Are both color and black cartridges necessary for HP 1400 Printer Scanner?

I am a user of HP 1400 Printer cum Scanner which provides two slots for
one black and one color cartridge.
If the color cartridge has dried up and I am urgently in need of
printing out a document in black, can I print in black keeping the
exhasted color cartridge in the cradle? Have I to press the Black
button on the Printer for starting the print operation?
Similarly if the black cartridge has dried up, can I print in color,
keeping the exhausted black cartridge in the cradle as a dummy? Have I
to press the Color Button on the Printer to start operation?
Why doesn't HP provide a Manual of instructions for handling different
situations of this type?

P. Jayant

comp.sys.hp.hardware 5412 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

"p jayant" <p.n.jayant@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I am a user of HP 1400 Printer cum Scanner which provides two slots for
> one black and one color cartridge.
> If the color cartridge has dried up and I am urgently in need of
> printing out a document in black, can I print in black keeping the
> exhasted color cartridge in the cradle? Have I to press the Black
> button on the Printer for starting the print operation?
> Similarly if the black cartridge has dried up, can I print in color,
> keeping the exhausted black cartridge in the cradle as a dummy? Have I
> to press the Color Button on the Printer to start operation?
> Why doesn't HP provide a Manual of instructions for handling different
> situations of this type?
>
> P. Jayant

What does the owners manual say?

Honu.

Hertz_Donut wrote:
> "p jayant" <p.n.jayant@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I am a user of HP 1400 Printer cum Scanner which provides two slots for
> > one black and one color cartridge.
> > If the color cartridge has dried up and I am urgently in need of
> > printing out a document in black, can I print in black keeping the
> > exhasted color cartridge in the cradle? Have I to press the Black
> > button on the Printer for starting the print operation?
> > Similarly if the black cartridge has dried up, can I print in color,
> > keeping the exhausted black cartridge in the cradle as a dummy? Have I
> > to press the Color Button on the Printer to start operation?
> > Why doesn't HP provide a Manual of instructions for handling different
> > situations of this type?
> >
> > P. Jayant
> >

> What does the owners manual say?

I have already pointed out that HP gave no Manual along with the
Printer/Scanner; only an installation disk, the driver on which was
already outdated. I had to download the latest.

P. Jayant

> Honu.

Are both color and black cartridges necessary for HP 1400 Printer Scanner? #2
I am a user of HP 1400 Printer cum Scanner which provides two slots for one black and one color cartridge. If the color cartridge has dried up and I am urgently in need of printing out a document in black, can I print in black keeping the exhasted color cartridge in the cradle? Have I to press the Black button on the Printer for starting the print operation? Similarly if the black cartridge has dried up, can I print in color, keeping the exhausted black cartridge in the cradle as a dummy? Have I to press the Color Button on the Printer to start operation? Why doesn't HP provide a Manual of instructions for handling different situations of this type? P. Jayant ...

Is it necessary for both black & color cartridges to have ink with HP 1400 Printer/Scanner
I am a user of HP 1400 Printer cum Scanner which provides two slots for one black and one color cartridge. If the color cartridge has dried up and I am urgently in need of printing out a document in black, can I print in black keeping the exhasted color cartridge in the cradle? Have I to press the Black button on the Printer for starting the print operation? Similarly if the black cartridge has dried up, can I print in color, keeping the exhausted black cartridge in the cradle as a dummy? Have I to press the Color Button on the Printer to start operation? Why doesn't HP provide ...

HP Photosmart 8450 printer lost the fairly new HP Tri-Color Print Cartridge 97 cartridge...
Hello. Tonight, my very old HP Photosmart 8450 printer lost the fairly new HP Tri-Color Print Cartridge 97 cartridge (2014/08/24 Z; 1782606105249600) after I printed out a three/3 pages of B&W PDF application form after turning on the printer for a few minutes. The printer showed a blinking red print button border and its screen says "Color cartridge failed. Replace it, or ... remove it to print using ink-backup printing mode." I tried removing and reinserting the cartridge, turning off and on including unplugging its power cable, cleaning cartridge and print...

get HP color printer print black&white if some color cartridge is used up
the printer (HP Color LaserJet 3500) refuses to print anything until the supply is replaced. Isn't it really possible to print monochrome documents if one of the color (eg, cyan) cartridges ends? "A" <kkadrese@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:179c645b.0503230653.20e2c086@posting.google.com... > the printer (HP Color LaserJet 3500) refuses to print anything until > the supply is replaced. Isn't it really possible to print monochrome > documents if one of the color (eg, cyan) cartridges ends? > No. It uses the color inks to make the black look 'blacker'. No colors... no black. Not specific to HP... most other manufacturers do exactly the same thing. If you want grayscale it's best to use a laser printer. -- Cari (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging) ...

HP Photo Printers and HP 7410 Cartridges
Was wondering if anyone has really seen an appreciable difference between the HP 7410 regular tri-color cartridge and the photo tri-cartridge? Yes You get far more natural colors skin tones the #58 is well worth it "Mark Rosenbaum" <mhrose8989@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:zj7rd.76310$jE2.7685@bignews4.bellsouth.net... > Was wondering if anyone has really seen an appreciable difference between > the HP 7410 regular tri-color cartridge and the photo tri-cartridge? > "John" <john.boyzo@gmail.com> wrote in message news:cojvlf$o5f$1@possum.melbpc.org.au... > "Mark Rosenbaum" <mhrose8989@bellsouth.net> wrote in message > news:zj7rd.76310$jE2.7685@bignews4.bellsouth.net... >> Was wondering if anyone has really seen an appreciable difference between >> the HP 7410 regular tri-color cartridge and the photo tri-cartridge? > Yes > You get far more natural colors skin tones > the #58 is well worth it The Officejet 7410 uses a new series of cartridges. In the US the photo cartridge is a #99, and it replaces the black cartridge and works with the color cartridge. The #58 cartridge is not compatible with the Officejet 7410. The photo cartridge gives somewhat better graduations of tones, especially in light areas such as sky or faces. Regards, Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP ...

optional HP color cartridge for HP 812C ?
Greetings, Is their an optional color cartridge (number 23) for my HP 812 C ? either a cool color or additional color for my hp 812 C ? Thanks SC In article <1148660894.134211.75600@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, franktt2@excite.com says... > Is their an optional color cartridge (number 23) for my HP > 812 C ? either a cool color or additional color for my hp 812 C ? If I remember, the 812 only accepts the #45 (hi-capacity) or #15 (low- capacity) for black, and th...

What solvent(s) is/are used in HP deskjet cartridges? I have a HP DeskJet 940C and the cartridges are "15" (Black ) and "78" (Colour)
Ether? Methanol, ethanol? Are there different solvents for colour and black cartridges, BTW? Thanks in advance for any relevant reply! /D Dean Keaton wrote: > Ether? Methanol, ethanol? Are there different solvents for colour and > black cartridges, BTW? Thanks in advance for any relevant reply! /D I believe that the black ink uses dihydrogen monoxide for a solvent. The color one probably uses water as a solvent. -- ................................ Keepsake gift for young girls. Unique and personal one-of-a-kind. Builds strong minds 12 ways. Guaranteed satisfaction - courteous money back - keep bonus gifts http://www.alicebook.com "jbuch" <jbuch@CUTHERErevealed.net> wrote in message news:cdf49t11b3a@enews1.newsguy.com... > Dean Keaton wrote: > > > Ether? Methanol, ethanol? Are there different solvents for colour and > > black cartridges, BTW? Thanks in advance for any relevant reply! /D > > > I believe that the black ink uses dihydrogen monoxide for a solvent. > > The color one probably uses water as a solvent. http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/globalcitizenship/environment/productdata/ijmsdseng.html has links to MSDS data for various HP cartridges. There are many different ink types, but the few I looked up have dihydrogen monoxide as a large component :-). Regards, Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP MS MVP Printing/Imaging Stop joking around... ...

Any HP printer with individual colored ink cartridges?
I'm a long time HP printer user, and I'm looking at purchasing a new inkjet printer. I would like to save money by buying an inkjet that uses individual colored ink cartridges. Well, at least I think I'll save money. It seems HP does not make inkjet with individual ink cartridge for each color, is it? Also among the major printer manufacturer, like HP, Canon, Epson; it seems only HP build the print head in the ink cartridge. I have been very satisfied with HP printer, but I would like to try another brand. I have the impression HP inkjet printers are expensive to operate. Any ideas/opinions/comments welcomed. BTW, the Canon Pixma printers look interesting, especially the double-sided print feature. In message <bNXpd.194224$df2.13748@edtnps89>, Buyer <buyer@printer.com> writes >I'm a long time HP printer user, and I'm looking at purchasing a new inkjet >printer. I would like to save money by buying an inkjet that uses individual >colored ink cartridges. Well, at least I think I'll save money. It seems HP >does not make inkjet with individual ink cartridge for each color, is it? > >Also among the major printer manufacturer, like HP, Canon, Epson; it seems >only HP build the print head in the ink cartridge. I have been very >satisfied with HP printer, but I would like to try another brand. I have the >impression HP inkjet printers are expensive to operate. Any >ideas/opinio...

HP printer for home use that does not need a color cartridge installed??
Does anyoneone know of an HP inkjet printer for home use that works with just a black ink cartridge installed?? I just want a plain inkjet printer for home use to print things such as genealogy reports, e-mail, ETC. I do not print pics, graphics, etc. The few web pages I do print I do not care about the color pics. They can be in black. I can not see paying for color cartridges when I do not need them!! I know there may be other brands out there that fix what I want but I am looking for an HP inkjet - NOT OTHER TYPES!! Thanks in advance for any help! "krazy&qu...

HP error message : "incorrect black printer cartridge"
I have had an HP1210v PSC for about 2 years now. I recently got some flashing lights for the check print cartridge error light. The diagnostics in the HP director states that "the black printer cartridge is the wrong kind". I have had the same cartridge in there since installation, and I don't think this is an "out of ink" problem. I emailed HP, and they had several suggestions (none of which worked, duh, like cleaning the contacts and resetting the printer and whatnot). They have a patch which is supposed to fix this, but when executed it gives the error message "did not find an eleigible printer to update". Hp states this patch always works, which, obviously, it doesn't. They now say it must be a hardware problem, but if a patch exists, I'm guessing it must be a software prob of some sort. I haven't tried replacing the cartridge (20$), because I'm still guessing its a software problem. Any ideas??? On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 14:24:35 -0500, in comp.periphs.printers kwijybo <ertweuyrto@urtypoertpeorwut.com> wrote: >Any ideas??? IIRC, HP carts have an expiration date. Is your cart beyond this date? ---------- Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet@EdwardG.Ruf.com) http://EdwardGRuf.com Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote: > >>Any ideas??? > >IIRC, HP carts have an expiration date. Is your cart beyond this date? Didn't see the original message, but...

HP Laserjet 3200 (black & white) printer/fax/copier/scanner
When printing, I have just recently starting getting specks that fall into a column (a rather narrow band) on each page. The specks are quite evenly spaced out; they appear about four times on a page. I changed the toner not too long ago. On the Laserjet, there is a menu item for "clean printer". I ran this and it ran a paper through the printer slowly. Unfortunately, that wasn't successful. Any ideas what to do next? I'd appreciate some help. -Mike MY wrote: > > When printing, I have just recently starting getting specks that fall > into a column (a rather narrow band) on each page. The specks are > quite evenly spaced out; they appear about four times on a page. I > changed the toner not too long ago. On the Laserjet, there is a menu > item for "clean printer". I ran this and it ran a paper through the > printer slowly. Unfortunately, that wasn't successful. Any ideas > what to do next? I'd appreciate some help. > > -Mike It's my understanding that HP's don't have a corona wire. If I'm wrong about that, try cleaning that. The cart for an IBM 4029 has a tab that can be pulled in and out, which cleans something inside the cart. See if yours has something like that. That said, evenly spaced marks from a xerographic device are characteristic of a dirty drum. ...

HP 10 and HP 11 cartridges
I have a printer that uses HP11 cartridges. I also have some HP10 cartridges (unused). It's made me wonder if the ink formulations will be the same and if I can swap the HP10 ink into an empty HP11 housing? Anyone done this? I'd give it a go, but I thought I'd ask first, particularly if there's a difference in ink formulation between these units. Thanks, Paul ...

HP Director for HP 4570c scanner
I have an HP 4570c scanner that I moved from one computer to install on another. Scanner and software was working fine on th old computer. When I installed it on the new computer and try to use HP Director I keep getting this message. "An error occured communicating with the scanning device.Please ensure the scanning device is connected properly and try again." I can scan a document or picture using the HP Photo and Imaging tool but the client wants the HP Director. I have installed the HP Solution Centre and I keep getting the same error message. I do not have IE7 installed. I have removed and uninstalled all the HP scanning software and reinstalled but still running into the same issue. I'm puzzled why I can connect and scan using the HP Photo and Imaging but receive an error when I try to use the HP Director. Any help appreciated. Thanks, Steve ...

HP Photosmart C6380 All-in-one printer --- 564 XL Black cartridges come in many sizes -- Help!!
I have a HP Photosmart C6380 All-in-one printer that I bought about a year ago. I took my empty Black XL 564 cartridge (that is almost 1 inch thick) out of the HP Photosmart C6380 All-in-one printer. This cartridge also has a 5-sided symbol above the number. I went to Staples (where I bought the printer) to try and replace it. Found one for $28+ that said "Black 564 XL" and thought this was the one. It turned out to be only 3/4 inch thick and did not fit into my printer. How can I tell if I am purchasing the one inch thick Cartridge (the only one that fits), before...

hp and other printer cartridges
Does anyone know how to defeat the "ink out" message from a cartridge to its printer after refilling the cartridge? The assumption in the past is to be sure and keep the top half full of ink and not wait till the cartridge is empty before refilling, however this does not always work. Charles V. Rennaker Charles V. Rennaker wrote: >Does anyone know how to defeat the "ink out" message from a cartridge to its >printer after refilling the cartridge? > HP CARTS ARE NOT MADE TO REFILL. >The assumption in the past is to be >sure and keep t...

HP Printer Cartridges
I have an HP 750XI and the cartridges just ran out. My old 932C has the same colour cartridge which is full so I was able to swap them. The black cartridge in the 932C is #45 and is also almost full and the cartridge in the 750 is #15. They look identical but the 750 won't accept the #45. Is there anyway to fool the 750 into accepting the #45? tia -- Cheers! Jan ...

HP 960 C Deskjet printer
A puzzling issue - I have paviliion running win xp sp2 (about 4 years old) and have a minor glitch when I print a document from powerpoint 2003. I was able to find a newer driver (from late 2001) and tried to install it. But the printer driver assistant "wants to close" and send error message to microsoft. I have tried several times to do this update but it fails. I tried uninstalling the software from add/remove programs but nothing happens when I try to do that. HP support had me modify the registry and remove a subfolder relating to this printer, but that also did not help and i used system restore to revert. I also tried using the installation cd to remove. it did its routine but did not remove anything and the printer still works. I cannot help but wonder if the driver install program is defective. Since i can work around the glitch I am ready to give up - but thought I would ask about this alan Where did the newer driver come from, HP or Micro$oft? If the latter, I would strenuously avoid installing hardware driver updates from the Microsoft update web site. There are too many buggy hardware drivers there, and quality control seems to not exist. I have installed hardware updates from there and had graphics go south and network adapters stop working. What is the glitch printing a PowerPoint document? Have you tried a lower resolution? Sometimes the print files generated by Microsoft Office products are extremely bloated and cause pr...

Astech Hardcase for HP 32SII, HP 42S, HP 22S, HP 32S, HP 17BII, PIONEER SERIES
Just got some brand new Astech Industries hardcases. Email iqbal@tstt.net.tt for further information. Ideal hardcase for protecting your pioneer series calculator. ...

HP 38G HP 39G HP 40G
Ho una calcolatrice HP 40G ma non riesco a trovare i programmi che mi servono. Uso qualche programma della HP 38G che converto per la HP 39/40G Avete programmi per statistica e matematica? Come posso inserire dei file di testo nella calcolatrice? Grazie Per risposte in privato TOGLIQUESTOcezanne76@tiscali.itTOGLIQUESTO ...

HP 38G HP 39G HP 40G
Ho una calcolatrice HP 40G ma non riesco a trovare i programmi che mi servono. Uso qualche programma della HP 38G che converto per la HP 39/40G Avete programmi per statistica e matematica? Come posso inserire dei file di testo nella calcolatrice? Grazie Per risposte in privato TOGLIQUESTOcezanne76@tiscali.itTOGLIQUESTO ...

HP 38G HP 39G HP 40G
Ho una calcolatrice HP 40G ma non riesco a trovare i programmi che mi servono. Uso qualche programma della HP 38G che converto per la HP 39/40G Avete programmi per statistica e matematica? Come posso inserire dei file di testo nella calcolatrice? Grazie Per risposte in privato TOGLIQUESTOcezanne76@tiscali.itTOGLIQUESTO ...

HP 38G, HP 39G, HP 40G and HP 49G Pinout Question...
Hi there, Can anyone please tell me if the HP 38G, HP 39G, HP 40G and HP 49G (not G+) have the same pinout? Also do they all use the same ten pin double row connector, 2mm headers? Also if yes above, do any other HP calculators have the same pinouts as above? Thanx. Therese wrote: > Can anyone please tell me if the HP 38G, HP 39G, HP 40G and HP 49G (not G+) > have the same pinout? Also do they all use the same ten pin double row > connector, 2mm headers? I know these calculators have the same hardware (apart from memory), then they have the same pinout. I know at least ...

HP 38G HP 39G HP 40G
Ho una calcolatrice HP 40G ma non riesco a trovare i programmi che mi servono. Uso qualche programma della HP 38G che converto per la HP 39/40G Avete programmi per statistica e matematica? Come posso inserire dei file di testo nella calcolatrice? Grazie Per risposte in privato TOGLIQUESTOcezanne76@tiscali.itTOGLIQUESTO ...

Web resources about - Are both color and black cartridges necessary for HP 1400 Printer Scanner? - comp.sys.hp.hardware

Cartridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TI-99/4A Pitfall cartridge demo - YouTube
Retrocloud's adaptation of the classic Pitfall game - for the TI-99/4A. Filip has remade the classic game, and it works in a 32K EPROM! (Sorry ...

Customers misled by 'remanufactured' printer cartridges
Customers misled by 'remanufactured' printer cartridges

Atari's E.T. The Extraterrestrial cartridges found in landfill
A documentary film production company has found buried in a New Mexico landfill hundreds of the Atari E.T. The Extraterrestrial game cartridges ...

Diggers find hundreds of Atari 'E.T.' and other game cartridges in New Mexico landfill - CTV News
A documentary film production company has found buried in a New Mexico landfill hundreds of the Atari "E.T." game cartridges that some call the ...

Dollar Shave Club Claims to Top Schick As No. 2 Cartridge - CMO Strategy - Advertising Age
Dollar Shave Club claims it passed Schick to become the No. 2 razor cartridge brand by volume in July, a little more than three years after the ...

Rocker Releases Album on Nintendo Gaming Cartridges
Rocker Jon Black, who performs as Fort Atlantic, decided to offer his latest album on original Nintendo cartridges. As the music industry's brick-and-mortar ...

City of Alamogordo votes to auction off 800 Atari cartridges
Megan Geuss The city of Alamogordo, NM voted late Tuesday night to auction off 800 of the 1,300 Atari cartridges that were dug up during an ...

This is why our brains lied to us about blowing into Nintendo cartridges
Before they were the basis of hip soaps or remade as even hipper clocks, Nintendo’s cartridge games were a source of delight and vexation for ...