If Mel really didn't approve of compilers and if refused to use an "optimizing assembler", existed others developers that really didn't approve of compilers and if refused to use an "optimizing assemb

This is the last topic that I post about the history of machine language using the Google Translate.

According  Ed Nather in The Story of Mel, this is part of the history of machine language:

"The Story of Mel

This was posted to Usenet by its author, Ed Nather (<nather@astro.as.utexas.edu>), on May 21, 1983.

A recent article devoted to the macho side of programming
made the bald and unvarnished statement:

    Real Programmers write in FORTRAN.

Maybe they do now,
in this decadent era of
Lite beer, hand calculators, and "user-friendly" software
but back in the Good Old Days,
when the term "software" sounded funny
and Real Computers were made out of drums and vacuum tubes,
Real Programmers wrote in machine code.
Not FORTRAN.  Not RATFOR.  Not, even, assembly language.
Machine Code.
Raw, unadorned, inscrutable hexadecimal numbers.
Directly.

Lest a whole new generation of programmers
grow up in ignorance of this glorious past,
I feel duty-bound to describe,
as best I can through the generation gap,
how a Real Programmer wrote code.
I'll call him Mel,
because that was his name...

I had been hired to write a FORTRAN compiler
for this new marvel and Mel was my guide to its wonders.
Mel didn't approve of compilers.

"If a program can't rewrite its own code",
he asked, "what good is it?"

Mel had written,
in hexadecimal,
the most popular computer program the company owned...

Mel loved the RPC-4000
because he could optimize his code:
that is, locate instructions on the drum
so that just as one finished its job,
the next would be just arriving at the "read head"
and available for immediate execution.
There was a program to do that job,
an "optimizing assembler",
but Mel refused to use it.

"You never know where it's going to put things",
he explained, "so you'd have to use separate constants".

It was a long time before I understood that remark...

Part of that story is true or everything that I mentioned above according to the History of Mel is Fictional?

If Mel really didn't approve of compilers and if refused to use an "optimizing assembler", existed others developers that really didn't approve of compilers and if refused to use an "optimizing assembler"?

Exist currently developers that really didn't approve of compilers and if refuse to use an "optimizing assembler"?

I heard that exist universities that there are still assembly lessons and in some other universities there are even binary coding lessons.

reference: http://archive-org.com/page/3491382/2014-01-08/http://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=42856

If is not much to ask, please speak the names of universities that there are even binary coding lessons.;)

0
ISO

Someone?

0
ISO

"We all know, you're using LISP but didn't want to tell us."
This made my day. I've just realized the following advice in one of the files that is part of the most famous Linux distro in Turkey, namely Pardus (and I consider the following a strong candidate for the Lisp Bashing Hall of Fame :-) : "Misc. Suggestions --------------------------- .... 2. We all know, you're using LISP but didn't want to tell us. Don't be scared, as a success story and for your encouragment there are tens of people somewhere with LISP releated jobs. 3. If you are studying Data structures and Algorithms, and if your first assignment is to implement a ...

Can't Find Answer Any Where (What would you do/try): fopen ("file on shared drive","w+") doesn't work on 2nd call using Windows LabView DDL
Hello, I have a shared drive on SGI, Linux, and Windows. The fact that I'm using a shared drive may be mute information. The problem is within the same program a second call to fopen does not create a file if the file has been deleted. I would like to use fopen for its pointer return value to solve this. What is the best way to fix this problem? The reason I want to do this is I do not want to exit completely from LabView and then re-enter it to create the file! I talked to my system person and he said something "like" this. That it is a caching problem. Windows has the fil...

Instruction at "0x00FC3D70" use memory address "0x00000000". Can't be "read".
Yesterday, ALL code in python work and nothing when I close(finish) a code. Today, when I close, some raise this windows error : Instruction at "0x00FC3D70" use memory address "0x00000000". Can't be "read". Click on "OK" to exit program. Why this error, today and not before today? Askari Askari wrote: > Yesterday, ALL code in python work and nothing when I close(finish) a code. > Today, when I close, some raise this windows error : > > Instruction at "0x00FC3D70" use memory address "0x00000000". Can't be &...

"Even a 'genius' can't use Linux"
Or so the "genius" WinTrolls would have you believe. I finally broke down and bought a $10, 64MB nVidia MX440 video card to replace my onboard Intel graphics chip. (Yeah, I'm a big spender.) So how hard was that to set it up in Linux? I've done it twice (and I'm going to get one for the CentOS box as well). In VectorLinux I had to run VASM (VectorLinux Administration and System Menu) in root and set up X Windows. (VASM is used for just about any change in VectorLinux.) It asked if I wanted to load the nVidia proprietary drivers, I clicked yes, and watc...

Can't use HISTTIMEFORMAT="%d/%m/%y %T " with root's bash?
Hi! I noticed HISTTIMEFORMAT="%d/%m/%y %T " with root (su)'s bash in my 64-bit Debian oldstable (3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64)? I have no problems in regular user (no root/su). Here are examples to compare before and after HISTTIMEFORMAT="%d/%m/%y %T " with history command in bash prompt: # history 6 apt-get upgrade 7 apt-get dist-upgrade 8 apt-get install mplayer 9 apt-get install vlc 10 apt-get -t backports upgrade 11 apt-get -t backports dist-upgrade 12 gem update 13 apt-get update 14 apt-get upgrade 1...

userdel : "user" is in use, but "user" isn't logged
Hello, How can I delete a user account even if the userdel command tells me that the user is in use ? But this user is not connected and no process is using by "user" I'm on Solaris 5.8 # last "user" "user" pts/3 Wed Jan 14 09:41 still logged in # last -f /var/adm/utmpx "user" pts/3 Wed Jan 14 09:41 - 09:32 (23:51) # userdel -r "user" UX: userdel: ERROR: "user" is in use. Cannot remove it. Thank's in advance "Kona" <kona_iron@yahoo.fr> wrote in messag...

Suddenly Can't Use "ifstream"s and "ofstream"s
I had a working piece of code that successfully read from files with the "ifstream" type and wrote to files with the "ofstream" type. This code is made up of a number of different files. In the course of the job I needed for two of these files to have access to one piece of information, so I created a class that I called "CSuffix" and stored the common information there. So I created a "Suffix.h" file that looks like: #pragma once class CSuffix { public: static void initialize (); static void increment (); static c...

Android doesn't protect "software freedom", so [H]ypocrite [H]omer and other cola bozos won't be using it
Right [H]ypocrite/s? "The Apache license allows manufacturers and mobile operators to innovate using the platform without the requirement to contribute those innovations back to the open source community." http://www.openhandsetalliance.com/android_faq.html [H]omer: "Only a morally inverted fuckwit like DFS would see the protection of [software] freedom as a "restriction"." Well well well... looks like [H]ypocrite is stuck using WinPhone7 or an iPhone... just kidding... not in a million years... we all know your hypocrisy will win out like it always d...

Aren't session variable preserved using "Header('Location: xxx')"?
I am trying to pass some info to another page on my site. I set "session_start()" in page 1, assign a session variable to a value, then execute a "header('Location: ....')." But on the target page I don't get any session variable values! BTW, I used a relative location in the Location header, not an absolute URL. The behavior looks like it started another session, but it should not have. Ideas? TIA, Larry Woods "lwoods" <larry@lwoods.com> wrote in message news:RPqzf.8953$JT.6285@fed1read06... >I am trying to pass some info to ...

no "won't stay shared" warning for "use constant" anon subs
Seems like we're missing the "will not stay shared" warning for anon subs declared via "use constant". Is this a bug? Please cc: me on replies. use strict; use warnings; sub foo{ my($c,$d,$e)=("x","y","z"); my $bob=sub{$c=$_[0] if @_}; use constant sue => sub{$d=$_[0] if @_}; #line 6 sub hal {$e=$_[0] if @_} #line 7 $bob->(@_); sue->(@_); hal(@_); print "c=$c d=$d e=$e\n"; } foo("q"); foo(); foo("a"); foo("b"); __END__ output: ------------------------ Varia...

Please don't use "setuptools", the "rotten .egg" install system.
Please don't use "setuptools", the so-called "easy" installation system in your packages. It just makes things more complicated, adds dependencies, and needs too many weird options if things aren't exactly where it wants them. Since "setuptools" is non-standard, it has to be installed before installing other things. In particular, if you're using somepython setup.py install don't require setuptools. Setuptools isn't doing anything for anybody at that point. "egg" files are usually more trouble than they're worth. J...

Why doesn't can't a vector of "Derived" be passed to function taking vector of "Base"?
I have these classes (elided methods): class Base { public: Base(string name) {...} }; class Derived : public Base { public: Derived(String name) : Base( name ) {...} }; And neither of these work: /*** ATTEMPT ONE **/ void create(std::vector<Base>& arr) { ... } int main() { std::vector<Derived> arr; create( arr ); } /*** ATTEMPT TWO **/ void create(std::vector<Base*>& arr) { ... } int main() { std::vector<Derived*> arr; ...

lynx 'browser' can't do "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>"
lynx is lighteningly fast to fetch a set of pages [via a script] via dump > fileID. But [my current version] doesn't render the 'style' of: "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>" What is this new "xml" crap ? Will it likely take over the older *.html ? Thanks for any info, == Chris Glur. news@absamail.co.za wrote in news:1172596265.663611@vasbyt.isdsl.net: > lynx is lighteningly fast to fetch a set of pages [via a script] via > dump > fileID. > > But [my current version] doesn't ...

If Samsung really doesn't sell a whole lot of 'cheap "junk phones"'...
....(and those are Forbes's words, not mine)... ....then how is it that: 'Samsung shipped 2x more phones than Apple, earned half as much' <http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/04/29/samsung-shipped-2x-more-phones-than-apple-earned-half-as-much-> See, if you trolls are right about everything, then Samsung's market share can't be mostly low-end phones, now can it? Because if it was, they'd have a lot more to show for all those sales, wouldn't they? <http://blogs.strategyanalytics.com/WSS/post/2014/04/29/Strategy-Analytics-Global-Smartp...

Web resources about - If Mel really didn't approve of compilers and if refused to use an "optimizing assembler", existed others developers that really didn't approve of compilers and if refused to use an "optimizing assemb - comp.sys.cbm