What to do with 130XE and tape drive? (totally noob question)

Hello,

I just happened to stumble across an unused 130XE with tape drive, but
no disk and no manuals. Never used any Atari 8-bits before but I do know
my way around with several other 8-bit systems (which shall remain
nameless lest another flame ware erupt).

There were a few tapes included and I figured out how to load them with
the help of the Atari 8-bit FAQ. But how do I get any more software onto
it? Are there archives of tape-based Atari games? What file formats are
used for tape images?

All the info in the FAQ about getting software onto the Atari seems to
require a modified 1050 drive and a 5.25" floppy drive on the PC, if I
understood it correctly. Is there some other way, like building a cable
from a PC parallel port to the SIO port or whatever?

Thanks,
--
Linards Ticmanis
0

Connect your Atari to a PC (also with Vista) using SIO2PC USB version and
you will be able to do *everything* with your 130XE.
http://www.atarimax.com/sio2pc/documentation/

0
Philsan
11/28/2007 11:16:09 AM
Linards Ticmanis wrote:
> Hello,
<snip>
> understood it correctly. Is there some other way, like building a cable
> from a PC parallel port to the SIO port or whatever?

What Philsan said but with a little more info about the lower end. Even
the simple non-USB cables will provide you with all the functionality
you would probably need. There's two sets of software people use, either
SIO2PC for MS DOS based computers or APE for Windows.

The simple SIO2PC cables simulate an Atari disk drive on the MS/clone
box. You just download Atari programs or disk images off the internet to
your clone and they load and run with the software just like your clone
is an Atari 1050 drive. It is actually much better then that since your
clone can simulate multiple drives and hot swap disks on the fly.

The more sophisticated cables can also drive a 1050 type Atari drive
from a PC. This is useful for making backup copies of protected software
you may own. Since if I read this right, you don't have any disk based
software, you don't need this capability.

The ~$25 for a cable is pretty reasonable IMHO but if you want to get
away even cheaper you can build your own cable for ~$5. There are
several sites on the web that have plans. Most people default to the
1489/14C89 one chip type designs.

Rick

> Thanks,
0
Rick
11/28/2007 4:02:37 PM
Right, getting a PC-SIO(Atari port) cable is the
way to go.  Then you can load disk images from
the PC.  You mention a PC<->Atari parallel port
cable.  Those aren't made.  However, if you have
a parallel port, you probably also have a serial port.
Today, many PCs don't have a serial port, so a Atari<->PC USB cable and
software is available.
www.atarimax.com  is a place to get such software and equipment.  Good Luck
and welcome to Atari.

0
Russg
11/28/2007 8:19:58 PM
Another vote here for the SIO2PC.

Hands down one of the coolest things to ever grace the a8 scene.....

(yoomp isn't too far behind ! )

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 12:16:09 +0100, "Philsan"
<XXfilsanXX@XXtiscali.itXX> wrote:

>Connect your Atari to a PC (also with Vista) using SIO2PC USB version and
>you will be able to do *everything* with your 130XE.
>http://www.atarimax.com/sio2pc/documentation/

0
Zero
11/29/2007 1:34:30 AM
On Nov 28, 8:34 pm, Zero dB <n...@email.com> wrote:
> Another vote here for the SIO2PC.
>
> Hands down one of the coolest things to ever grace the a8 scene.....
>
> (yoomp isn't too far behind ! )
>
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 12:16:09 +0100, "Philsan"
>
> <XXfilsa...@XXtiscali.itXX> wrote:
> >Connect your Atari to a PC (also with Vista) using SIO2PC USB version and
> >you will be able to do *everything* with your 130XE.
> >http://www.atarimax.com/sio2pc/documentation/

No! he should put in his dues and suffer with the tapes like we did
back in the day!
0
micrologix1500
11/29/2007 3:05:52 AM
Rick Cortese <ricortes@earthlink.net> wrote:
> What Philsan said but with a little more info about the lower end. Even
> the simple non-USB cables will provide you with all the functionality
> you would probably need. There's two sets of software people use, either
> SIO2PC for MS DOS based computers or APE for Windows.

And AtariSIO for Linux (though it needed a slight tweak to compile on the
latest 2.6 kernel on my Kubuntu 7.10 system).

I have Steven Tucker's AtariMax SIO2PC device, and it's great!

--
-bill!
bill@newbreedsoftware.com

> You mention a PC<->Atari parallel port
> cable.  Those aren't made.

Not quite true - they are homemade ;P, but SIO2PC
is better, altough little more complicated to build
as it has more elements than just few wires :)
plus with SIO2LPT CPU has to work harder as all
transmission stuff is done by PC, not by serial device.
Anyway SIO2LPT hardware is cheap&simple :P.

--
Sc0rpi0

0
Sc0rpi0
12/1/2007 1:35:42 AM
"Sc0rpi0" <sc0rpi0@free.polbox.pl> wrote in message
> Russg:
>
>> You mention a PC<->Atari parallel port
>> cable.  Those aren't made.
>
> Not quite true - they are homemade ;P, but SIO2PC
> is better, altough little more complicated to build
> as it has more elements than just few wires :)
> plus with SIO2LPT CPU has to work harder as all
> transmission stuff is done by PC, not by serial device.
> Anyway SIO2LPT hardware is cheap&simple :P.
>

> --
> Sc0rpi0
OK, yes, there are probably some SIO2LPT
schematics somewhere, maybe Poland.
But, I believe the APE/PRO SIO2PC serial
and USB are the most comman/available.
And I gave a link.  Some vendors may also have
interfaces, I just don't know them off the top.
Hmm...  I think the OP is from the UK, so
there are probably more local sources for
interfaces.

0
Russg
12/1/2007 3:41:44 AM
..
> Hmm...  I think the OP is from the UK, so
> there are probably more local sources for
> interfaces.
Ooops, From Deutchland, sorry.  Certainly
there are German sources for interfaces.
Maybe try ABBUC website. Or Polish sources,
I know there are a few good ones.
So, tell us the Polish and German sources.
And, the OP didn't seem to be adventurous,
or the schematic for a 1486 chip one is easy to make if one has the cables.

0
Russg
12/1/2007 3:46:09 AM

> No! he should put in his dues and suffer with the tapes like we did
> back in the day!

Absolutely!

I remember my first Atari's (yep I had more than one at the time).  A 600xl,
800xl, and XEGS.  2 Tape drives to use with em.  Loved it!  Getting my first
1050 was ecstatic!

Learn from the beginning and enjoy yourself!  The old atari days were great!
There's still lots of resources and reading material out there to help you.

Just remember to have fun and you'll really enjoy the 8bit :)

0
Lokanetra
12/1/2007 7:03:51 AM
Lokanetra wrote:

>> No! he should put in his dues and suffer with the tapes like we did
>> back in the day!
>
> Absolutely!

I would, if there is a tape image archive in existence. I found a few
links to some Russian site (atari.da.ru) but it's dead. Is there a
surviving mirror of that site, or are there other tape image sites?

Also, I would like to say a belated "thank you" to all who answered.
I'll probably get or build a SIO2PC when I get around to it (not before
Christmas).

I wonder, is that special plug for the Atari SIO sockets still in
production? Or would you have to find and buy a a used disk I/O cable,
if not a whole disk drive? I don't really want to cut apart the cassette
thing. What's the name of this plug anyway?

Regards,
--
Linards Ticmanis
0
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 14:04:08 +0100, Linards Ticmanis wrote:
> I would, if there is a tape image archive in existence. I found a few
> links to some Russian site (atari.da.ru) but it's dead. Is there a
> surviving mirror of that site, or are there other tape image sites?

Have a look at ftp://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/stryker/cas
there are several cas images available (I'm currently working
on cas support for AtariSIO).

> I wonder, is that special plug for the Atari SIO sockets still in
> production? Or would you have to find and buy a a used disk I/O cable,
> if not a whole disk drive? I don't really want to cut apart the cassette
> thing. What's the name of this plug anyway?

These plugs have become very rare. You either have to butcher an IO
cable or you can also build a plug by yourself:

Get a female DB-9 connector (you only need 5 pins for SIO2PC), take
it apart and just use the pins (they fit nicely onto the male SIO
connector of the Atari).

Then solder wires to the single pins, plug them onto the SIO connector
of the Atari, put a small piece of PCB (without copper) between the
upper and lower row of the pins and glue it all together. Voila,
a homemade SIO plug :-)

You can also build the whole SIO2PC interface plus the SIO connector
on a small strip of PCB with just the width of the SIO plug and
then either solder a serial cable or a DB9 connector to the PCB
so you've all got in a small, single piece.

so long,

Hias
0
Matthias
12/1/2007 2:00:03 PM
> I wonder, is that special plug for the Atari SIO sockets still in
> production? Or would you have to find and buy a a used disk I/O cable,
> if not a whole disk drive? I don't really want to cut apart the cassette
> thing. What's the name of this plug anyway?
Here
http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/
http://www.myatari.com/
you can buy complete SIO cables.
0
Philsan
12/1/2007 2:07:19 PM
Russg:

> OK, yes, there are probably some SIO2LPT
> schematics somewhere, maybe Poland.

In fact - I haven't seen any ;). That's why I wrote "homemade"
and unfortunately there is no any standard for it like
for RS-232 transmission or cable pin connections so software
like APE is problem too ;). I've made one from scratch for myself
for fun because I had couple of DB25 plugs and had no any MAX chips,
but soft is in really really alpha stage ;P altough it works
quite fine for now.

> But, I believe the APE/PRO SIO2PC serial
> and USB are the most comman/available.

I think so, too.

> And I gave a link.

Heh, cool. I just wrote that an option to SIO2PC exists, but
it's only advantage currently is simple construction for
home making and it's dangerous as always using LPT and atari
SIO ports directly. That is just my blah blah talking (writing).
For someone who wants just interface and soft for Atari-PC connection
I suggest SIO2PC+APE too - it's easier & more safe that way :).

--
Sc0rpi0

0
Sc0rpi0
12/1/2007 2:10:39 PM
Matthias Reichl:

> These plugs have become very rare. You either have to butcher an IO
> cable or you can also build a plug by yourself

Another solution is to destroy :) but reuse XC-12 or another media
cable and DB plugs - I prefer DB25 using 13 upper (1-13) pins of it.
Atari SIO port has 13 pins and if you want it compatible for future
(don't know which pins some future device will need) you better
connect all of them (even if not required) in this fashion:

[XC-12]---------SIOplug
          ^cut here

redo 2 cables for example that way:

[XC-12]----DB25-female-plug
(wires at apropriate pin NUMBERS as earlier in SIOplug)
DB25-male-plug-------SIOplug
(straight DB pins 1-13 (upper row) to SIO pins 1-13 connection)

This way your XC-12 is still working fine after connecting
male&female DB25's and you have an short DB25toSIOplug cable
and may stop worrying about ATARI SIO plugs accesibility
(DB25 plugs are much more popular and easier to get).
Then you can use it for many other devices/connections
(ANYTHINGtoDB25-female cable) assuming pins on the Atari
side are correctly assigned (line-in,line-out,+5V,ground etc.),
anything device requires.

--
Sc0rpi0

0
Sc0rpi0
12/1/2007 3:06:08 PM
Russg wrote:

> "Sc0rpi0" <sc0rpi0@free.polbox.pl> wrote in message
>
>>Russg:
>>

>>>You mention a PC<->Atari parallel port
>>>cable.  Those aren't made.
>>
>>Not quite true - they are homemade ;P, but SIO2PC
>>is better, altough little more complicated to build
>>as it has more elements than just few wires :)
>>plus with SIO2LPT CPU has to work harder as all
>>transmission stuff is done by PC, not by serial device.
>>Anyway SIO2LPT hardware is cheap&simple :P.
>>

>>--
>>Sc0rpi0
>
> OK, yes, there are probably some SIO2LPT
> schematics somewhere, maybe Poland.
> But, I believe the APE/PRO SIO2PC serial
> and USB are the most comman/available.
> And I gave a link.  Some vendors may also have
> interfaces, I just don't know them off the top.
> Hmm...  I think the OP is from the UK, so
> there are probably more local sources for
> interfaces.

Just FYI: I could have my point of origin wrong but I believe the first
SIO/LPT use and schematic came with the ST Xformer software. I think I
paid ~$25 or $35 for one from B&C Computer Visions. This was for hooking
a real 1050 drive to your ST and Xformer would access it just like a
real drive. Derek converted the software to MS DOS but I recall the
timing was difficult to impossible to set unless you were in a very
narrow range of PC speeds, something like a 16 mHz 386SX to 25 mHz 486.

Rick
0
Rick

question about tape drives
I've got a 12-year-old PC that has a tape drive that I use for backups. I need to replace that machine with a new PC (I think it's about to crater), but none of the new machines I've seen so far have tape drives anymore. I also looked on "newegg.com", and found a few tape drives, but they are much higher capacity than my existing one, and I don't know if they can read my backup tapes. My tape cartridges say "Travan 8GB (4GB uncompressed), for use in all Tranvan-4 drives". Any advice? Mike Fontenot Mike Fontenot wrote: > I've got a 12-year-old ...

Tape Drive question
Are there any HPC1503Bs floating about unused, unappreciated, and/or unwanted? * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

MY tape drive question
I am trying to backup my entire system to tape using tar (tar -cvf /dev/rmt/0 /). The system is in another building so I am ssh'd in to it. Whene the backup starts everything moves along well until it hits /xfn then the process hangs. I have tried to exclude the /xfn directory by using tar -cvf /dev/rmt/0 / -X '/xfn' . It doesn't work. I know my problem is syntax for the exclude option, but do you think I can find a good one? Help please. In article <3f68b91a$1@ericsson>, "Clarke Sheen" <csheen@storm.ca> wrote: > I am trying to backup my entire ...

tape drive question
Using 4.10-RELEASE FreeBSD, GENERIC From dmesg: sa0 at ahc1 bus 0 target 0 lun 0 sa0: <SONY SDX-400V 0101> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device sa0: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 15, 16bit) Comands such as this: tar Mcvf /dev/sa0 * Produce: tar: /dev/sa0: Cannot open: Device not configured tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now Obviously I'm not doing something right. Comments anyone? In article <DZf5d.1702$Fg2.588258@newshog.newsread.com>, FanJet27 @hotmail.com says... > Using 4.10-RELEASE FreeBSD, GENERIC > > ...

Questions about tape drives
Using fbsd 5.2.1... I have a Certance CD72LWH-S and it is listed as shown below. I plan to use it with Amanda. I have read that it is best to turn off hardware compression and just let the software do the compression. To turn off compression I used "mt comp off". 1. Will this always stay off now or will it turn back on after a reboot? 2. When I specify the "raw" tape device to Amanda which device should I use? I thought that there should be something like nrsa0 but there isn't. 3. What do the .0-.3 numbers mean? lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel ...

Free (pay shipping): Atari 810 disk drive, 1010 tape drive, some manuals & some cassettes
Unclear what works, or if any of it doesn't work, but it's free if you pay shipping! I'd prefer to send it all as one big package, of course. * Atari 810 Disk Drive: * A/C * SIO * Blank(?) disk ("Atari Formatted Diskette II" :^) ) [in "Diskette Holder"] * Manuals: * "The Atari 810 Disk Drive: An Introduction to the Disk Operating System" * "The Atari 810 Disk Drive: Owner's Guide" * "Disk Operating System II: Reference Manual" * "Inside Atari DOS" [Bill Wilkinson, OSS, Inc.; Compute! 1982] * Atari 1010 Tape Drive: * A/C * SIO cable * Info sheet * Cassettes: "Andromeda Conquest" (Avalon Hill) [in box, with manual] "Cytron Masters" (SSI) [no manual] "Stellar Shuttle" (Broderbund) [no manual] 11 other tapes (various BASIC & bootable games) [in a 12-cassette case] Email me privately if interested! First-come, first-served! (Payment for shipping via PayPal is fine.) -- -bill! Sent from my computer Bill Kendrick <bill@newbreedsoftware.com> wrote: > Unclear what works, or if any of it doesn't work, but it's free if you > pay shipping! I'd prefer to send it all as one big package, of course. Oh, also, I'm still near Sacramento, CA, so if you want to come pick any of this up, that can be arranged. Thanks! -bill! ...

HELP! Total noob question!
Here is my problem: I need to have a conversion tool in my program to convert ounces into the correct number of gallons, quarts, pints, cups and ounces. How do I write the conversion code under CalcButton if my user input object is OuncesTextBox and my conversion will be displayed in objects TotalGallonsLabel, TotalQuartsLabel, TotalPintsLabel, TotalCupsLabel, and TotalOuncesLabel. This is my first attempt at writing a VB program from scratch, and am caught on this step. Thanks in advance for any help you can extend. On 29 Feb 2004 09:21:37 -0800, Herbst wrote: >H...

3581 tape drive question
I just installed a 3581 tape library and am a little confused on it's operation. I have a "Setup and Operator Guide GA32-0457-00" that tells me about the tape drive but doesn't tell me anything about the iSeries commands to operate it. Are there commands on the iSeries that let me load one of the 7 tapes and begin writing to it? Thanks, chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. Depends on what specific features you have. If you have barcode reader, then you leave the tape device varied off, and specify the media library device on save commands....

B132L Tape Drive Question
I have an old HP B132L with an HP 35480A SCSI 50 pin (Centronics), 4mm, DAT, DDS-1. I would like to add something like a Seagate 68000N_O SCSI 50 pin (small), 4mm, DAT, DDS-2? This would need a SCSI cable with different ends. Perhaps a different drive would be better to ensure reading with HP 10.20 Unix. I know the existing drive has the old 50 pin SCSI connector and I do understand that I would have to assign the new drive with a different SCSI (SE) address. My goal is to add a drive that can read DDS-2, 120m 4/8gb tapes. I have to recover data stored by a D330 to the tape using tar year...

Sony tape drive question
Not a specifically SCSI question, although the device happens to be SCSI. I an considering the purchase of a Sony TSL-S11000 autoloader tape drive Does anyone know whether the drive automatically steps through the cartridges in sequence? IOW, when one tape ejects because it is full, does the next one get loaded automatically? The online manual refers to an "Auto Load ON/OFF" setting, but describes only that setting's effect on the *first* tape in the magazine. -=- MB ...

Prime tape drive questions
I just acquired a new tape drive, and I've been trying to get it to work with my system. It's an IDT (Innovative Data Technology) 1054 nine track drive, and it seems to have a formatted Pertec interface. It's dual density, 800/1600. This is a very nice, simple drive - manual thread, compliance arm tensioning, etc. I want to hook it up in place of a Cipher autoloader (which, most of the time, has to be manually loaded anyway). The Prime is a 2755, and it does work well with the afforementioned Cipher/Prime drive. With the Cipher connected, and a scratch tape loaded, I can is...

Tape drive support question
Is an Ultrium model# C7401B LTO-1 model 230 is this supported on MPE-ix 7.5 using Turbo Store? The communicator indicates it is supported by some 3rd party software, but makes no reference to Turbo Store. Anyone know the answer to this? ***************************** Terry W. Simpkins Director ISIT Measurement Specialties 757-766-4278 terry.simpkins@msiusa.com ***************************** * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * Terry, IIRC you need a patch to support the driv...

DDS4 tape drive question
i have an Archive Python 06408-xxxx DDS4 Tape drive that came installed in a Dell PowerEdge server and I'm using ArcServe 2000 Advanced for my backup software. My question is what is the largest amount of data (in gbs) that I will be able to backup to a DDS4 tape? Do DDS4 tapes all have a standard limit? Is it 20gb raw, and 40gb compressed? I can't seem to find anything definitive on the web so I thought i'd ask here. thanks for the assistance. TB "T.B." <balfour@donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.grandecom.net> wrote in message news:10rigrjbd9ejb1@...

DDS-2 Tape Drive vs DDS-3 Tape Drive
I created a SYSGEN tape on a 917LX using a DDS-3 tape drive. I want to install the contents of the SYSGEN tape on a 918LX using a DDS-= 2 tape drive. Will the DDS-2 tape drive be able to read the tape created on a DDS-3 tap= e drive? TIA, Brian Donaldson. * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * It depends on the tape itself. If it's a 120 meter tape, perhaps. If it's a 125 meter tape, no way. Denys... -----Original Message----- From: HP-3000 Systems Discussion [...

Hardware question (connecting a tape drive)
Hello I have a VAX 4100 to which is connected a disk tower (SCSI) from the port on the back of the VAX. I think I can connect a tape drive to the inside of the disk tower, as I see another port in there. But I don't have a cable that fits. On the other hand, I do have a SCSI cable that can connect to the tape drive directly from the VAX. As the tape drive has another connector, I figured I could then go from there to the disk tower. I tried, and at the >>> prompt a SHOW DEVICE now shows several MKA devices instead of DKA devices. I see the new tape is there (...

Old Tape Backup Drive Question
Hello everyone. I have an old SCSI tape backup drive: a Conner CTMS 3200, and am using it with QIC-W media (Sony 3080 XLF) to regularly backup my W2K boot partition (approx. 2G of data). Works fine so far. My question is whether there is other higher-capacity media (longer tape maybe?) that can be used with this drive, or is the native 2G capacity a limitation of the drive? Many thanks in advance, -arifi "Arifi Koseoglu" <arifi@turk.net> wrote in news:bu8vll$f3qah$1@ID-213322.news.uni-berlin.de: > Hello everyone. > > I have an old SCSI tape ...

Re: DDS-2 Tape Drive vs DDS-3 Tape Drive
Denys: Thanks for your help as always. =20 The reason I started this posting is because I got the opportunity of buy= ing a "cheap" 918LX. =20 I saw the system today. It boots up ok, goes to the ISL> prompt ok. I did= a START NORECOVERY with NOSYSSTART (SYSSTART on the 2nd attempt) and I got = a ton of errors each time as it came up. (BAD UFID on spoolfiles) =20 Unfortunately, this 918LX is really old, the colon prompt says "MPE XL:" indicating a very old version of MPE. The two disc drives for LDEV 1 &amp= ; 2 are only 2gb' ers, very little me...

Exabyte Mammoth tape drive question.
Just picked up this drive. Seems to work okay except there are never any messages on the LCD. LEDs, mechanics seem to work and a test backup was okay. This is an 8900 mfg'd for IBM. Updated it with the latest firmware as well. Shot? <poison_1024@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1128644463.803996.239190@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > Just picked up this drive. Seems to work okay except there are never > any messages on the LCD. LEDs, mechanics seem to work and a test > backup was okay. > > This is an 8900 mfg'd for IBM. Updated it with the latest firmw...

what tapes for salvaged tape drive?
Hello all, I recently acquired a front loading tape drive from an 8 year old high end business desktop PC. I want to use it for backups, but I have never used tape storage before and don't know how to find out what kind of tapes I need. I know this is a sequential access medium, so my basic plan just involves dumping compressed disk images onto the tapes. How would I go about finding the right tape for my drive? Thank you for your time, Elijah Rutschman elijahr@gmail.com writes: > I recently acquired a front loading tape drive from an 8 year old > high end bu...

General questions on SCSI tape drive programming
Dear Programmers, I am a new programmer and assigned a project to write to SCSI tape drive. I have met some problems to work on it. I develop under redhat. The scsi adapter card is correctly recognized, which is" LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c875". However, I don't know how to access them either by shell or system call. I checked /dev/ directory and couldn't find sg* device. Second question, do I need to mount the drive when I put a tape in it before I run my program? Please forgive me if my questions are silly. I am new both to programming and linux. Y...

Total noob question re: python icon
I read that this language has nothing to do with big reptiles, so how come the icon shows a snake? I understand that Linux is using the penguin, but how about an albatross or perhaps a spiny hedgehog? DINSDALE!?! -- Dont' Panic! On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 20:27:56 GMT, ArtDent wrote: > I read that this language has nothing to do with big reptiles, so how > come the icon shows a snake? The language has nothing to do with 1970s British comedy teams either. > I understand that Linux is using the penguin, but how about an > albatross or perhaps a spiny hedgehog? Sure, how about it? ...

SATA DAT tape drive / danis506 question
I'm curious. The old BA2KSV server pro product can handle, so said, both virtually any kind of SCSI DAT and IDE DAT tape drive units, per the documentation for it. I'm wondering if by change, since the very good DANIA506 device driver can handle most any of the old ATA and SATA drive requirements, might the current SATA DAT tape drives be serviced with it? Suggested to me was the Quantum DAT72 CD72H-SBU DAT tape backup drive unit. The current Seagate SATA hard drives currently provide data throughput service even faster than the Adaptec 29160 card and driver, which is a...

HSD10 - MV3800
I recently put a storageworks BA350 + HSD10 setup on my MicroVAX 3800 in order to move away from the somewhat scarce DSSI type drives. No problems in the system recognizing the SCSI drives as I was able to image both DSSI drives to the SCSI ones. I setup the HSD10 as node 2 and the host DSSI Qbus controller to see it. On the HSD10 side all disk drives as well as the tape drive are seen and have been configured. When I do a sh dev at the SRM prompt, the tape drive should be recognized as MUC110:. Any thoughts on what I should be looking for. The TLZ07 is in a SBB. I am no expert in t...

Where to find Atari 400 Tape Drive Belt
Greetings, I recently got out all my old computing equipment to set up again, and when I went to load "Ghost Encounters" on my Atari 400 tape drive, I noticed that the mechanisms would not turn. Upon inspection, the main drive belt is stretched and exhausted. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good source for this main drive belt off the top of their head ? I have a Fry's electronics locally and they have a selection of belts that I plan to look at tomorrow, though I don't recall seeing any square belts when I was last there. Hopefully I can find something close or identical. I would like to find an exact replacement if possible, however. ANY information you may have on this main drive belt would be most appreciated! with dreams of gear drives, -Jayson I put a caliper on the belt and got all the measurements, went to action-electronics.com and ordered several sizes (to compensate for an unknown amount of stretch.) Will report back which exact belt from action-electronics.com is an exact match after putting it through the paces. I suspect the square 9.0" x 0.40" x 0.40" will be an exact match, though I purchased from 8.6 to 9.2 incrementally. This is for an atari 410 tape drive. If nothing else, for information's sake and to satiate the need to talk to myself ;) -J On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 03:07:00 -0700, Zero dB <no@email.com> wrote: >Greetings, > >I recent...

Web resources about - What to do with 130XE and tape drive? (totally noob question) - comp.sys.atari.8bit

HSBC banking app replacing passwords & memorable questions with Touch ID and voice-recognition
HSBC has told the BBC that it is going all-in on biometric security, replacing both passwords and memorable questions with a combination of Touch ...

Submit your questions for Autoblog Podcast #467
Filed under: Podcasts On Episode #467 of the Autoblog Podcast, we'll discuss our the Volvo V90 and the return of the Renault Alpine.

"Why Not Question Trump’s Faith?"/Why not question everything everyone asserts about relgion?
The first question is asked by Kevin D. Williamson at The National Review. The second question is mine and is intended not so much as a question ...

The king of the birthers says leaders shouldn't question a man's faith. Seriously?
The king of the birthers says leaders shouldn't question a man's faith. Seriously? by digby Not that this will hurt him, of course: Pope Francis ...

Ryan Reynolds helped Katie Holmes answer an age-old 'Dawson's Creek' question
Katie Holmes got some unexpected help in answering a question about who the better kisser was on "Dawson's Creek" during an appearance on CBS's ...

Pope Francis Questions Trump’s Christianity, Trump Fights Back
'For a religious leader to question a person's faith is disgraceful'

Meningococcal Infections Among Homeless People In Boston Raises Questions
Three cases of life threatening meningococcal infection have been identified in homeless men in Boston since the first of the year. What can ...

Umberto Eco Asked the Hard Questions About the Myths We Can't Help Believing In
Most people know Umberto Eco as the author of The Name of the Rose (pictured above), a Medieval detective story that caused a sensation. But ...

Casino Magnate Adelson Facing 49 Hours of Pretrial Questions
A judge says billionaire casino magnate and Las Vegas newspaper owner Sheldon Adelson can be questioned for up to 49 hours beginning next week ...