Help! Pair of dead SX64's

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I have a pair of SX64's here, and would quite like to fix one (due to case
/ keyboard damage and only having one keyboard, it's probably only viable
to get one going)

Machine A shows signs of life - the disk drive light comes on and stays
on, with the drive spinning forever. The display shows an alternate
pattern of black and white pixels, apart from a run of about ten pixels in
the centre-bottom that are all black. Occasionally if I power it up I get
random cycling noises out of the speaker, and/or coloured garbage on the
screen.

Hitting reset shows no sign of doing anything.

+5V and +12V lines look good, and I've tried reseating all socketed chips
and checking cables.

Machine B is totally dead - no sign of life whatsoever. Other than
checking the fuse I haven't done anything else, but before I spend hours
digging around in the PSU, is there a common fault with the power supplies
in these machines?

Any ideas? Oh, and just to be sure, I can expect a correct display without
a keyboard necessarily plugged in, right? (it's easier to work on the
bench without the keyboard getting in the way!).

Of course I don't know the history of these machines. Someone could have
poured a bucket of water on them for all I know... (nor do I know anything
about CBM hardware)

cheers

Jules

0
Reply Jules 7/18/2004 3:07:41 PM

See related articles to this posting

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004, Jules wrote:

> Machine A shows signs of life - the disk drive light comes on and stays
> on, with the drive spinning forever. The display shows an alternate
> pattern of black and white pixels, apart from a run of about ten pixels in
> the centre-bottom that are all black. Occasionally if I power it up I get
> random cycling noises out of the speaker, and/or coloured garbage on the
> screen.
>
> Hitting reset shows no sign of doing anything.

 	Sounds like the PLA chip has died.  Ray Carlsen has just repaired
two SX-64's for me, and both had the same problems and the same solution
-- PLA replacement.

> Machine B is totally dead - no sign of life whatsoever. Other than
> checking the fuse I haven't done anything else, but before I spend hours
> digging around in the PSU, is there a common fault with the power supplies
> in these machines?

 	I can't help you with this one.  Raj Wurttemberg or Ray Carlsen
would know better.

> Any ideas? Oh, and just to be sure, I can expect a correct display without
> a keyboard necessarily plugged in, right? (it's easier to work on the
> bench without the keyboard getting in the way!).

 	Yes, you don't need the keyboard for it to display (unlike a PC).

 					Truly,
 					Robert Bernardo
 					Fresno Commodore User Group
 					http://videocam.net.au/fcug
0
Reply Robert 7/18/2004 5:52:01 PM
comp.sys.cbm 13814 articles. 13 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Help! Pair of dead SX64's
I have a pair of SX64's here, and would quite like to fix one (due to case / keyboard damage and only having one keyboard, it's probably only viable to get one going) Machine A shows signs of life - the disk drive light comes on and stays on, with the drive spinning forever. The display shows an alternate pattern of black and white pixels, apart from a run of about ten pixels in the centre-bottom that are all black. Occasionally if I power it up I get random cycling noises out of the speaker, and/or coloured garbage on the screen. Hitting reset shows no sign of doing anything. +5V ...

Help Help Help Help Help
please,help us . we have a seious problem, we are designing a radio controlled car that is guided by the PC, to send the data wireless between the PC and the Car and vice versa. we use 2 transmitter/reciever circuits from 2 seperate radio controlled car each running with a different frequency (27 MHz & 40 MHz)and modify the functionality of each to do the disered work. but on mounting a transmitter(40MHz) and reciever(27MHz) on the car, and attach another transmitter(27MHz) and reciever(40MHz) to the PC; we found that on sending signals from the car to the PC on the transmitter & rec...

help!help!help!help!
I am a student.I am going to make a simulation of a robot (FANUC Robot M-16iB) under the matlab\simulink environment . It is a normal 6DOF robot.I want to realize any angle and any speed (under the max speed) and any position and orientation control. As I just starting to do this new field,I have no experience about it. Can you give me some simulation demo or examples for 6DOF robot? I am very eager to get these.Please write back to me as soon as possible,thank you! Sincerely, Connie        zhanglijuan920@sohu.c...

Help!! Help!! Help!!
I wish to vectorize the following code: s = tf('s'); W = logspace(-1,2,50); COMBINATION = combn(W, 2); K = cell(length(COMBINATION), 1); K0 = 1 + (1/(2*s)) + 0.5*s/(0.2*s + 1); % PID controller to be approximated as PI gapValue = zeros(length(COMBINATION), 1); for i = 1:length(COMBINATION) K{i} = (COMBINATION(i,1)*(1 + (1/(COMBINATION(i,2)*s)))); % PI controller end for i = 1:length(COMBINATION) gapValue(i,1) = gapmetric(K0, K{i}); end where K0 is the Nominal transfer function and K is a cell array including transfer functions whose gap metric from K0 are...

Help, Help, Help...
Hei! Im makin a hot INVADERS game with Java but im a newbie with language, so , question is how do i use KeyPressed () function... I hav Applet Runnable... -!Hei!- Here is my problem... public class TestinKeys extends Applet implements Runnable .... .... public void run () { while ( true ) { KeyEvent ke; if ( ke.getKeyChar() == 'a' ) g_TykkiX ++; .... .... What is Wrong, im tryin to make that Invaders game but i dont know how to read keyboard with Runnable Java code... JariTapio <JariTapio@pp.inet.fi> wrote: > publi...

Help Help Help
Hello, I am a reluctant user of the website ntsearch.com. I accidentally download a Java program called "dict" from an ebook website to my XP and now every English words that I read from my computer has got a link with your web. I found it very frustrating when I noticed all the chinese characters I read from the web now become loads of question marks. I think it has a link with the program that I accidentally downloaded from that ebook website. How can I remove the so called "dict" program and other Java Scripts from my computer? This is very urgent and please answer my ...

help help help
I need to refresh my C knowledge quickly. I will be reading code for simple industrial type controls like motor controllers, valve drivers, etc This software is pretty simple, 3000 lines max. The executable is embedded in flash on the processor chip. Actually I haven't seen it yet. I haven't looked at C or done any programming in ages. I'm looking for a simple programming suite that will run on my WinXP (NTFS) computer. Something that doesn't take really long to get up to speed with. Simple is better. I just need to practice and remember and do some simple experi...

HELP HELP HELP...
Hi everybody there. I have created a GUI in MATLAB's guide application. In the GUI I am appearing on the screen a frame from a camera by pushing a button. My problem that sometimes the application works fine, but some others something is going wrong and I get the following error message: ??? Assignment has more non-singleton rhs dimensions than non-singleton subscripts Error in ==> LEDsFinal>txtGrabFrame_Callback at 164 A(width, i, Blue) = abs(fread(portCMU, 1, 'uint8'))/255; What does the error message mean? What seems to be the problem? How can I overco...

[...]

hi all im new to linux can anyone tell me the best place to get some help installing programs in linux or best books to read -- --------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final Web @ http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet ------------------- ----- ---- -- - peteware wrote: > hi all im new to linux can anyone tell me the best place to get some > help installing programs in linux or best books to read > > > -- > --------------------------------- --- -- - > Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final > Web @ http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet > -...

help! help!! help!!!
x=[0 1 10] p=[100 80] how can I get A A=[3x(1) 2x(1) x(1) 1 0 0 0 0; 2x(1) x(1) 1 0 0 0 0 0; 3x(2) 2x(2) x(2) 1 -3x(2) -2x(2) -x(2) -1; 2x(2) x(2) 1 0 -2x(2) -x(2) -1 0; p(1)x(1) p(1) 0 0 -p(2)x(2) -p(2) 0 0; p(1) 0 0 0 -p(2) 0 0 0; 0 0 0 0 -p(2)x(3) -p(2) 0 0; 0 0 0 0 -p(3) 0 0 0; ] In article <fkus3t$11h$1@fred.mathworks.com>, Jim lei <redlightlike@mathworks.com> wrote: >x=[0 1 10] >p=[100 80] >how can I get ...

HELP HELP HELP
Hello everyone, I am a freshmen at a computer university and also new to C++ . I havent used C before either but been through PASCAL and GW-BASIC. Can someone please tell me the link to download the C++ compiler which can run on my Windows XP Professional Edition. Thanks. ByE. Yours forever in Digital Paradise uSmAn could have typed what u wanted in google. "Usman" <game_pk@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:buobgo$kaacm$1@ID-217624.news.uni-berlin.de... > Hello everyone, > I am a freshmen at a computer university and also new to C++ . I havent used > C before eit...

dead dead dead
I have a rm a10 laptop. It has just died, no activity whatsoever. If the battery is dead should it still work on the power supply, cos it dosn't. Any ideas? Try removing the battery and running off of the PS. Regards, hawk crispy wrote: > I have a rm a10 laptop. It has just died, no activity whatsoever. If the > battery is dead should it still work on the power supply, cos it dosn't. > Any ideas? tried that. Still dead "hawk" <hawk@spamex.com> wrote in message news:vluiaekpbcbk74@corp.supernews.com... > Try removing the battery and running off of ...

Help Help Help
Q1 I want to know how to show the 8 bit planes of the image?? Q2 And also find edges of image by showing both edge magnitude and direction?? ...

help! help!! help!!! me
hello if x=linspace(1,100,n); p=linspace(100,80,n-1); how can I get A A=[ x(1) 1 0 0 0 0 0 0...0 0; x(2) 1 -x(2) -1 0 0 0 0...0 0; p(1) 0 -p(2) 0 0 0 0 0...0 0; 0 0 x(3) 1 -x(3) -1 0 0...0 0; 0 0 p(2) 0 -p(3) 0 0 0...0 0; 0 0 0 0 x(4) 1 -x(4) -1...0 0; 0 0 0 0 p(3) 0 -p(4) 0...0 0; ....................................... 0 0 0 0 0 0...x(i) 1 -x(i) -1...0 0; 0 0 0 0 0 0...p(i-1) 0 -p(i-1) 0 ...0 0; ......................................... 0 0 0 0 0 0....x(n-1) 1 -x(n-1) -1; 0 0 0 0 0 0....p(n-2) 0 -p(n-1) 0; 0 0 0 0 0 0.... 0 0 p(n-1) 0; ] "Jim lei" <redlightlike@mathworks.c...

HELP! HELP! HELP
I hope someone out there can solve my mysterious problem. I have tried everything imaginable, even paid $35 to Microsoft to help me, but they were not able to figure out this problem: Here is the problem: I recently created a new database in Access 2002. I took data from an > access 97 database converted one of the tables to access 2002 and then > imported it into a new table in access 2002. but for some strange > reason, every once in a while the data changes to Japanese characters, > it only happens once in a while, but once it happens that record is > lost. i have tried...

Help, Help, Help
As you can probably gather im in need of help. I started a basic JAVA course a week ago as it seems like a very interesting subject. The problem in having is with the IDE we have been asked to use. We are using JCreator, but in order for it to work, we are required to install the Java software development kit and a class library which comes with the course book called avi with is a audio visual interface library which is supposed to make it easier for us to learn the fundimentals of JAVA without having to worry about the input/output. Anyways, I have installed the JAVA SDK from SUN website...

HELP-HELP-HELP!!!!!!!!!!
On this site par example: http://communications.siemens.com/cds/frontdoor/0,2241,nl_nl_0_27443_rArNrNrNrN,00.html u have a 3d animation, like many other sites...but if i want to see this a new window opens and i see a icon with ared cross in it. also on sites with games i see this... What is my problem? I have winXP-Pro firewall is out and sec. is on low..... twan1@home.nl (Twan) writes: > On this site par example: > http://communications.siemens.com/cds/frontdoor/0,2241,nl_nl_0_27443_rArNrNrNrN,00.html > u have a 3d animation, like many other sites...but if i want to...

Not so dead, *dead*, DEAD!
AMD Licenses Rambus Memory Patents http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1907477,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532 Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services ---------------------------------------------------------- ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY ** ---------------------------------------------------------- http://www.usenet.com On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 11:14:35 -0500, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67@yahoo.com> wrote: >AMD Licenses Rambus Memory Patents >http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1907477,00.asp?kc=ETRSS0...

help help help
Sir, Am Avinash.T.J doing my btech AMRITA ...

HELP! HELP! HELP!
We are currently running R83 v3.1m (33 user) on an old 200 Mhz Pentium with 16Mb Mem and 2.x gif HD (the actual partition is smaller) We have run this for a number of years without ANY significant problems. Last week (just as my family was in the middle of "the move from Hell") the system decides to take a major dump. A bad link of some sort in the ABS area. THEN - the systems disks have disappeared. After much screaming and gnashing of teeth I got the system running again. OH! did I mention that the previous evenings file save tape was bad? Anyhow, the bo...

HELP HELP HELP
Hi! All, I am an Interactive Media Designer and know very less about asp but the basic concept behind. I got to make an online test(Exam) in asp which has a login (frm access database) panel. Can any one direct me to a free source so that I can simply pick the project and customize it. Thnaks in Advance Raj.Design In article <1112007306.454441.207430@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, raj.design@gmail.com enlightened us with... > Hi! All, > I am an Interactive Media Designer and know very less about asp but the > basic concept behind. I got to make an online te...

Help! Help! Help!
My daughter has a Dell 2300 that is coincidentally 1 month past the warranty. It will start up and shut off within 1 minute. It doesn't matter if I boot from hard drive, floppy, go into safe mode, or go to setup screen. I don't know how to try to isolate the problem. (Mother board, power supply etc.) Any suggestions? sogs wrote: > My daughter has a Dell 2300 that is coincidentally 1 month past the > warranty. It will start up and shut off within 1 minute. It doesn't > matter if I boot from hard drive, floppy, go into safe mode, or go to > setup screen....

HELP: Dead mainboard, dead CPU, or...?
I got home today and found that my main PC (Intel 2.8E on an Abit IC7-G mainboard) was off. Attempted to power it up - nothing. Weird. Up until now, this system has been rock solid since I built it in March. I popped the hood and looked (and smelled) � didn't smell anything scorched � and the green LED was lit on the motherboard, so it appeared to be getting at least some juice. Yanked the power cord, waited a minute, and tried again � the CPU and Northbridge fan twitched a bit, but still no dice. Tried unplugging the PS and resetting the CMOS jumper � still no go. I suspe...