8668c hard drive is dead, wont accept any other hard drive

we had a power outage and i lost my WD 30gig, the recovery CD wont even
format it, i tool a maxtore 6.4 from working pc and put it in the HP, the
bios reads the maxtor but all i see after that is a flashing dot nothing
more, nothing less.

i took an old fujitsu 8.4 and did the recovery , smae thing happened , that
flashing dot again

should i use only WD or what is the problem exactly???

one more question, i tried to take that WD off the case to send it for
warranty but it sounded like escaping from jail is much easier, the screws r
soldered into the sheets and i cant it off, any help with that as well?

thnx

comp.sys.hp.hardware 5412 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Check the drive jumper settings on any replacement drive.  Make sure the drive
is set to the master jumper setting.   Next, enter the system BIOS setup and
make sure that the drive has been detected properly by the BIOS.   Then boot
from a Windows setup diskette for your operating system, FDISK to create a FAT32
partition, reboot, FORMAT the partition, then try the recovery... Ben Myers

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 03:27:29 GMT, "cell phone repair" <noneishere@cellrepair.us>
wrote:

>we had a power outage and i lost my WD 30gig, the recovery CD wont even
>format it, i tool a maxtore 6.4 from working pc and put it in the HP, the
>bios reads the maxtor but all i see after that is a flashing dot nothing
>more, nothing less.
>
>i took an old fujitsu 8.4 and did the recovery , smae thing happened , that
>flashing dot again
>
>should i use only WD or what is the problem exactly???
>

>one more question, i tried to take that WD off the case to send it for
>warranty but it sounded like escaping from jail is much easier, the screws r
>soldered into the sheets and i cant it off, any help with that as well?
>
>thnx

0
ben_myers_spam_me_no

new hard drive + old hard drive
I think I need you guys help here. My old custom-built computer's hard drive is running out of space and it's messed up and registry doesn't look good. I was given used 20GB and try to install as local(bootable) hard drive(C:) and want to use old hard drive(13GB) as back-up storage(F:) I have XP installed now and have a CD for XP and want to clean install on new 20GB. I know to how to hook up and set up master and slave and configure bios etc and install XP with clean installation. What I want to find out is I want to use the program in old hard drive. As far as I know,I...

how hard to replace titanium internal hard drive? How to clone old hard drive onto it?
Hi all - I have a 2001 titanium laptop with a 20 Gig hard drive. The thing is getting too full and I'm toying with the idea of getting a bigger one and replacing it. Questions: 1) how hard is it to do myself? Is it easy to ruin/break something or is it pretty simple to do it right? 2) are there instructions somewhere on-line? 3) are there different brands of drives I can buy? If so, any suggestions for good ones or ones to avoid? and 4) I don't want to re-install the OS, software, preferences, GUI behavior, etc. Is it possible to clone my internal drive onto the new one s...

Underside hard drive coolers bad for hard drives
Now....I just remembered something. A while ago, I had a problem with my WD hard drive. I sent in for RMA. No problem with that. Now, I have to also send in my Seagate HD as well due to many allocated bad sectors. What seems to be the common link between these two drives is that I used a cheap hard drive cooler, the one you fit on the underside of a hard drive. Could it be possible that the cooler is causing vibration issues and this is causing the hard drive to exhibit problems over time? Frustrated wrote: > Now....I just remembered something. A while ago, ...

copy a program from hard drive to usb hard drive
i want to copy a program that is already installed on my computer to a external usb hard drive to copy to another computer, can anyone help? is there a way or program to do this? thankyou ============== Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups. ...

hard drive power sequencer, hard drive startup sequencer
Does anyone make a power sequencer that could be used to startup hard drives sequentially rather than all at once? I'd like to put 4 HDs in my PC, and I don't want to load the power supply with spinning up all 4 HDs at the same time. *TimDaniels* For IDE drives? Nope, can't be done. They only draw 2A @ 12v, so you only need a 250W power supply. "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message news:BfidnXwxc52mqciiXTWJkw@comcast.com... | Does anyone make a power sequencer that | could be used to startup hard drives sequentially | rathe...

Syncing folders
Hi. I have an external Hard Drive - I keep MP3 etc. on it I want a folder on my MacBook Pro hard disk that syncs to it Is this possible ben.necho@yahoo.com wrote: > Hi. > > I have an external Hard Drive - I keep MP3 etc. on it > > I want a folder on my MacBook Pro hard disk that syncs to it > > Is this possible === I use "arRsync" from .......... http://arrsync.sourceforge.net/ ... free and opensource === mikehes@gmail.com wrote: > ben.necho@yahoo.com wrote: > > Hi. > > > > I have an external Hard Drive - I keep MP3 etc. on it...

Slow hard drive to hard drive transfer for mpeg files
I just hooked up a new Simpletech usb 2.0 drive. I'm having an odd problem. If I try to copy or move, for example, a 2 gigabyte mpeg file from my internal IDE hard drive to the external drive, it takes forever. The progress box showing the copy or move estimates it will take over an hour. However, if I try to copy or move the equivalent size (2 gigabytes) of non-mpeg files--pdf, word, jpeg, etc.--the transfer takes place in less than a minute. I have another computer with usb 2.0 drive that does not have this issue. Anybody have any idea what might be going on? Is there a problem...

Premade external hard drive or internal hard drive with enclosure?
Hi, My WD mybook external hardrive died, and now i need a new one for my laptop (which has th elaptop firewire conneciton, which isn't the same as the pc firewire connection that most external harddrives come with, thus need to use usb) So I'm thinking of getting the following toshiba 320 gb external ( see link below). However I have also been considering getting a regular internal harddrive and enclosure. would this be better in terms of reliability and speed? How difficult is this to set up? If this is better any recommendations for a 300-500 gb drive and enclosure? T...

Replacing a boot hard drive A with another hard drive A', while preserving the data in A
I have a Linux box L with three hard drives, A, B and C. B and C contain just user data, whereas all the OS data (that is, things like /usr, /etc, /boot etc.) lives in A. I would like to replace A with an all new hard drive A'. What is the least painful way of achieving this? In an ideal world what I'd like to do is the following: 1) Install A' in some other Linux box L' that is accessible from L by NFS. 2) Replicate A on A' over the NFS. (How's this done, by the way?) 3) Replace A with A'. That is, remove A from L, and A' from L'; install A&#...

FT: 6.4gb desktop hard drives....I need laptop hard drives
I have at least 50 6.4gb hard drives(these go in your desktop or tower, most are western digital and some are maxtor). I'd like to trade some or all of these for 4gb or 5gb laptop hard drives, the laptop drives must fit into an ibm thinkpad 600. to email me go here: http://www.geocities.com/pauldbz/ ...

Help
My sys is running under XP SP2 & Athlon 2000. Currently the system recognizes all 4 hard drives and their associated partitions. I loaded XP onto a backup Hard Drive, leaving the remaining 3 data drives as they were. Booting up with the new drive, all drives are see by BIOS as the system boots. Windowz see two drives properly (disk 1 (Logical G & H) & 2 (Logical C)), but does not see disk 3 (Logical E) at all and doesn't see the partition data on disk 0 (Logical D & F). If I swap back to my original "C" drive (disk 2), all of the remaining driv...

External Hard Drive (USB) recognizes hardware but not drives
I pulled a IBM Travelstar disk from a T21 (I know it works fine, the problem on the laptop was with the motherboard). I connected it to a Argosy HD260 external hard disk case (USB connection). On connecting to an XP box, the system recognizes an IBM-DJSA-220 USB Device, but no drive letter appear (the disk was used on Win2K, so I assume it is NTFS, and has two partitions). How can I see the two volumes on the disk to access the data? Thanks <aribloch@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1164540238.912622.152430@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > > I pulled a IBM Travelstar disk from a T21 (I know it works fine, the > problem on the laptop was with the motherboard). I connected it to a > Argosy HD260 external hard disk case (USB connection). On connecting to > an XP box, the system recognizes an IBM-DJSA-220 USB Device, but no > drive letter appear (the disk was used on Win2K, so I assume it is > NTFS, and has two partitions). > > How can I see the two volumes on the disk to access the data? > > Thanks aribloch: These USB external HDD non-recognition problems in the XP environment have been a source of continuing irritation (not to say aggravation) to many of us. For what it's worth we've put together a kind of checklist for troubleshooting this kind of problem which I've listed below. But before getting to them you might want to try the following... I'm assuming your reference ...

Plastic insulator for laptop hard drive (preventing short circuits on hard drive caddy)
Hi, I need to replace a hard drive in a laptop. The hard drive is mounted in a metal caddy. There's a brown plastic insulator glued to the metal caddy to prevent the circuit board of the original hard drive touching the metal and cause a short circuit. The plastic is custom-cut for the original hard drive (the circuit board doesn't cover the entire hard drive top surface). The new hard drive has a circuit board covering the whole hard drive top surface. So there's an area where the circuit board touches the metal of the caddy. The question is : Where can we buy some pl...

100GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm versus 160GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
I am customizing a thinkpad. I read some discussion about 5400 rpm vs 7200rpm and cannot make a deciison. If I am getting a laptop that is Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz 800MHz 4MBL2) with 2GB RAM, and (also gettign Intel Turbo Memory 1GB - this is hrad druve cache), what should I choose between the two below for hard drive that are the same price? 100GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm [$60.00] [Popular upgrade] 38% of customers who purchased a T Series upgraded to this hard drive versus 160GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm [$60.00] In news:1188770331.049935.254200@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com, ...

Hard times with hard drive...
Hi, all... Just got an 80-gig Western Digital IDE drive. I'm trying to use the thing on my A4000's built-in IDE port. Yeah, yeah, I know, but hey, if you can refer me to a good IDE controller that won't crawl an Amiga to a halt or make the mouse very jerky, I'd love to know about it. Now...the problem is that when I partition this thing, save changes to the drive, and reboot, I get an endless loop of 8000 0004 gurus during startup. I've tried partitioning this thing both with PFS3 [SCSI-Direct] and FFS and got the same results. Just for fun I'd "Boot With No Startup-Sequence" and try to format the drive...some of the partitions actually format fine, but it seems that partitions after...I'd say about 30 gigabytes...give me write errors... Now....I did some searching in Google's Deja archive earlier and saw that there are many users using even BIGGER drives on the built-in IDE port and having zero problems. What should I be looking out for? BTW...I have a 13.6-gig drive on the same port. When partitioning the drive I use the same mask and maxtransfer, but then changing them doesn't make a heap of difference. Any thoughts? -- dauber (at) banana-and-louie (dot) org / dauber.50megs.com Amiga 4000 Power Tower Mk2 * GVP 4060 * OS 3.9/BB2/DOpus 5.82 2MB chip/144 fast * Picasso IV * Prelude ZII * GVP I/O Extender * Highway USB OK...thinking that maybe for some reason, there's a 20-gig limit on the built...

Plastic insulator for laptop hard drive (preventing short circuits on hard drive caddy) #2
Hi, I need to replace a hard drive in a laptop. The hard drive is mounted in a metal caddy. There's a brown plastic insulator glued to the metal caddy to prevent the circuit board of the original hard drive touching the metal and cause a short circuit. The plastic is custom-cut for the original hard drive (the circuit board doesn't cover the entire hard drive top surface). The new hard drive has a circuit board covering the whole hard drive top surface. So there's an area where the circuit board touches the metal of the caddy. The question is : Where can we buy some pl...

Driving a hard drive motor
Title says it all. Most motors that spin the disc assembly in hard drives seem to have four connectors. The one I have in front of me seems to have three coils connected to a common with about 2 OHM resistance for each coil. Does anyone know the precise details? Any help gratefully received. Jochen -- ----------------------------------------------- Jochen Lueg jochen.lueg@argonet.co.uk http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/tudor In article <4c12d1bafdtudor@argonet.co.uk>, Jochen Lueg <tudor@argonet.co.uk> wrote: > Title says it all. > Most motors that spi...

SOLUTION! IBM Hard Drive only recognized as 33GB hard drive, but is more >>>82.3GB
KEYWORDS: IBM Hard Drive 33GB 32.83GB 82.3GB FDisk Windows XP NTFS FAT32 work full capacity maximum limitation jumpers Hi everyone, I read a bunch of these newsgroups for the last couple days and have spent several hours trying to fix my problem with no luck. Finally after rereading some of the posts and rethinking the problem I have finally fixed my problem. So, Dust off that old hard drive and make it work! I did! Here was my problem: I got a new computer that has an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe with an Intel P4-3.0Ghz HT chip and 1 GB of DDRAM. It came with a new 115GB hard dr...

how to check whether a drive is a network drive or drive from attached hard-disk
Hi, Few very simple questions. Is there a way to detect whether a drive is a mapped network drive or not in Windows? Also, how can I get a list of drive letters currently in use in the system? Your help is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance. With regards, -Shailesh shailesh wrote: > Hi, > > Few very simple questions. > > Is there a way to detect whether a drive is a mapped network drive or > not in Windows? > > Also, how can I get a list of drive letters currently in use in the > system? http://tgolden.sc.sabren.com/python/wmi_cookbook.html#find-drive-t...

FS: 3 Hard Drives
1st bid wins! 3 Hard Drives - 20gb 10gb 6gb (drive 20 gig) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5115747121 5 Western Digital 6.4gb gig Hard Drives (drive 6 gig) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6700806547 ...

Ubuntu Lurid crapware: "it bricked two hard drives...I don't have too many more hard drives to brick"
"The first time I figured that the hard drive failed at a coincidental time. But now it has happened, exactly the same, to a SECOND hard drive! .... This same disk was happily running Ubuntu 0810 just before I turned it off to install 1004, and had been for about six months. It was turned off and on perhaps every day or 2 or 3, always worked perfectly. The second disk had been off for six months, having been running up until then running ... 0810 at that time. When I replaced the first disk, the machine got through the BIOS fine, booted knoppix. I zero'ed the disk...

Creating a hard drive image
Hi, I have never seen this sort of hardware setup before (setup sun and ia servers before, worked with old hardware before, but never saw this setup). What this site has is a rack of boards, that sort of look like old mainframe multiplexer controller boards ... but htis one rack has a SPARC board that connects to a box above it, which holds an enclosed hard drive, about 20 gb. It reportedly (couldnt connect to it one day to run commands to see exactly what it has hardware and software wise) is running 5.7 SunOS under a WinXP OS. It reportedly has five 4gb partitions, one or more of which m...

Hard drive dead?
My wife's MAC 7200 won't boot. She gets a small box with a flashing ? in the middle. When she uses a boot disk, all that shows up on her desktop is the CD drive that the boot disk is in. I have a PC SCSI hard drive that I tried and though the cables fit and the drive spins up and it shows with the boot disk, I can't initialize it probably because it is low level formated for a PC. Is there a solution to this problem other than buying a new hard drive? The computer is so old it hardly seems worth it and she uses it very rarely. Thanks Henry In article <WfOdnSsIlr7RX...

Dead hard drive, or what?
Hi all...I've searched for this but haven't found quite the right topic, so I apologize if this is a green/newbie question. I have a slightly more than 1 year old Pavilion ze4500. The power supply has already been replaced once under warranty, but the warranty is now expired. The hard dive, a Toshiba 40G unit, started whining and then just out and out died. When you start the computer, the blue HD access light flashes once but the drive does not spin. The computer instead goes to a setup menu, and eventually says, "No Operating System". When I look at the self diagnostic screen, for hard disk it says no media present. I assumed it was a dead hard drive and went and picked up a replacement Toshiba 40G unit at Fry's. When I swapped out the unit, same result. Is it possible that I have a bad controller or connection of some sort? I tried to remove the lower case to look at the connections where the hard drive plugs in, but there is one set of screws or something right in the center of the unit, invisible to me, holding it together. Any suggestions? One more question--I assumed that if the HD would spin, I could use the Windows XP install disks to format and then install Windows XP on the bare hard drive. Am I barking up the wrong tree? HP has been a nightmare to work with...the power supply replacement was a fiasco, they lost this PC twice, coming and going, and their customer support people were highly unprofessional and quite hard to work wi...

Web resources about - 8668c hard drive is dead, wont accept any other hard drive - comp.sys.hp.hardware

Willingness to accept - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Willingness to accept (WTA) is the amount that а person is willing to accept to abandon a good or to put up with something negative, such as ...

Valentine’s Day Heartbreak: Facebook Won’t Accept ‘New’ Dating Site Advertisers Until Feb. 15
Facebook is telling dating sites looking to begin advertising on the social network that it will begin accepting new applications for ads from ...

TENNESSEE SENATOR STACEY CAMPFIELD "DON'T SAY GAY" ACCEPTS DEL SHORES DEBATE CHALLENGE FOR $1000 FEE ...
Del Shores hat eine Notiz mit dem Titel TENNESSEE SENATOR STACEY CAMPFIELD "DON'T SAY GAY" ACCEPTS DEL SHORES DEBATE CHALLENGE FOR $1000 FEE! ...

Facebook Comments Box Plugin Now Accepts AOL for Login
The recently released version of Facebook’s Comments Box social plugin for third-party websites now accepts AOL accounts for login. Initially ...

App Store - uCharge: Accept Credit Cards
Get uCharge: Accept Credit Cards on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

AMY WINEHOUSE GRAMMY WIN, PARENTS ACCEPT, THOUGHTS TURN TO WHITNEY HOUSTON - YouTube
Tony Bennett asked Amy Winehouse's parents Mitch and Janis to come up to accept the Grammy Award for his and Amy's pairing on "Body & Soul," ...

Dreaming and fighting, the Kurdish guerillas who say 'to be free you must accept suffering'
The Marxist guerrillas of the PJAK, the Party for Free Life in Kurdistan, dream of 'total decentralisation of power' to Kurds in Iran, but also ...

Transcona LGBT candidate accepts Wab Kinew's apology for past homophobic lyrics
... newly-minted NDP candidate for Transcona says she thinks party running-mate Wab Kinew's use of the word "fag" in past hip-hop music is unacceptable, ...

3M cards added to Apple Pay in first two days in China as American Apparel set to accept it in the U.S ...
Apple Pay looks to have been a big hit in China, Internet Retailer reporting that three million bank cards were activated in the first two days ...

AP’s Kathy Gannon Set to Accept Syracuse University Award
The Tully Free Speech Award, given annually by Syracuse University’s Newhouse School, honors “journalists who have persevered in the face of ...