Help! Pair of dead SX64's

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I have a pair of SX64's here, and would quite like to fix one (due to case
/ keyboard damage and only having one keyboard, it's probably only viable
to get one going)

Machine A shows signs of life - the disk drive light comes on and stays
on, with the drive spinning forever. The display shows an alternate
pattern of black and white pixels, apart from a run of about ten pixels in
the centre-bottom that are all black. Occasionally if I power it up I get
random cycling noises out of the speaker, and/or coloured garbage on the
screen.

Hitting reset shows no sign of doing anything.

+5V and +12V lines look good, and I've tried reseating all socketed chips
and checking cables.

Machine B is totally dead - no sign of life whatsoever. Other than
checking the fuse I haven't done anything else, but before I spend hours
digging around in the PSU, is there a common fault with the power supplies
in these machines?

Any ideas? Oh, and just to be sure, I can expect a correct display without
a keyboard necessarily plugged in, right? (it's easier to work on the
bench without the keyboard getting in the way!).

Of course I don't know the history of these machines. Someone could have
poured a bucket of water on them for all I know... (nor do I know anything
about CBM hardware)

cheers

Jules

0
Reply Jules 7/18/2004 3:07:41 PM

See related articles to this posting

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004, Jules wrote:

> Machine A shows signs of life - the disk drive light comes on and stays
> on, with the drive spinning forever. The display shows an alternate
> pattern of black and white pixels, apart from a run of about ten pixels in
> the centre-bottom that are all black. Occasionally if I power it up I get
> random cycling noises out of the speaker, and/or coloured garbage on the
> screen.
>
> Hitting reset shows no sign of doing anything.

 	Sounds like the PLA chip has died.  Ray Carlsen has just repaired
two SX-64's for me, and both had the same problems and the same solution
-- PLA replacement.

> Machine B is totally dead - no sign of life whatsoever. Other than
> checking the fuse I haven't done anything else, but before I spend hours
> digging around in the PSU, is there a common fault with the power supplies
> in these machines?

 	I can't help you with this one.  Raj Wurttemberg or Ray Carlsen
would know better.

> Any ideas? Oh, and just to be sure, I can expect a correct display without
> a keyboard necessarily plugged in, right? (it's easier to work on the
> bench without the keyboard getting in the way!).

 	Yes, you don't need the keyboard for it to display (unlike a PC).

 					Truly,
 					Robert Bernardo
 					Fresno Commodore User Group
 					http://videocam.net.au/fcug
0
Reply Robert 7/18/2004 5:52:01 PM
comp.sys.cbm 13668 articles. 12 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Help! Pair of dead SX64's
I have a pair of SX64's here, and would quite like to fix one (due to case / keyboard damage and only having one keyboard, it's probably only viable to get one going) Machine A shows signs of life - the disk drive light comes on and stays on, with the drive spinning forever. The display shows an alternate pattern of black and white pixels, apart from a run of about ten pixels in the centre-bottom that are all black. Occasionally if I power it up I get random cycling noises out of the speaker, and/or coloured garbage on the screen. Hitting reset shows no sign of doing anything. +5V ...

HELP: Dead mainboard, dead CPU, or...?
I got home today and found that my main PC (Intel 2.8E on an Abit IC7-G mainboard) was off. Attempted to power it up - nothing. Weird. Up until now, this system has been rock solid since I built it in March. I popped the hood and looked (and smelled) � didn't smell anything scorched � and the green LED was lit on the motherboard, so it appeared to be getting at least some juice. Yanked the power cord, waited a minute, and tried again � the CPU and Northbridge fan twitched a bit, but still no dice. Tried unplugging the PS and resetting the CMOS jumper � still no go. I suspe...

Falcon - ram dead and HDD dead
Hi, Been some time since I used my falc. Last night, after downloading a new SCSI-ethernet driver via Windoze, I tried to transfer over to my falc. On powering up the falc, I was greeted by a blank screen. There was slight click when I pressed the reset button but still blank screen. Slowly, I removed devices from it (removal of HDD and floppy as well) but blank screen persisted. Last item was to replace the 3rd party 14MB ram card with the original 4MB ram card, I finally got my Fuji logo :-) However, my nvram was reset, clock reset and HDD still cannot be detected. The questi...

DEAD MAC!
Hey Group... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! My home computer just died this past weekend....It's a Mac G3 Desktop 266mHz upgraded with a MAXpowr Newertechnology 400mHz G4 card. It's running OS 9.2.2 and has a maximum of 192 MB RAM. I've added a USB card, an IXMicro video card and everything has been working great with this setup for over a year... Then in just the past week it started freezing up for no reason...doing very mundane tasks, even on startups...Saturday morning I ran Norton's and TechTool Pro and both found only very minor problems that were fixed...

Help my 49G+ is dead
Hello, today I turned on my 49G+ and after some not normal flikker on the screen it was totally frosen with the screen turned on but no contact with the keyboard. I then tried to change batteries because it were time and I thought that it might solve the problem but since it has been totaly dead. Does anyone have some suggestions on how to wake it up again? I have tried the reset button with no succes. Morten Morten Olesen wrote: > Hello, > > today I turned on my 49G+ and after some not normal flikker on the > screen it was totally frosen with the screen turned on but no contac...

Dead Falcon, Help!
I have a Falcon with a CT60. All was well except for some disk corruption problems when using the CT60, so I decided to remove my clock patch and do the installation with solders. I must have damaged something, as with or without the CT60 I get horizontal scrolling lines when I boot most of the time. When I can get it to boot to the desktop, Aniplayer will not play video as it did before. It says "out of CVID memory." I've tested a few other things and they did work as normal. I reverted the installation back to where it was before (removed the ribbon cable and re-connected...

Help diagnosing a SX64..
Hiya. Right now, I'm in the US for a long overdue holliday with my girlfriend. Upon arrival, she surprised me with an SX64, which was unfortunately DOA. Supposedly, the unit got stored in working condition a few years ago, but had died upon retrieval. I'm having a hard time troubleshooting this beast; it's showing some mode of failure I have never encountered before. The fact that I don't have a known-to-be-good C64 lying around which I could use to swap components with isn't really helping. In fact, my diagnostic tools are limited to a DVM. Maybe somebody else can hel...

Help
Went to switch on the Atari this morning and was greeted by a black screen. Some times the screen is red, and other times it is accompanied by a single tone, but it never gets any further. Any ideas where to start looking (apart for on eBay for a new XEGS!)? Many thanks group! dunxuk@aol.commercial (Duncan Ross) wrote in message news:<20030808101948.23687.00001706@mb-m27.aol.com>... > Went to switch on the Atari this morning and was greeted by a black screen. > Some times the screen is red, and other times it is accompanied by a single > tone, but it never gets an...

Help...Dead 5!
I suppose I should have done something when the back light stopped working! I ignored it! Now, the screen has gone totally bonkers! I'm thinking the dreaded ribbon cable has gone tits akimbo! Mind you, it's already been replaced once! Luckily, I've managed to do a BACK UP. So, what I want to know is, what should I get? The main thing I need, apart from the usual Psiony things, is the ability to convert 6yrs of agenda files!! I've heard he Sony Clie PEG TG50 is a good machine. Any thoughts? I need to move quickly...can't do without for long!! ...

Seagate dead
Hi, I usually do small time data recovery stuff for friends... Now, this time Ive got a Seagate 80GB HDD which fails to detect in the BIOS. My data recovery tools wouldnt be of much help unless i get the HDD to detect in BIOS. I hv tried... diff jumper positions, IDE connectors / cables but to invain. The HDD power on...there some clicking sound tho...its feels like its attempting to read but fails...after a few trials(clicking noises) it stops...until i restart my machine. I believe that there are a few HDD detection tools...can someone suggest any? Im using Data Recover...

DEAD MAXTOR! HELP!
Two year old son played hopscotch with brand new Maxtor 3200 200 GB external HD, recently loaded with all files and backups from my hp pavilion zd8000 laptop, including precious pictures and movies. Laptop recently formatted and OS reinstalled, due to numerous irreparable conflicts from my 8 year old downloading video trials! I guess I should have backed up my back up. When it fell off the table, it fell onto the usb connector, which is now 1/4 inch recessed (crammed) into the body of Drive. I know this, as I bought 2 external Maxtors - one for each laptop, and the other is seat...

Dead G5 Help
We have a Mac G5 (out of warranty) that stopped booting. Swapped RAM, checked the web, nothing. We then took the machine (without the monitor, which is powered by the G5) to a local repair shop. Later that week, they called, said the machine was up and running fine. We payed them, brought the machine home, plugged in THE MONITOR and all the rest. Wouldn't boot. Next I brought the machine, sans monitor to a trusted friend, who called back and said after running some diagnostics, he had it up and running. (both of these people used a traditional powered CRT) Brought it home, plugged it into ...

SX64 UK repair.. help!
Hi, About a year ago I bought an SX64 on Ebay. It didn't work when I received it, but I (supidly!) kept it thinking I could get it working easily.. 12 months later I'm still swapping chips, cleaning and re-seating things and still have the same fault it came to me with! So I'm giving up and asking, is there anybody in the UK who is willing to have a look at it for me? If not a repair company, then an individual who knows more than I do.. The two faults seem to be, on start up, I get only a blank screen with border, and the display is in monochrome. Reading the SX64 repair doc o...

Help: Dead Dell Notebook
I have a very sick Dell Inspiron 5000e (out of warranty) which won't start, and wonder if anyone has any idea if there could be anything simple I could try to get it going. For a few weeks, sometimes when loading Windows it would just stop loading and stop where it was. I would have to hold down the power button to restart it, but it would then reboot and load. Once Windows was loaded it worked fine. I assumed this was a Windows loading problem, and it might not be at all related to what is hapening today. Today, after it had been working fine, I tried to turn it back on and it stops lo...

Help diagnose dead //e?
I recently pulled my old Apple //e out of storage and the three shoe boxes = of disks to archive data via ADT. Everything worked great until I left it r= unning unattended for 3 hours. It looked frozen and Control-Reset wouldn't = do anything. It seems like the machine was freezing up but is now frozen. After the firs= t failure, I was able to turn off the machine for a bit and then it'd work = for a bit, but then it'd freeze again. Sometimes I'd see the "Apple //e" bo= ot banner but nothing, or just a blank screen. Sometimes I'd get to a promp= t and it...

My iMac is dead and I killed it! Help!!
I have a G4/LCD iMac (800Mhz/15"). I have been running out of hard drive space and so decided to try to upgrade the internal drive. I found instructions for upgrade here at xlr8yourmac.com: (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/iMac_g4/imacg4_takeapart.html) I've upgraded many a Mac before and this didn't seem to hard. I followed the instructions exactly and everything went smoothly, that is, until I put everything back together and tried to boot it up. Nothing. Nada. Not even a "boing" of a startup sound or a whir of a fan or drive. Silence. Complete si...

Need help with dead 41C
A friend gave me a 41C (with box and manuals, no batteries). I bought 4 N cells (from RadioShack), and when I put them in and pressed on, NOTHING. The display remains completely blank. I have tried reversing the batteries (my initial assumption was that the end of the battery pointing in should be the same as the label on the battery case) to no avail. Is there anything else I should try to resuscitate this 41C? TIA Martin Cohen Try to ask the question there: http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/hpmuseum/forum.cgi They love the 41. Arnaud I seem to recall an issue with my old ...

Need help from an sx64 owner
Hey guys. I need an exact diagonal measurement of the visible portion of the sx 64 screen for a project i'm thinking of undertaking. (I know it's a 5" tube, but i just need the visible area) (IE the area of the CRT not covered by plastic). Thanks!! Looks like it is 5" visible, I guess the tube is slightly larger than 5"... Larry Teknical wrote: > Hey guys. I need an exact diagonal measurement of the visible portion of > the > sx 64 screen for a project i'm thinking of undertaking. (I know it's a 5" > tube, but i just need the visible ar...

Help with dead palm IIIC
Hi Guys, I have a Palm IIIC that was working perfectly and has been sitting in my cupboard for about 3-4 months and hasn't been switched on in this time. The other day I tried to turn it on and it was dead (I assumed it would be) however when I put it on the charger it wouldn't take a charge. The charge light (red led on top) would only stay on for about 5-10 secs and then go off. The unit operates fine when on the cradle but as soon as it is taken off it is dead. Any ideas? And if it is a dead battery, anyone know of a place for replacements? Thanks in advance! Cameron It&#...

audio input dead... HELP
I tried to record a mockingbird with my mic this morning. There was a lot of noise and the bird sound was faint and poor quality. So i tried re-recording it. Nothing... except some low-end noise and a faint 1MHz hum with overtones at 2, 3, etc. MHz I normally record thru iMic USB so i plugged the mic into the back of the mac... same problem. The sound pref pane shows no input response from either iMic or Line In. I've rebooted a few times... no help. I logged in as another user... nothing. I'm out of ideas. I NEED my mic for communicating thru Skype. I'm desperate. Help p...

Dead T3
My T3 seems to have died a sudden death...All was well two nights ago, when I synched up with my desktop. Went to a holiday concert two nights ago and put away my T3 when I retired for the evening. The next morning, I tried to turn on T3 but nothing showed up on the screen...just blank. Tapping the 5 keys in the front provided no response either. Jammed the power button as hard as I could but no response (funny design on the power button, eh?). I figured that I might have hit the voice recorder accidentally the previous night and must have drained the battery. Popped the T3 into the cradle fo...

help with dead HP Laptop
My son's HP N5415 laptop has stopped working. He was using it, and it locked up. Upon rebooting, the power LED came on for about 3-5 seconds and went off. After 3-5 seconds it came on and then went off again. I found that the grill for the cpu fan was blocked. Feeling the cpu probably had overheated, I obtained a replacement motherboard and cpu. I fixed the blockage, but the same symptoms were present. I replaced the switchboard, and still the same. The computer did start to boot once, but locked up. If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd appreciate the input. Dave Dave Ma...

Help..iBook G4 dead
I just closed the cover of my iBook and noticed no pulsing light. I opened and nothing. Hit the power key and still nothing. Is there any sort of re-set on this machine that is kept a secret? Or, any suggestions at all. Michael On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, G. Michael Paine wrote: > I just closed the cover of my iBook and noticed no pulsing light. I > opened and nothing. Hit the power key and still nothing. > > Is there any sort of re-set on this machine that is kept a secret? > Or, any suggestions at all. > > Michael > Do you have a spare power adapter you could try to rul...

floppy dead, please help
While trying to install SCSI HDD&CD into Amiga 4000, green screen appeared. Then I took everything off the motherboard and put it back again. No more green screen, but floppy doesnt boot at all (tried with 100%working FDD). Command dir df0: returns error "Not a DOS disk". Can I connect A500 external floppy to A4000? If you know what might be wrong, please tell me; I'm down :-(. Hello Orange > While trying to install SCSI HDD&CD into Amiga 4000, green screen > appeared. Then I took everything off the motherboard and put it back > again. No more green sc...

My PC is DEAD! Please help...
Hi, I'm going to call technical support in the morning. But wondered if any of the experts here could help first! I was using my PC today and it was absolutely fine. We've only had it 6 months and there have been no symptoms of anything wrong with it at all until tonight. I switched it off about 4 hours ago and noticed nothing odd, as I went off to watch the England game. Upon returning about an hour ago, the PC just wouldn't switch on!! Dead. No life, noise or anything. Just as if you'd taken the plug out of the wall and tried to then turn it on. I was the last to...