Ramworks

What are the chief differences between the three models of AE Ramworks
for the Apple IIe?  I believe Ramworks I only allowed the user to put
64x1 chips into the sockets for a maximum of 512KB of RAM.  Ramworks II
requires 256x1 chips for up to 1MB of RAM.  I believe Ramworks III lets
you choose between the 64kbit and the 256kbit chips, but I could be
mistaken.  Ramworks II has headers for a further RAM expansion board
and an RGB Video output board.  Ramworks III also has these headers.

Which is better, Ramworks II/III or an Apple IIe Memory Expansion
board?  The Ramworks card uses the auxillary Apple IIe memory slot
while the Apple expansion uses the standard expansion slots.  You save
a slot with Ramworks, but the Apple board gives you 64KB more to play
with if there isn't 64KB extra on the Ramworks card (I can't remember
whether there is.)  I assume support for both boards to be about the
same (i.e. Apple Works.)

Speaking of Apple Works, what other applications and games can take
advantage of more than 128KB of RAM?

comp.sys.apple2 11066 articles. 3 followers. antoine.vignau (1077) is leader. Post Follow

greathierophant@gmail.com wrote:
> Which is better, Ramworks II/III or an Apple IIe Memory Expansion
> board?

The Ramworks II/III hold up to 1.5MB while the Apple "Slinky" Memory
card only holds 1MB (as does the Ramfactor which was AE's Slinky card).

Programs can execute out of Aux slot RAM but have to be copied out of
slot RAM cards first.

If you have a PAL or International NTSC IIe motherboard the Ramworks II
will not fit as the Aux slot is to close to the rear of the
motherboard. I understand the III was released to fix this.

0
mcs6502 (519)
1/9/2006 12:46:22 PM
The Ramworks III has 2 sets of expansion headers on on it, one on each
side of the board.

1) A RGB expander for a Colorlink RGB piggyback card.
2) A Memory expander that accepted either a 512KB, 2MB(rare) or 15/16MB
(extremely %$#@ rare) piggyback card.

Uses:
ProTerm takes awesome advantage of the extended memory via the
scrollback buffer and Text editor.  Some copy programs enabled you to
read entire 800k or 1.44 disks in one pass if you had adequate memory.
Likewise expanded memory was always good in programming environments.

- Paul

0
skierpaul (650)
1/9/2006 5:23:02 PM
PZ wrote:
> 1) A RGB expander for a Colorlink RGB piggyback card.

There are two or three different RGB piggyback cards
made for the RamWorks.  The ColorLink has IBM 9-pin
CGA/EGA and 15-pin Apple analog RGB (IIgs) outputs.
The Digital Prism has IBM 9-pin CGA/EGA and 15-pin
Apple digital RGB (Color 100) outputs.

AE made three different RGB piggyback cards.

The Color Link has IBM 9-pin CGA and Apple IIgs
15-pin analog outputs (Apple IIgs RGB monitor).

The Digital Prism has IBM 9-pin CGA and Apple III
15-pin digital outputs (Applecolor 100 monitor).

The third one just has one digital RGB output.

--
Paul R. Santa-Maria
Monroe, Michigan USA

- Paul

0
skierpaul (650)
1/10/2006 5:57:24 AM
 The RAMWorks II and III had 2 memory expansion possibilities, a 512K
card, and a 2 Meg card for 1.5 or 3 Megs max.  The 3 Meg card took a
weird memory chip. Also, the III was made to work with the Pal //e as
well.

  One time a long, long time ago I interviewed Dan Pote, the guy who
started AE, and on his desk was the design drawing of the then
unnanounced RAMWorks I card.  I believe at that time they had a 128K
expansion card for the //e, can't recall the name of it though.  They
also let me borrow a card for testing and a review, and they never
asked for it back. Can't remember what it was.

  And one time one of the engineers called me wanting to buy one of the
newer Apple parallel cards, the ones with the 7 switches.  I was
thinking $25-$30 for it, I figured at the time.  I asked them what they
wanted to pay for it, and the guy came back on the phone and said Dan
will give you $100 for it.

  Once a guy called me at my shop, cause he knew I repaired Apples and
offered me 2 pallets of Apple IC's left over from the manufacture of
//e and //c's in Carrollton, TX.  It was $1200 for all of them.  A lot
of money to me 20 years ago.  A guy I eventually went to go work for
bought them and made over $50,000 off them, selling piecemeal.  I know
AE bought a bunch of the MMU and IOU chips from him for $10 a whack.
Sigh......

  Same guy also bought an entire warehouse of Apple circuit boards from
mostly //e, //c and Lisa.  Some Mac stuff too.  This was all boards
that Apple failed to repair.  I know there were at least 2000 Disk II
analog cards.  My job for over a year was to try and fix this stuff and
he would sell, or better yet, exchange the boards.  All had been
through a bed-of-nails test, and had the paperwork on each board.

  Sorry for the ramblings.  But Apple repairs had been good to me for a
long time.

Raymond

0
SiliconSam (224)

sys.apple2 not working for me
Send me private mail if anyone knows... On Saturday, August 10, 2013 12:09:23 PM UTC-5, Bill Buckels wrote: > Send me private mail if anyone knows... I still got access. gmail me at retrogear510 if you need password. Larry Hi! On Saturday, August 10, 2013 1:09:23 PM UTC-4, Bill Buckels wrote: > Send me private mail if anyone knows... Somebody changed the '2' at the end of the previous password to 'ii'. Time to copy the files to a Dropbox or Google Drive account? Especially considering that the person who started the GMail account has pa...

What are files Z80.SYS, Z80CCP.SYS and PRMTVPVT.SYS for?
Had a good Christmas this weekend? I came across diskettes with "Mailmerge 3.0 and Calcstar version 1.45 for CP/M 8080", that seem to be for a Dec Rainbow machine. Besides a Mailmerge overlay and the Calcstar files, some CP/M and some CP/M-86 files, there are three files on the diskettes that I never have heard of before: Z80.SYS, Z80CCP.SYS and PRMTVPVT.SYS. There are no ASCII texts in PRMTVPVT.SYS. The only ASCII text in Z80.SYS (at the end of the file) is "EI SPHLDI XCHGPCHLXTHLRET HLT CMC STC CMA DAA RAR RAL RRC RLC NOP CPI ORI XRI ANI SBI IN SUI OUT ACI ADI CALLJMP LDA...

How to get file descriptors of sys.stdin, sys.stdout and sys.stderr?
How to get file descriptors of sys.stdin, sys.stdout and sys.stderr? On 11/13/2014 7:51 PM, satishmlmlml@gmail.com wrote: in 4 different threads > How to get file descriptors of sys.stdin, sys.stdout and sys.stderr? > fileno() in not supported. Is it only in 3.1? What is the workaround? > io.UnsupportedOperation: fileno > How to give a file descriptor number to this function? How to get a file descriptor number? Satish, you are acting like the variety of troll called a Help Vampire. One of the symptoms is hogging the newsgroup by starting multiple threads a da...

How to get file descriptors of sys.stdin, sys.stdout and sys.stderr? #2
How to get file descriptors of sys.stdin, sys.stdout and sys.stderr? On 11/13/14 7:54 PM, satishmlmlml@gmail.com wrote: > How to get file descriptors of sys.stdin, sys.stdout and sys.stderr? > You don't seem to be reading any of the responses you are getting. At the very least, you don't seem to be understanding them, or engaging with the authors. You are misbehaving on this list. Everyone else: I recommend that people stop responding. Satish seems unlikely to improve. -- Ned Batchelder, http://nedbatchelder.com ...

sys
Is it OT here to talk about IPC and pipes? Or are all aspects of kernle programming ok here? Bill Bill Cunningham <nospam@nspam.com> wrote: > Is it OT here to talk about IPC and pipes? Or are all aspects of kernle > programming ok here? If you want to discuss how IPC and pipes are implemented in the kernel it's completely ok. But if you're interested in how to use IPC or pipes from a userland program then posting to e.g. comp.unix.programmer or comp.os.linux.development.apps will probably make a lot more sense. R...

sys
computer common oriented http://www.freewebs.com/buildem/ http://amigos.com/go/g904313-pmem ...

sys
Dear Friend, I have found some websites: for msn messenger, http://www.hotmailpk.com/ For entertainment,spotlight.articles,interviews,dailyupdate htttp://www.familyandtwist.com/ for sms messeges, smsjokes, http://www.smstwist.com/ for articles,entertainment,beauty tips,news,showbiz and fashion http://http://www.familypk.com Visit these websites: Thanks ...

SYSMAN: No SYS$SCRATCH/SYS$LOGIN ?
$ mc sysman SYSMAN> set env/node=velo %SYSMAN-I-ENV, current command environment: Individual nodes: VELO Username JFMEZEI will be used on nonlocal nodes SYSMAN> do show log sys$scratch %SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node VELO %SHOW-S-NOTRAN, no translation for logical name SYS$SCRATCH SYSMAN> There is also no SYS$LOGIN defined. (VAX 7,3 and Alpha 8.3) What is the reason behind the lack of those logicals ? JF Mezei wrote: > $ mc sysman > SYSMAN> set env/node=velo > %SYSMAN-I-ENV, current command environment: > Individual nodes:...

Win98 IO.SYS / JO.SYS
Does anyone happen to know how many sectors or clusters are loaded of IO.SYS (or JO.SYS, if it's different), under Win98? is there a limit to the number of clusters that get loaded? or is the whole chain loaded? i know that execution begins at 0070:0200... (as opposed to MSDOS v6.22, starting IO.SYS execution at 0070:0000) ...i'm just trying to figure out how much code i can pack into JO.SYS before i have to start loading something else off of the disk... i don't want to have to worry about the disk for the time being... thanks in advance Bx.C Bx. C wrote: > Does anyone ha...

com.sys and usbser.sys question
I got a question, for those knowing more about that matter than myself, which shouldn't be hard ;-) Temporarily having 2 phone lines at my disposal, I wanted to put my old modem back to use as a phone number dialer, using the BonusPack PIM Phonebook application. But I had quite some trouble to get my COM1 port to work at all with any comm application. It finally turned out, that COM.SYS has to be loaded before USBSER.SYS, since otherwise USBSER.SYS is hijacking COM1 unnoticed. Now, in the order shown below, it assigns itself to COM6 (if not remed out), but COM1 still d...

sys.stdout vs. sys.stderr
In Python 3.1 is there any difference in the buffering behavior of the initial sys.stdout and sys.stderr streams? They are both line_buffered and stdout doesn't seem to use a larger-grain buffering, so they seem to be identical with respect to buffering. Were they different at some earlier point in Python's evolution? > In Python 3.1 is there any difference in the buffering behavior of the > initial sys.stdout and sys.stderr streams? No. > Were they different at some earlier point in Python's evolution? That depends on the operating system. These us...

com.sys & vcom.sys
It's been a while since I last installed 1.1 and when I did it yesterday I forgot to de-select Ray Gwinn's com drivers. After installation I removed the entries from config.sys and un-remmed com.sys and vcom.sys but they won't load. I checked and it's in c:/os2/boot. What's the cure? :-) Wayne -- While the e-mail address in this post is genuine it is only used as a spamtrap. Any mail sent to me at this address will be considered to be spam and deleted without being read. Wayne wrote: > It's been a while since I last installed 1.1 and when I > did it yesterday I...

question about sys.exc_type and sys.exc_value
Here is an exercise from Learning Python that I wrote myself: import sys import traceback class MyError: pass def oops(): raise MyError() def safe(func, *args): try: apply(func, args) except: traceback.print_exc() print 'Got', sys.exc_type, sys.exc_value safe(oops) And here is the output: Traceback (most recent call last): File "C:/Python24/oops.py", line 11, in safe apply(func, args) File "C:/Python24/oops.py", line 7, in oops raise MyError() MyError: <__main__.MyError instance at 0x00B475A8> Go...

SYS$SPECIFIC and SYS$COMMON not enough?
Basically, the idea is that stuff specific to a given node will be in its SYS$SPECIFIC directory and stuff common to all nodes (satellites or not) booting from the same system disk will be in SYS$COMMON. A good idea as far as it goes, but does it go far enough? In particular, there are two additional categories, which I'll give the obvious names SYS$CLUSTER and SYS$WORLD. SYS$CLUSTER would include stuff common to all nodes in a cluster, i.e. would differ from SYS$COMMON if there is more than one system disk in the cluster. The obvious place for this stuff is somewhere which is not ...

sys.stderr.write and sys.exit
Is the same use _sys.stderr.write('error message'); sys.exit(1)_ than _sys.exit('error message')_ ? Note: help(sys.exit) If the status is omitted or None, it defaults to zero (i.e., success). If the status is numeric, it will be used as the system exit status. If it is another kind of object, it will be printed and the system exit status will be one (i.e., failure). "GinTon" <jonas.esp@googlemail.com> writes: > Is the same use _sys.stderr.write('error message'); sys.exit(1)_ > than _sys.exit('error message')_ ? (Note: The underscore &...

FYI Sys Shock and Sys Shock2
Up in a.b.games now "Legion" <Legion@Invalid.com> wrote in message news:juphu55oonf2bfc4r2h1gnr9nb41eab1aa@4ax.com... > Up in a.b.games now If I want to play them again, I'm more than capable of buying them again. Thanks. On Tue, 11 May 2010 15:37:18 +0100, "CJM" <cjmuk2008@gmail.removethis.com> wrote: >"Legion" <Legion@Invalid.com> wrote in message >news:juphu55oonf2bfc4r2h1gnr9nb41eab1aa@4ax.com... >> Up in a.b.games now > >If I want to play them again, I'm more than capable of buying them ag...

freedos and config.sys vs fdconfig.sys
Hi, I am trying to bring freedos up on a pc104 with only compact flash as a "disk" drive. Most of the install stuff uses fixed literal names for drive letters etc. Through lots of pain I now have a bootable CF with freedos files and it runs. I keep having a problem where freedos does not load config.sys during boot. If I format the CF with msdos, and then run the freedos "sys c: /BOOTONLY" I can make the CF bootable with freedos. At this point it somehow detects that there is another OS, so it always loads fdconfig.sys. Things seem to work ok in normal mode lik...

Re: SYS$SPECIFIC and SYS$COMMON not enough?
> >What are some real-world examples of stuff which is common to all nodes > >which boot from a common system disk, but not common to all nodes in a > >cluster, even in a share-as-much-as-possible cluster? > > One use of a cluster is testing new system SW. You can make a copy of your > main system disk and upgrade the software there (say, a VMS patch). Then > boot one system using that disk and see how it works, while the rest of the > cluster does your production work using the old system without the upgrade. > In that case, any files affected by the ...

sys.stdout / sys.stderr, subprocess, redirection
Hello, I have a piece of code that gets run in a script that has its stdout closed: import sys sys.stdout = sys.stderr c = subprocess.Popen (..., stdin = subprocess.PIPE, stdout = subprocess.PIPE, stderr = subprocess.STDOUT) and this is what I get: Sending SVNR/permissions Transmitting file data .svn: Commit failed (details follow): svn: 'pre-commit' hook failed with error output: Traceback (most recent call last): (...) File ".../__init__.py", line 40, in run stderr...

Apple2e
Hi all I have an old Apple 2e that is, I believe in good working order. It has two floppy drives, monitor, printer. Of course, the hard drive. Where can I sell them and how much can I ask for it? Thanks, C. C wrote: >Hi all >I have an old Apple 2e that is, I believe in good working order. It has >two floppy drives, monitor, printer. Of course, the hard drive. Where >can I sell them and how much can I ask for it? > >Thanks, >C. > > > Short answer: eBay, for US$10 - $100+ Long answer: Lots of variables apply. The rarity and condition of...

problem with reload(sys) (doing reload on the sys module)
Python 2.4.2 (#67, Sep 28 2005, 12:41:11) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on win32 Type "copyright", "credits" or "license()" for more information. **************************************************************** Personal firewall software may warn about the connection IDLE makes to its subprocess using this computer's internal loopback interface. This connection is not visible on any external interface and no data is sent to or received from the Internet. **************************************************************** IDLE 1.1.2 >&g...

Re: SYS$SPECIFIC and SYS$COMMON not enough? #2
> How weird - we did this as a different excercise to do upgrades off > line on the read only stuff, and swap it back in quickly. We also have > a third party product root to keep our own/third party stuff out of > SYS$SYSDEVICE:[VMS$COMMON...] tree, like a "/usr/local...". > > H sh lo sys$sysroot > "SYS$SYSROOT" = "$9$DKA0:[SYS0.]" (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE) > = "SYS$COMMON:" > 1 "SYS$COMMON" = "CLU$COMMON:" (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE) > = "VMS$COMMON:" > = "OUR$COMMON:&...

DADCONF.NET.SYS is created by JCONFJOB.NET.SYS
Never mind the question about DADCONF.NET.SYS. I found the following: http://docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/fsearch/framedisplay?top=/mpeix/onlinedocs/30 216-90325/30216-90325_top.html&con=/mpeix/onlinedocs/30216-90325/00/00/6 8-con.html&toc=/mpeix/onlinedocs/30216-90325/00/00/68-toc.html&searchter ms=dadconf.net.sys&queryid=20041022-080827 For the network to work correctly, stream JCONFJOB. :STREAM JCONFJOB.NET.SYS The JCONFJOB.NET.SYS stream is required for all systems. It includes information files that describe the supported set of servers and services. These information fi...

sys/processor.h sys/loadavg.h in linux?
I have a program I wrote for Solaris. I am trying to port the program to linux. One of the problems I am having is attaining hardware information on the machine. Using sys/processor.h on solaris, I am able to num cpu's and clock speed. Using sys/loadavg.h, I am able to get the load avg u/s/i. I can still get mem, and free mem from sysconf, that is ok. I would rather not parse through /proc/cpuinfo! TIA, ~S ...

Web resources about - Ramworks - comp.sys.apple2

Disclaimer: I am trying to be technically accurate but please send any comments or corrections and I will update this blog post. =========== ...

About me personally, professionally, and about this site
I’m in my 30’s, married with two kids, two dogs and live in St Johns, FL. Jacksonville is where I’ve lived since I was born, except for a 4 year ...

Book scans - Applefritter
I have an apple FTP server up that I offered to keep up as the official AppleFritter FTP, but only a handful of people, not including administrators, ...

2015 Denver Dog Show Shopping
February 12-16, 2015 with some of the countries Top Dogs. A Complete Show Every Day: Conformation, Agility, Rally, Obedience, Including Special ...

The Trailing Edge Collection - Apple //e
??/??/94 : Acquired. 07/19/97 : Acquired a second Apple //e with 2 Disk IIs, an Apple Dot Matrix Printer, Apple Monitor //, Extended80-Column ...

Super Serial Card Issue w/ADTPro SpeediBoot
So, if I try to do a Speediboot from ADTPro, I do the IN#2, then the ctrl-a, and don't get a SSC> prompt. It also won't speediboot. I can load ...

Apple IIe Numeric Keypad
I am thinkin about getting one of the external numeric keypads for my Apple //e, but am unsure where to connect it. They look to have a DB9 type ...