text file not mac text

please remind me of the difference. An 8-bit  prog. I have needs ASCII
text. if I save a file as TEXT or simpletext on a mac, it isnt accepted.
I remember 'forked files' but no details......

Is there a II utilty to 'convert' a mac text file to acceptable II ascii
text?

thanks.
0
cornelio (8)
9/12/2003 12:22:12 AM
comp.sys.apple2 11066 articles. 4 followers. antoine.vignau (1077) is leader. Post Follow

cornelio <cornelio@san.rr.com> wrote:

> please remind me of the difference. An 8-bit  prog. I have needs ASCII
> text. if I save a file as TEXT or simpletext on a mac, it isnt accepted.
> I remember 'forked files' but no details......
>
> Is there a II utilty to 'convert' a mac text file to acceptable II ascii
> text?
>
> thanks.

I think BBedit Lite can save as unforked ASCII text, but I may be wrong
about that (try using SAVE AS --> OPTIONS...). Track down a copy of
UNFORKIT for the Apple II, it'll do the job. UNFORKIT is a bit buggy and
can wreak havoc on your files, so I'd recommend keeping copies of
everything (including unforkit) and not leaving any other disks
mounted... I've had at least one instance where it went on a rampage
through all my drives and buggered up everything it came across.

Another option is Protype for Macintosh which is apparently still
commercial software, though I don't recall where you can get it (maybe
syndicomm???)

-Simon
0
spam459 (140)
9/12/2003 5:41:36 AM
In article <1g159yx.gca1iy18of728N%spam@luddite.ca>,
 spam@luddite.ca (Ned Ludd) wrote:

> cornelio <cornelio@san.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > please remind me of the difference. An 8-bit  prog. I have needs ASCII
> > text. if I save a file as TEXT or simpletext on a mac, it isnt accepted.
> > I remember 'forked files' but no details......
> >
> > Is there a II utilty to 'convert' a mac text file to acceptable II ascii
> > text?

I cant figure out how to get unforkit from my iMac to my IIc+ but I did
find something on the Mac side tht I think will work - here is part of
the readme file:

puriTEXT 1.3 (April 25, 1997)
Copyright ´┐Ż1994-1997 Mizutori Tetsuya
This program is freeware.

About the puriTEXT program
This is an application program that deletes the resource fork of
Macintosh document files. The operation is simple. Just drag and drop
the document files onto the puriTEXT application icon. The program is
written under the Metrowerks´┐Ż C++ application framework of PowerPlant.
0
cornelio (8)