C64 DDR-IO port

can someone please explain in english how the 6510 DDR / IO port works
($00 - $01)
how does the ddr at $00 effect the IO ($01) ???

etc

thanks for all your help

0
CodeX

"CodeX" <apwv18@[nospam]xtreme2.pipex.net> writes:

>can someone please explain in english how the 6510 DDR / IO port works
>($00 - $01)
>how does the ddr at $00 effect the IO ($01) ???

The Data Direction Register determines which bits of the I/O Register
are reads and writes. On startup, $0 is set to 239 ($ef) which sets all
of $1 to outputs (i.e., writes) except for Bit 4, which is used for cassette
sensing.

Thus, in the default configuration, bit 0 of $1 is active and controls LORAM,
bit 1 of $1 is active and controls HIRAM, bit 2 of $1 is active and controls
CHAREN, bit 3 of $1 is active and is wired to the cassette data output line,
bit 4 is *not* active and *receives* (not sets) data from the cassette
switch sense, bit 5 of $1 is active and is wired to the cassette motor line,
and even though bits 6 and 7 are also active, they aren't wired to anything.

Note that the functions of the lines are hard-wired, but $0 can control
how the I/O bit in $1 that controls that line is interpreted.

--
      Cameron Kaiser * ckaiser@floodgap.com * posting with a Commodore 128
                personal page: http://www.armory.com/%7Espectre/