file exists / file not found

While playing with some code for another thread, I discovered that
among the BASIC language diagnostics was the text FILE NOT FOUND.
I am unable to find FILE EXISTS among the BASIC diagnostics.  When
I attempt a load of a non existent file, the drive error light
blinks and the system issues a FILE NOT FOUND diagnostic.  When
I try to save data with a name of a file already on the disk,
the drive error light blinks but no diagnostic is issued by the
system.  In both cases, the drive needs to be queried to retrieve
the drive's diagnostic and to stop the drive error light from
blinking.  I have always been annoyed by the requirement to query
the drive for a second FILE NOT FOUND error when I already know
the nature of the problem.  I can't get 1571 & 1581 drives to do
BURST loads while they are blinking.  The first FILE NOT FOUND
orignates in the BASIC language, not from the drive.

Now I want to know why I want to load my 191 sector word
processor using non BURST methods just because I made a typo.
0
r_u_sure

Paul Rosenzweig wrote ...

>While playing with some code for another thread, I discovered that
>among the BASIC language diagnostics was the text FILE NOT FOUND.
>I am unable to find FILE EXISTS among the BASIC diagnostics.  When
>I attempt a load of a non existent file, the drive error light
>blinks and the system issues a FILE NOT FOUND diagnostic.  When
>I try to save data with a name of a file already on the disk,
>the drive error light blinks but no diagnostic is issued by the
>system.  In both cases, the drive needs to be queried to retrieve
>the drive's diagnostic and to stop the drive error light from
>blinking.  I have always been annoyed by the requirement to query
>the drive for a second FILE NOT FOUND error when I already know
>the nature of the problem.  I can't get 1571 & 1581 drives to do
>BURST loads while they are blinking.  The first FILE NOT FOUND
>orignates in the BASIC language, not from the drive.
>
>Now I want to know why I want to load my 191 sector word
>processor using non BURST methods just because I made a typo.

If you are in C128 mode, just type "?DS$" and RETURN.  This should reset the
drive so that you can load your word processor normally using burst mode.

Best regards,

Sam Gillett aka Mars Probe @ Starship Intrepid 1-972-221-4088

0
Sam
11/13/2003 4:35:06 PM
"Paul Rosenzweig" <r_u_sure@mybluelight.com> wrote in message
> While playing with some code for another thread, I discovered that
> among the BASIC language diagnostics was the text FILE NOT FOUND.
> I am unable to find FILE EXISTS among the BASIC diagnostics.  When

Yes... CBM Disk Drives have brains, A Datasette does not.

Now. Thinking of a cassette tape. Being a sequential device, you can have
many files of the same name on the same tape. This is why there is no
provision for a file exists error.

0
Dancin