Power adaptor for apple iic

Hi,
I've just picked up an apple iic from ebay - without power adaptor
(brick).  Are there any problems with attaching a generic 12v dc power
adaptor?
Thanks for your help!

0
csabai (4)
6/28/2006 3:40:09 AM
comp.sys.apple2 11066 articles. 4 followers. antoine.vignau (1077) is leader. Post Follow

--------------enig6E57EC2D9A3476726352EFCC

csabai@walla.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I've just picked up an apple iic from ebay - without power adaptor
> (brick).  Are there any problems with attaching a generic 12v dc power
> adaptor? =20
> Thanks for your help!
>=20
Well a //c uses a 15vdc 1.2amp 18watt brick plus it has a unique power
plug. But if you can find a 15vdc power adapter with at least a 1.2 amp
rating and you make a custom plug on it then you should be fine.

--=20
V/R
Mark Frischknecht

si vis pacem, para bellum
http://www.appleiiguy.net
Apple ][ Forever!

--------------enig6E57EC2D9A3476726352EFCC

--------------enig6E57EC2D9A3476726352EFCC--
0
appleiiguy (177)
6/28/2006 3:45:36 AM
Hmm - guess I'd better start looking for a brick then...
Cheers!
Mark Frischknecht wrote:
> csabai@walla.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I've just picked up an apple iic from ebay - without power adaptor
> > (brick).  Are there any problems with attaching a generic 12v dc power
> > adaptor?
> > Thanks for your help!
> >
> Well a //c uses a 15vdc 1.2amp 18watt brick plus it has a unique power
> plug. But if you can find a 15vdc power adapter with at least a 1.2 amp
> rating and you make a custom plug on it then you should be fine.
>
> --
> V/R
> Mark Frischknecht
>
> si vis pacem, para bellum
> http://www.appleiiguy.net
> Apple ][ Forever!

0
csabai (4)
6/28/2006 3:47:51 AM
Mark Frischknecht wrote:
> Well a //c uses a 15vdc 1.2amp 18watt brick plus it has a unique power
> plug. But if you can find a 15vdc power adapter with at least a 1.2 amp
> rating and you make a custom plug on it then you should be fine.

The plug is not that difficult to find - it is a 7 pin DIN female line
connector. Hmm, my local suppliers no longer list it. I think this
might work as a 7 pin DIN plug should fit 8 pin DIN socket.
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PS0358

The power supply voltage is not that critical either - I will have to
check my copy of the IIc Technical Reference Manual but 12-15V is
definitely OK and probably up to 20V would not cause problems. The
major problem is the current rating - you need a big plug pack if it is
a linear unit or a decent switchmode plug pack.

0
mcs6502 (519)
--------------enigE922EDD438F4739157D84BBD

David Wilson wrote:
> Mark Frischknecht wrote:
>> Well a //c uses a 15vdc 1.2amp 18watt brick plus it has a unique power=

>> plug. But if you can find a 15vdc power adapter with at least a 1.2 am=
>> rating and you make a custom plug on it then you should be fine.
>=20
> The plug is not that difficult to find - it is a 7 pin DIN female line
> connector. Hmm, my local suppliers no longer list it. I think this
> might work as a 7 pin DIN plug should fit 8 pin DIN socket.
> http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=3DPS0358
>=20
> The power supply voltage is not that critical either - I will have to
> check my copy of the IIc Technical Reference Manual but 12-15V is
> definitely OK and probably up to 20V would not cause problems. The
> major problem is the current rating - you need a big plug pack if it is=

> a linear unit or a decent switchmode plug pack.
>=20
Yeah I dont think the voltage is critical I am using mine to run my
Laser 128EX which has the same power pinout as the //c

http://home.swbell.net/rubywand/R023PINOUTS.TXT the apple //c power
pinout is listed here.

Figure 11-1  External Power Connector
=2E     --+ +--       Pin#      Signal
=2E   / 7 |_| 1 \     Pin 1     Not Connected
=2E  | 6       2 |    Pin 2,3   Signal Ground
=2E   \ 5  4  3 /     Pin 4     Shield Ground
=2E    \_______/      Pin 5,6   +15 VDC
=2E                   Pin 7     Not Connected

Table 11-3   External Power Connector Signals

Pin#    Name      Description
1,7       --      Not Connected
2,3     Ground    Common Electrical Ground
4       Chassis   Chassis Ground
5,6     +15       +15-volt DC input to converter

--=20
V/R
Mark Frischknecht

si vis pacem, para bellum
http://www.appleiiguy.net
Apple ][ Forever!

--------------enigE922EDD438F4739157D84BBD

--------------enigE922EDD438F4739157D84BBD--
0
appleiiguy (177)
6/28/2006 4:40:22 AM
Mark Frischknecht wrote:
> csabai@walla.com wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>I've just picked up an apple iic from ebay - without power adaptor
>>(brick).  Are there any problems with attaching a generic 12v dc power
>>adaptor?
>>Thanks for your help!
>>

> Well a //c uses a 15vdc 1.2amp 18watt brick plus it has a unique power
> plug. But if you can find a 15vdc power adapter with at least a 1.2 amp
> rating and you make a custom plug on it then you should be fine.

Since it runs quite well on a 12v battery, a 12v supply at 1.5A-2A
should be just fine.  These are not hard to find, but in this current
rating, they will generally be switch mode power supplies (lighter than
an iron transformer).

-michael

Parallel computing for 8-bit Apple II's!
Home page:  http://members.aol.com/MJMahon/

"The wastebasket is our most important design
tool--and it is seriously underused."
0
mjmahon (7061)
6/28/2006 7:02:22 AM
> Since it runs quite well on a 12v battery, a 12v supply at 1.5A-2A
> should be just fine.  These are not hard to find, but in this current
> rating, they will generally be switch mode power supplies (lighter than
> an iron transformer).

You can under-volt this thing?  Seriously?  Holy cow -- time to make a
custom tip for my iGo Juice.  I hate this brick on a leash, it makes my
luggage twice as heavy!

-B

BLuRry wrote:
> You can under-volt this thing?  Seriously?  Holy cow -- time to make a
> custom tip for my iGo Juice.  I hate this brick on a leash, it makes my
> luggage twice as heavy!

I just took a look at my IIc Tech Ref manual (2nd edition) and on page
307 we find that the IIc internal power converter can run on inputs
from +9 to +20 volts DC. It has maximum power consumption of 25W.

In theory the voltage and current figures would look like this:

25W / 9V = 2.8A
25W / 12V = 2.1A
25W / 15V = 1.6A
25W / 20V = 1.25A

As you drop the voltage the current increases (assuming the efficiency
remains unchanged).

0
mcs6502 (519)
6/28/2006 3:44:55 PM
> In theory the voltage and current figures would look like this:
>
> 25W / 9V = 2.8A
> 25W / 12V = 2.1A
> 25W / 15V = 1.6A
> 25W / 20V = 1.25A

Beautiful.  The iGo juice can crank out anywhere between 15v to 20v,
70W max.  So this is well within the limits of what this power supply
can handle.

Now all I have to do is find an iGo tip that outputs a lower (close to
15v) voltage and find an appropriate female din for the //c.

David Wilson wrote:

> The plug is not that difficult to find - it is a 7 pin DIN female line
> connector. Hmm, my local suppliers no longer list it. I think this
> might work as a 7 pin DIN plug should fit 8 pin DIN socket.
> http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PS0358

Make sure you get the right one, at least over here in Germany there are
two types of 8-pin DIN. The angles between the outer pins are a bit
different.

--
Linards Ticmanis
0
Linards Ticmanis wrote:
> Make sure you get the right one, at least over here in Germany there are
> two types of 8-pin DIN. The angles between the outer pins are a bit
> different.

Indeed (that was why I qualified my statement...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_connector

I am fairly sure that the Apple IIc requires a 270 degree 7 or 8 pin
female line socket.

0
mcs6502 (519)