Re: Why did come classic

> I doubt. Compared to the Commodore 64 which had a lot (not to say all? ;-)
> of the classic games available. These companies (Ocean comes to my
> mind) might already have done a C64 port, why not extend the license for
> the Amiga?

Different technology?  The C64 was more popular than the Amiga.  Assuming the
games you are talking about were made as C64 cartridges, it may have been
difficult enough to port them to Amiga that the ROI just was not there.

Mike

---
 * SLMR 2.1a * All Aboard!!!

0
nospam

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 21:31:00 +1200, Mike Powell wrote:

>> I doubt. Compared to the Commodore 64 which had a lot (not to say all? ;-)
>> of the classic games available. These companies (Ocean comes to my
>> mind) might already have done a C64 port, why not extend the license for
>> the Amiga?
>
> Different technology?  The C64 was more popular than the Amiga.  Assuming the
> games you are talking about were made as C64 cartridges, it may have been
> difficult enough to port them to Amiga that the ROI just was not there.

ROI as in Return On Investment? I suppose that for most users the Amiga
was a gaming machine no matter the original intentions of Commodore.

Most (legal ;-) games I had came of floppy. I seem to recall that Zaxxon,
one of my all time favorites, and many other came on floppy.

Btw. reading old computer magazines like the BYTE 4/1984 I found an
interesting note in "Microbytes" about an not well known company Amiga
Corporation that soon unveils a new computer. I searched for other sources
and found <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_Corporation#History>,
saying:

| BYTE had reported in April 1984 that Amiga "is developing a
| 68000-based home computer with a custom graphics processor. With 128K
| bytes of RAM and a floppy-disk drive, the computer will reportedly
| sell for less than $1000 late this year".

128K, haha. The 256K it eventually came with were already painful to
work with.
--
Andreas
You know you are a redneck if