How to use DOS

Hi there,

I'm running DOS 2.5 on an emulator and I have a disk image with a bunch
of games on it.  When I do 'A return return, I see all the names of the
games, but then when I type 'L' and it asks for the name and I type
SHAMUS or SHAMUS.BIN or even SHAM* I get an error 164.  What is that?

Thanks

0
ruby
9/30/2005 10:47:27 PM
comp.sys.atari.8bit 3450 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

"ruby" <garyrubinstein@MUNGEahoo.com> wrote in message > Hi there,

> I'm running DOS 2.5 on an emulator and I have a disk image with a bunch
> of games on it.  When I do 'A return return, I see all the names of the
> games, but then when I type 'L' and it asks for the name and I type
> SHAMUS or SHAMUS.BIN or even SHAM* I get an error 164.  What is that?
>
> Thanks
I find 'File number mis-match' for 164.  Could be
the ATR is corrupted.  Seems like you have to say...  D:SHAMUS.BIN or
D1:SHAMUS.BIN
I'm not sure.

0
russg
9/30/2005 11:18:23 PM
Neither of those seems to work either.  I notice that the names when I
view the directory seem pretty long, things like FLIPANDFLOP.  Are
those names too long for 2.5?  I'm using Atari800Win 800 OSB.  Should I
be emulating on a newer model?

0
ruby
10/1/2005 2:51:47 AM
Now I think the problem is that I'm using a big .ATR file (its not the
standard 720 sectors)  Might I need a better DOS?  Where can I get one?

0
ruby
10/1/2005 3:14:47 AM
Sounds like you need to use MyDOS or SpartaDOS

Thomas

"ruby" <garyrubinstein@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Now I think the problem is that I'm using a big .ATR file (its not the
> standard 720 sectors)  Might I need a better DOS?  Where can I get one?

0
Docrotcod
10/1/2005 4:43:09 AM
"ruby" <garyrubinstein@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Now I think the problem is that I'm using a big .ATR file (its not the
> standard 720 sectors)  Might I need a better DOS?  Where can I get one?

In my experience, almost all games on ATRs are configured as a SS/SD dos
2.0/810 drive (719 sectors, with 707 usable), or as a dos SS/ED dos 2.5/1050
drive (1023 sectors with 1010 usable).

So if your using DOS 2.5, you should be fine, but if not...

http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/mathy.van_nisselroy/mydos.htm (appears to be
down at the moment. I hope it's just temporary.)

https://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Services/PDA/mydos453.dcm Dunno which emulator
you're using, but you might be able to use dcm images with it. If not,
you'll need to convert it to an ATR. Here's one of Mr. Tucker's utilities to
do just that: http://www.atarimax.com/imagic/download/imagic95.zip

ftp://ftp.atari.art.pl/stuff/mirror/homepages.paradise.net.nz/atari/atari/atr/apps/Mydos%204.53.zip
(thanks to XLSearch & Bill Kendrick!)

Also, if you download APE from www.atarimax.com it comes with several ATRs
and at least one ATR of MyDOS 4.53 and SpartaDos.

MyDOS is so very close to DOS 2.0 & 2.5 that you should just be able to fire
it up and run. If you need to know anything else, check out Mathy's page
above, when it comes back up.

Good luck with that.
--
David Bowden
The Undead Mechanic.

AIM & Yahoo: UndeadMechanic

SPAM PROOF EMAIL ADDRESS: same as yahoo/AIM *AT* comcast *DOT* net

0
David
10/1/2005 5:27:58 AM
"ruby" <garyrubinstein@MUNGEyahoo.com> wrote in message news:> Neither of
those seems to work either.  I notice that the names when I
> view the directory seem pretty long, things like FLIPANDFLOP.  Are
> those names too long for 2.5?  I'm using Atari800Win 800 OSB.  Should I
> be emulating on a newer model?
Ahh, Yes.  DOS 2.5 can't do a large ATR. You need
SpartaDOS, maybe MyDOS, or a boot loader image.
FLIPANDFLOP is legal, it is 8+3, you just don't see
the FLIPANDF.LOP the period.  I don't think any DOS
does more than 8+3.  Many game files can't load from DOS,
therefore, you need a menu or boot loader image.

0
Russg
10/1/2005 1:59:07 PM
ruby <garyrubinstein@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Neither of those seems to work either.  I notice that the names when I
> view the directory seem pretty long, things like FLIPANDFLOP.

Nah, they just named the file "FLIPANDF.LOP"

--
-bill!
bill@newbreedsoftware.com

0
ruby

How to load a game using atari 8bit emulator
Ok..I found an emulator called xformer 8. when I start it up and select atari 800 DOS..I get a ready prompt on the screen. How do I load my game file, which is a CAS format. What command do i need to give at the ready prompt to load the file? "Dan Shyan" <> wrote in message news: > Ok..I found an emulator called xformer 8. when I start it up and select > atari 800 DOS..I get a ready prompt on the screen. > > How do I load my game file, which is a CAS format. What command do i need to > give at the ready prompt to load the file? Probably Xformer 8 won't load CAS files, I think. You need Atari800WinPlus, will load CAS files. The fact you get the READY prompt means you're booting with BASIC, which you don't want to do for most CAS files. There is another recent post here that states how to load CAS files in A800WPlus. To boot without BASIC, you need to hold OPTION on a real computer at power on, but for Xformer, you need to turn off BASIC toolbar Options. This is no help w/ the CAS file load, but the Ready prompt attempting DOS access might indicate that you did not boot the system w/ a DOS disk image in drive 1. -Jess "Dan Shyan" <danshyan@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:cL11k.735$gc5.406@pd7urf2no... > Ok..I found an emulator called xformer 8. when I start it up and select > atari 800 DOS..I get a ready prompt on the screen. > > How do I load my game fi...

Anyone near southern oregon (medford) Using Atari 8bit
I have 2 local friends, and 1 other person in the area, anyone else Still using There 8bit system ? ...

Advice?
Hi, I've been trying to use an Atari 800XL system, with 850 interface, and one of (1020 or 1025) as a printer, as a "print server". It seems if I send "long lines" however, I lose characters, and get "garbage". I'm wondering if anyone else has done this, and/or knows where source code exists. I wrote a small LINUX program, to open a text file, and echo 1 line at a time, sleeping 10 seconds in between lines. It echos the line to the serial port on the PC ( /dev/ttyS0 ). On the Atari 800XL, I open the "R1:" port, get characters...

Anyone near southern oregon (medford) Using Atari 8bit #2
> From: deadfiber <deadfiber@gmail.com> >I have 2 local friends, and 1 other person in the area, anyone else Still usin > There 8bit system ? Hey you have a modern day Atari user group! :) Congratulations. I used to have an Atari user like 15 minutes away, and that was cool. These days our Atari community is vast, but rather than being in one city, we span the most remote parts of the globe. Doc Clu --- BBBS/NT v4.01 Flag-5 * Origin: FamilyNet Sponsored by http://www.christian-wellness.net (8:8/2) Greg.Goodwin@familynet-international.net wrote: > > From: deadfiber <deadfiber@gmail.com> > > >I have 2 local friends, and 1 other person in the area, anyone else Still usin > > There 8bit system ? > > Hey you have a modern day Atari user group! :) Congratulations. > > I used to have an Atari user like 15 minutes away, and that was cool. These > days our Atari community is vast, but rather than being in one city, we span > the most remote parts of the globe. Is there a frappr map of Atari users? I didn't see one with a quick search. -- Ryan 'Gozar' Collins On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 15:22:32 +0000, gozarcollins wrote: > Is there a frappr map of Atari users? I didn't see one with a quick search. There was - I've not checked it in a long time and when I did just now, I got a page not found error, with an additional note that the Atari-users map module ...

looking for omnimon and ultimon images for use with atari 8bit emu's
I am looking for properly functioning images for the following Omnimon-xl/e version(david young/CDY cons.) Ultimon xl/xe(John Lawson -UK), also Latest version of mydos with ramdisk and superdos 5.1 I want to try and get these images to work with atari800win+ (latest beta) I have having problems with my present omnimon image, it wont allow me to use dos and a separate ATR image and the game Atr image, as it crashes/locks up after the second time you enter dos (also you have to keep on holding down option... annoying) Alternatively if anyone has an image of Qmeg, Speedy o/s or ...

Using using
I want to plot column 2 against col. 1, but subtract a constant from col. 2. I tried, in a test script, plot 'test.dat' using 1:($2 + 1) w p pt 7 but gnuplot complains Warning: empty y range [1:1], adjusting to [0.99:1.01] although the data file contains 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 What am I doing wrong? I read this in the manual: plot 'file' using 1:($2+$3) "%1f,%1f,%1f" which led me to use the above. I assume the format stuff is not needed. If I am doing this wrong, how do I modify a given column to be plotted arithmetically? -- Dieter...

when to use ; and when to use ,
Any statements like printf("abc"); scanf("%d",&x); a=20; can be replaced by printf("abc"), scanf("%d",&x), a=20; So when should we use ; and when sould we use , In article <1181971596.941107.318810@o11g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, Ravi <ra.ravi.rav@gmail.com> wrote: >Any statements like > printf("abc"); > scanf("%d",&x); > a=20; >can be replaced by > printf("abc"), scanf("%d",&x), a=20; > >So when should we use ; and when sould we use , Use ; when you want ...

Is DOS used by anyone professionally anymore and are there any DOS jobs to be found ?
*** post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeed.com *** Do any companies use standalone DOS (PC DOS or MS DOS) professionally for anything besides Symantec (PC DOS in Norton Ghost) ? Is DOS used in embedded PCs or any similar devices (PC/104 or ITX) ? More to the point, are there any DOS jobs to found in the U.S. ? -----= Posted via Newsfeed.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeed.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =----- Richard Steiner <rsteiner@visi.com> ...

Forcing NT to use RAM for PAGEFILE.SYS using RAMDISK ??
The above was the subject of a pretty long thread in this group, back in 1997. http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc/browse_frm/thread/5b3260f345a97644/9b784761a66f1d69#9b784761a66f1d69 Sad to see that today with WindowsXP the situation hasn't improved. I have 2GB of RAM in my laptop, and TaskInfo shows that 1.4GB is free, but I still see periodic page-out activity on my disk, with only 130MB being used by the filesystem cache. I've enabled LargeSystemCache and various other registry tweaks to tell Windows to cache as much as possible, but it's still i...

when to use == and when to use is
I know this question has been answered: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6570371/when-to-use-and-when-to-use-is , but I still have doubts. Consider the following code: class A: def __init__(self, a): self._a = a #def __eq__(self, other): # return self._a != other._a obj_0 = A(0) obj_1 = A(1) obj_2 = A(2) obj = obj_1 if obj == obj_0: print(0) elif obj == obj_1: print(1) elif obj == obj_2: print(2) if obj is obj_0: print(0) elif obj is obj_1: print(1) elif obj is obj_2: print(2) Both if statements wo...

Atari Joysticks on Apple II using "Atari Joyport"
I want to add Atari Joysticks to my IIGS. I want to do it using the method that uses push button and annunciator signal lines ie "Atari Joyport" option on some Apple II games. Sirius Joyport does it this way. I don't want to use the method that emulates the potentiometer signals ie the way the Wico adapters work. Does anyone have the schematics for the Sirius Joyport or description of how it uses the annunciator lines to effectively read the five digital joystick signals? Best info I can find is in www.atarimagazines.com/cva/v1n1/joysticks.php. It gives a description but I am af...

playing a wav using c++ in dos using soundcard (audio newbie)
I'm looking for a way to play a wav file through a program i'm writing under dos? any examples or code that i could be pointed towards playing a wav using c++ in dos (audio newbie) Thanks for any advice/help Ryan Kremser wrote: > I'm looking for a way to play a wav file through a program i'm writing under > dos? any examples or code that i could be pointed towards > playing a wav using c++ in dos (audio newbie) Thanks for any advice/help > You could have a look at Allegro, for 32-bit compilers (DJGPP, Watcom). If you feel lucky, you could...

A DOS application which uses the windows dos box returns status 3019.
Receving error as noted in Subject. Running environment is as noted in knowledgbase response. Performed recommendation as noted from Pervasive knowledgbase. The error stopped for the remainder of the day, but has reappeared the next day. This is a recent problem, application code has been operational for months w/o any recent modifications. Pervasive service pack have been install.ed Other recommendations appreciated. >From Pervasive Knowledgebase Solution Details Solution ID: 00016559 A DOS application which uses the windows dos box returns status 3019. Problem Description: A DO...

Outsmarting DOS C compiler to print to USB printer -- use DOS interrupt?
I have a Borland Turbo C++ compiler (though I never use the "plus-plus" part), copyright 1990. I use this compiler to write simple programs, one of which I am quite dependent on. A month ago, my parallel-port-output printer died, and I got a Samsung printer that takes info from the USB port. Every time I go into DOS mode and try to send something to that printer, whether from a command line ("dir>prn"), or from one of my programs, I get an error message. It occured to me that if I called an interrupt from my DOS program, that's how I could send characters to my USB...

how to build plain-dos EXE using Borland C++ 3.1 which uses WINAPI
Please help me. I need to use some of Windows API, but my program must be also runnable from plain dos. I can not simply switch target to Win app. :( Question: how link program witch <windows.h> included, but with plain DOS startup code? My program should detect if is running under windows and then use some of API calls. -- pozdrawiam / best regards B.a.z.i.c * a.t * b.a.z.i.c * d.o.t * p.l "Przemys�aw Dmochowski" <bazic@bazic.not.exist.pl> wrote in message news:btueaj$dj$1@nemesis.news.tpi.pl... > Please help me. > > I need to use some of Windows API...

Using where; Using index vs Using where
Hello, What are the difference between the following statements, which one is better? mysql> desc SELECT COUNT(*) as `cnt` FROM vote WHERE `ip` = INET_ATON('127.0.0.1') AND (`addtime` > NOW() - INTERVAL 1 DAY) ; +----+-------------+-------+-------+---------------+--------------- +---------+------+------+--------------------------+ | id | select_type | table | type | possible_keys | key | key_len | ref | rows | Extra | +----+-------------+-------+-------+---------------+--------------- +---------+------+------+--------------------------+ | 1 | S...

high sys cpu on cpu# based on mpstat, but if using prstat -Lm -P 7, little cpu is used
The following prstat show little cpu is used on CPU 7# test$> prstat -Lm -P 7 PID USERNAME USR SYS TRP TFL DFL LCK SLP LAT VCX ICX SCL SIG PROCESS/LWPID 4020 oracle 6.0 1.3 0.0 0.0 0.0 2.4 90 0.2 2K 33 18K 0 mysqld/ 9 417 root 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 100 0.0 12 0 60 6 in.mpathd/1 4020 oracle 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 100 0.0 6 0 55 0 mysqld/ 1 1022 root 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 100 0.0 0 0 0 0 lcfd/1 843 root 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0 0 fmd/18 879 root 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0 0 syslogd/52...

8bit TelBBS for Atari?
Guys, Several members of the (comp.sys.cbm) group have gotten together to connect their 8bit machines to their broadband connection using homebrew interfaces. The end result of having original BBS programs connected to the Internet. Being able to dial from an 8bit machine and connect to an 8bit machine has been acomplished. I've been keeping a website record of these activities, (http://www.petscii.com) but since I actually owned/loved several 8bit computers over the years, I thought I'd expand the website to include other machines doing the same thing. I'm not ...

DOS using C
Can anyone here please tell me how the system function is used to execute DOS commands? enjoywithneha@yahoo.com said: > Can anyone here please tell me how the system function is used to > execute DOS commands? See comp.os.msdos.programmer for DOS-specific information, but the system() part of your question is topical here. Let us assume you have some system-specific command, FOO, which you wish to execute with arguments bar and baz. Here is one simple way to do it: #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h> int chomp(char *s) { char *p = NULL;...

Using sys.executable
Following Elliot's advice, I changed my scripts to use sys.executable instead of hardcoding the path. Also in SVN. # in run_tests.py import os, sys os.putenv('PYTHON', sys.executable) # in shell scripts $PYTHON alltests.py -- Seo Sanghyeon ...

using Atari Basic
I am running an emulator and I'd like to throw together a quick little basic program. I remember most of the commands but there's one thing I have a question about. How do I save my program while running it thru Xformer or Atari800Win?? Thanks "Paul" <ottertype@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Xns97BC76E33F821sanza@207.217.125.201... >I am running an emulator and I'd like to throw together a quick little > basic program. I remember most of the commands but there's one thing I > have a question about. How do I save my program while running it thru > Xformer or Atari800Win?? > > Thanks Assuming you have a version of DOS on an ATR loaded... The command(s) would be as follows. Untokenized (bloated, plain text) save file: LIST"D:FILENAME.EXT" Tokenized (considerably smaller): SAVE"D:FILENAME.EXT" To load an untokenized file: ENTER"D: etc. etc... For tokenized files: LOAD blah blah blah... -- David Bowden The Undead Mechanic. AIM & Yahoo: UndeadMechanic Lame ass website: http://david.taylor-madeak.org SPAM PROOF EMAIL ADDRESS: same as yahoo/AIM *AT* comcast *DOT* net Paul, You will need to create and format a disk image in another virtual drive. SAVE "Dx:FILENAME.BAS" where x is the drive number where the new image is located and FILENAME.BAS is the name you wish to call it. Rory Hi, > I am running an emulator a...

Atari 8bit
Atari XF351 disk drive is never released. I wonder if the 8bit computer can communicate with the SF drive? because both 8bit and SF have the serial port. So is it possible? Need the communication adapter? like Atarimax's serial interface for APE. Thanks! Jack ...

How to use sys.stdout
what does it have properties ? what does it have method ? how to use they ? or where can find any information please help me On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 15:24:31 +0800, Leon <square690410@yahoo.com.tw> wrote: > what does it have properties ? > what does it have method ? > how to use they ? or where can find any information sys.stdout is a writable file object. See <http://docs.python.org/lib/bltin-file-objects.html> for a file object's methods. -- Cheers, Simon B, simon.brunning@gmail.com, http://www.brunningonline.net/simon/blog/ "Leon" <square690410@yaho...

using bjc2000 under dos
i picked up a used bjc-2000 printer at a thrift store today to give to a needy family. their computer runs only dos 6.22 and the printer doesn't seem to work with it. is there another printer setting i could select that would allow it to work. for example, if i select citzen 120d, a commodore mps1250 will work as they use the same codes. i'm looking for a similar code setup for the bjc-2000 to run under dos. thanks in advance. On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 05:05:38 +0000 (UTC), paco@mexico.born wrote: >i picked up a used bjc-2000 printer at a thrift store today to give to a >...

Web resources about - How to use DOS - comp.sys.atari.8bit

After South Carolina, GOP race becomes Trump's to lose
SPARTANBURG, S.C. (AP) — Yes, Donald Trump could really be the Republican nominee.

At least 7 people killed in random Michigan shootings: police
KALAMAZOO, Mich. — A gunman drove around a western Michigan city randomly shooting people in the parking lots of a restaurant, car dealership ...

David Cameron's disingenuous 'EU deal' examined by PETER HITCHENS
David Cameron is now paying the price for making a promise he thought he wouldn’t have to keep in order to win a majority in May, at a time when ...

Why did Apple 'let China see its secret data for security checks' but won't unlock San Bernardino terrorist's ...
Daily Mail Why did Apple 'let China see its secret data for security checks' but won't unlock San Bernardino terrorist's iPhone? Daily Mail ...

“A simple parish funeral Mass”
The late Justice Antonin Scalia was given a “simple parish funeral Mass,” as two priests described his services Saturday before some 3,300 people ...

‘Deadpool’s Ryan Reynolds Joins #TeamHelloKitty In ‘Civil War’ Tweetfest
Ryan Reynolds has become just as synonymous with his Deadpool alter ego as his fellow comic book movie stars Robert Downey, Jr. (Tony Stark/Iron ...

Fiji cyclone leaves trail of destruction, five dead
Reuters Fiji cyclone leaves trail of destruction, five dead Reuters SYDNEY Fiji was assessing the damage on Sunday after one of the most powerful ...

Two CRPF men killed in J&K strike, Pampore encounter continues
Militants attacked CRPF jawans on the national highway in the evening and then took refuge inside the neighboring EDI building in which two jawans ...

Harper Lee buried in Alabama hometown
USA TODAY Harper Lee buried in Alabama hometown USA TODAY MONROEVILLE, Ala. — The author of the America classic To Kill a Mockingbird was ...

Samsung Galaxy S7, Samsung Galaxy S7 edge to launch with less bloatware
Those unhappy with the amount of bloatware found on previous versions of Samsung's flagship phones, will be happy to hear that less bloatware ...