Logging into the BBS

This is a something Excalibur and I have been working on. It seems that
other than myself on my LAN, that Excalibur is the only other person to
successfully logon to my board. I've had plenty of callers, but for some
reason, they seem to time out before they are able to logon to the BBS. A
few questions that come to my mind include; Are the people that are trying
to log in using a Petscii compatible terminal program? Is their telnet
programs timing out before TCPSer4j starts sending them BBS info?

Ok, this is something that Excalibur and myself have be feverishly working
on, but I'll let you guys in on the situation. TCPSer4j has been setup to
play a .V90 .wav file to simulate, at least the sound of handshaking. I
don't know what functionality it adds to the program, but the .wav file
takes about 20 to 30 seconds to run. After which the BBS starts sending
data. So if you're not using CGTerm, Which I have used and it worked
perfectly, after waiting for the BBS to start sending data of course, then
could you email either myself or Excalibur detailing some of your logon
problems?

We're trying hard to get this working because we believe it will get a lot
of old Commodore SysOps back into bringing their boards online. I mean this
way they can do it strictly in emulation and not have to worry about the
bulk C64 and C128 hardware, not to mention extra power requirements for them
running. I think the idea will catch on.

So please continue to call and we'll work hard to get this straightened out!
Long live Commodore and their wonder BBSs!

Fantasia's Return Telnet://65.80.188.195:6400
A DMBBS. 1200/2400 Baud 24 Hours a day!

0
waderyan (11)

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 06:13:00 -0500, "warya" <waderyan@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>This is a something Excalibur and I have been working on. It seems that
>other than myself on my LAN, that Excalibur is the only other person to
>successfully logon to my board. I've had plenty of callers, but for some
>reason, they seem to time out before they are able to logon to the BBS. A
>few questions that come to my mind include; Are the people that are trying
>to log in using a Petscii compatible terminal program? Is their telnet
>programs timing out before TCPSer4j starts sending them BBS info?
>
>Ok, this is something that Excalibur and myself have be feverishly working
>on, but I'll let you guys in on the situation. TCPSer4j has been setup to
>play a .V90 .wav file to simulate, at least the sound of handshaking. I
>don't know what functionality it adds to the program, but the .wav file
>takes about 20 to 30 seconds to run. After which the BBS starts sending
>data. So if you're not using CGTerm, Which I have used and it worked
>perfectly, after waiting for the BBS to start sending data of course, then
>could you email either myself or Excalibur detailing some of your logon
>problems?
>
>We're trying hard to get this working because we believe it will get a lot
>of old Commodore SysOps back into bringing their boards online. I mean this
>way they can do it strictly in emulation and not have to worry about the
>bulk C64 and C128 hardware, not to mention extra power requirements for them
>running. I think the idea will catch on.
>
>So please continue to call and we'll work hard to get this straightened out!
>Long live Commodore and their wonder BBSs!
>
>Fantasia's Return Telnet://65.80.188.195:6400
>A DMBBS. 1200/2400 Baud 24 Hours a day!

you don't need the .wav files at all, jim brain added that function purely
for those that either want the nostalgea of hearing the old modem tone or
as an audible indicator that someone has connected to your bbs.

so you can delete them.

mike

0
Mike
6/27/2006 1:19:57 PM
Warya, I don't know what's happening, but when I try to connect with CgTerm
1.6, it immediately gives me a Disconnected!

"warya" <waderyan@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> This is a something Excalibur and I have been working on. It seems that
> other than myself on my LAN, that Excalibur is the only other person to
> successfully logon to my board. I've had plenty of callers, but for some
> reason, they seem to time out before they are able to logon to the BBS. A
> few questions that come to my mind include; Are the people that are trying
> to log in using a Petscii compatible terminal program? Is their telnet
> programs timing out before TCPSer4j starts sending them BBS info?

David
6/27/2006 5:10:37 PM
I was able to log on after a few seconds of wondering if it was going to
connect or not.

During my connection/session, it seemed to be a bit laggy.  Like echo was
taking a long time to get back to me, which I guess could be an internet lag
issue.

I did notice after disconnecting, the board sent an initialization string
while I was still waiting for the disconnect to finish.  It took about 5
lines of modem strings until it finally disconnected me.  Folks could be
trying to log on while this process is still running from the last caller?

Software used was CGTerm 1.7b2
--
Snogpitch

ICQ: 4989342
Webpage: http://pages.prodigy.net/snogpitch/

On 6/27/06 7:13 AM, in article Wo8og.25905$gv2.21670@bignews3.bellsouth.net,
"warya" <waderyan@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Fantasia's Return Telnet://65.80.188.195:6400
> A DMBBS. 1200/2400 Baud 24 Hours a day!

0
Snogpitch
6/27/2006 5:57:46 PM
I did have a bit of a problem with the userlog earlier and that may have
been causing the disconnects earlier. I am still working on the init string
though. Lawd I'm glad I can removed the v.90 string because I got in trouble
a few times because it woke the wife up. :P

"Snogpitch" <snogpitch@prodigy.net> wrote in message
>I was able to log on after a few seconds of wondering if it was going to
> connect or not.
>
> During my connection/session, it seemed to be a bit laggy.  Like echo was
> taking a long time to get back to me, which I guess could be an internet
> lag
> issue.
>
> I did notice after disconnecting, the board sent an initialization string
> while I was still waiting for the disconnect to finish.  It took about 5
> lines of modem strings until it finally disconnected me.  Folks could be
> trying to log on while this process is still running from the last caller?
>
> Software used was CGTerm 1.7b2
> --
> Snogpitch
>
> ICQ: 4989342
> Webpage: http://pages.prodigy.net/snogpitch/
>

> On 6/27/06 7:13 AM, in article
> Wo8og.25905$gv2.21670@bignews3.bellsouth.net,
> "warya" <waderyan@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>

>> Fantasia's Return Telnet://65.80.188.195:6400
>> A DMBBS. 1200/2400 Baud 24 Hours a day!

0
warya
6/27/2006 6:40:48 PM
warya wrote:

> So please continue to call and we'll work hard to get this straightened out!
> Long live Commodore and their wonder BBSs!
>
> Fantasia's Return Telnet://65.80.188.195:6400
> A DMBBS. 1200/2400 Baud 24 Hours a day!

Using cgterm I get "Disconnected!" immediately.

Using a regular telnet client, nothing much happens until I press
Ctrl-M a few times, at which moment I see various PETSCII streaming
by...

0
zwsdotcom
6/28/2006 2:04:38 AM
warya wrote:

> Fantasia's Return Telnet://65.80.188.195:6400
> A DMBBS. 1200/2400 Baud 24 Hours a day!

Hmm. Odd. If I go in through a bookmark, it works. I do get a bunch of
"ata"s first though :)

0
zwsdotcom
6/28/2006 2:11:52 AM
<zwsdotcom@gmail.com> wrote in message

> warya wrote:
>
>> Fantasia's Return Telnet://65.80.188.195:6400
>> A DMBBS. 1200/2400 Baud 24 Hours a day!
>
> Hmm. Odd. If I go in through a bookmark, it works. I do get a bunch of
> "ata"s first though :)

That's odd, you're the first to report that CGTerm did not work. At least
the beta version. A lot of people are having trouble with v1.6 . The ata's
are happening because DMBBS's incompatibility with TCPSer. I believe I can
fix it but I have to figure out what to put in TCPSer to make the DMBBS
happy.

0
warya
6/28/2006 2:26:28 AM
I've connected to your bbs using standard telnet on windows xp.
Your bbs seemed to automatically detect ascii.
I've managed to connect my sx-64 to my pc with an rs232 adapter and allow
users to connect to novaterm bbs via bbs server 1.2 on the pc.
I guess you're trying to get tcpser4j to work.  Which other programs are you
using?
I know that lowering your baud rate and checking your settings before
connecting would help (like the old days)
I guess that the .wav sound file is only to give users the old bbs
connection feel.  But I am not sure that if while this sound file is being
played, it somehow affects the connection process, e.g. affects the timing.
(does the connection actually happen before, during or after the sound file
is played?

Wouldnt it be nice to see a better cgedit in cgterm package?  it can be hard
to find a decent BBS editor (seq, etc) to make your own screens, menus etc.
Would there be any programs out there that could convert ansi/jpg/gif images
to dithered/lower resolution colour images to save as a seq file?.

"warya" <waderyan@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> This is a something Excalibur and I have been working on. It seems that
> other than myself on my LAN, that Excalibur is the only other person to
> successfully logon to my board. I've had plenty of callers, but for some
> reason, they seem to time out before they are able to logon to the BBS. A
> few questions that come to my mind include; Are the people that are trying
> to log in using a Petscii compatible terminal program? Is their telnet
> programs timing out before TCPSer4j starts sending them BBS info?
>
> Ok, this is something that Excalibur and myself have be feverishly working
> on, but I'll let you guys in on the situation. TCPSer4j has been setup to
> play a .V90 .wav file to simulate, at least the sound of handshaking. I
> don't know what functionality it adds to the program, but the .wav file
> takes about 20 to 30 seconds to run. After which the BBS starts sending
> data. So if you're not using CGTerm, Which I have used and it worked
> perfectly, after waiting for the BBS to start sending data of course, then
> could you email either myself or Excalibur detailing some of your logon
> problems?
>
> We're trying hard to get this working because we believe it will get a lot
> of old Commodore SysOps back into bringing their boards online. I mean
> this way they can do it strictly in emulation and not have to worry about
> the bulk C64 and C128 hardware, not to mention extra power requirements
> for them running. I think the idea will catch on.
>
> So please continue to call and we'll work hard to get this straightened
> out! Long live Commodore and their wonder BBSs!
>
> Fantasia's Return Telnet://65.80.188.195:6400
> A DMBBS. 1200/2400 Baud 24 Hours a day!

0
nlcw
6/28/2006 2:51:10 AM
warya wrote:
> I did have a bit of a problem with the userlog earlier and that may have
> been causing the disconnects earlier. I am still working on the init string
> though. Lawd I'm glad I can removed the v.90 string because I got in trouble
> a few times because it woke the wife up. :P

Hehe, just like it would have previously (I suppose I should add support
for atL0 to turn the "speaker" off :-)

As Mike Paull noted, the wav files are purely for nostalgia, and should
be turned off if not wanted/needed.

Jim

0
Jim
6/28/2006 7:04:37 AM
nlcw wrote:

> I guess that the .wav sound file is only to give users the old bbs
> connection feel.  But I am not sure that if while this sound file is being
> played, it somehow affects the connection process, e.g. affects the timing.
> (does the connection actually happen before, during or after the sound file
> is played?
The connection is pulled immediately, to avoid a timeout on the caller,
and then the sound is played.  BUt, the quick fix is to turn that off,
as it is not a required part.

Jim
0
Jim
6/28/2006 7:06:11 AM
"Jim Brain" <brain@jbrain.com> wrote in message
> warya wrote:
>> I did have a bit of a problem with the userlog earlier and that may have
>> been causing the disconnects earlier. I am still working on the init
>> string though. Lawd I'm glad I can removed the v.90 string because I got
>> in trouble a few times because it woke the wife up. :P
>
> Hehe, just like it would have previously (I suppose I should add support
> for atL0 to turn the "speaker" off :-)
>
> As Mike Paull noted, the wav files are purely for nostalgia, and should be
> turned off if not wanted/needed.
>
> Jim

Thanks Jim. If you haven't noticed already, let me be the first one to tell
you that I am nothing more than a pure hardware technician. my programming
capabilities, besides the little bit of Commodore and M$ basic(then again
they both are MS Basic aren't they?), I have no experience in programming
whatsoever. About as close as I've come to programming in a machine language
would be when I taught myself how to build a basic HTML 3 webpage which by
the time I was about to actually use it, HTML 4 was becoming widely used and
what little I had learned had already became outdated, if not obsolete. So I
perish the thought of  changing someone else's programming, even if I think
I know what I'm doing. I do it only out of absolute necessity, unless
instructed on how to by someone who actually knows what they're doing. Hehe.

At any rate Jim, I've included props to you in my BBS information page for
creating such a great program like TCPSer4J, Without it, I don't think I
would have been able to get DMBBS running in VICE. Keep up the good work!

0
warya
6/28/2006 12:58:27 PM
Good news! I removed the V.90 lines and the BBS connects instantly now.

"warya" <waderyan@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> This is a something Excalibur and I have been working on. It seems that
> other than myself on my LAN, that Excalibur is the only other person to
> successfully logon to my board. I've had plenty of callers, but for some
> reason, they seem to time out before they are able to logon to the BBS. A
> few questions that come to my mind include; Are the people that are trying
> to log in using a Petscii compatible terminal program? Is their telnet
> programs timing out before TCPSer4j starts sending them BBS info?
>
> Ok, this is something that Excalibur and myself have be feverishly working
> on, but I'll let you guys in on the situation. TCPSer4j has been setup to
> play a .V90 .wav file to simulate, at least the sound of handshaking. I
> don't know what functionality it adds to the program, but the .wav file
> takes about 20 to 30 seconds to run. After which the BBS starts sending
> data. So if you're not using CGTerm, Which I have used and it worked
> perfectly, after waiting for the BBS to start sending data of course, then
> could you email either myself or Excalibur detailing some of your logon
> problems?
>
> We're trying hard to get this working because we believe it will get a lot
> of old Commodore SysOps back into bringing their boards online. I mean
> this way they can do it strictly in emulation and not have to worry about
> the bulk C64 and C128 hardware, not to mention extra power requirements
> for them running. I think the idea will catch on.
>
> So please continue to call and we'll work hard to get this straightened
> out! Long live Commodore and their wonder BBSs!
>
> Fantasia's Return Telnet://65.80.188.195:6400
> A DMBBS. 1200/2400 Baud 24 Hours a day!

0
warya
6/28/2006 1:14:37 PM
warya wrote:
> Good news! I removed the V.90 lines and the BBS connects instantly now.

Wow!  I'm going to have to check my config file now to see if I can
remove the 17 second connect delay on mine.  When I connected to yours
just a minute ago it put me right through.  GJ!

Excalibur's Stone BBS
DMBBS HeadQuarters
bbs.excalibursstone.com port 6400
Running DMBBS v5

0
Excalibur
6/28/2006 1:42:53 PM
Actually I have 2 .seq file editors on my BBS. One is called GFX Magic
Elite, and the other one, the one I use more than any other is called Screen
Gems. And the BBS doesn't generally auto detect either screenmode. But I do
know that if you're using a Commodore Colog Graphics terminal like CGTerm,
CCGMS Amiga or CCGMS it should ask you to press delete/backspace before
going any further.

"nlcw" <nlcw@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
> I've connected to your bbs using standard telnet on windows xp.
> Your bbs seemed to automatically detect ascii.
> I've managed to connect my sx-64 to my pc with an rs232 adapter and allow
> users to connect to novaterm bbs via bbs server 1.2 on the pc.
> I guess you're trying to get tcpser4j to work.  Which other programs are
> you using?
> I know that lowering your baud rate and checking your settings before
> connecting would help (like the old days)
> I guess that the .wav sound file is only to give users the old bbs
> connection feel.  But I am not sure that if while this sound file is being
> played, it somehow affects the connection process, e.g. affects the
> timing. (does the connection actually happen before, during or after the
> sound file is played?
>
> Wouldnt it be nice to see a better cgedit in cgterm package?  it can be
> hard to find a decent BBS editor (seq, etc) to make your own screens,
> menus etc. Would there be any programs out there that could convert
> ansi/jpg/gif images to dithered/lower resolution colour images to save as
> a seq file?.
>

> "warya" <waderyan@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> This is a something Excalibur and I have been working on. It seems that
>> other than myself on my LAN, that Excalibur is the only other person to
>> successfully logon to my board. I've had plenty of callers, but for some
>> reason, they seem to time out before they are able to logon to the BBS. A
>> few questions that come to my mind include; Are the people that are
>> trying to log in using a Petscii compatible terminal program? Is their
>> telnet programs timing out before TCPSer4j starts sending them BBS info?
>>
>> Ok, this is something that Excalibur and myself have be feverishly
>> working on, but I'll let you guys in on the situation. TCPSer4j has been
>> setup to play a .V90 .wav file to simulate, at least the sound of
>> handshaking. I don't know what functionality it adds to the program, but
>> the .wav file takes about 20 to 30 seconds to run. After which the BBS
>> starts sending data. So if you're not using CGTerm, Which I have used and
>> it worked perfectly, after waiting for the BBS to start sending data of
>> course, then could you email either myself or Excalibur detailing some of
>> your logon problems?
>>
>> We're trying hard to get this working because we believe it will get a
>> lot of old Commodore SysOps back into bringing their boards online. I
>> mean this way they can do it strictly in emulation and not have to worry
>> about the bulk C64 and C128 hardware, not to mention extra power
>> requirements for them running. I think the idea will catch on.
>>
>> So please continue to call and we'll work hard to get this straightened
>> out! Long live Commodore and their wonder BBSs!
>>
>> Fantasia's Return Telnet://65.80.188.195:6400
>> A DMBBS. 1200/2400 Baud 24 Hours a day!

0
warya
6/28/2006 6:39:34 PM
"Excalibur" <excalibur@excalibursstone.com> wrote in message

> warya wrote:
>> Good news! I removed the V.90 lines and the BBS connects instantly now.
>>

> Wow!  I'm going to have to check my config file now to see if I can
> remove the 17 second connect delay on mine.  When I connected to yours
> just a minute ago it put me right through.  GJ!
>
> Excalibur's Stone BBS
> DMBBS HeadQuarters
> bbs.excalibursstone.com port 6400
> Running DMBBS v5

And Imma add your BBS to the Logoff screeen on my BBS as I now have it. :P

0
warya
6/28/2006 7:23:35 PM
I logged on directly from my C64 with Guruterm.  It connected OK, but after
I logged in it froze and I had to disconnect.

But it looks good - I loved the PETSCII art at the login prompt!

0
Leif
6/29/2006 10:20:47 PM
Judging on when you wrote this you may have been the on that logged in right
about the time I accidentally hit the reset switch on my PC with my dayum
Subwoofer while I was moving it to another room to pull the subs in it. I
was away from the computer for like 15 minutes and didn't know it was off
until I tried to get it to come out of power save mode. :P

Thanks for the compliment on the art. Of course it was drawn back in the
Commodore BBSing hayday of 1990-1993. My skills in Petscii are starting to
come back but. They aren't nearly what they used to be. I drew another
castle, which I like to think of as the opposing faction to the Castle on
the login screen. Yes. In fact I think I like it better than Castle
Fantasia. Its called Castle Darkspire, and I've been trying to figure out a
place for it, and my attempt at the Garden of Eden that I drew as well. It
was at one time going to be the intro to my BBS. I may put them in my
Library of General txt files or something. Make something of an Art Gallery
out of it.

Anyway, Leif, if you don't mind give Fantasia's Return another shot! I
hopefully will have everything up and running by then.
..s

Heh, I forgot, this is the newsgroups, not the BBS. :P
LOL