Expiration dates of sealed CANON printer cartridges

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I just bought a sealed CANON BC21 color printer cartridge and can't
find an expiration date on the box.  On the bottom flap is stamped
"C10A30".  Is the expiration date encoded in this?

0
Reply r_u_sure (108) 8/7/2007 1:32:10 AM

See related articles to this posting

rusure wrote:
> I just bought a sealed CANON BC21 color printer cartridge and can't
> find an expiration date on the box.  On the bottom flap is stamped
> "C10A30".  Is the expiration date encoded in this?

I don't think Canon cartridges have expiry dates on them.
0
Reply Ulysses777 8/7/2007 9:41:06 PM

On Aug 7, 2:41 pm, Ulysses777 <oh...@you.dont> wrote:
> rusure wrote:
>
> I don't think Canon cartridges have expiry dates on them.

I don't think Canon cartridges have anything to do with Commodore
Business Machines.
;-)

-Andrew
   ___
  / __|__   Cottonwood BBS
 / /  |_/   telnet://cottonwood.servebbs.com
 \ \__|_\   Open 24/7 -=- 50 Online Games!
  \___|     http://hometown.aol.com/cottonwoodbbs

0
Reply Andrew 8/9/2007 12:06:41 AM

On Aug 6, 6:32 pm, rusure <r_u_s...@mybluelight.com> wrote:
> I just bought a sealed CANON BC21 color printer cartridge and can't
> find an expiration date on the box.  On the bottom flap is stamped
> "C10A30".  Is the expiration date encoded in this?

Try this, to make sure it's OK still.

1.     Remove the protective strip from the bottom of the cartridge.
2.     Wet a paper towel (dampen) under HOT water, and hold on the
print head for only a few seconds
3.     If you see any black ink on the towel, you "probably" have a
cartridge that is mostly dried up, and will be un-useable

In this case, you should wrap the cartridge in a blanket of DAMP ( not
wet ! )   paper towel's ( like three of them ) and put them in the
micro-wave

Auto time the micro-wave to HIGH for 2 minutes....... you should see a
steady flow of ink in that time... if all is well, you have cleaned
the print head of the cartridge !!!!!!!!!!!   , and you will never be
able to cook in the micro-wave again..... unless you like "tinted"
popcorn.

0
Reply Rick 8/9/2007 3:37:22 AM

"Rick Youngman" wrote ...

> Try this, to make sure it's OK still.
>
> 1.     Remove the protective strip from the bottom of the cartridge.
> 2.     Wet a paper towel (dampen) under HOT water, and hold on the
> print head for only a few seconds
> 3.     If you see any black ink on the towel, you "probably" have a
> cartridge that is mostly dried up, and will be un-useable
>
> In this case, you should wrap the cartridge in a blanket of DAMP ( not
> wet ! )   paper towel's ( like three of them ) and put them in the
> micro-wave
>
> Auto time the micro-wave to HIGH for 2 minutes....... you should see a
> steady flow of ink in that time... if all is well, you have cleaned
> the print head of the cartridge !!!!!!!!!!!   , and you will never be
> able to cook in the micro-wave again..... unless you like "tinted"
> popcorn.

If the cartridge is a color cartridge, you might get RainBow (tm) popcorn!

I wonder if you can sell RainBow (tm) popcorn on eBay?

Or, will someone complain about your trademark infringement and have your
auction removed?
--
Best regards,

Sam Gillett

Out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes!

0
Reply Sam 8/9/2007 3:57:39 AM

On Aug 8, 6:06 pm, Andrew Wiskow <wis...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Aug 7, 2:41 pm, Ulysses777 <oh...@you.dont> wrote:
>
> > rusure wrote:
>
> > I don't think Canon cartridges have expiry dates on them.
>
> I don't think Canon cartridges have anything
> to do with Commodore Business Machines.

This cartridge is for the last printer made with an EPSON instruction
set and a CENTRONICS port that connects to
Commodore through 6 pin DIN serial port to CENTRONICS interface.

0
Reply rusure 8/9/2007 3:11:04 PM

On Aug 8, 9:37 pm, Rick Youngman <wl...@commspeed.net> wrote:
> Try this, to make sure it's OK still.
>
> 1.     Remove the protective strip from the bottom of the cartridge.
> 2.     Wet a paper towel (dampen) under HOT water, and hold on the
> print head for only a few seconds
> 3.     If you see any black ink on the towel, you "probably" have a
> cartridge that is mostly dried up, and will be un-useable
>
> In this case, you should wrap the cartridge in a blanket of DAMP ( not
> wet ! )   paper towel's ( like three of them ) and put them in the
> micro-wave
>
> Auto time the micro-wave to HIGH for 2 minutes....... you should see a
> steady flow of ink in that time... if all is well, you have cleaned
> the print head of the cartridge !!!!!!!!!!!   , and you will never be
> able to cook in the micro-wave again..... unless you like "tinted"
> popcorn.

I'll respond even if this message is a joke.  If I wanted a test that
broke the packaging, I would just install the cartridge in a printer
and run it.  Although Mr. Gillet is joking abouth RAINBOW popcorn on
EBAY, I want to sell the color cartridge on EBAY.  A cartridge with a
broken seal is worthless on EBAY.  Last year I had to move and
misplaced my CANON BJC4400 printer.  In addition, my PC's parallel
port doesn't work anyway.  I bought a cheap USB printer that came with
color and black cartridges.  The cartridges for the new printer had
expiration dates on their packaging.  I only use black cartridge so I
sold the color cartridge on EBAY.  I have since found my CANON and
connect it to my Commodore.  When I bought sealed CANON color & black
cartridges second hand, I thought I caould sell the color cartridge on
EBAY.  This plan is hindered since I can't find the cartridge
expiration date on its package.

0
Reply rusure 8/9/2007 3:50:47 PM

In news:1186672264.073217.176110@b79g2000hse.googlegroups.com,
rusure <r_u_sure@mybluelight.com> wrote:

> This cartridge is for the last printer made with an EPSON instruction
> set and a CENTRONICS port that connects to
> Commodore through 6 pin DIN serial port to CENTRONICS interface.

Out of curiosity, what model is it?  I first connected a BJ-200E to my 128,
and when the "platen" mechanism died, I replaced it with a BJ-200EX.  That
suffered a similar death, and I now have a BJC-240 hooked up.

Brian

Reply Brian 8/9/2007 5:16:33 PM

On Aug 9, 11:16 am, "Brian Ketterling" <tweel6...@no-potted-meat-
products-peoplepc.com> wrote:
> Innews:1186672264.073217.176110@b79g2000hse.googlegroups.com,
>
> rusure <r_u_s...@mybluelight.com> wrote:
> > This cartridge is for the last printer made with an EPSON
> > instruction set and a CENTRONICS port that connects to
> > Commodore through 6 pin DIN serial port to CENTRONICS interface.
>
> Out of curiosity, what model is it?  I first connected
> a BJ-200E to my 128, and when the "platen" mechanism
> died, I replaced it with a BJ-200EX.  That suffered
> a similar death, and I now have a BJC-240 hooked up.

I currently use and recomend a BJC 4400.  I originally bought it at a
garage sale for $5 because it had a color cartridge.  I thought I
would use the cartridge in my BJC 4000.  Elsewhere in this thread I
state that I don't use color cartridges, so the 4K died before I got
around to using the color cartridge.  In desparation, I connected the
4.4K and was amazed that it works better than the 4K.  4Ks are
terrific as long as the paper is standard 8.5 by 11 in good
condition.  When the paper length is less than 5", the 4K paper feeder
jams.  The 4.4K paper feeder is less fussy about the paper dimensions
or even the condition of the paper.  The 4.4K doesn't have the bank of
dip switches that are in the 4K.  I think I miss the control that the
4K dip switches give the printer user, but all and all, the 4.4K
operates more smoothly.  BJC 4400s frequently turn up in second hand
stores, and I would buy it if I were you.  You can still get
remanufactured cartridges through the internet, and last time I
looked, new cartridges were available at OFFICE DEPOT and OFFICE MAX.
I think the cartridge part #s are BCI(?) 20 and 21.  If you want a
black cartridge, make certain that you don't buy a black ink tank for
a color cartridge.  I intend to auction my BCI 21 color cartridge on
EBAY if youre interested.

0
Reply rusure 8/9/2007 7:09:25 PM

In news:1186686565.285690.158470@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com,
rusure <r_u_sure@mybluelight.com> wrote:

> I currently use and recomend a BJC 4400.

Is that because of reliability?

> BJC 4400s frequently turn up in second hand
> stores, and I would buy it if I were you.

If I spot one at Goodwill at a reasonable price (never know about them), I
might pick it up as a future replacement.

> You can still get
> remanufactured cartridges through the internet, and last time I
> looked, new cartridges were available at OFFICE DEPOT and OFFICE MAX.
> I think the cartridge part #s are BCI(?) 20 and 21.

Yes, I don't even have a printer that uses those cartridges, but I've
noticed them everywhere -- grocery stores, wherever.  The BCI-21, at least,
seems to be the standard Canon cartridge that everyone stocks.

Brian

Reply Brian 8/10/2007 2:56:45 AM

On Aug 9, 8:56 pm, "Brian Ketterling" <tweel6...@no-potted-meat-
products-peoplepc.com> wrote:
> Innews:1186686565.285690.158470@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com,
>
> rusure <r_u_s...@mybluelight.com> wrote:
> > I currently use and recomend a BJC 4400.
>
> Is that because of reliability?

The paper feeder for the BJC 4000 was not as well thought out as that
for the 4400.  If the paper deviated only slightly from out of the box
condition or if the dimensions were significantly less than the
standard 8.5 X 11, than the 4K paper feeder either jammed or the paper
entered the printer crooked.  The design of the 4.4K paper feeder is
superior to that of the 4K feeder, and is more likely to perform as
expected.

The BJC 4000 eventually stopped working.  I haven't used the BJC 4400
long enough to make any reliability (as in built to last) statements.
When the 4.4K is functioning as designed, its performance will be
superior to that of a fully functional 4K.

> > You can still get remanufactured cartridges through
> > the internet, and last time I looked, new cartridges
> > were available at OFFICE DEPOT and OFFICE MAX.  I
> > think the cartridge part #s are BCI(?) 20 and 21.
>
> Yes, I don't even have a printer that uses those
> cartridges, but I've noticed them everywhere -- grocery
> stores, wherever.  The BCI-21, at least, seems to
> be the standard Canon cartridge that everyone stocks.

The 21 is the color cartridge.  If the part # 21 is on an item
containing black ink, than the item is a tank with black ink, to be
used as one of the tanks in a color cartridge.  The warning at the end
of my last message was not taken by me when I bought my CANON items at
the second hand store.  My "new" black item is a 21 tank, for the
color cartridge.  I think you get a better deal for black printing
when you buy the BC(I?) 20 black cartridge.

0
Reply rusure 8/10/2007 5:06:44 AM
comp.sys.cbm 13735 articles. 12 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

FS: CANON (GENUINE, NEW/not used)

Dating of Canon inkjet cartridges
Thanks to responses to inquiries of eBay sellers, as well as my own past purchases, I have been able to decode the date of manufacture of Canon inkjet cartridges, at least for the BC-20 (large black cartridge), the BC-21 (color cartridge), and the BCI-21 ink tanks that go into the BC-21. I believe that the 7-character batch number stamped on the botton of the cardboard box contains the date of manufacture in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th characters. The 2nd character is the month, starting with 1 for January, running to 9 for September. October, November, and December are O, N, and D. Th...

Ink for refilling Canon printer cartridges
About 3-4 years ago I found out you can refill printer cartridges and found a Canadian company that sold refill kits & ink. I bought a pint bottle and am just now running out, but it's been so long I have lost their contact info. The labels and instruction sheets don't have their name or number. Since I've had such good luck with their ink, I'd like to buy from them again before trying out another company. Anybody recognize this company? I remain respectful and a little bit hongry, X Guv Bob http://www.geocities.com/guvbob2003 Represented in all slander...

two different kinds of cartridges for canon printers?
Hello, I'm sure this problem has been raised before, but I didn't find the answer when I googled for it, nor when I searched Canon's website, nor when I asked people in person. I have two Canon printers: the BJC-2000 and the BJC-4550. Both of them are supposed to take the BC-20 cartridge, which I have installed, and the BCI-21, which I have not. The problem is that the BCI-21 is very different in shape and size from the BC-20. The BCI-21, even when paired (color + black), is not quite a matchup to the BC-20. What's going on? Why do several diferent sou...

Followup on unknown ink cartridge expiration date
I haven't called Hp yet and that's a good thing. I bought a #10 large capacity black ink cartridge and it's date stamped on the outside of the package reads Dec 05. When I installed it the Hp tool box said Dec 6 2005. So far so good. Two days later it said June 12 2006. I wish I knew what's going on 'cause I could make a killing updating cartridges. mark_ ...

Various HP printer ink expiration dates analyzed
Q: What is the significance of the date printed on the HP ink PACKAGE? SINGAPORE MAY 2003 > Relevant Hewlett Packard ink cartridge dates are: > - The date HP manufactured the ink cartridge > - The date HP prints on the ink cartridge > - The date HP prints on the ink cartridge package consumer cardboard box > - The date HP printer cartridges are installed in the printer > - The date HP first stops printing (due to false "low ink" messages) > - The date HP usually stops printing (due to false "expiration" messages) > - The date HP actually stops p...

HP CP1700 printer has expired cartridges. Any way to hack this?
My HP CP1700 printer just stopped working because the cyan, magenta, and yellow cartridges just expired. They are still half full, and were printing great a day ago. This is just another one of HP's "rape the customer" tricks, and has earned them my black-ball for next time. Does anyone know if there is a way to defeat the expiration date in the cartridge? Thanks. ...

HP #10 ink cartridges expiration date unknown???
I bought 3 #10 cartridges for my last remaining HP printer (2000c). All three have an expiration date well into next year. Says so on the outside of their boxes. Yet the HP tool box says expiration date is unknown!! I pulled them out and put still useful cartridges in and their expiration dates show up. I put the new ones in and still no expiration date. Their ink levels also show as if they are about to run out. Well, I weighed a cartridge I knew for sure was totally empty and it weighed 1.5 oz. I weighed all three new cartridges and the results were 2.5, 2.3, and 2.5 oz. I talked w...

HP cartridge with 2001 expiration date -- still ok?
There's someone on ebay selling an HP 51645A cartridge cheap, turns out is has an expiration date of 10/2001. What are the odds that it will still work ok? I read a post here: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9220 which claims that HP cartridges have internal expiration dates, but I don't know that applies to the 45A cartridge. Bill If it's stiill sealed in the factory box, it should be fine. Everytime they send me a replacement 45A cartridge through our hardware support unit in work for the K80on my desk, they're atleast as old as 2001. I've yet to get one...

Canon Printer Cartridges -- Be Sure To Get The Right Ones!
I already posted about my problem -- I put in new cartridges, and suddenly the colors were messed up -- but the solution struck me as so unexpected -- the kind of thing that could trip other people up -- that I thought it's worth having an entire separate thread. I don't know if this can happen with other brands, but it turns out that Canon makes printers that use identically SHAPED ink cartridges, but where the cartridges are subtly different colors. For example, they have plain Cyan, Yellow, and Magenta; and then they also have PHOTO Cyan, PHOTO Yellow, and PHOTO Magenta....

Can a laser printer cartridge with an expired datecode be safely used?
I bought a laser printer cartridge from the web the other day, and found out that it had a date of manufacture of four years ago. Can this cartridge damage my printer? "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com> wrote in message news:Xrednfw1XuTJNhDUnZ2dnUVZ_tHinZ2d@giganews.com... >I bought a laser printer cartridge from the web the other day, and found >out that it had a date of manufacture of four years ago. Can this cartridge >damage my printer? > No. And if the cartridge was in a sealed bag, it should be good for another 2 - 3 years. I'...

Resetting expiration date HP CP1160 print cartridge (#14)
Anyone know a way to reset or disable the expiration date in the HP # 14 inkjet cartridge (HP CP1160 printer). Mine isn't old enough to be expired but just the same it is. Any information would be helpful. Thanks, John The expiry date is burned in to a microchip that is part of the uPC that is inside of the cartridge. This chip was programmed at the time of manufacture. It is not something you can change. This is unfortunate that someone cannot keep these cartridges in storage. They did this to prevent refilling. I was told that they discontinued this procedure for t...

Learning my lessons. Do Not Buy HP Printers. They has expiration dates
I'm learning my lessons. Do Not Buy HP Printers. They has expiration dates. The printers stop working once the date is up. Three color ink cartridges in my CP1700 are expired after I stock away the printer for about six months. If I had known it works like this, I would never get this one in the beginning. Hey HP, Very smart way of making money. But I'm buying generic ink cartridges instead of yours. On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 08:09:46 -0400, Estella <Estella@fixup.com> wrote: >I'm learning my lessons. Do Not Buy HP Printers. They has expiration >dates. The printer...

Canon Pixma printers: ink cartridges, print-head cleaners
I've just bought a Canon Pixma iP3000 printer and would like advice ink cartidges and print-head care. Considering costs for genuine Canon cartridges vs. generic it seems to me that the latter would be more cost effective - providing they don't ruin the printheads. And what about the print-head cleaning cartridges I've seen advertised. Do they work? If so, occasional use of these cleaning cartridges might make up for whatever risks using generic cartridges might entail. Or so I have been figuring. I'd appreciate advice from someone who has had experience with thes...

Can You Use those 7-Series Canon Cartridges in Printers Sold in the US?
In Japan, Canon sells the "Pixus" line of inkjets that looks the same on the outside as their American versions. For instance, the Pixus iP3100 looks like the iP3000, while the iP4100 looks like the iP4000. Of course, the 7-series ink is not even available here, but I was just wondering anyway. Are the cartridges interchangeable between the siblings? Thanks. ...

HP Printer Ink Expiration & Warranty Date Secret Decoder Ring
As far as I can tell from googling like crazy, here are the six HP printer ink relevant dates. Note that most people throw away the ink cartridge upon the first (false) expiration date. Only those who read the google record know that first end-of-service date can be overcome, giving the user an additional year or two of useful service. I post this by way of peer review so that the experts can correct where I make any mistake. 1. Manufacture date = date printed on ink cartridge minus 30 months 2. Installation date = hand written on ink cartridge when first installed 3. Install-by date = manuf...

does Canon have a printer that doesn't use a "FINE" cartridge?
Hello, i need to replace my second Canon printer and notice that the newer ones (Pixmas) have this "FINE" system. I don't need photo, just good color, and preferably an AIO type (one with a flatbed copier capability). Looked at an MP160, MP180, MP460.. They have this "FINE" cartridge system and I'd prefer as few cartridges as absolutely necessary... Anybody with an idea of a model still available that still uses the three-colors + 1-black cartridge configuration like the i series ones? Really appreciate any help you can suggest... Thanks!! Mike ...

my Canon printer won't let me select the black ink cartridge
I'd appreciate it if someone could help me with a problem I'm having with my Canon Pixma 250 printer. The colour cartridge has nearly run out, but the black and white cartridge still has plenty of ink in it. As I only want to print out some letters, I've tried selecting 'use black ink cartridge only' (or whatever the wording is). But then when I try to print, I get a message that looks something like this: "This document will print using the following cartridge: COLOR Your over-ride command has been disabled" This isn't the exact wor...

Printer Ink

Most Popular Canon Toner, Canon Ink Cartridges, Canon Ribbons
The Buy Toner Online sells Canon Brands Toners, Ink cartridges and Ribbons. The Buy Toner Online is an ISO 9001&140001 certified online shopping site, which provides 100 percent unconditional guarantee to the products it sells. The Buy Online Toner displays top selling products separately to enable the customer to choose their product easily without confusion. Buy Toner online sales by major Canon products are below: BJ Printers Canon BJ 5 Canon BJ 10 Canon BJ 100 Canon BJ 20 Canon BJ 200 Canon BJ 230 BJC printers Canon BJC 1000 Canon BJC 1010 Canon BJ...

HP printer vs. Canon printer