Electronic Projects for C64 - I'm looking for some of the hardware

Hello everyone, I'm finally reading this book and would like to build some
of these projects.  Has anyone built some of these projects and if so are
you willing to part with the hardware? Rather than purchasing piecemeal it
would be handy to get most of them at once.

Even though the book gives part numbers I'm having a little trouble locating
the  24 pin DZM 12 DREH  12/24 user port edge connector (part numbers seemed
to have changed at Mouser).

http://www.8bitdesigns.com/connect.html  has them listed but according to
his website he isn't selling anymore.

I'm looking to build a project which monitors the air temp inside and
outside of my house and then turns on an electrical appliance (fan) to move
air in/out.  These projects are well laid out in this book and I'm pretty
sure that I can build them (given my lack of elecrical knowledge).

thanks

thegoldbug

0
thegoldbug

thegoldbug wrote:
> Hello everyone, I'm finally reading this book and would like to build some
> of these projects.  Has anyone built some of these projects and if so are
> you willing to part with the hardware? Rather than purchasing piecemeal it
> would be handy to get most of them at once.
>
> Even though the book gives part numbers I'm having a little trouble locating
> the  24 pin DZM 12 DREH  12/24 user port edge connector (part numbers seemed
> to have changed at Mouser).
>
> http://www.8bitdesigns.com/connect.html  has them listed but according to
> his website he isn't selling anymore.
>
> I'm looking to build a project which monitors the air temp inside and
> outside of my house and then turns on an electrical appliance (fan) to move
> air in/out.  These projects are well laid out in this book and I'm pretty
> sure that I can build them (given my lack of elecrical knowledge).
>
> thanks
>
> thegoldbug

Im sure you can get all your parts at Digikey.
0
Ziggy
4/24/2005 12:43:04 AM
The mouser part# you are needing is 587-357-024, which is a user-port
connector.  I bought 3 of these after carefully counting the pins and
measuring the spaces and matching it up in their catalog.  They ended up
fitting perfectly.  Just in case you need it, the cassette port connector
is 587-305-52-012

I'm working on a very similar project but still haven't decided exactly how
to measure temperature.  I'd like to use the on-board POT sensors on the
C64 to read a thermistor but so far I haven't been able to find a
thermistor that gives a very good resolution on the C64.  So I'm thinking
of using an external ADC instead.. How does your book recommend that you do
it?

> Hello everyone, I'm finally reading this book and would like to build
> some of these projects.  Has anyone built some of these projects and
> if so are you willing to part with the hardware? Rather than
> purchasing piecemeal it would be handy to get most of them at once.
>
> Even though the book gives part numbers I'm having a little trouble
> locating the  24 pin DZM 12 DREH  12/24 user port edge connector (part
> numbers seemed to have changed at Mouser).

0
David
4/24/2005 12:46:35 AM
"David Murray" <spamsucks@stopspam.com> wrote in message
> The mouser part# you are needing is 587-357-024, which is a user-port
> connector.  I bought 3 of these after carefully counting the pins and
> measuring the spaces and matching it up in their catalog.  They ended up
> fitting perfectly.  Just in case you need it, the cassette port connector
> is 587-305-52-012
>
> I'm working on a very similar project but still haven't decided exactly
how
> to measure temperature.  I'd like to use the on-board POT sensors on the
> C64 to read a thermistor but so far I haven't been able to find a
> thermistor that gives a very good resolution on the C64.  So I'm thinking
> of using an external ADC instead.. How does your book recommend that you
do
> it?
>
> > Hello everyone, I'm finally reading this book and would like to build
> > some of these projects.  Has anyone built some of these projects and
> > if so are you willing to part with the hardware? Rather than
> > purchasing piecemeal it would be handy to get most of them at once.
> >
> > Even though the book gives part numbers I'm having a little trouble
> > locating the  24 pin DZM 12 DREH  12/24 user port edge connector (part
> > numbers seemed to have changed at Mouser).

Thanks for the fast reply, I don't think Digikey has the part. The old
Mouser part number is 568-50-24A-30.

I recommend this book highly for people like me with limited knowledge.  The
book is using a simple Texas Instruments ADC, 8bit resoultion, 40,000
samples per second (Radio Shack #276 ~ $6.95) (it's show on the circuit
diagram as a TLC 548) and a thermistor from Digikey PN#KC006N-ND " which is
an NTC (negative temperature coefficient) type that decreases in resistance
as temperature increases.  Resistance at 25C (77F) is 10,000 ohms.  Maximum
operating temperature is 150C (302F)."

The author goes on to state that by using a 47 k resistor in series with the
transducer gives a good response in the 0 to 120F range.

This book also lists the basic source code for each project and has
diagrams, parts lists,  and pictures.

I might own two of these books but since I haven't unpacked my C64 stuff I
can't be sure.

thegoldbug

0
thegoldbug
4/24/2005 1:07:04 AM
thegoldbug wrote:

snip!

> Thanks for the fast reply, I don't think Digikey has the part. The old
> Mouser part number is 568-50-24A-30.

Digikey still has User Port Edge Connectors, part number EDC307240-ND

Price starting at $2.45 ea.

Larry
--
   01000011 01001100 01000001 01010011 01010011 01001001 01000011
Larry Anderson - Sysop of Silicon Realms BBS  (209) 754-1363  300-14.4k

> TLC 548

Do you think you could scan the page with the schematic for the temperature
sensing hardware?  If you can, email the page to adric22@yahoo.com

Also, is there any code samples given with it as to how to decode the
serial data from this chip.  I looked at the datasheet for it.  It is nice
and small, and inexpensive.   but I sort of prefer the parallel chips as it
seems less complicated to read them.  I've tried interfacing my C64 to two
serial devices recently.  One was a PS/2 keyboard the other was a serial
RAM chip.  I worked for weeks on both projects before giving up.  I'm not
sure if the 6526 chip in the C64 just isn't capable of talking to those
devices or if I'm just not interperating the protocols properly, or if my
code just had bugs.  But unless I had a schematic and some sample code to
work with.. I'll probably not try the TLC548.

0
David
4/24/2005 2:46:26 AM
> "thegoldbug" <mpagel@prodigy.net> wrote in news:YiCae.2351$B25.1655
> @newssvr31.news.prodigy.com:
>
> > TLC 548
>
> Do you think you could scan the page with the schematic for the
temperature
> sensing hardware?  If you can, email the page to adric22@yahoo.com
>
> Also, is there any code samples given with it as to how to decode the
> serial data from this chip.  I looked at the datasheet for it.  It is nice
> and small, and inexpensive.   but I sort of prefer the parallel chips as
it
> seems less complicated to read them.  I've tried interfacing my C64 to two
> serial devices recently.  One was a PS/2 keyboard the other was a serial
> RAM chip.  I worked for weeks on both projects before giving up.  I'm not
> sure if the 6526 chip in the C64 just isn't capable of talking to those
> devices or if I'm just not interperating the protocols properly, or if my
> code just had bugs.  But unless I had a schematic and some sample code to
> work with.. I'll probably not try the TLC548.

Yes, I need to dig out my scanner but I'll get that done today.  Thanks for
the part numbers, I'm finding that Radio Shack no longer stocks some of them
and several are discontinued by manufactuor so I'm guessing at replacments.

I couldn't find the Thermister on DigiKey,  these guys seem to have several
pieces that will work

https://www.alliedelec.com/user/userlogin.asp?Source=billing.asp

I tried assembing a list of items from Radio Shack in their shopping cart
but had it just empty itself three times last night while I was searching
their catalog.  Very Frustrating.  I had to build a shopping cart for a
class I had several years ago and yea managing data across web pages is a
hassel but come on Radio Shack.  I sent their web monkey an email but doubt
I will hear back.

If anyone can come up with a current parts list I'd like to see it.  As it
stand now I will need to order a couple of items from DigiKey, Radio Shack,
Mouser, Allied, and maybe Ramsey.  I know they probably each have what I
need.  ARGGGGGGh.

thanks

thegoldbug

0
thegoldbug
4/24/2005 4:42:09 PM
"thegoldbug" <mpagel@prodigy.net> wrote in message

> "David Murray" <spamsucks@stopspam.com> wrote in message
> > "thegoldbug" <mpagel@prodigy.net> wrote in news:YiCae.2351$B25.1655
> > @newssvr31.news.prodigy.com:
> >
> > > TLC 548
> >
> > Do you think you could scan the page with the schematic for the
> temperature
> > sensing hardware?  If you can, email the page to adric22@yahoo.com
> >
> > Also, is there any code samples given with it as to how to decode the
> > serial data from this chip.  I looked at the datasheet for it.  It is
nice
> > and small, and inexpensive.   but I sort of prefer the parallel chips as
> it
> > seems less complicated to read them.  I've tried interfacing my C64 to
two
> > serial devices recently.  One was a PS/2 keyboard the other was a serial
> > RAM chip.  I worked for weeks on both projects before giving up.  I'm
not
> > sure if the 6526 chip in the C64 just isn't capable of talking to those
> > devices or if I'm just not interperating the protocols properly, or if
my
> > code just had bugs.  But unless I had a schematic and some sample code
> > work with.. I'll probably not try the TLC548.
> >

> Yes, I need to dig out my scanner but I'll get that done today.  Thanks
for
> the part numbers, I'm finding that Radio Shack no longer stocks some of
them
> and several are discontinued by manufactuor so I'm guessing at
replacments.

> I couldn't find the Thermister on DigiKey,  these guys seem to have
several
> pieces that will work
>
> https://www.alliedelec.com/user/userlogin.asp?Source=billing.asp
>
> I tried assembing a list of items from Radio Shack in their shopping cart
> but had it just empty itself three times last night while I was searching
> their catalog.  Very Frustrating.  I had to build a shopping cart for a
> class I had several years ago and yea managing data across web pages is a
> hassel but come on Radio Shack.  I sent their web monkey an email but
doubt
> I will hear back.
>
> If anyone can come up with a current parts list I'd like to see it.  As it
> stand now I will need to order a couple of items from DigiKey, Radio
Shack,
> Mouser, Allied, and maybe Ramsey.  I know they probably each have what I
> need.  ARGGGGGGh.
>
> thanks
>
> thegoldbug

I scanned those pages as BMPs (2.1mb) and then converted to JPG (150k).

Anyone else like those pages?

thegoldbug

0
thegoldbug