Jim Butterfield #4

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I regret to advise the Commodore community that Jim Butterfield has
passed away.

Jim died at 1:30 AM on June 29 after battling cancer which infected
many parts of his body.

His family advises that there will not be a funeral as such but a
commemoration of Jim's life is planned in the next month or two.

At the moment that is all the detail that I have to report.

We have all lost a truly wonderful friend and teacher.

Ernie Chorny

0
Reply echorny (10) 6/30/2007 8:22:01 PM

See related articles to this posting

On Jun 30, 4:22 pm, Amigoat <echo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I regret to advise the Commodore community that Jim Butterfield has
> passed away.
>
> Jim died at 1:30 AM on June 29 after battling cancer which infected
> many parts of his body.
>
> His family advises that there will not be a funeral as such but a
> commemoration of Jim's life is planned in the next month or two.
>
> At the moment that is all the detail that I have to report.
>
> We have all lost a truly wonderful friend and teacher.
>
> Ernie Chorny

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
FUCK!!!!!

:(
:(

0
Reply Kimmyland 6/30/2007 9:39:05 PM

God Bless, Jim.  I hope the silicon in heaven is as fun to use as the stuff MOS
made.  :')

Amigoat wrote:
> I regret to advise the Commodore community that Jim Butterfield has
> passed away.
>
> Jim died at 1:30 AM on June 29 after battling cancer which infected
> many parts of his body.
>
> His family advises that there will not be a funeral as such but a
> commemoration of Jim's life is planned in the next month or two.
>
> At the moment that is all the detail that I have to report.
>
> We have all lost a truly wonderful friend and teacher.
>
> Ernie Chorny

0
Reply Dopple 6/30/2007 9:51:57 PM

"Amigoat" wrote ...

>I regret to advise the Commodore community that Jim Butterfield has
> passed away.
>
> Jim died at 1:30 AM on June 29 after battling cancer which infected
> many parts of his body.
>
> His family advises that there will not be a funeral as such but a
> commemoration of Jim's life is planned in the next month or two.

If you are in touch with Jim's family, please convey condolences
on behalf of the Commodore community.

> At the moment that is all the detail that I have to report.

Please keep us updated.

> We have all lost a truly wonderful friend and teacher.

He had a gift for giving simple explanations of complex things.
He understood the inner working of CBM hardware better than
those who designed it!
--
Best regards,

Sam Gillett

0
Reply Sam 6/30/2007 10:39:01 PM

Amigoat wrote:
> I regret to advise the Commodore community that Jim Butterfield has
> passed away.

:-((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Very, very sorry to hear that. I never had the luck to meet him in
person but I still remember, living "behind the Iron curtain" in the
early to mid-eighties and being able to get only some "twentieth hand",
single copies of "Compute!" and Compute!'s Gazette" (grey-imported with
various methods) where his words were shining out with (as already
noticed) simple explanations to complex subjects. Very, very sorry to
know that we won't be reading any new words of him anymore.

Sincere condolences.
0
Reply silverdr 6/30/2007 11:16:17 PM

Having met Jim several times, I can say that Jim was a generous,
knowledgeable, kindly, humorous man.  I will miss his insights and his
friendliness.  My condolences to his family.  We have lost a great
one.

      Sincerely,
      Robert Bernardo
      Fresno Commodore User Group

0
Reply rbernardo 7/1/2007 12:00:47 AM

That is really sad news!!!

He was an inspiration to me when I first started with computers (C64).

RIP Jim!

My condolences to his family.

Regards,
Bogdan

       Bogdan Macri - Photography & Consulting

       duenorth at ktb dot net
0
Reply Bogdan 7/1/2007 2:44:40 AM

rbernardo@value.net writes:

>Having met Jim several times, I can say that Jim was a generous,
>knowledgeable, kindly, humorous man.  I will miss his insights and his
>friendliness.  My condolences to his family.  We have lost a great
>one.

Yes, indeed.

--
      Cameron Kaiser * ckaiser@floodgap.com * posting with a Commodore 128
                 personal page: http://www.cameronkaiser.com/

Group: comp.sys.cbm Date: Sat, Jun 30, 2007, 8:22pm (CDT+5) From:
echorny@gmail.com (Amigoat)

script:

>I regret to advise the Commodore
>community that Jim Butterfield has
>passed away.
Rest In Peace Jimbo.  You have been an inspiration, and will continue
so.

Condolences to the family.

salaam,
dowcom

  To e-mail me, add the character zero to "dowcom".  i.e.:
dowcom(zero)(at)webtv(dot)net.

--
http://community.webtv.net/dowcom/DOWCOMSAMSTRADGUIDE

MSWindows is television,=85 Linux is radar.

0
Reply dowcom 7/1/2007 6:20:42 AM

>From the early Commodore days when he drafted a memory map to the PET,
Jim had written many useful programs and various helpful articles and
books on Commodore programming, many of which are still used or
referred to even today.  Jim Butterfield's has touched all of us
Commodore users.

He not only provided us with much needed help, usually before we knew
we needed it, he also helped shape the Commodore community by
demonstrating that sharing of knowledge helps everyone.

I only got to see him talk for a few minutes at a Commodore show in
87, and during that he was right to the point, wasting no time on
filling our brains with useful knowledge. It would have been nice to
know him personally, but even without out that many of us still call
him friend.  I am so glad he was there for us.

0
Reply larry 7/1/2007 1:57:59 PM

A> Jim died at 1:30 AM on June 29 after battling cancer which infected
A> many parts of his body.

What a shame. I never had the opportunity to meet him, as he seemed to
hit all the expos that I didn't visit.

Rest in peace.

--
    ___          .     .  .         .       . +  .         .      o
  _|___|_   +   .  +     .     +         .  Per Olofsson, arkadspelare

Amigoat wrote on 30. June 2007:

> I regret to advise the Commodore community that Jim Butterfield has
> passed away.

:=B0-(

I didn't hear of him until I read this group. Seems he wasn't that famous
in German. But began I reading about him after the posts about his disease
started here.

He will be missed.
=2D-=20
Andreas
My      Commodore     64     classic     game     music     page      at
http://freenet-homepage.de/ankman/sid.html
0
Reply Andreas 7/1/2007 10:02:25 PM

On Jun 30, 4:22 pm, Amigoat <echo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I regret to advise the Commodore community that Jim Butterfield has
> passed away.
>
> Jim died at 1:30 AM on June 29 after battling cancer which infected
> many parts of his body.

Wow, what a loss! I never met the man personally, but have conversed
online and remember being very young reading his articles. Jim
Butterfield's name is the first one I think of when I think of
computing gurus, he will be missed.

0
Reply redrumloa 7/1/2007 10:41:53 PM

On 7/1/07 6:41 PM, in article
1183329713.321119.130690@c77g2000hse.googlegroups.com, "redrumloa"
<amigaguy@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> On Jun 30, 4:22 pm, Amigoat <echo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I regret to advise the Commodore community that Jim Butterfield has
>> passed away.
>>
>> Jim died at 1:30 AM on June 29 after battling cancer which infected
>> many parts of his body.
>
> Wow, what a loss! I never met the man personally, but have conversed
> online and remember being very young reading his articles. Jim
> Butterfield's name is the first one I think of when I think of
> computing gurus, he will be missed.

And yet, being a guru, he treated everybody with equal respect.
That is what really came across to me when I exchanged emails with him, even
before I knew who he really was. He wasn't condescending to others. A lesson
to be learned...

May he rest in peace...

0
Reply winson19842005 7/1/2007 10:56:51 PM

Sad news indeed. Jim was fortunate enough to be there during the birth
of computing. As a user he showed us the power and beauty of the PET
architecture and it's descendants, unlocking the secrets of these
intriguing systems.

I still remember his name on Super Slither from when I was a kid,
anyone who's listed that program would know that Jim was a master of
minimalism.

Thirty years on, Jim never stopped teaching and guiding us. Jim is
everyone's buddy and I will really miss him. Jim you gave us all
something precious. Rest well old buddy.

0
Reply dspiteri 7/1/2007 11:01:38 PM

On Jun 30, 4:22 pm, Amigoat <echo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I regret to advise the Commodore community that Jim Butterfield has
> passed away.
>
> Jim died at 1:30 AM on June 29 after battling cancer which infected
> many parts of his body.

My cincerest condolences to Jim's family.  No doubt that his passing
will be deeply felt by all that knew him or knew of him.

Jim's lessons have benifitted so many for so many years, it's as if we
have lost a member of our own family.  I've spent many late nights
with blood shot eyes, starring at a monitor well into the wee hours of
the morning. just to see what Jim has wraught with his skillfull yet
simple ways,

Of all the commodore individuals I've ever known, he was the
most....<choke>... Individual.

0
Reply I 7/2/2007 12:47:13 AM

On Jun 30, 4:22 pm, Amigoat <echo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I regret to advise the Commodore community that Jim Butterfield has
> passed away.
>
> Jim died at 1:30 AM on June 29 after battling cancer which infected
> many parts of his body.
>
> His family advises that there will not be a funeral as such but a
> commemoration of Jim's life is planned in the next month or two.

My sincerest condolences to Jim's family.  No doubt that his passing
will be deeply felt
by all that knew him or knew of him.

Jim's lessons have benefited so many for so many years, it's as if we
have lost a member
of our own family.  I've spent many late nights with blood shot eyes,
starring at a monitor
well into the wee hours of the morning. just to see what Jim has
wrought with his skillful
yet simple ways.

Of all the commodore individuals I've ever known, he was the
most....<choke>...
Individual.

May he rest in peace, and may God bless.

B.(

0
Reply I 7/2/2007 12:57:45 AM

I am one of the many unfortunates to never have known Jim in person.
But Jim's work inspired me in so many ways when I was young.  To his
family, we thank you.  Jim will be missed for a very long time - even
by those of us who never knew him.

God bless.

0
Reply xlar54 7/2/2007 3:40:56 AM

Very sad.  The loss of Jim Butterfield is a great loss.  :(  He will
be very missed....

0
Reply WinstonSmith6079 7/2/2007 3:45:29 AM

dspiteri wrote:
> Sad news indeed. Jim was fortunate enough to be there during the birth
> of computing. As a user he showed us the power and beauty of the PET
> architecture and it's descendants, unlocking the secrets of these
> intriguing systems.

Many folks were there during the "birth of [personal] computing".
*Not* many of them cast the long shadow that Jim Butterfield did.
He had a *very* large footprint on the Commodore world.

> I still remember his name on Super Slither from when I was a kid,
> anyone who's listed that program would know that Jim was a master of
> minimalism.

He was a master programmer. I enjoyed the Colossal Cave Adventure
he wrote (in Basic) for the Commodore 64. Just to get that to fit
on *one* Commodore 64 floppy disk took great programming skill.

> Thirty years on, Jim never stopped teaching and guiding us. Jim is
> everyone's buddy and I will really miss him. Jim you gave us all
> something precious. Rest well old buddy.

I remember a 6502 assembly language program he published in one
of the Commodore magazines that played music using the sound chip
on the C64. It came with Pachabel's "Canon in D" encoded to play.
Amazing stuff.

ISTM that it's one of the jobs of the Commodore enthusiasts...
to make sure that the programming work Jim Butterfield did is
*never* lost. *No* matter who owns the copyright or how available
any of it is now, someone needs to keep a copy in escrow for the
day when the copyright expires.

|   Charles and Francis Richmond     richmond at plano dot net   |
Reply Charles 7/2/2007 3:55:28 AM

> > I regret to advise the Commodore community that Jim Butterfield has
> > passed away.

> Of all the commodore individuals I've ever known, he was the
> most....<choke>...
> Individual.

Sorry, I must rephrase.  The above line _should have read_, "Of all
the commodore
individuals I've ever _known of_, he was the
> most....<choke>... Individual.

Just to clarify, I did not know Jim Butterfield personally, but am
merely like so many
others that feel as if I know him through his many great teachings.

....To much grey code, at the moment.

I think of Jim as more than just a Guru of ml code, etc... He is truly
an Ambassador of
goodwill.  He has been a prime example in more ways than one, not just
computing.  His generosity has far outweighed his need to endure, and
yet, because of
that, he has.  He didn't ask for more than he felt he needed, and to
my knowledge, he
never became rich financially because of his endeavors.  However, in
my mind, he left
this world richer than most millionaires.  He died "enriched", and in
so doing, he
enriched us all.

Jim, you'll be missed by many, but still, you'll live on in us all.

Kindest regards to his family.

iGadget

0
Reply I 7/2/2007 3:41:02 PM

It's a sad day when such an important figure in the history of
computers passes away.  He inspired a generation to poke and peek
(literally) into their computers.  Surley he was the most important
Canadian in the early days of microcomputers.  I only hope that CBC
(or one of the other media outlets) does a spot on him as he well
deserves it. I suggest that people email CBC (www.cbc.ca) and let them
know his importance.  Perhaps they will put a blurb on him on their
website at least.  I am sure that many people who do not read this
newsgroup would appreciate it was well.

Charles...

0
Reply VA3NGC 7/3/2007 1:24:18 PM
comp.sys.cbm 13670 articles. 12 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Tribute to Jim Butterfield at the Vintage Computer Festival (VCF X), November 4, 2007
There will be a session at the upcoming Vintage Computer Festival in Mountainview, California, to honor Jim's memory and the contributions he made to the community of computer hobbyists. Please join us if you can - http://www.vintage.org/2007/main/session.php#53 I hope this will be a chance to get together and share memories and stories - this will be a "gathering" rather than a "presentation". If you have videos, stories, artifacts, or ??? that you would like to share during this time, please let me know. And of course, please pass this information along to anyone ...

Jim Butterfield..
Jim Sorry to send this post directly at you, and your name as the header. Im wondering if you ever responded to my email? Im not in good shape, and am need to know. thanks -steve ...

Jim butterfield
Heelo, as many of you probably know the chapters encompassing Jim Butterfield's 1982 C-64 training video are available at http://www.youtube.com/user/Miltos01/videos?query=jim+butterfield Sincerely, -- J. B. Wood e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com ...

Jim Butterfield 87279
Sending out best wishes to Jim Butterfield on his health and recovery. "While the chemo business seems to be over, I have currently developed a problem with my jaw (TMJ). So if it isn't one darn thing, it's another. " Please send Jim your best wishes for his health and recovery. And maybe we can get him to come out to the next TPUG meeting and/or dinner :) "my ISP service seems to have temporarily lost its feed to the commodore newsgroup" Anyone have any ideas to help him out? Is there a way to send him zipped copies of the newsgroup? Gil Kimmyland <Kimm...

Jim Butterfield visit
Just a note to say that Leif Bloomquist and I are considering a group visit to the home of Jim Butterfield (of course, with his blessing and permission, still to be determined) to keep him company and bolster his spirits and maybe for a snack. If any locals are interested in forming a group to go and visit him, please let us know so we can determine if such an event is worthwhile or practical. Jim Butterfield has put up a website at http://www.pathcom.com/~fjb/Personal%20Computers.html Feel free to visit there and let him know what you think :) Here is his post to torontocbm for those of y...

Jim Butterfield stories
About 25 years ago, Jim came to our school on an invite to do a presentation. There were only about 6 or 7 of us gathered after school one day but he was friendly and professional. I will always remember that. Once at a TPUG meeting in the 80s, there was this guy hounding Jim for information. Jim obviously wanted to do other things but he never lost his temper with this guy. I never saw Jim lose his temper with anyone or say bad things about anyone. He had his ways with letting you know he was getting pissed off and it wasn't with anger. He WAS a great teacher and friend and I am crushe...

Jim Butterfield #3
I got a 'no send' request from Jim so I can't bother him with emails. But I am wondering if anyone has heard anything from him lately. How his health is and how he is doing. Would be nice to hear from him and hope he is doing well. Anyone? Gil Oh no!, Cannot beleive it. RIP. ...

Jim Butterfield, the man.
Here's a centrefold of Jim from Transactor showing his lighter side. http://bayimg.com/baDmeaabB Hi all, I didnt know Jim Butterfield, but I had certainly heard of him and used some of his programs. I heard of his name quite a while back and realised.. geez this guy must be a good programmer aswell as creative to be able to come up with some nice programs. Thanks Jim for your work and efforts!. Condolences to Jim's family and friends. R.I.P Jim. nlcw. "dspiteri" <dspiteri@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1183364071.688342.41900@g37g2000prf.googlegroups.com.....

Jim Butterfield news
Anything happening on the Jim Butterfield front? Any public family news about what they are planning to do? Funeral? Tribute? Anything? Appreciated. Gil ...

Jim Butterfield #5
Sorry for the duplicate post. There has to be someone out there who knows any public info about Jim Butterfield? Tribute? Funeral? Anything at all happening? Sorry for the repetition, I just wanted this at the top of the list Gil Kimmyland@gmail.com wrote on 14. August 2007: > > Sorry for the duplicate post. > There has to be someone out there who knows any public info about Jim > Butterfield? > Tribute? Funeral? > > Anything at all happening? > Sorry for the repetition, I just wanted this at the top of the list Not that I know of. I was just using Groups Google t...

Jim Butterfield memorial
I was unable to attend the memorial today the 22nd of Sept. Is there anyone who went? Can you fill us in on the details and what happened there? What did the event look and sound like? Appreciated, Gil ...

Jim Butterfield 477394
There was recently some discussion about Jim Butterfield in this newsgroup. Most of us here know who Jim Butterfield is. For those who don't, this magazine article about Jim from the early 1980's, that I stumbled across tonight, might be interesting. -- Best regards, Sam Gillett Change is inevitable, except from vending machines! "Sam Gillett" wrote ... > There was recently some discussion about Jim Butterfield in this newsgroup. > Most of us here know who Jim Butterfield is. For those who don't, this > magazine article about Jim from the early 1980...

Adventure by Jim Butterfield
What does the following assembly code do (when you SYS 900) in the above-mentioned game? 110 DATA 162,6,32,198,255,32,228,255,201,35,208,249,76,204,255 120 FOR J = 900 TO 914: READ X: POKE J,X: NEXT J 4520 SYS 900: IF ST > 0 THEN CLOSE 6: RETURN Ben Ben Yates <anoneds@netscape.net> wrote: > What does the following assembly code do (when you SYS 900) in the > above-mentioned game? > > 110 DATA 162,6,32,198,255,32,228,255,201,35,208,249,76,204,255 > 120 FOR J = 900 TO 914: READ X: POKE J,X: NEXT J 0384 A2 06 LDX #$06 0386 20 C6 FF JSR $FFC6 ;set input d...

Video of Jim Butterfield
The video of Jim Butterfield at the LUCKI Expo 2005 has now been posted to the Net! This is the same video that was shown at the Commodore Vegas Expo v3 (2007), at the Vintage Computer Festival X, and at the World of Commodore Expo 2007. The video is available for download (thanks, Ian) in Quicktime, Windows Media, and Real Player formats. You can download a section of the video or the complete 45-minute video. Here is what Ian Matthews of Commodore.ca had to say -- "I have created a large selection of options for those who are interested in seeing the mighty Jim. See the bottom...

Articles about Jim Butterfield
Just found these older articles on-line. Go to: http://www.commodore.ca/history/people/jim_butterfield_compute_sept82.htm and http://www.commodore.ca/history/people/jim_butterfield.htm and an advertisement with Jim http://www.commodore.ca/gallery/adverts_other/proline_butterfield_run_mar85.jpg and another article from Jim http://www.commodore.ca/history/company/6502/6500cpus.htm CommVEx v3 info at http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex or http://www.commodore.ca/forum Robert Bernardo Fresno Commodore User Group ...

Jim Butterfield passed away
Jim Butterfield, who wrote countless articles and books on the 6502, died from cancer June 30, 2007. Details are in comp.sys.cbm. Paul Guertin pg@sff.net Paul Guertin schrieb: > Jim Butterfield, who wrote countless articles and books on the 6502, > died from cancer June 30, 2007. Details are in comp.sys.cbm. Thanks for informing us here! I've read several articles from him back then and when the retro bug bit me a few years ago I found lots of new stuff, sometimes even personal stories. Reading these stories it became clear that he had what other programmers / persons were miss...

Jim Butterfield was my childhood hero
And I have the autograph to prove it. Front: http://img200.exs.cx/img200/5984/jbbcfront6ey.jpg Back: http://img200.exs.cx/img200/7928/jbbcback3og.jpg If anyone is concerned: I emailed Jim and asked him if I could post this. He said no, but I'm doing it anyway. :) Seriously, he said: "with appropriate cautions added [he has] no problem with [me] sharing it." So, I blocked out part of the address and phone number. It's probably way out of date and not valid, but better safe and all that. I have no idea how I got this. I either wrote him a letter, was on a BBS he wa...

Jim Butterfield #2 92562
Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about our dear friend, Jim Butterfield. Last I heard he is not doing too well and I am a bit worried. Anyone heard anything at all? I messed up last month and I said I would not email him directly anymore so I need to rely on you guys to inform me/us Anyways, hope he is doing well. Gil ...

Jim Butterfield stories and stuff
Remembering all the times that Jim came to schools to visit and chat about the commodore. He was so humble and selfless and it showed. He was a sweet man and even when you pushed him too hard with questions and requests he found a really sweet and polite way to let you know that it was 'too much' for him. I found that REALLY refreshing, considering that MANY MANY people on IRC and in the commodore community can be rude, mean and intolerant. I remember calling Jim at home and emailing him and he would always find time to respond and engage you in a friendly and enjoyable way. Although I...

Jim Butterfield tribute site
Jim Butterfield belonged to The Toronto Naval Club - I guess that was appropriate since he was so closely associated with 'Commodore' computers. The webmaster at The Toronto Naval Club has suggested that people interested in paying tribute to Jim or telling stories about him or simply sending their condolences could post at the website where the posts could be seen by Jim's family and computer/non-computer friends. You can enter the site at http://www.candoo.com/ncot/discussion/index.php At this point you will be in the forums section and if you scroll down to - Remembering ...

Re: Video of Jim Butterfield
On Tue, December 18, 2007 11:14 am, I wrote: > The video of Jim Butterfield at the LUCKI Expo 2005 has now been > posted to the Net! [snip] > http://www.commodore.ca/gallery/video/video.htm While rummaging around various Beta, VHS, Digital 8, and DV tapes, I came across a VHS tape that was given to me. Its label was printed, "Chicago Commodore Expo, October 24, 1998 - Jim Butterfield Tells a Commodore Story". I viewed the tape, and though the video quality is only fair, the audio is good, and of course, Jim tells a good story of the early days of Commodor...

Jim Butterfield #2 454941
When I was still a kid, I talked to Jim Butterfield after he gave a talk at a user group meeting. I told him of my dream to not just play games and run apps, but to learn how to program computers and how to design the hardware. Jim encouraged me and drew up a list of things I should learn which I kept posted on my wall for years until I had checked off each item. I came from a rough environment where pretty much everyone around me ended up being a criminal or a cop, but I -- thanks to the help of Jim Butterfield and a few others like him -- became an engineer, and now there are sev...

Video of programmer Jim Butterfield
Video of the late Jim Butterfield at the LUCKI Expo 2005 has now been posted to the Net! This is the same video that was shown at the Commodore Vegas Expo v3 (2007), at the Vintage Computer Festival X, and at the World of Commodore Expo 2007. The video is available for download (thanks, Ian) in Quicktime, Windows Media, and Real Player formats. You can download a section of the video or the complete 45-minute video. Here is what Ian Matthews of Commodore.ca had to say -- "I have created a large selection of options for those who are interested in seeing the mighty...

Jim Butterfield's Obituary
Jim Butterfield's obituary will appear in the Toronto Star on Saturday, July 7, 2007. It is currently available through the Toronto Star's website and can be viewed at the following URL: http://www.torontostarclassifieds.com/OLCSApp/do/attribute_view_ad?Refresh=No&categoryName=DEATHS&adID=1119307&printerFriendly=true&today=null&pages=10&printerFriendly=true Shortened link: http://tinyurl.com/yo2753 -- Golan Klinger Dark is the suede that mows like a harvest. I think a fitting tribute to Jim could be done by the promoters of the Expos this year (LUCKY, ...