ATARI BBS GATEWAY (links to all Atari BBS's on one BBS!)

FamilyNet International Newsgate

A long time & stable Dallas BBS, The Prison Board, has offered to provide a
"Favorites page" for the Atari BBS users.  Other users (like Tcropper) and I
provided an up to date BBS list of the active Atari sites out there, and Rueben
(PB Sysop) created a place you can go to, bring up an Atari telnet menu, and go
directly to that Atari BBS. icon_smile.gif   (Recently a Commodore BBS list has
been added too.)

Ever been curious to see the online world of Atari computers? Come check out
the Prison Board BBS:

972-329-0781 (this number good for people want to try out Atari modems, and
dialup means.)
216.62.20.217 (This IP number is great for Lantronix users, and has not changed
for a considerable time.)   [IP Still accurate April 13, 2008]  (also
telnet://rdfig.net)

Trying to dial in with a stock Atari 300/1200 baud modem?  You poor soul!  But
this has been less painful with a new feature.  When you log in and the BBS
asks for your log in name type "*[First name] [last name] [password]"  and
you'll skip over the log in screens and get taken directly to the main menu.

Never has the online Atari world been so easy to access from your Atari
computer. Simply call up the above system, get to the main menu, X for the
internet menu, and then A for the Atari menu. From there, it is simply a matter
of hitting 1 through 9 for the Atari BBS's. Atari BBS's in many cases run on
real Atari computers like the one you're calling with.  Both chats are there,
and one BBS is listed that you will not see anywhere else.

And the Prison board makes a great E-mail service too. icon_smile.gif    You
can E-mail the outside world with a real E-mail account, and if you wanted to
surf the web on your Atari computer (especially 8-bits) there are telnetable
locations with Lynx browsers you can hit from the Prison Board's telnet out
feature.

Let me know here if you have any questions, and many thanks to The Prison Board
BBS for this awesome service.

-----------------------------------
Naturally a BBS sysop loves more users, but seldom have I seen a sysop that
have bent over backward for his users that he would be a pretzel at this point.
 Changes that Rueben has added as of April 13, 2008 for the retro computer
 community, and all I had to do was ask nicely and give feedback that you've
 given on how to make it better:

1) Added the Atari BBS list
2) Opened up 300 baud support.  (this is turned off on modern BBS's) 3) Paid
for the licences to add more lines.  I think he started with 3-5 lines.
 Traffic increased when we started this, and so more lines were needed.
 4) Added the Commodore BBS list
 5) Added links to the Atari chats on both atarinews and the IRC chat.
 6) Added the ability to skip all log-in screens.  (this added with 300 baud
 users in mind).

FamilyNet <> Internet Gated Mail
http://www.familynet-international.org

0
Greg
4/13/2008 2:57:17 PM
comp.sys.atari.8bit 3450 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Atari BBS's
Hey everyone, I've been looking around and it looks pretty definitive that there's a resurgence interest in BBS's in general and on Atari's. This is what I've learned as kind of a wrapup for other people. There are several ways to connect an Atari BBS to the internet. One, at http://www.coldwinterknights.net is STiNGadel. I was a bit skeptical but this simplistic BBS is rather addictive in design and obviously reliable in that it's still up since the announcement back in July of 2005. Unlike other Atari BBS's it's truly multi-line and now multi-l...

Atari BBS
I got all the gear together to telnet with my 130XE to the Atari bulletin boards I had been reading about, and now most if not all seem to be taken down. I know "YOU" is setting one up. Does any one else have one in the works? It would be great to have a couple that we can all depend on. What do you think? Are others interested? -- Joseph D. Place ATARI FalconCT60, 1040STE, STacy4, Portfolio, 130XE, 400. -- Joseph D. Place ATARI FalconCT60, 1040STE, STacy4, Portfolio, 130XE, 400. Mine is still up! -- Cabell A8 Internet BBS: telnet://bfbbs.no-ip.com A8 ...

How to setup an Atari based BBS on the 'Net?
Title says it all. Can anyone give details or point me to a good FAQ/Howto? I've got cable-modem servic here. I run Mandrake Linux. I used to sysop an Atari based BBS, via dial-up, back in the mid 90's, called "The DarkForce! BBS". I'd love to get it up and running again. :-) On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 01:47:15 -0500, Ronald J. Hall wrote: > Title says it all. > > Can anyone give details or point me to a good FAQ/Howto? > > I've got cable-modem servic here. I run Mandrake Linux. > > I used to sysop an Atari based BBS, via dial-up, back in the m...

Atari Inside BBS ??
So.. Whats the verdict with the "Atari Inside BBS"? What happened? -- @ @ @ ------------------------------------- @ @ @ @ @ @ James King - jamesk_AT_xmission_DOT_com @ @ @ @ @ @ ------------------------------------- @ @ @ Atari 8bit hobbyist by choice, IT Professional by accident! I heard Marius shut it down. -- Cabell A8 Internet BBS: telnet://bfbbs.no-ip.com A8 Website: www.amfband.com/bf/ "James King" <jamesk@ATxmissionDOT.com> wrote in message news:d32ace$brl$1@news.xmission.com....

Atari BBS #4
I got all the gear together to telnet with my 130XE to the Atari bulletin boards I had been reading about, and now most if not all seem to be taken down. I know "YOU" is setting one up. Does any one else have one in the works? It would be great to have a couple that we can all depend on. What do you think? Are others interested? -- Joseph D. Place ATARI FalconCT60, 1040STE, STacy4, Portfolio, 130XE, 400. -- Joseph D. Place ATARI FalconCT60, 1040STE, STacy4, Portfolio, 130XE, 400. -- Joseph D. Place ATARI FalconCT60, 1040STE, STacy4, Portfolio, 130XE, 400. -...

Atari BBS NEWS!
FamilyNet International Newsgate Some interesting BBS news... this is just to catch you up so that you can go into the BBS's without having to dig for this and can therefore just jump in.... 1) Boot Factory - sysop Abdul (Atari 8-bit BBS, emulation, ATASCII option) Running well. Marius (of the fifth BBS to be mentioned here) mentioned thinking about selling his Atari equipment on the message base here. I really hope he didn't. GAMES ON THE BOOT FACTORY 1. Blackjack 2. Rule Prometheus! (Kingdom) 3. Pro-Zee 4. Keno! 5. Life Expectancy -. Coal Mines of Midlothi...

Atari BBS directory
FamilyNet International Newsgate For all you Atari users (which I think is why we are here) there is a list of BBS's that are being run on other Atari computers. :) Quick intructions on getting to the most current Atari BBS list: -telnet://pb.darktech.org -Get to the main menu -X for the internet menu -A for the Atari menu And at this point, select a BBS. Take care and enjoy! Doc Clu FamilyNet <> Internet Gated Mail http://www.familynet-international.org ...

Atari BBS News!
FamilyNet International Newsgate Some interesting BBS news... this is just to catch you up so that you can go into the BBS's without having to dig for this and can therefore just jump in.... 1) Boot Factory - sysop Abdul (Atari 8-bit BBS, emulation, ATASCII option) Running well. Marius (of the fifth BBS to be mentioned here) mentioned thinking about selling his Atari equipment on the message base here. I really hope he didn't. GAMES ON THE BOOT FACTORY 1. Blackjack 2. Rule Prometheus! (Kingdom) 3. Pro-Zee 4. Keno! 5. Life Expectancy -. Coal Mines of Midlothi...

Atari Connection BBS
Wow.. Talk about nostalgia.. I just came across an old hard drive with the entire contents of my old "Atari Connection BBS" from 1996 - complete with all the message bases, online games and user accounts just as they existed in 1996. If I could figure out how to get this old Pro! BBS online (via telnet/ssh), I'd do so. If for no other reason, the BBS has a ton of 8bit files still there. -- @ @ @ ------------------------------------- @ @ @ @ @ @ James King - jamesk_AT_xmission_DOT_com @ @ @ @ @ @ -------------------...

Atari Internet BBS
Hello folks, I'd just like to note that over at http://portal.atari-source.com, there's news of a new Octopus BBS release. For those that don't know, this is the single only Atari BBS package that runs natively on an Atari and uses the Stik internet connection to run an internet available telnet BBS (if you choose) or still functions in it's original form using any port, even MIDI. I've taken up development and maintenance for Octopus BBS from the original author, Koos Kuil and it's completely free now. I've evaluated other Atari BBS options and I be...

Another Atari BBS!
Well after somewhat popular demand, I have put my BBS back up. The Electric Cafe' Telnet over to thecafe.dtdns.net and use PORT 8888 Everything is still intact. I have moved the equipment to my office to make it a bit easier to manage. Thomas On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 15:50:26 -0600, Docrotcod wrote: > Well after somewhat popular demand, I have put my BBS back up. > > The Electric Cafe' > > Telnet over to thecafe.dtdns.net and use PORT 8888 > > Everything is still intact. I have moved the equipment to my office to make > it a bit e...

Atari Telnet BBS
Just a reminder - my telnet BBS is back online and running. The Electric Cafe' BBS thecafe.dtdns.net Use port 8888 Thanks! ...

Atari BBS #2
I got all the gear together to telnet with my 130XE to the Atari bulletin boards I had been reading about, and now most if not all seem to be taken down. I know "YOU" is setting one up. Does any one else have one in the works? It would be great to have a couple that we can all depend on. What do you think? Are others interested? -- Joseph D. Place ATARI FalconCT60, 1040STE, STacy4, Portfolio, 130XE, 400. -- Joseph D. Place ATARI FalconCT60, 1040STE, STacy4, Portfolio, 130XE, 400. -- Joseph D. Place ATARI FalconCT60, 1040STE, STacy4, Portfolio, 130XE, 400. ...

Atari BBS #3
I got all the gear together to telnet with my 130XE to the Atari bulletin boards I had been reading about, and now most if not all seem to be taken down. I know "YOU" is setting one up. Does any one else have one in the works? It would be great to have a couple that we can all depend on. What do you think? Are others interested? -- Joseph D. Place ATARI FalconCT60, 1040STE, STacy4, Portfolio, 130XE, 400. -- Joseph D. Place ATARI FalconCT60, 1040STE, STacy4, Portfolio, 130XE, 400. -- Joseph D. Place ATARI FalconCT60, 1040STE, STacy4, Portfolio, 130XE, 400. -...

Holme's Atari CDs
Just wanted to put up a reminder that I have a copy of the Holme's Atari CDs and make them available to anyone that wants a copy. Ever since I got a new CD burner that is more efficient and faster, I believe I dropped the price down to $10. That includes shipping, the CDs, handling, packaging, etc. etc. On the CDs is lots and lots and lots of old Atari games and programs that are simply not available anymore. Of course, I get filthy rich off of these CDs, selling them for $10. Already, I am into buying my third home off in some Caribbean Island with the revenue that I have m...

My Atari BBS is now online
I am working on a bbs for Atari users. If you have a telnet client, you can access my bbs at the following url: 24.57.167.178 port 23. This system is still a work in progress and there's not a whole lot available yet. If you would like to login and follow my progress, you can do so with the following username & password: username: guest password: guest Be sure to leave any suggestions and/or ideas, as this is the best time to do so; the bbs is still in the construction phase. I'm working on adding the following: - Usenet newsgroups - File downloads -...

Atari ST telnet BBS!
The Grove Online has risen from the ashes of the early 1990s and been reborn in emulation. It's the first-ever telnettable Atari ST BBS. Some of you may have heard about it... It's been in operation a couple years now. It still boggles my mind that this is POSSIBLE! The Grove Online runs BBS Express! software and has tons of games available, including Assassin, Galactic Empire, Final Frontier, and many more. telnet://shadow.skeleton.org --Josh On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:50:23 -0500, Josh Renaud wrote: > The Grove Online has risen from the ashes of the early 1990s and been rebor...

BBS THE ATARI INSIDE IMPROVED
Hi folks! It has been a few weeks, since I wrote about my BBS. There are some improvements. The BBS is running stand-alone now on my 800xl. No PC is needed anymore! I have connected a LANTRONIX MSS-100 to my BlackBox and that works fine (after many hours of hacking the bbs... but ok) (!) When someone is on the BBS, your telnet client can't resolve the adress. I'm sorry for that. When nothing crashes the bbs will never be down, so when you can't get a connection, please try later... There are two adresses with different possibilities: telnet://213.10.217.144:8888...

Easy Atari BBS List
FamilyNet International Newsgate For all you newbies to BBS'ing, we have an easy BBs list that contains all the current Atari BBS's in one simple directory. Brief instructions: -telnet//pb.darktech.org -get to the main menu (enter... enter.. enter..) -X for internet menu -A for Atari menu At this point, select an Atari BBS! many of these Atari BBS's are run on real Atari 8-bit and ST Computers! just added, Marius' BBS (option 10) just added this week! Hope to see you on the BBS's! Doc Clu FamilyNet <> Internet Gated Mail http...

atari inside bbs online
If you want to check the bbs... give it a try. The bbs can only accept one connection at a time, so if someone is online (or when I'm testing) it is not reachable. In the future it might be a 2 line bbs, but that's not sure. Some screens has to be translated Some info is not update (the bbs says it's only online between 0:00-08:00 cet... but that's not true... the board is reachable 24h/7days a week now) just give it a try. It's free. telnet://213.10.217.144:8888 There are bugs (in time, and the download is not working grrrrr... but i'm working on ...

My Atari BBS Is Finally Online
I finally have my bbs online. I'm just in the process of setting it up and it has almost nothing available on it yet. If you want to check it out, the url is: 24.57.167.178 and it's port 23. So just Telnet on over to 24.57.167.178 and check it out. I'm working on adding a huge Atari file archive and a bunch of Atari specific message bases. I'm also working on making the Atari newsgroups available, once I figure it out. The system is plain jane right now but that will change over the next couple of days. I'm setting up a chat section too. It's ac...

BBS Atari Inside... interesting?
Hi Folks. It has been a long time ago, but I have run on the atari 8bit the BBS "BBS THE ATARI INSIDE"... it was a PRO BOARD (BBS PRO 5.0b) node X_476 I am thinking of putting it back online, reachable via telnet (internet). If no one is interested, I'm not going to do all that work, and I'm not going to invest any money in electricity bills etc. But if there are really people interested in having this BBS back online, please let me know! If there are 5 people or more interested, I'm putting it online in a few weeks. Greetz, Marius Hello Marius, ...

Atari Joystick to Apple II's "Atari Joyport" converter
Late September 2008 I asked some questions on the topic: Atari Joysticks on Apple II using "Atari Joyport" Thanks for all the help. It got me going in the right direction. Now that I have completed it you can see the Atari Joystick to Apple II's "Atari Joyport" converter here in my blog: http://lukazi.blogspot.com/2009/04/game-controller-atari-joysticks.html The way in which the Joyport works it sets PB0, PB1 and PB2 to the on state when the joystick is not in use. Since PB0 and PB1 are tied to the Open-Apple and Closed-Apple keys this causes a problem during reboot ...

Web resources about - ATARI BBS GATEWAY (links to all Atari BBS's on one BBS!) - comp.sys.atari.8bit