Samples are out?

When around 1985 the first SID tunes using samples came out everybody was
blown away, including me. But I guess when the Commodore 64 reached the
end in the mid 90s I thought since the SID was not made for playing
samples that I prefer tunes made without.

Now checking new SID tunes, like randomly picked Miss C64 from 2013 and
many (all so far) other "new" tunes after about 2000 (probably earlier?)
do not use samples. At least that it's what these tunes sound to me.

Came the SID composer back to the roots already in the late 90s?
--
Andreas
You know you are a redneck if

On 2016-11-15 15:26, Andreas Kohlbach : All wrote:
> When around 1985 the first SID tunes using samples came out everybody was
> blown away, including me. But I guess when the Commodore 64 reached the
> end in the mid 90s I thought since the SID was not made for playing
> samples that I prefer tunes made without.
>
> Now checking new SID tunes, like randomly picked Miss C64 from 2013 and
> many (all so far) other "new" tunes after about 2000 (probably earlier?)
> do not use samples. At least that it's what these tunes sound to me.
>
> Came the SID composer back to the roots already in the late 90s?

I guess samples eat a lot of cpu or something, which makes them less
suitable for demos, so when the novelty wears off, you want to use
effects that still allow your SIDs to be used in demos or games.

0
nospam