CBM-Command Version 1.6 - All Users Should Upgrade!

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

There is a major bug in the way that CBM-Command handles batches of
file that are selected using the select all hotkey that can cause
directory corruption.  Please discard any version older than 7/26/2010
(Version 1.6) and update to Version 1.6!

http://cbmcommand.codeplex.com
0
Reply plbyrd75 (110) 7/28/2010 2:28:35 AM

See related articles to this posting

On Jul 27, 10:28=A0pm, Payton Byrd <plb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is a major bug in the way that CBM-Command handles batches of
> file that are selected using the select all hotkey that can cause
> directory corruption. =A0Please discard any version older than 7/26/2010
> (Version 1.6) and update to Version 1.6!
>
> http://cbmcommand.codeplex.com

Hello Payton,

I finally got around to trying this on real hardware so that I could
transfer some files from my CMD-HD to the uIEC.

I really like the concept, but I have to say, scrolling down through
the files in the directory is very slow.  I know I've mentioned this
before, but I believe it has to do with the way you are re-drawing the
file list and the resulting flashing.  I know you stated that you were
doing it that way for code-portability between systems, but I really
think that to make this thing really sing, you may need to investigate
another approach.

Do you cache ahead any of the file entries, or only read them as
needed?  Not that I'm a Vic 20 or C128 hater, but I think specific
versions for specific platforms, in this case, make sense.

Did you say you were writing this in C or is this pure assembly?

Also, can this tool remove a directory during deletes, or traverse a
directory when copying?  I couldn't seem to get it to delete a
directory.

Anyway, I managed to complete what I needed, and the progress meter
and such during the copy was a nice touch.  I can appreciate the
efforts you've put into this tool.

Jerry
0
Reply Jerry 7/30/2010 7:42:06 PM

On Jul 30, 2:42=A0pm, Jerry Kurtz <jerryku...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 27, 10:28=A0pm, Payton Byrd <plb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > There is a major bug in the way that CBM-Command handles batches of
> > file that are selected using the select all hotkey that can cause
> > directory corruption. =A0Please discard any version older than 7/26/201=
0
> > (Version 1.6) and update to Version 1.6!
>
> >http://cbmcommand.codeplex.com
>
> Hello Payton,
>
> I finally got around to trying this on real hardware so that I could
> transfer some files from my CMD-HD to the uIEC.

This is a good combination of drives.  You are fortunate.

> I really like the concept, but I have to say, scrolling down through
> the files in the directory is very slow. =A0I know I've mentioned this
> before, but I believe it has to do with the way you are re-drawing the
> file list and the resulting flashing. =A0I know you stated that you were
> doing it that way for code-portability between systems, but I really
> think that to make this thing really sing, you may need to investigate
> another approach.

I'm sorry, but there's no other way to redraw the screen without
poking to the screen memory and I'm not going down that road.  I know
scrolling is a pain, which is why I added Page Up (plus key) and Page
Down (minus key) and moving to the top (Up arrow) and to the bottom
(SHIFT-Up arrow).

> Do you cache ahead any of the file entries, or only read them as
> needed? =A0Not that I'm a Vic 20 or C128 hater, but I think specific
> versions for specific platforms, in this case, make sense.

Yes, I cache 30 records at a time, 19 (17 on the VIC) of which are
displayed at any time.  There's not enough RAM to cache any more than
this because you have to remember that with two panels that's 60
records in RAM at once, each having an overhead of over 20 bytes, it
takes over 1K just to cache the sliding windows for the two panels.

> Did you say you were writing this in C or is this pure assembly?

It's written in C with a couple of very small assembly routines to
make saving and retrieving screens faster.

> Also, can this tool remove a directory during deletes, or traverse a
> directory when copying? =A0I couldn't seem to get it to delete a
> directory.

This is up to the drive in question.  If you select a directory and
hit F8 to delete it, it simply sends a S0:DIRNAME to the drive and
it's up to the drive to decide whether or not to delete the directory.

> Anyway, I managed to complete what I needed, and the progress meter
> and such during the copy was a nice touch. =A0I can appreciate the
> efforts you've put into this tool.

Thanks, it's been a pleasure working on CBM-Command and I'm always
glad to hear when it's been useful for somebody.

0
Reply Payton 7/30/2010 8:35:54 PM

Payton Byrd <plbyrd@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I cache 30 records at a time, 19 (17 on the VIC) of which are
> displayed at any time.  There's not enough RAM to cache any more than
> this because you have to remember that with two panels that's 60
> records in RAM at once, each having an overhead of over 20 bytes, it
> takes over 1K just to cache the sliding windows for the two panels.

this is an issue on vic 20 or also on c64? how many RAM do you use?

--
-=[]=--- iAN CooG/HVSC & C64Intros ---=[]=-
My software never has bugs.  It just develops random features!

0
Reply iAN 7/30/2010 9:03:25 PM

On Jul 30, 4:03=A0pm, "iAN CooG" <GETianRIDc...@OFemailME.it.invalid>
wrote:
> Payton Byrd <plb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes, I cache 30 records at a time, 19 (17 on the VIC) of which are
> > displayed at any time. =A0There's not enough RAM to cache any more than
> > this because you have to remember that with two panels that's 60
> > records in RAM at once, each having an overhead of over 20 bytes, it
> > takes over 1K just to cache the sliding windows for the two panels.
>
> this is an issue on vic 20 or also on c64? how many RAM do you use?

You have to remember, this is running in the cc65 runtime, there's
several pre-defined segments of ram, and after they are all
initialized the heap isn't all that big.  To ensure that memory always
exists for the 60 sliding window entries the memory is not dynamically
allocated, so the linker automatically blocks off the ram for this.  I
could tinker to find a bigger sliding window size at the risk of
blowing up something else, such as the heap, which is used for
dynamically allocated structures such as the selected files array.
This problem exists for all the platforms, not any one in particular.
0
Reply Payton 8/2/2010 1:18:36 AM

On Jul 27, 10:28=A0pm, Payton Byrd <plb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is a major bug in the way that CBM-Command handles batches of
> file that are selected using the select all hotkey that can cause
> directory corruption. =A0Please discard any version older than 7/26/2010
> (Version 1.6) and update to Version 1.6!
>
> http://cbmcommand.codeplex.com

Here is my setup.  C64, 1541 as drive 8 (or 9 depending on my switch),
uIEC CF as 10 and CMD HD as 12

If I load cmbcommand from any drive, it always tries to read the
directory of drive 8 to start with.  I rarely have a disk in drive 8
so you know what happens then.  My thinking is that it should default
to the boot drive when it starts up.

I do also agree with the other posts about scrolling/selecting files
is way too slow.  Please realize that on a HD we could have several
hundred files.

Other than that, its a great program and works well.
0
Reply JB 8/2/2010 1:15:45 PM
comp.sys.cbm 13550 articles. 9 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Re: [tao-users] AMH Server replies in GIOP Version 1.2, inspite of specifying the protocol version 1.0 in the ORBListenEndpoints command-line argument
Hi Steve, Thanks for using the PRF! > TAO VERSION: 1.6.3 > ACE VERSION: 5.6.3 >=20 > HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: >=20 > OS =3D Red Hat Enterprise Linux, 2.6.9-67.ELsmp > GCC =3D 4.2.2 >=20 > TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST: > COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): =C2=85=C2=85=C2=85=C2=85= =C2=85=C2=85=C2=85=C2=85. >=20 > Same as HOST >=20 > THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE: =C2=85=C2=85=C2=85=C2=85=C2=85=C2=85= =C2=85=C2=85. >=20 > #ifndef ACE_CONFIG_H &g...

CBM-Command Version 2.1
After a lot of time put in by Greg King, a new version of CBM-Command is ready for release candidate. As always, you can download the latest version (and most previous versions) at the official project website: http://cbmcommand.codeplex.com Thanks, Payton & Greg ...

[tao-users] The same problem compiling tao Hello test in ARM9 with the last versions TAO-1.6.8 and ACE-5.6.8
--000e0cd247e4cdac350464af1fc3 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I probe with this versions and is the same problem.. TAO VERSION: 1.6.8 ACE VERSION: 5.6.8 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: Athlon(TM) 1200 Mhz, RAM DIMM 256Mb, HDD 20 Gb Linux Debian 2.6.18-6-686 TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: ARM926EJ-S with kernel linux embebed 2.4.20-celf3 THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE: config-linux.h THE $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU FILE: platform_ARM.GNU (se...

[ace-users] ACE VERSION: 5.6.8 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: Linux Debian on x86 COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): g++-4.1.2 THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h: config-linux.h THE $ACE_ROOT/inc
This is a multipart message in MIME format. --=_alternative 004800E0C1257577_= Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable ACE VERSION: 5.6.8 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: Linux Debian on x86 COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL):=20 g++-4.1.2 THE $ACE=5FROOT/ace/config.h: config-linux.h THE $ACE=5FROOT/include/makeinclude/platform=5Fmacros.GNU FILE: platform=5Flinux.GNU CONTENTS OF $ACE=5FROOT/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/default.features (unmodified): AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: Signal ...

CBM-Command Version 1.0 Released
The official release of CBM-Command is here! I want to thank all the folks who've tested, supported and critiqued the project; you have all made it better. Please see the website at http://cbmcommand.codeplex.com for downloads and release notes. There are no new features over the beta, but I have cleaned up the display of the screen so that more of the filenames can be seen. Thanks, Payton On May 26, 9:53=A0pm, Payton Byrd <plb...@gmail.com> wrote: > The official release of CBM-Command is here! =A0I want to thank all the > folks who've tested, supported and ...

CBM-Command Version 1.7 Released
CBM-Command Version 1.7 Released has been released. This version has several bug fixes but also includes real-time statistics on file copy and disk image operations. There's also some visual goodness for 128 users. http://cbmcommand.codeplex.com Enjoy! ...

CBM-Command Version 1.5 Released
! Release Version 1.5 - Stable This version encompases many enhancements and improvements of existing functionality, as well as inclusion of new target platforms (VIC 20, Plus 4) and features (D81 support, Configuration Color Picker). ! New Features * (ALL) New color picker for the configuration program * (64, 128, PLUS 4) 1581 Disk Image (D81) Support * Added support for Commodore Plus 4 computer * 32K Expanded VIC-20 now supported ! Changes * (ALL) Removed CTRL key from hot keys that previously required it. Hot keys the use the C= key still require it. * (ALL) If you have 1 or more files s...

CBM-Command Version 2.0 Beta 1
Release Notes Major New Version This is the first beta release of CBM-Command version 2.0. CBM-Command has undergone a lot of changes since version 1.7, most of which consist of a thorough cleaning of the code by Greg King and new features added by Payton Byrd with the space that Greg King freed up. Being the first public release after so many changes, please understand there will probably be some bugs. New Features * REL file copying between devices that support REL files. * D71 disk image support - now you can create and write dual sided disk images with a 1571 drive * Configur...

CBM-Command Version 2.1 Release Candidate 3
Greg King has released another bugfix for CBM-Command 2.1 RC and this should be the last one before going official with version 2.1. In addition, I've created a CBM-Command one-page cheat sheet with all of the keyboard shortcuts and a list of quick hints to help get you going with common use cases for CBM-Command. Downloads: CBM-Command - http://cbmcommand.codeplex.com Cheat Sheet - http://cbmcommand.codeplex.com/releases/view/80133 ...