM
comp.sys.apple2 11066 articles. 4 followers. antoine.vignau (1077) is leader. Post Follow

The easier way is to use an apple IIc computer linked with a PC (via the
serial port) and running ADT.

Then, you can transfert *unprotected* disks between the two machines.

I can help you with it but I live in France so maybe you can find
someone in your local area too...

FMRshadow.

Nyte a �crit :
> Anyone able to tell me about the process needing to take place in order
> for this to happen? where i can find the materials needed? the steps to
> take?
>
> a friend wants to back up their old floppies to a newer medium IE cd
> rom
>
> anyone wanting to contact me directly should do so at
> fantasticreality@aol.com
>

> thanks!

Hello Nyte.

I'd recommend a MicroDrive or CFFA controller card, a USB CF Card Reader for
your PC and CiderPress from www.faddensoft.com.  For around $150 total
you'll not only have a stolid state mass storage device but also a really
good way to transfer software between your Apple and PC via the CF card.
Also backing up, imaging or accessing your ProDOS partitions on a PC is very
easy with CiderPress.

--
Henry S. Courbis
www.GSE-Reactive.com

"Nyte" <hewletttp@aol.com> wrote in message
> Anyone able to tell me about the process needing to take place in order
> for this to happen? where i can find the materials needed? the steps to
> take?
>
> a friend wants to back up their old floppies to a newer medium IE cd
> rom
>
> anyone wanting to contact me directly should do so at
> fantasticreality@aol.com
>

> thanks!

0
Henry
7/6/2006 5:43:20 AM
Nyte wrote:
> Anyone able to tell me about the process needing to take place in order
> for this to happen?

Apple Disk Transfer (ADT) is likely what you want.  You will need a
Super Serial Card (SSC) and a serial cable capable of hooking up to
your 2006 PC.  If your PC only has USB ports (i.e. no old-fashioned 25-
or 9-pin serial ports) you'll be in for a little more hardware.

All the details you need are here:
http://home.swbell.net/rubywand/Csa2T1TCOM.html

If you have a Windows box, the Windows port of ADT is here:
http://www.apple2.org.za/gswv/a2zine/Sel/ADTWin.html
and here:
http://adt.berlios.de

If you have something other than 5.25", DOS 3.3 disks to transfer,
ADTPro might be what you need:
http://adtpro.sourceforge.net

0
schmidtd (1096)
7/7/2006 5:29:58 AM
Nyte wrote:
> Anyone able to tell me about the process needing to take place in order
> for this to happen? where i can find the materials needed? the steps to
> take?
>
> a friend wants to back up their old floppies to a newer medium IE cd
> rom
>
> anyone wanting to contact me directly should do so at
> fantasticreality@aol.com

You don't say whether you have a working Apple IIe.  If you do, the ADT
method will work. If you don't, best thing is to get someone to do it
for you. You can probably find someone here who will do it for a few
bucks if you mail them the disks. The ADT method is best if you enjoy a
technical challenge, the mail method is going to be a lot easier.
-Paul

0
carbide (177)
7/7/2006 6:44:13 AM
we do have a working apple 2 e, however if anyone here can in fact do
this task, i'd much prefer someone else to do it. we can mail the
disks, and a few dollars can be paid.  Please email me at
fantasticreality@aol.com if you are up to this task with a name phone
number, best time to call, and how sure you are that you can do this
carbide@egine.com wrote:
> Nyte wrote:
> > Anyone able to tell me about the process needing to take place in order
> > for this to happen? where i can find the materials needed? the steps to
> > take?
> >
> > a friend wants to back up their old floppies to a newer medium IE cd
> > rom
> >
> > anyone wanting to contact me directly should do so at
> > fantasticreality@aol.com
> >

> You don't say whether you have a working Apple IIe.  If you do, the ADT
> method will work. If you don't, best thing is to get someone to do it
> for you. You can probably find someone here who will do it for a few
> bucks if you mail them the disks. The ADT method is best if you enjoy a
> technical challenge, the mail method is going to be a lot easier.
> -Paul

0
hewletttp (2)
7/7/2006 8:08:00 AM
Nyte wrote:
> we do have a working apple 2 e, however if anyone here can in fact do
> this task, i'd much prefer someone else to do it. we can mail the
> disks, and a few dollars can be paid.  Please email me at
> fantasticreality@aol.com if you are up to this task with a name phone
> number, best time to call, and how sure you are that you can do this
> carbide@egine.com wrote:

It's probably worthwhile to give a good idea of how many floppies
there are to be converted...

-michael

>>Nyte wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone able to tell me about the process needing to take place in order
>>>for this to happen? where i can find the materials needed? the steps to
>>>take?
>>>
>>>a friend wants to back up their old floppies to a newer medium IE cd
>>>rom
>>>
>>>anyone wanting to contact me directly should do so at
>>>fantasticreality@aol.com
>>>

>>You don't say whether you have a working Apple IIe.  If you do, the ADT
>>method will work. If you don't, best thing is to get someone to do it
>>for you. You can probably find someone here who will do it for a few
>>bucks if you mail them the disks. The ADT method is best if you enjoy a
>>technical challenge, the mail method is going to be a lot easier.
>>-Paul

Parallel computing for 8-bit Apple II's!
Home page:  http://members.aol.com/MJMahon/

"The wastebasket is our most important design
tool--and it is seriously underused."
0
mjmahon (7061)
7/7/2006 8:48:33 AM
Nyte wrote:
> we do have a working apple 2 e, however if anyone here can in fact do
> this task, i'd much prefer someone else to do it. we can mail the
> disks, and a few dollars can be paid.

RetroFloppy was set up just for that purpose.  If you're interested in
floppy disk transfer as a service, see http://retrofloppy.com.