Why did come classic games so late?

The Amiga was introduced in 1985 and by 1986 should had been on the
shelves.

Usually games from arcades were ported to the then available home
computers just a few months later they appeared in the arcades. Like
Zaxxon which made it way to about all of the contemporary computers in
1982 as licensed or clone. For the Amiga Zaxxon came out only in
1995. Another example is Phoenix from 1981, which came out as Mega
Phoenix for the Amiga ten years later, if my Google works correct. There
are many more examples of late game ports for the Amiga. While others,
like Elite, were probably out (1985) before many people even heard about
the Amiga.

Anyone has an idea why?
--
Andreas
You know you are a redneck if

On 12/23/16, Olly said the following...

 Ol> 3. Rights problems?

I think that was the biggest one... Many of the arcade guys had bigger stakes
in the console markets and saw PCs as a different market all together. PC
gaming never seemed to really get popular till the early 90s. Kind of when
DOOM started out.

0
nospam
12/22/2016 9:32:00 PM
On 2016-12-22 20:50:05 +0000, Andreas Kohlbach said:

> The Amiga was introduced in 1985 and by 1986 should had been on the
> shelves.
>
> Usually games from arcades were ported to the then available home
> computers just a few months later they appeared in the arcades. Like
> Zaxxon which made it way to about all of the contemporary computers in
> 1982 as licensed or clone. For the Amiga Zaxxon came out only in
> 1995. Another example is Phoenix from 1981, which came out as Mega
> Phoenix for the Amiga ten years later, if my Google works correct. There
> are many more examples of late game ports for the Amiga. While others,
> like Elite, were probably out (1985) before many people even heard about
> the Amiga.
>
> Anyone has an idea why?

Interesting point. Just throwing some ideas in here:

1. Maybe its just one of those things (no one thought of doing it, lazy
day at the office, no new games coming so time to churn out some old
moneyspinners?)

2. Maybe there was more of a drive to push the Amiga with newer games,
rather than porting across old games?

3. Rights problems?

I have no idea to be honest, but they were the things that came to mind.

Olly.

0
Olly
12/23/2016 12:15:04 AM
On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 00:15:04 +0000, Olly wrote:

> On 2016-12-22 20:50:05 +0000, Andreas Kohlbach said:
>
>> The Amiga was introduced in 1985 and by 1986 should had been on the
>> shelves.
>>
>> Usually games from arcades were ported to the then available home
>> computers just a few months later they appeared in the arcades. Like
>> Zaxxon which made it way to about all of the contemporary computers in
>> 1982 as licensed or clone. For the Amiga Zaxxon came out only in
>> 1995. Another example is Phoenix from 1981, which came out as Mega
>> Phoenix for the Amiga ten years later, if my Google works correct. There
>> are many more examples of late game ports for the Amiga. While others,
>> like Elite, were probably out (1985) before many people even heard about
>> the Amiga.
>>
>> Anyone has an idea why?
>
> Interesting point. Just throwing some ideas in here:
>
> 1. Maybe its just one of those things (no one thought of doing it,
> lazy day at the office, no new games coming so time to churn out some
> old moneyspinners?)

Hmm...

> 2. Maybe there was more of a drive to push the Amiga with newer games,
> rather than porting across old games?

IMO classics are classics and already a few years after they were
published (in opposite to that they are now vintage and loved by us old
folks) highly sought after. Like Space Invaders or Pac Man. I suppose
also in 1985 many people loved to play them.

> 3. Rights problems?

I doubt. Compared to the Commodore 64 which had a lot (not to say all? ;-)
of the classic games available. These companies (Ocean comes to my
mind) might already have done a C64 port, why not extend the license for
the Amiga?

Then they could just do clones. Like it was done a lot for the ZX Spectrum
for example.

I just found another example with Defender
<http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=2501>. Came out 13 years
after it hit the arcades in 1981. Interestingly the Wikipedia page
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_(1981_video_game)> isn't even
mentioning the Amiga port. It might just be a clone, and there was never
an official Amiga port for Defender.
--
Andreas
You know you are a redneck if