Questions, questions & more questions

Hi all,

As I've got rather a lot of questions to post I thought I'd better
merge a few  into one post.  Appreciate these have probably been asked
stacks of times but research on the net has not turned up the answers.

What's the quickest solution for transferring files from a PC to an
Falcon/TT?  I'm going to look into networking my Atari kit but that's
a little way off at the moment.

Is the Backwards ST emulator program still available?  Would love to
play some of my old favourites such as Megalomania.  I know that I
could use a PC emulator but somehow that seems like cheating ;-)

Has anyone got upgrade disks for Hisoft Basic 2 & WERCS? I contacted
HiSoft but was told the master disks have been lost.  Currently using
HB2 v2.02 & WERCS v1.24

There used to be stacks of PD suppliers (10 years ago) but most have
seem to have dissapeared.  What's the best place to download PD &
Shareware(?) utilities such as ACCs?

Well that's probably enough questions for one post.  Have to say it's
great getting back into the Atari scene again and away from those
Satanic PCs, even my trusty old Alpha workstation running OpenVMS has
been consigned to the cupboard.  :o)

Thanks in advance.

Dave.

0
blah
9/9/2005 10:55:22 PM
comp.sys.atari.st 6023 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Salve commonly, blah <blah@blah.com> wrote:

> What's the quickest solution for transferring files from a PC to an
> Falcon/TT?

Ethernet!

> I'm going to look into networking my Atari kit but that's a little way
> off at the moment.

In this case... PARCP!

> What's the best place to download PD & Shareware(?) utilities such as
> ACCs?

<ftp://chapelie.rma.ac.be/atari/>
<ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/atari/>
<ftp://ftp.inf.tu-dresden.de/software/atari/>
<http://www.jaapan.de/fr/uptodate.php>
<http://www.atari.org/>

        Saluti-gerulus

--
*"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so*
*long as I'm the dictator."* G.W. Bush <http://www.brunnenvergifter.de>
blah@blah.com wrote:

> What's the quickest solution for transferring files from a PC to an
> Falcon/TT?  I'm going to look into networking my Atari kit but that's
> a little way off at the moment.

The quickest solution is to share a hard disk drive by creating a
partition on it that can be read/written by both the PC and the Atari.
A hard disk will do for that, a drive with removable media, e.g. ZIP,
will do as well. A CF card can also be used, but this requires a CF card
adapter, of course.

   Dr. Uwe Seimet                                 http://www.seimet.de
0
Uwe

I'm looking for a SCSI ZIP drive at the moment for just that purpose.
When you talk about sharing a drive do you mean by something like
Samba?

Dave.

>The quickest solution is to share a hard disk drive by creating a
>partition on it that can be read/written by both the PC and the Atari.
>A hard disk will do for that, a drive with removable media, e.g. ZIP,
>will do as well. A CF card can also be used, but this requires a CF card
>adapter, of course.

Email: dgr167 at aol dot com
0
blah
9/10/2005 10:23:35 PM
Thanks for the info.

Dave.

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 06:42:00 +0200,
Fidel-Sebastian_Hunrichse-Lara@b.maus.de (Fidel-Sebastian
Hunrichse-Lara) wrote:

>Salve commonly, blah <blah@blah.com> wrote:
>
>> What's the quickest solution for transferring files from a PC to an
>> Falcon/TT?
>
>Ethernet!
>
>> I'm going to look into networking my Atari kit but that's a little way
>> off at the moment.
>
>In this case... PARCP!
>
>> What's the best place to download PD & Shareware(?) utilities such as
>> ACCs?
>
><ftp://chapelie.rma.ac.be/atari/>
><ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/atari/>
><ftp://ftp.inf.tu-dresden.de/software/atari/>
><http://www.jaapan.de/fr/uptodate.php>
><http://www.atari.org/>
>
>        Saluti-gerulus

Email: dgr167 at aol dot com
0
blah
9/10/2005 10:23:59 PM
blah@blah.com wrote:

> I'm looking for a SCSI ZIP drive at the moment for just that purpose.
> When you talk about sharing a drive do you mean by something like
> Samba?

No, I mean partitioning a ZIP cartridge so that you can use it with both
the Atari or the PC. Write data on the ZIP with the PC, then use the
cartridge (in another ZIP drive, or the same) to read these data with
the Atari. Or write data with the Atari and read them with the ZIP.
There is no network connection. The data are shared via the ZIP cartridge.

   Dr. Uwe Seimet                                 http://www.seimet.de
0
Uwe
9/10/2005 11:07:07 PM
If the disk is partioned on an Atari could it then be read if swapped
to a zip drive plugged into a PC? Basically I'm  saying are the zip
disks hot-swapable?

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 01:07:07 +0200, Uwe Seimet <Uwe.Seimet@seimet.de>
wrote:

>blah@blah.com wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a SCSI ZIP drive at the moment for just that purpose.
>> When you talk about sharing a drive do you mean by something like
>> Samba?
>
>No, I mean partitioning a ZIP cartridge so that you can use it with both
>the Atari or the PC. Write data on the ZIP with the PC, then use the
>cartridge (in another ZIP drive, or the same) to read these data with
>the Atari. Or write data with the Atari and read them with the ZIP.
>There is no network connection. The data are shared via the ZIP cartridge.

Email: dgr167 at aol dot com
0
blah
9/11/2005 1:52:57 PM
blah@blah.com wrote:

> If the disk is partioned on an Atari could it then be read if swapped
> to a zip drive plugged into a PC? Basically I'm  saying are the zip
> disks hot-swapable?

Yes, provided that you have partitioned the ZIP cartridge with a special
option offered by the HDDRIVER package. This option creates a partition
that can be used by the PC as well as by the Atari without any
additional software.

   Dr. Uwe Seimet                                 http://www.seimet.de
0
Uwe
9/11/2005 2:14:18 PM

Uwe Seimet wrote:

> blah@blah.com wrote:
>
>> If the disk is partioned on an Atari could it then be read if swapped
>> to a zip drive plugged into a PC? Basically I'm  saying are the zip
>> disks hot-swapable?
>
> Yes, provided that you have partitioned the ZIP cartridge with a special
> option offered by the HDDRIVER package. This option creates a partition
> that can be used by the PC as well as by the Atari without any
> additional software.

And I must say that work just great. All my zip's are partionated this
way. They can all be used on pc and Mac without any problem at all.

TTFN
Martin

http://www.againsttcpa.com  | In 2002 began the war for digital freedom

--
  *********Greetings from Troll Newsreader**********
  **     On the seventh day He created Atari      **

On 10 Sep 2005 07:54:03 , Uwe Seimet  wrote:
>blah@blah.com wrote:
>
>> What's the quickest solution for transferring files from a PC to an
>> Falcon/TT?  I'm going to look into networking my Atari kit but that's
>> a little way off at the moment.
>
>The quickest solution is to share a hard disk drive by creating a
>partition on it that can be read/written by both the PC and the Atari.
>A hard disk will do for that, a drive with removable media, e.g. ZIP,
>will do as well. A CF card can also be used, but this requires a CF card
>adapter, of course.
>
>--
>   Dr. Uwe Seimet                                 http://www.seimet.de
>.
0
malo
9/11/2005 7:24:32 PM
In message <dg209f$17r$1@ss405.t-com.hr>, malo.morgen@nowhere.com said:

>and how you do it without hddriver? ;)

Slowly! :-) Seriously, there is no better hard disk driver than
HDDRIVER and it's well worth the money. Note that if you want the
English manual for it, you have to buy the package from Atari Workshop.

Regards, /Peter/

0
xlator

Questions that question????
Hi everybody, I am thinking abt how much information can be provided to a quetion posted related to design with emerging hitech FPGA's.I started using this usenet just a few weeks ago,and I find it very interesting to notice people with great experience working in industries or with FPGA manufacuturers replying to the best they could.So I started thinking, how much of an information related to the desing should be given for a question. The less information i give, i likely to get no repliess, and the more i give , i might loose my valuable design , what would be a tradeoff here? So, how ...

Questions over questions
Hello people, I have a problem with my ISP! He kills my php script, if they were executed over 30 seconds. Can I use some trick to fake a little bit? That I can execute the script longer!? Greeting! Sven Dzepina wrote: > Hello people, > > I have a problem with my ISP! He kills my php script, if they were executed > over 30 seconds. > Can I use some trick to fake a little bit? That I can execute the script > longer!? > > Greeting! > > If your ISP doesn't run your script in safe mode, which it most likely does, then you can set_time_limit(0); for unli...

Question about a question
Steve Pampling: Steve, do you take a.a.bugs? I need a smidgin of advice about a particular Win PC question, it needs putting to a Sys/IT maintenance/admin type person rather than any old idiot like me. If you don't sub to ..bugs can I please email you privately, as I did around Christmas time (same old computer)? Cheers Dave S -- In article <4e2368520fdfs@ukgateway.net>, Dave Symes <dfs@ukgateway.net> wrote: > Steve Pampling: > Steve, do you take a.a.bugs? Nope. I vaguely recall it being on a list some time ago (years) but I shortened things to the core csa and ...

Questions, Questions...
Hi! I took the routine from Gastronor.mdb: In the frmOrderDetails -> ITemID_AfterUpdate: Dim strFilter as String strFilter = "ItemID = " & Me!ItemID but it didn't work on win 2000 with access 2000. However, after playing around for a while, I found: Me!UnitPrice = ItemID.Column(2) to work just fine, even after updating prices in the tblItems. Anybody knows why? The routine in win 98/win nt in the footer of frmOrderDetails: =Sum((Price*Amount*(1-[Discount])/100)*100)) didn't either work. After testing and trying I finally discovered that =Sum(Price*Amount*Discount)...

Questions, Questions, Questions -- Well, really only two
This newsgroup seemed distribution non-specific so here goes: 1. Many companies who want to use linux, want it for email and web service. These systems don't need xwindows, and, in fact, as I understand it, not installing it not only saves resources but reduces security risk. Is there anywhere freely available a how-to install various current distributions of linux using text only, and installing mail, web and domain name service that is fairly easy for the uninformed to follow? Especially helpful would be a debian install. 2. Does anyone know of an encyclopedia, preferrably text-b...

Question and bonus question
Given an integer between 0 and 5000 (characters 0-9; no leading zero) can anyone suggest a non-iterative, non-recursive way of summing the individual digits? I'm just looking for a clever way to do what is easy with the obvious loop: Sum = 0 Do I = 1 to length(n) Sum = sum + substr(n,I,1) End Bonus Question: Can anyone suggest a mechanism to allow reading the TOC (Table of Content) of an Audio CD? The connection? The TOC contains frame numbers where each track starts. Do an integer divide by 75 and you get the time offset in seconds. Sum the digits of each of the start times...

questions on audit question
I want to audit any insert, update transaction on a particular table. So I set audit_trail=DB then "audit insert, update on db1.tablename;" >From the SYS.AUD$ table, the result only shows ONE audit record for each session. For example, if UserA do 2 INSERTS and 3 UPDATES on the table during the session, I only got ONE record in SYS.AUD$: SQL> select userid, ses$actions from user_audit_object; USERA ------S---S----- But I want to see the exact number of times the tables are being insert and update. How to accomplish that? Susan susana73@hotmail.com wrote: &g...

ipfw question & portscan question
Using BrickHouse to set ipfw so that only port 80 is open (I serve several Web sites), I note lots of the following sort of stuff in console.log and system.log: Jan 27 06:17:34 Stella-Blue kernel: ipfw: 55005 Deny UDP 64.122.147.30:137 216.243.177.155:137 in via en0 Jan 27 06:25:29 Stella-Blue kernel: ipfw: 55005 Deny ICMP:8.0 216.243.190.220 216.243.177.155 in via en0 Jan 27 06:56:48 Stella-Blue kernel: ipfw: 55005 Deny UDP 210.13.22.79:1160 216.243.177.155:1434 in via en0 Jan 27 07:06:11 Stella-Blue kernel: ipfw: 55005 Deny ICMP:8.0 216.244.14.36 216.243.177.155 in via en0 Jan 27 07:09:...

design question
Hello all - I'm working on a database that stores data for a survey. We are storing several different types of surveys, each of which can have any number of different question types. For instance, a survey could have a multiple choice question, a yes/no question, numerical question, or a free-form text answer. When a user logs on to fill out a survey, the data from the survey template will be copied to a set of tables which look basically the same, except that they will store the survey questions and the answers from the user. Each question type would have a different field or fields fo...

Question about the keyword synchronized, the previous question contain typing question please ignore it.
�p�̦��@��concept ���ө���, �Ʊ�U��H�S�i�H���@���U. First please have a look on the codes below: public class SyncTest { private int x; private int y; private synchronized void setX (int i){ x=i; } private synchronized void setY (int i) { y=i; } public void setXY(int i){ setX(i); setY(i); } public synchronized Boolean check() { return x !=y; } } The question is: Under which conditions will check() return when called form a different class A. Check() can never return true B...

This is my question, and some question I answer arealy
Homework I. Fundamental 1. Every C program begins execution at the function ___________main________= ____. 2. The __ Left brace _____begins the body of every function and the ___ Rig= ht brace _____ ends the body of every function. 3. In C, every statement ends with a ____ semicolon ___________. 4. The _____ printf____ standard library function displays information on t= he screen. 5. The escape sequence \n represents the ____ new line ____ character, whic= h causes the cursor to position to the beginning of the next line on the sc= reen. 6. The ____scanf____ standard library funct...

Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions abou
Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyo...

If last question--data question
Hello, I have a little question concerning a "if last" question. I have.... herdcode string testdate 427500065 99 09/20/03 427500065 01 11/14/03=20 427500065 02 11/14/03=20 427500065 90 11/14/03 I need.... herdcode string testdate 427500065 01 11/14/03=20 427500065 02 11/14/03=20 427500065 90 11/14/03 I've tried if last.XXX but am loosing the string 01 and 02. I've tried = the nodup key but not wor...

Questions, Questions.. Disarming /RAM
Hi- Thanks to everyone that's replied to my previous posts. The help has been great, and I'm learning more each day. I don't use the /RAM disk that ProDOS creates, and I'd like to free it so I can have more available space for AppleWorks. Anyone know how to disable or truncate (to 1 block or something) the /RAM drive? // CHRIS "Chris M" <chris@sorry.no.spam.com> wrote in message news:rid970huq43chlrqokl9tq0m5t0oo7u7ol@4ax.com... > > Hi- > > Thanks to everyone that's replied to my previous posts. > The help has been great, and I'm l...

Question about menus and a question about exiting
Hello, I have two questions that are really not related. Hope it's okay if I squeeze them both into one post. First question: At certain points in my program, I wish to display an error message and then exit if certain serious, un-recoverable errors occur. What's the "cleanest" way to exit. Post a WM_CLOSE message? I wish to exit gracefully. Second question: Can I disable (i.e., gray out) a menu item by editing the .rc-file? Or do I have to do both disabling and enabling in the actual code of the program? I have a menu item that should start as grayed out when th...

Question (First Question.. Ever)
I've been using Eudora since there was a Eudora and have never had any problems. I am presently using the current version and for some reason, three days ago, when it brings in email (Blurbs from Best Buy, or Future Shop, or any advertising email) the frames of the pictures are there, but no content. There is a red X in the top left hand corner and when I move the curser over the 'box' there is a black circle with a line through it. I haven't changed any settings. What is causing this? And how the heck do I fix it? I can click on the X and it takes me to advertise...

solve question/simplify question
Hi, I have a list called equns of linear equations which are independent of each other. The according variables are in a list called params. I solve the equations into a list called sol using sol = Solve[equns, params]; Can I expect the solution procedure to be faster or in favor of memory usage if I iterate through the elements of the lists and solve for each equation separately? Same question goes for Simplify. I don't want to try and find out myself because I have noticed big differences in running times with Mathematica and I am not sure how to test for improved...

Regexp Question / gsub Question
Perhaps someone could help with this example? I need to iterate through each of the items in strings and wrap any case insensitive occurrence of "key" with <b> </b>. If each string was always just the word "key" I would use something like wrapper.join("key") but.. I have other text surrounding the "key", various cases and potentially multiple occurrences. Thank you in advance. wrapper = ["<b>", "</b>"] strings = ["blahblahKEY", "asdfasdfkey", "Keyasdf", "xxkEYxx", "...

question about safe
Hello! How to prevent from such try of attack of the website? http://www.domain.com/index.php?id=%3Cscript%3Ealert(document.cookie);%3C/script%3E Thank you in advance for help M. MZ wrote: > Hello! > > How to prevent from such try of attack of the website? > > > http://www.domain.com/index.php?id=%3Cscript%3Ealert(document.cookie);%3C/script%3E > > > Thank you in advance for help > M. > > > As in your other question, there is no inherent vulnerability in PHP for this. But this is also javascript, not PHP, and PHP doesn't execute jav...

Curses question interface question
I would like to put a box around my input field using curses and i'm not sure how to do this my screen setup is like displayed as the following -----------------------------------------------. | | | | | | | | | How are you doing today: | | | | ...

Re: Dnssec questions (and more questions)
In message <gappfq$3bn$1@snarked.org>, "D. Stussy" writes: > "Thomas Schulz" <schulz@adi.com> wrote in message > news:gapnsh$2d9g$1@sf1.isc.org... > > Am I correct in assumeing that I can set up our server with the dnssec > > keys and then without any great rush send the dlv records to isc.org > > and no resolver will reject our zone because of the partial setup? > > > > What do I do when I want to change to new keys? It would seem that I > > can't change either my keys or the dlv record at isc.org without...

erb question (was eruby question)
Ok, sorry about that...I meant Tiny eruby (erb2). I guess I'm a little confused.��How�can�I�setup�ERB2�to�process�.rhtml files without using mod_ruby? (I want it to run as a standard cgi app -- I'm going to run it under abyss webserver to be exact). Thanks for the replies before but I stated the wrong module. Greg B. ...

g3 question and related questions
I am a bit envious of what my daughter can do with her iPad 2 with g3 or whatever its name is. Scanning with it would be neat and being able to use it without a handy wi-fi connection to access the internet would be neat . Question, however. Does it work in other countries? I don't mean across US borders, I mean europe. No, I'm not even considering the newer, heavier again model. -- Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad Erilar <drache@chibardun.netinvalid> wrote: > I am a bit envious of what my daughter can do with her iPad 2 with g3 or > whatever ...

Question on ESD, question on RAM
Bought some RAM. Came wrapped in what appeared to me as standard clear plastic bubble wrap. Seller claims it was "anti-static bubble wrapper that costs almost double-price" I never heard of such a thing. Does it exist? Can a cheap ohmeter measure conductivity of anti-static pouch? The RAM has a tag saying SDR 64x8 133/P4 512M AUM 3009 Didn't find that whole string on Google, and when I found parts of it, they were on Chinese and Indian manufacturers' sites with absolutely no information. Should it work in a 1 GHz eMac? System info says slot is empty when another 512...

Web resources about - Questions, questions & more questions - comp.sys.atari.st

Brisbane council election: ALP donation pledge has 'more questions than answers'
Labor's promise not to accept donations from people, companies or organisations with current business before Brisbane City Council has been ridiculed ...

Lunacy, Bluster & Unanswered Questions: Trump On Defense
It’s time to examine what a Trump defense program might look like because he appears to be the presumptive Republican nominee.

Answering a Rhetorical ‘Lunch’ Question
On the heels of Diane Clehane ’s latest FishbowlNY “Lunch” column Wednesday, there was the following exchange on Twitter between Politico Media’s ...

The most absurdly-framed question at last night’s debate
John Kasich didn’t get very much attention at last night’s debate, which is one of the reasons why Frank Luntz’s insta-focus group indicated ...

Question of the day: Best electric sleeper candidate?
Filed under: Green , Electric , Performance What high-torque electric-drivetrain swap, into which vehicle, would give you the best electric sleeper? ...

Apple, the FBI and ‘the most dangerous question in America’
When the contentious issue of government surveillance is brought up, a common sentiment expressed by individuals who see no problem with expanded ...

Facebook uses a unique intern evaluation question to find the best young talent
Facebook has the highest-rated internship program in the US , according to a report by Glassdoor. Vlad Fedorov, Facebook's engineering director ...

Oil billionaire's death after indictment sparks questions - Videos - CBS News
Police in Oklahoma are investigating the death of a legendary energy titan, Aubrey McClendon, who died Wednesday in a fiery car crash just one ...

To hedge or not? That's the question
Increased volatility explains the popularity of currency-hedged ETFs and other investment vehicles among investors.