Now available: A Plus and inCider, Apple Orchard, Call APPLE, Compute!, Hardcore Computist magazine and more

Hello to Everyone, from a warm day in Canberra, Australia.

After over a week of scanning, I would like to write to you all in the Appl=
e II community about new scans of magazines that have been completed.=20

50 editions of A Plus and inCider Magazine (what a marathon!)
3 editions of Apple Orchard including Volume 1 Number 1
12 editions of Call APPLE, 1979->1987
6 editions of Compute!'s Apple Applications
40 editions of Hardcore Computist, issues 13->53 at 600dpi
5 editions of II Computing, including the Premiere issue

Currently uploading
19 editions of Softalk magazine (most editions upwards of 300 pages each!)

These are publicly available as PDF files for download using my newly upgra=
ded Google Drive here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BweO6Y13Cmc4TF9hNHVUN0I2NmM?usp=3Ds=
haring

I hope you enjoy the files as much as I did scanning them.

Jeremy=20

PS

 Just a few notes that you can skip, just about how I came to this upload :
Archive.org continues to be a favourable and most likely longer term destin=
ation for the work of mine and others, however I remain unable to find an u=
ploading workflow that I can use.  I have 0.8mbps upload speed and that amo=
ng other dot points is holding me off from using it.
A lot of the files have no OCR applied as it was suggested the OCR output f=
rom Adobe Acrobat Pro's =E2=80=98exact scan=E2=80=99 OCR was poor.  I tried=
 Abby - but believe it or not, even on the highest quality mode it reduced =
the file size by half and with that came unacceptable compression across te=
xt and images.  I poked around user forums and played for half a day but no=
 matter what I could not get an output that did not re-enocde the pages wit=
h a heavy compression scheme.
Before scanning certain titles, I did a search online and if I found a matc=
h then I compared the quality of the image presented compared to what I was=
 able to squeeze out of my ScanSnap and photoshop actions.  The result is z=
ero / greatly reduced page bleed through, white pages and black text that i=
s deskewed. =20
These magazines are older than 20 years at a minimum and have, like out App=
le computers, yellowed over time.  Dealing with mustard colour pages comes =
with a compromise in contrast which I=E2=80=99ve tried to achieve.
0
Jeremy
12/20/2016 4:04:34 AM
comp.sys.apple2 11066 articles. 4 followers. antoine.vignau (1077) is leader. Post Follow

The Call APPLE PDFs that I scanned have been removed and I guess are available with a membership to the group, go ahead and support them too! It is Christmas after all.
0
Jeremy
12/20/2016 8:27:47 AM
Congratulations!
0
Antoine
12/20/2016 11:31:04 AM
thank you for doing this!

0
RJ
12/20/2016 1:05:48 PM
On Monday, December 19, 2016 at 10:04:35 PM UTC-6, Jeremy Barr-Hyde wrote:
> Hello to Everyone, from a warm day in Canberra, Australia.
>=20
> After over a week of scanning, I would like to write to you all in the Ap=
ple II community about new scans of magazines that have been completed.=20
>=20
> 50 editions of A Plus and inCider Magazine (what a marathon!)
> 3 editions of Apple Orchard including Volume 1 Number 1
> 12 editions of Call APPLE, 1979->1987
> 6 editions of Compute!'s Apple Applications
> 40 editions of Hardcore Computist, issues 13->53 at 600dpi
> 5 editions of II Computing, including the Premiere issue
>=20
> Currently uploading
> 19 editions of Softalk magazine (most editions upwards of 300 pages each!=
)
>=20
> These are publicly available as PDF files for download using my newly upg=
raded Google Drive here:
>=20
> https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BweO6Y13Cmc4TF9hNHVUN0I2NmM?usp=
=3Dsharing
>=20
> I hope you enjoy the files as much as I did scanning them.
>=20
> Jeremy=20
>=20
> PS
>=20
>  Just a few notes that you can skip, just about how I came to this upload=
 :
> Archive.org continues to be a favourable and most likely longer term dest=
ination for the work of mine and others, however I remain unable to find an=
 uploading workflow that I can use.  I have 0.8mbps upload speed and that a=
mong other dot points is holding me off from using it.
> A lot of the files have no OCR applied as it was suggested the OCR output=
 from Adobe Acrobat Pro's =E2=80=98exact scan=E2=80=99 OCR was poor.  I tri=
ed Abby - but believe it or not, even on the highest quality mode it reduce=
d the file size by half and with that came unacceptable compression across =
text and images.  I poked around user forums and played for half a day but =
no matter what I could not get an output that did not re-enocde the pages w=
ith a heavy compression scheme.
> Before scanning certain titles, I did a search online and if I found a ma=
tch then I compared the quality of the image presented compared to what I w=
as able to squeeze out of my ScanSnap and photoshop actions.  The result is=
 zero / greatly reduced page bleed through, white pages and black text that=
 is deskewed. =20
> These magazines are older than 20 years at a minimum and have, like out A=
pple computers, yellowed over time.  Dealing with mustard colour pages come=
s with a compromise in contrast which I=E2=80=99ve tried to achieve.

Downloaded and unable to open Compute magazines on either a WinXp machine o=
r MacOSX10.7.

What version of Adobe Reader is required?
0
gids
12/21/2016 7:23:57 AM
On Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at 1:23:58 AM UTC-6, gid...@sasktel.net wro=
te:
> [...]
 with a heavy compression scheme.
> > Before scanning certain titles, I did a search online and if I found a =
match then I compared the quality of the image presented compared to what I=
 was able to squeeze out of my ScanSnap and photoshop actions.  The result =
is zero / greatly reduced page bleed through, white pages and black text th=
at is deskewed. =20
> > These magazines are older than 20 years at a minimum and have, like out=
 Apple computers, yellowed over time.  Dealing with mustard colour pages co=
mes with a compromise in contrast which I=E2=80=99ve tried to achieve.
>=20
>=20
> Downloaded and unable to open Compute magazines on either a WinXp machine=
 or MacOSX10.7.
>=20
> What version of Adobe Reader is required?

never mind.  Re-downloaded and seems to be ok.
0
gids